32 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 11:05 PM

Everybody knows that every Bond film has the famous gunbarrel scene in the beginning. I recently watched OHMSS for the first time and I noticed that Lazenby kneels when he shoots in the sequence. The other four Bond's stand. I personally do not like it. Does anyone know why he kneels? And what are your thoughts about this?

#2 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 01:27 AM

Not sure why he kneeled. I don't really like it that much either, but from memory a few people here do like it, even wanted Broz to do it for DAD, so each to their own I suppose. It certainly made Lazenby's GB intro unique anyway.

#3 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 01:33 AM

It's certainly unique - and for that, I like it. It is a bit errorneous, however - Lazenby hasn't stopped walking by the time the scope is done moving across the screen, which always bothers the anal fan that I happen to be. After the rather uninteresting gunbarrel in which Connery nearly falls over as he fires the gun, this was a welcome change.

#4 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 04:05 AM

It's very unique, but the crouch, the hat, the fact the barrel stops before Lazenby - they all make it a pretty poor gun barrel really.

Dalton and Brosnan have the best gunbarrels, except that DAD one...wtf were they thinking...

#5 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 05:25 AM

I rather liked Lazenby's gun-barrel sequence. I like it mostly because it is unique. The only gun-barrel sequences I didn't like were when they kept using Roger Moore's bell-bottom gun barrel sequence well into the 80's.

#6 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 07:41 AM

yeah that one was a downer.

#7 MovieManOO7

MovieManOO7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 08:12 AM

Another thing one may notice that's unique about Lazenby's gunbarrel is that the blood pouring down the screen ERASES Lazenby! Perhaps it was forshadowing his career as Bond???

#8 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 03:53 AM

I like it. It emphasizes OHMSS more action oriented approach to the series. I mean, Connery's Bond was never involved in an action sequence quite like the assualt on Piz Gloria*

*Ok, we had the Volcano lair, but Connery was more of a spectator whlie the ninjas attacked.

#9 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 05:00 AM

Just a question righty007, as a reasonably long standing member of cbn how is it that you've only seen OHMSS recently for the first time?!

I guess I just assume everyone here would have seen all the films?? Hell I guess I havent' read all the books.

#10 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 04:00 PM

The reason is George Lazenby was following Connery/Simmoms GunBarrel sequence . So it had to be different . Remember he is the first non -Connery Bond .

#11 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 10:01 PM

Originally posted by mattbowyer
Just a question righty007, as a reasonably long standing member of cbn how is it that you've only seen OHMSS recently for the first time?!

I guess I just assume everyone here would have seen all the films?? Hell I guess I havent' read all the books.

I'am not a "reasonable long standing member" because I just joined this March. The reason I just saw OHMSS for the first time is because I'm a fairly new Bond fan, becoming one in 2001. Now in 2003 I have seen every Bond movie except NSNA (1983) because it's not official. I haven't read all the books too.

#12 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 12:28 AM

Just because Never Say Never Again is an unofficial Bond entry doesn't mean you should skip it completely. :)

#13 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 01:07 AM

It was like George was trying to pull off Connery's gunbarrel sequence, in which Connery had a hat and crouched when he shot, but George went down just a bit too far

#14 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 01:13 AM

I just figured out why he may have kneeled! I think it was because he was going to get married in the movie. When a man proposes he kneels. What do you guys think about this?

#15 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 01:15 AM

Originally posted by Righty007
I just figured out why he may have kneeled! I think it was because he was going to get married in the movie. When the man proposes he kneels. What do you guys think about this?

That's very good thinking Righty007--its also very possible

#16 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 08:16 PM

That's a good idea. But I think the kneel is just Lazenbys style.

See when he goes through the door with the knife ready to throw. He could stand but assumes a combat crouch or sorts, prolly trying to put some realism into Bond rather than a stuntman walking a few steps and jumping around like a fool.

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Doubleshot
Just because Never Say Never Again is an unofficial Bond entry doesn't mean you should skip it completely. :)

I agree with you on this point. I was surprised recently when a long standing member (even a staff member) of CBn told me they had yet to see NSNA all the way through. It ranks (for me) as one of Connery's best 007 movies.
In NSNA we have a wondefully flamboyant villain in Klaus Maria Brandeur, a delicously evil femme fatale played with relish by Barbara Carrera, Rowan Atkinson takes a funny comic turn as Nigel Small Fawcett (Bond telling him to take full advantage of all the natural cover), Pat Roach takes a break from fighting Indiana Jones to battle 007 at Shrublands (a great joke at the end of that sequence) and some of the most Bondian one liners in the series.

