Fan Fiction Reviews

39 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Helm

Matt Helm

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 05:19 PM

After completing a few of the fan fiction pieces now available on this site, I was compelled to offer my praise to the authors. I've written detailed reviews (too long for a single post) and invite all literary Bond fans (especially the authors) to check them out, hopefully it will inspire others to read these wonderful stories.

http://home.att.net/...enti/index.html

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 06:10 PM

Wow.

I am truly flattered. And I am glad to see that my book has lived up to one of its true purposes—to give some of the fans of the Literary Bond something to read after they have completed all of the official novels. After reading your review, I now must say that I promise to revisit the editing and post a corrected version. If you’re going to go to the the effort to create your review page about my book then it is the least I can do.

And I have to say I completely agree with you on Thomas Clink’s From Death’s Door. It is a truly brilliant novel worthy of being official. And, if he doesn’t see this post on his own, I will be sure to let Thomas know about your review.

I say again—wow.

#3 Matt Helm

Matt Helm

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 02:48 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I only hope the site inspires others to read the stories you guys have written and maybe even encourage some of them to put in the same extra effort in writing their own fan fiction novels. I'd also love to hear what other readers thought of MTTS and FDD.

I will soon have "The Killing Zone" review up on the site, and yes I do consider it a piece of fan fiction. After that, I have a few others deserving of a mention eventually, but none of them compare to MTTS or FDD. I only hope that there are a few more jems out there on the net that I have yet to find.

Any news on when we will have another completed fan fic up on this site?

#4 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 05:20 AM

Thank you, Charlie,
Very observant; you noticed several things that I wasn

#5 Hotshot007

Hotshot007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 02:02 AM

Hey Matt Helm,maybe you could take a look at my fic.It's just getting started,and I'd like your opinion on it.It's called Think Twice and it's on fanfiction.net,under Movies then James Bond.I'm not asking for a reveiw or anything,just could you maybe post a few comments in the forums.Thanx.It would be appreciated.

#6 Deacon_Frost

Deacon_Frost

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 06:39 PM

dude visit mi6.co.uk for even more fan fics to review.

#7 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 01:53 AM

Yes...please do go to Mi6.co.uk. They were the first to publish a great piece of fan fic called "Heaven Isn't Too Far Away."

OK...I have to confess, it's my fanfic, and it will soon be republished in revised form here...or I could send it to you privately, if you like.

-- Xenobia

#8 Matt Helm

Matt Helm

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 01:54 AM

I have checked out MI6.co.uk and have downloaded most of the stories. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to reading most of them yet. The only one I have read is "Death to Spies" by Ross Sydor which I actually found on the old CMGN site. Not a bad little piece (although not on the same level as MTTS or FDD) and will probably the next review up on my site when I get a chance.

Xenobia, I'm very curious to read your fic but until now have been scared off by the "Brosnan-like" label. Not that I have a problem with Brosnan but I'm really more interested in Fleming's character than EON's. It won't stop me from reading HITFA eventually but I can't promise that I will review it. We'll have to wait and see.

#9 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 04:57 AM

as Xen's editor, I say check out HITFA....when I get it finished :) soon, I hope...

#10 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 06:21 PM

Thank you for the very kind words Rafterman! You da man!

-- Xenobia

Your check is in the mail.

#11 Matt Helm

Matt Helm

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 02:41 AM

I've updated the site a bit and invite everyone to check it out. I'd really like to see others post their comments (in this post) about some of the fan fics so that the authors are encouraged to give us more.

Oh yeah, I know I owe a couple of you read throughs of your novels. Sorry about the delay but I'll hopefully be getting to them soon.

#12 Fawn

Fawn

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 03:20 AM

Wow, awesome reviews! If I ever finish my novel, I'll make you write up something about it :)

Edit: Ooo, now I see that "must be based on novel character" criteria...don't let the fact that there's an accompianing movie script scare you off! While I began writing my story before I'd read any of the books, I've found that how I perceive Bond jives with the literary figure more so than the movie character. Since then, I've been basing my Bond on the Bond of the novels, though I admit I still picture Brosnan in the role... And I don't know why I'm bothering to tell you this, seeing as I won't finish the novel for another year at least. Oh well. :) "Hope...springs eternal..."

