This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

OHMSS -- Does It Compare To The Top Two ?

36 replies to this topic

#31 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 06:01 PM

I enjoyed OHMSS alot--I love the skiing scenes and would rank it near the top being that it was the best book and i am a hardcore bond fan--Lazenby got bad reviews beause everyone was too used to sean as bond and no one wanted to see sean stop doing bond

#32 Trueman Lodge

Trueman Lodge

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 07:23 PM

When I was young, I never liked OHMSS because it did not have Roger Moore or Sean Connerry in. But now it is one of my favourites, its in my top two Bond films. Everything about the film is great apart from George Lazenby being dubed when he is Sir Hilary Bray.

Each time I watch the film, all I can think is what a huge shame that George Lazenby didn't do anymore films. He would have got better and better.

#33 superracer0022

superracer0022

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 12:17 AM

i love this movie! it is by far my favorite bond movie ever. every night and yes i mean every night i stick my ohmss tape in my vcr (my vcr is about to go up so i am hoping to get my ohmss tape stuck in it and destroyed so i can buy the dvd without my mom saying i already have it on tape). it is not as popular with more casual fans however (one of my friends was saying how terrible it was one day, and i had to go into another room to let off some steam) but it is my favorite definitely and i dont think there is any way i could watch frwl or gf every night when i am going to bed

#34 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 04:24 PM

Well, my opinion is that OHMSS is almost as good as FRWL (which is my all time favourite), but far better than Goldfinger. I am one of the few that cannot see whats so fantastic about Goldfinger.

OHMSS is the film that I think would have made Fleming most proud. It follows the book completely, and that's why the film is so pure Bond! No gadgets and no fantastic car... It's not even Bond that drives in the car chase. Even more brilliant!
It has the best gunbarrel scene ever, the best titles, the best title song and the best ending!
What makes FRWL a better film is the actors and the characters. The time Bond spends up in Piz Gloria is not very good either...

#35 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 05:36 PM

Superracer0022 you are in good company because the majority of Bond fans admire OHMSS even if not all of them would list it at the top of their list. :)

Personally, I really love OHMSS, it ranks up there with TSWLM as my two favorite James Bond movies.

--I think it had one of the most beautiful Bond girls in the series in Diana Rigg and it's not hard at all to believe that James Bond would end up falling in love and marrying the enchanting and gorgeous Tracy.
-- The skiing scenes are some of the best and the Alpine scenery is truly awe-inspiring.
--Bond has to rely on his wits and brawn to get out of situations rather than simply pulling out the latest of all gadgets.

The action is more small scale than in other outings but Director Peter Hunt made a good decision when deciding to stick close to the plot structure of the book. The only part of the movie where it seems to drag is the bit at Piz Gloria with all those girls. But, once Bond escapes and is on the run it really picks up speed again and never lets up.
The fact that retailers were shocked at how much demand there was for OHMSS when it was first released on DVD shows that it has gone through a revisionist stage and is now more highly regarded than on its original release in 1969.

#36 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 05:41 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

The fact that retailers were shocked at how much demand there was for OHMSS when it was first released on DVD shows that it has gone through a revisionist stage and is now more highly regarded than on its original release in 1969.

Okay beautifully written post . One question . Why is OHMSS still the bastard child of the Bond franchise ? The film made the art house film circuit here in NYC Area . And was sold out .

#37 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 08:00 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
Okay beautifully written post . One question . Why is OHMSS still the bastard child of the Bond franchise ?   The film made the art house film circuit here in NYC Area . And was sold out .

It's only the bastard child, as far as I'm concerned, among the general audience and casual fans. The hardcore fans love OHMSS for the most part, or those who don't are few and far between.

Just like anybody who goes to see a Julia Roberts or Tom Cruise movie or any big star just because they are big names and have a new movie, it can also mean their movie still stinks but people will flock to it anyway. Why else would anybody have seen Maid in Manhattan?

Most general movie fans want their Connery, Moore or Brosnan as Bond. There is comfort in familiarity and since Lazenby, and for the most part Dalton, is a nobody, they dismiss OHMSS. Their loss. On the other hand, I've heard people who have seen it and give it a chance really like it.