Largo: So, do you lose as graciously as you win?
Bond: I wouldn't know, I've never lost.

Add to that the fact that Sean Connery looks great. The opening sequence at the terrorist/guerilla camp is incredible, with Sean doing some of the best fighting of his career - hell he even head butts one guy!! I thought he looked a lot better than 12 years earlier in DAF!
Plus, I kinda like Kim Basinger as Domino and I thought Algy was a fun twist on old Q, especially that one liner.

Algy: Now that you're back on the case I hope we are going to get some good old gratuitous sex and voilence.
Bond: Me too!

#18 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Daltonitus
That's a good idea. But I think the kneel is just Lazenbys style.

See when he goes through the door with the knife ready to throw. He could stand but assumes a combat crouch or sorts, prolly trying to put some realism into Bond rather than a stuntman walking a few steps and jumping around like a fool.

Yes, when I was in the miltary we were always taught to kneel when firing a shot from a pistol because it makes you a smaller target.

#19 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 01:23 PM

Whilst a sub-par Bond at best, Never Say Never Again has some of the best dialogue in the series.

Glad there are others who think that too.

#20 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 09:34 PM

George Lazenbys gun-barrel is the best in the series. I find it very elegant with Lazenby wearing a hat and kneeling. Great! Masterpiece!

#21 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 01:32 AM

Lazenby's gun barrell is one of my favorites with a wonderful score to accompany it and he seems energetic. From watching his gun barrell, you can see Lazenby's going to be great in fight scenes.

#22 _JW_

_JW_

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 03:21 AM

I liked OHMSS gunbarrel intro. It was a change of pace after the Connery intros. It let us know that we have a new man taking up the role of Bond. Pierce Brosnan has a pretty good one, but who here thinks he should do a new one for the next Bond? It's clearly obvious that he looks older now, plus his hair is a little shorter now.

Still it could be worse. (See: Roger Moore's bellbottoms above)

#23 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 08:35 AM

I was watching You Only Live Twice this evening and I swear Connery lost his balance during the gunbarrel. If you look at his feet you can see him stumble and practically tripping.

#24 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 11:05 AM

The best part of Lazenby's gunbarrel has to be the way the scanning dots suddenly stop to remind the viewers who produces the film, I feel this would have been a better homage to use in Die Another Day rather than the 3d bullet, but, i suppose, each to his own.

And I do like it when Lazenby crouches, it makes his gunbarrel different, though I don't understand why the blood erased him altogether, perhaps the filmmakers were trying to get the message across that "this is a new Bond; different. Get used to it."

#25 minchjp

minchjp

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 02:10 PM

I thought it was preaty shotty (no pun intended), i likes DAD the best, mainly because of the music and the new bulet always sounds great in DTS surround sound!

#26 Irma Bunt

Irma Bunt

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 09:50 AM

Lazenby's gunbarrell sequence is very classy, and as mentioned probably the most effective if he would be really firing a shot (and avoiding a return shot).

#27 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 03:38 PM

Lazenby's isn't my favorite, but I do appreciate the fact that it's different.

#28 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 02:47 PM

Maybe he was kneeling under the burden of James Bond, exactly like in the movie itself :)

#29 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 12:13 PM

The fact that Bond occasionally crouches is established in the series when Bond opens the bedroom door in "Dr. No" or shoots a Bulgar in "From Russia With Love".

If making Lazenby kneel for the gunbarrel shot was due to anyone's belief that they should immediately differentiate actors, it's a strange decision considering the rest of the film bends over backwards reinforcing the fact that this is the same charater seen in five previous films.

#30 Fawn

Fawn

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 04:43 PM

I'm inclined to believe that Laz did indeed kneel as a foreshadowing of his proposal to Tracy; though he also kneeled when he threw the knife into Draco's calendar, so who knows?

Some of us have other things to do in our lives than buy and watch Bond movies, darlin'. :)