#13 bondfan15

bondfan15

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 12:44 AM

I think somebody already told you this in another post, but I think you should check out the fan fiction section at www.mi6.co.uk. They have some GREAT fan fics there and (shameless plug here) my own short story, Never Send a Man, available there. Another great fic there is Heaven Isn't Too Far Away, an awesome story by one of the forum members here.

Check these out when you have time... they're definitely worth it!

#14 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 10:11 PM

Definetly read "Heaven Isn't Too Far Away". It's amazing. Xenobia did a great job on it.

#15 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 02:11 AM

Hey...if you like that version...wait until you read the revised version that will soon be appearing here at CBN! It's the same story, but with some careful editing, I added some more to it, so it feels more like a Fleming piece.

-- Xenobia

#16 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 02:46 AM

I'll be looking foward to it, Xen.

#17 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 08:52 PM

Thank you!

:-D

-- Xen

#18 Matt Helm

Matt Helm

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 01:58 AM

Xenobia,

When does the revised edition hit this site? I will definitely make time for your novel after reading such great praise both on this site and on MI6.com. If it's true that you are revising it, then of course I'd rather wait until I can get my hands on the finished product.

#19 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 03:15 AM

Originally posted by Matt Helm
Xenobia,

When does the revised edition hit this site?  I will definitely make time for your novel after reading such great praise both on this site and on MI6.com.  If it's true that you are revising it, then of course I'd rather wait until I can get my hands on the finished product.

It is mostly in my hands now. I have received the completed, edited text and now just need to finish typesetting it. I have 200 pages done and many more to go.

#20 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:22 AM

Mr. Asterix is answering for me, and better than I can. I made many a typo, and very kindly Rafterman looked at it, and now Mister Asterix is getting ready to appear as if it were a book.

Patience....that's what Mr. Asterix keeps telling me and I guess you will have to wait too. But thank you for staying interested.

-- Xenobia

#21 bondfan15

bondfan15

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 01:28 AM

Xen--
Glad to hear of the revised HITFA version... will it be available on mi6.co.uk as well?

Also, my next short story, The Eternal Flame, will be available on the mi6 fan fiction site very soon! My other short story, Never Send a Man, is available there already. Check them out!

#22 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 01:58 AM

About 48-72 hours after the revision appears at CBN, the revision will appear at MI6.

Also, MI6 will be home to my spin off series called MI6 that will feature my Bond girl, Amanda Hightower, but no James Bond. It's time the other folks at the MI6 got their own action.

-- Xenobia

#23 bondfan15

bondfan15

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 02:44 PM

I can't wait! I heard about the MI6 series at MI6.co.uk and it sounds awesome! Glad to see the staffers finally getting their own action!

#24 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 02:55 PM

Personally speaking I think Barbara Emanuele's work of fan fiction is the best I have read so far.

One question I have is this though -- shouldn't this thread be in the Literary 007 section?

#25 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 08:35 AM

Yes, Xenobia's story is enjoyable.

#26 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 05:58 PM

And so is yours Jim...and I am excited to know that your next two chapters will be up soon!

Since you are smart and send your stuff in chapters, you are going up first.

-- Xenobia

#27 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 06:54 PM

Lordy - sorry, didn't realise I was queue-jumping

#28 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 08:47 PM

No...you are not at all!

The problem with mine is, it is harder for Mr. Asterix to format. That's the bottom line. I know that, and I am patient, and you are not queue jumping at all.

-- Xenobia

#29 Matt Helm

Matt Helm

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 01:58 AM

The site has been updated with a new review. Please check it out when you get a chance. I've added TMFV bt Ross Sydor.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to Ross? I'd love to see him take another stab at it.

Next on my reading list is HITFA. I can't wait.

#30 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 04:21 AM

Well, it's already now Matt, and it's been updated. I hope it was worth the wait.

-- Xenobia