Ralph Fiennes as Bond?

41 replies to this topic

#1 CraigLogan

CraigLogan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 11:37 PM

I Just Recently watched "The Avengers" again and i personally th:confused:ink he'd be a good Bond. What do you think? :) Your thoughts are greatly appreciated

#2 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 12:05 AM

The Avengers movie is generally viewed by the critics as one of the greatest abominations against cinema ever, but I actually like it. Not a great film, but a decent night out.

Of course, the fact that one of my favourite actors of all time is in it helps tremendously. Have you seen Schindler's List, Red Dragon, Sunshine or Spider, to name but a few? Fantastic films, fantastic acting by Ralph Fiennes.

I'm not sure if he would want to be Bond, but if he is willing, I'll support him all the way.

#3 Dr Slickminge

Dr Slickminge

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 12:16 AM

Far too much integrity, in an acting sense, to do it more than once I think - which probably writes him off. Can't imagine him glad-handing the press and even pretending to ejoy it.

#4 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 12:14 PM

He's a scary, scary man. When I heard he was in a romantic comedy with Jennifer Lopez, I thought he was going to kill her. He and Christopher Walken should do a movie together.

#5 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 01:08 AM

God no!

#6 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 06:03 AM

Soory to go off topic, but in Red Dragon he plays an American serial killer (with Sir Anthony). So, no American can ever be a Bristish secret agent, but any old Brit can be an American serial killer. hmmm :)

#7 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 01:59 PM

Great actor- would be a great Bond. But I suspect this would have been better suited to him 10 years ago than now. He would be interesting in the role if the producers wanted to go into serious FRWL mode.

#8 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 08:23 PM

I greatly admire Fiennes as an actor (absolutely superb job in Schindler's List and Red Dragon), but he just isn't right for the role of Bond. Like Dr. Slickminge said, I don't think he would be able to do the role more than three times (if that), and wouldn't like the press. Plus, I hear he's rather short (for Bond) .

#9 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:08 PM

I could go for Fiennes as Bond. He might not have the perfect look, but if they fix him up a bit he will definately do. I think his acting do very well in a Bond film...

#10 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:31 PM

Love the suits that Ralph Fiennes wore in "The Avengers" . The rest of the films was a disappointment .

#11 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 01:55 PM

Just "borrowed" this from the NTL homepage:

Fiennes favourite to be next 007
2003-04-30 14:33:27

Actor Ralph Fiennes has been voted by film fans as their favourite to be the next James Bond.

The brooding star of The English Patient and Schindler's List beat the likes of Colin Firth and Robbie Williams as the best man to play 007.

Almost a quarter of people surveyed - 24 per cent - thought Fiennes would make the perfect replacement for current Bond Pierce Brosnan.

The 40-year-old actor recently showed off his romantic leading man credentials opposite Jennifer Lopez in Maid In Manhattan.

Movie heartthrob George Clooney came second in the poll by amazon.co.uk, with 15 per cent of film fans believing the role should go to the US star.

Colin Firth, who got pulses racing as Mr Darcy in the TV adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, tied with fellow British actor Clive Owen for third place with 12 per cent.

And 11 per cent chose chart star Robbie Williams despite his lack of acting credentials.

Hollywood heavyweights Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck and Russell Crowe got only 10 per cent of the vote between them.

Hugh Grant, Jude Law and Ewan McGregor were all missing from the list.

The survey of 1,000 people was conducted by Amazon to celebrate the forthcoming DVD and video release of the latest Bond blockbuster Die Another Day.

Unsurprisingly, women favoured Clooney, with 20 per cent voting for him, compared to 19 per cent for Fiennes.

#12 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 01:58 PM

Would Clooney be as good as Bond as he was as Batman?

#13 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 02:05 PM

Fiennes, Firth, Clooney, Crowe, McGregor, Affleck, DiCaprio, Williams?? These were the options? No wonder Fiennes won. But it won't happen. Eon made comments that they thought Fiennes was too weird to play Bond, at 5'11 he's a little short (Bond actors are always around 6'2) and he's getting too old to replace Brosnan.

The Bond fans have already decided: according to thispoll they want Hugh Jackman to replace Brosnan. And that's fine with me.

#14 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 02:06 PM

...wrong for the Avengers, wrong for Bond.

