41 replies to this topic

#31 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 08:17 AM

I think Ralph Fiennes would be perfect for Bond. Something unexpected.
And George "Can't you see what a regular, nice guy I am even though I will make fun of people with Alzheimers" Clooney for Bond? Spare me.

He's already destroyed one franchise. Let's not allow him to do it to another....

#32 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 01:44 PM

Originally posted by iceberg
I think Ralph Fiennes would be perfect for Bond.  Something unexpected.  
And George "Can't you see what a regular, nice guy I am even though I will make fun of people with Alzheimers" Clooney for Bond?  Spare me.  
He's already destroyed one franchise.  Let's not allow him to do it to another....

Here , here ! Words of wisdom .

#33 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Matt Helm
My bad.  I guess I need to take my head out of my... literary Bond, and take a look at the postings for our cinematic hero.  Sorry about that.

Hey, no problem, Mr. Helm. It seems Jackman is the real fan favourite de facto, but for some reason we gets left off polls like the one Fiennes won.

#34 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 02:08 PM

George "Can't you see what a regular, nice guy I am even though I will make fun of people with Alzheimers" Clooney

I guess that would be in reference to Charlton "Let's organise a NRA meeting in a town where several children where just shot" Heston ?

#35 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 03:51 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
Here , here ! Words of wisdom .

Oh please, look at Clooney's resume after 'Batman & Robin'; 'Three Kings', 'The Perfect Storm', 'Out of Sight', 'Ocean's 11', 'O Brother Where Art Thou' and of course his amazing directorial debut 'Confessions of a Dangerous Mind'. The only reason why the Batman franchise died is because of Joel Schumacher. Clooney was by far the best thing in it.

But Bond should never be played by an American. This poll is probably the worst Bond related poll I've seen on the net. Nobody on the poll should or will play Bond (with the possible exception of Owen). Let's move on please.

#36 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes

I guess that would be in reference to Charlton "Let's organise a NRA meeting in a town where several children where just shot" Heston ?

I'm curious. Could you list the particulars of the incident that you described? Or is it just a jab at someone with which you don't agree?

I do not wish to turn this thread into a political debate. I simply am tiring of anecdotal comments with no backup, so I am calling people on that.

Sadly, crime occurs everywhere. People die. It would be impossible to find a community in which to hold a meeting that was without some history of murder.

To infer that Charlton Heston actually sat down and thought, "Lots of kids have been shot in Anytown, USA. Let's have a meeting THERE!!" is insulting to someone who marched with MLK, Jr. in support of civil rights and has shown that he is a good and honorable man by his actions.

Letting off a little steam,
Stu

#37 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 04:51 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive

.... Bond should never be played by an American. This poll is probably the worst Bond related poll I've seen on the net. Nobody on the poll should or will play Bond (with the possible exception of Owen). Let's move on please.

CrashDrive ! After weeks or should i say months of ramming down everyone's throat Dominic West as James Bond . Now you want to change the tenor of the debate . It's just a fan poll ! No one seriously considers George Clooney for Bond .

#38 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 05:03 PM

The main purpose of my reply was to point out that George Clooney was not the reason the Batman franchise failed. I haven't mentioned Dominic West once in this forum, eventhough the topic is 'The Next Bond' so I don't agree that I'm 'ramming him down everyone's throat'. So far, you're the only one I've seen complaining. What's with that? Why not push for an unknown actor? He could definately use the name recognition. I don't see any harm> And for the record, my first choice is Hugh Jackman and it looks like he'll end up with the gig.

#39 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 05:39 PM

Stuart I believe it's a reference to Heston wanting to hold an NRA rally in Columbine shortly after the massacre at their High School. It's why Michael Moore inteviewed him in his documentary Bowling for Columbine. I believe it was a very poor decision by Heston regardless if one supports the NRA or not. But then I also think Clooney's remarks about Heston's Alzheimers were in bad taste, not so much his first joke but his follow up where he basacally said Heston got what he deserved, and it was fuzzy as to whether he meant the pot shot jokes on his illness or the illness itself.

Back to initial subject at hand, Clooney as Bond... no no a thousand times no. And yeah he stunk as Batman it just so happened that so did the rest of the movie.

#40 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 06:45 PM

MBE,

Ah. I did not know that.

My apologies to Blue Eyes for appearing snippy.

#41 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes

Your guess would be right.

#42 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 01:26 AM

Clooney to blame for killing the franchise? No. I blame the producers for putting together the worst movie ever made and for thinking that the audience didn’t like Batman mearly because they didn’t want to watch this junk. Ed Wood would have made a better Batman film.

There was one good part of Batman And Robin, when Mr. Freeze put on his goggles, they looked really cool. That moment lasted about a half a second.