#15 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 03:37 PM

His terrible disrepect for the character of Steed in The Avengers scratched him of my list of potential Bonds.

#16 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 05:47 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Would Clooney be as good as Bond as he was as Batman?

NO !!! George Clooney is the reason that there is no more Batman films. He destroyed the character .

#17 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 05:50 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
NO !!!  George Clooney is the reason that there is no more Batman films. He destroyed the character .

I’d think that was ChandlerB’s point. A Musk Ox could have played Batman better than Clooney did.

#18 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 05:55 PM

An ox did play Batman better, didn't you see Batman Forever? Ohhh, that wasn't nice.

#19 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 06:57 PM

George Clooney was perfect as Batman. The franchise was destroyed by Joel Schumacher. Good thing he'll never come close to directing a Bond film.

#20 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 07:01 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive
George Clooney was perfect as Batman. The franchise was destroyed by Joel Schumacher. Good thing he'll never come close to directing a Bond film.

Remember this is a James Bond post . Yet the best Batman was Michael Keaton . Either way Batman is finish . We don't need George Clooney .

#21 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 07:08 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive
Eon made comments that they thought Fiennes was too weird to play Bond, at 5'11 he's a little short (Bond actors are always around 6'2) and he's getting too old to replace Brosnan.

CrashDrive, Just what is weird about Ralph Fiennes . Second Brosnan looks rather short to me . He can't be more than 6' . It's the cut of the Brioni suits that make him look taller .

#22 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 07:58 PM

Brosnan according to The Making of Goldeneye book where they give all his measurements in the back from shoe size to height is 6'1. It's also what he was listed as when he did Steele back in the 80's. But yeah I've seen it listed as 6'2 in other places. And watching him over the years standing next to and acting against other actors 6'1 or so looks about right to me...unless eveyone else in Hollywood is also drastically shorter than they claim. And he looked about the same before he ever wore Brioni for Bond. Famke Jansen listed at 5'11 (and more likely 6' tall; tall women often deduct an inch to make sure they're not 6'... go figure) and standing in heels was about the same height as PB in GE. John Cleese is 6'5 he looks about 3-4 inches taller than PB, same with Christopher Lee. In the photos of several of the Bonds together (sans Connery) he's easily as tall or taller than the others. Basically they're all men over 6. But an inch here and there is no big deal to me.

As for what's weird about Ralph Fiennes... quite a bit... a brilliant actor and yet very eccentric. He also excells in playing darker characters, his forays into more mainstream stuff never really sit right. He actually came in for Bond in '94 but his idea for the character was to make him much more darker than Dalton in LTK. Cubby said no thanks and that was that. And looking at his performance in The Avengers well I think he made the right choice, completely charmless and totally stiff.

#23 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 10:49 PM

Fiennes is a great actor like many have already said, but I would not be thrilled about him playing Bond. He would be good in a dark film, but he's probably too weird to make a Bond film into alot of fun.

#24 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:13 AM

I can't see Fiennes playing Bond or the Saint. Features are too angular, maybe?

#25 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 06:08 PM

http://www.ananova.c.../sm_775692.html

Interesting...Wish I could participate in these polls...

#26 Sam 007 Copper

Sam 007 Copper

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 07:37 PM

You posted this over on Universalexports. Ahh well. Iwould like too take part in these polls asswell.

#27 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 11:11 PM

Originally posted by Sam 007 Copper
You posted this over on Universalexports. Ahh well. Iwould like too take part in these polls asswell.

Is that a crime? :)

#28 Matt Helm

Matt Helm

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 03:05 AM

How come nobody ever mentions Hugh Jackman? He has the height, the look, and the rising star power. I know he's Australian but I'm sure he could pull off the english accent. Take a look at him in Swordfish (if you can take your eyes off of Halle Berry) and you'll agree that he could pull it off. EON should snatch him up now as I'm sure he doesn't want to be pinned down as Wolverine forever.

#29 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 03:18 AM

Originally posted by Matt Helm (edited)
How come nobody ever mentions Hugh Jackman?

:eek: Whatjutawkinbout, Willis? Jackman has got tons of mentions. Last time I checked he lead the forum poll for favourite as the next Bond.

#30 Matt Helm

Matt Helm

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 03:14 AM

My bad. I guess I need to take my head out of my... literary Bond, and take a look at the postings for our cinematic hero. Sorry about that.