This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

OHMSS -- Does It Compare To The Top Two ?

36 replies to this topic

#1 OOSe7en

OOSe7en

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 08:53 PM

I will admittedly say that I have not seen OHMSS in over twenty years. I bought it on DVD when it first came out and have yet to review anything but the extra features on the dvd.

That said, since I've joined commanderbond.net I've noticed that in several Favorite Bond polls that OHMSS ranks pretty high. I don't think it's controversial to say that many people consider either FRWL or GOLDFINGER to be one of the finest Bond movies. My question is --

Does OHMSS rank as high as GOLDFINGER or FRWL and if so why or why not ?

#2 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 09:32 PM

OHMSS tends to be the favorite of "hardcore" Bond fan (like myself) . Also it is the favorite novel to many(again i my be speaking for myself) . Since the VHS release it rakes very high in sales . It was all ways been the "Bastard Child" of EON/DANJAQ .It's sad since it has the of the best cast among the top Bond films . I have read it's along with "FRWL" is one of Brosnan's top Bonds.

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 09:39 PM

Originally posted by OOSe7en

Does OHMSS rank as high as GOLDFINGER or FRWL and if so why or why not ?  

Oh, definitely. It's one of the very best Bond films ever made, quite possibly THE best. Great story, great action, great score.... Great cinema. Lazenby does an excellent job, and I've never supported the view that the film would have been considerably better with Connery as Bond (think of how bored and in-it-for-the-money he seemed throughout much of YOU ONLY TWICE; and somehow the idea of 007 falling in love with Tracy and becoming a widower immediately after his wedding seems to work very well with a young guy like Lazenby).

#4 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 09:44 PM

Loomis - Nice reply !!!!!!!

#5 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 09:52 PM

The magazine Films in Review called OHMSS the "crown jewel" of the James Bond series.

The review in Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang book says that OHMSS is "too good" in places to be a James Bond movie.

I would agree with Kevin Richardson - the more hardcore you are about James Bond - the more you like OHMSS.

I've done archiving work for Glidrose, worked on the OHMSS DVD for MGM, and was recently granted access to Richard Maibaum's papers - so you could say I'm hardcore - and OHMSS is by far my favorite Bond film.

It is a masterpiece.

The story, the casting, the cinematography, the editing, the music, the directing - it's perfect.

So, to answer your question - I would say that OHMSS not only belongs up with Goldfigner and FRWL - in many ways it surpasses them.

#6 OOSe7en

OOSe7en

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 09:56 PM

Between Loomis' and Doublenoughtspy's responses I can hardly wait to see OHMSS again !!! Unbelievable replies!

#7 Killmaster

Killmaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:10 PM

I agree as well. OHMSS is probably my favorite Bond novel, so it was a real pleasure to see how closely the film followed the printed word. The film was well-paced with some of the best fight sequences in the series. The score was one of Barry's best and the shots of the Alps and the Piz Gloria from the air were breathtaking. To top it off, it featured one of the best Bond girls (Diana Rigg) as well. But what really made it memorable was that the producers didn't back down at the end. Tracy DIED! We saw the blood and we felt the loss along with Bond.

Too bad Lazenby didn't at least TRY one more. Physically he handled all of the action and lovemaking scenes well. He could have grown into the part much the same way Connery did if he'd given it time.

#8 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:31 PM

The thing I find strange is how someone can buy a film on DVD and then just not get round to watching it? Have you had your head buried in the sand for the past few years. OHMSS stock has been steadily rising over the years to make it the supreme Bond amongst hardcore fans and you haven't had the urge to watch it. About ten years ago I saw a double bill of YOLT & OHMSS at the 'National Film Theatre' in London. YOLT was on first and everyone seemed to enjoy seeing it on the big screen again. Then they showed OHMSS, the reaction was a revelation. You could tell many people in the audience had either never seen the film, or had never seen it for years. They were gasping, cheering, clapping, the film really came alive. Please see it. Despite its flaws and there are some it is 10 times (at least) a better Bond than DAD.

#9 OOSe7en

OOSe7en

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:42 PM

I admit it's a strange phenomenon --- waiting and waiting for the DVD to be released and then not to watch it !? In my defense sometimes I get caught up in the chase of finding / acquring something and then moving on to the next best thing. I have all the 007 films I want on DVD and have watched all of them with the exception of OHMSS. In addition, I like to watch these movies in the ideal setting, i.e., darkened room, on a wide screen, and see it without interruption from start to end. My moving about a year ago has kept me from seeing anything on widescreen since my TV remains in storage till we get a bigger place. Can hardly wait.

#10 Killmaster

Killmaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:31 PM

Don't feel too bad, 00Se7en. I bought all three Bond DVD sets when they first came out, and there they were setting neatly and in order on one of my Bond bookshelves... about a year BEFORE I got a DVD player. You're so right. Sometimes it all about the acquiring!

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:46 PM

Originally posted by MarkA

About ten years ago I saw a double bill of YOLT & OHMSS at the 'National Film Theatre' in London. YOLT was on first and everyone seemed to enjoy seeing it on the big screen again. Then they showed OHMSS, the reaction was a revelation. You could tell many people in the audience had either never seen the film, or had never seen it for years. They were gasping, cheering, clapping, the film really came alive. Please see it. Despite its flaws and there are some it is 10 times (at least) a better Bond than DAD.

MarkA, I was also at that showing of YOLT and OHMSS at the NFT. Small world!:) Late 1995 or early 1996, wasn't it? I remember going on the piss afterwards with some university friends and a bunch of hardcore Bond fans (who may well now be CBn regulars) we got talking to in the bar afterwards. A really great evening.:)

And you're right about OHMSS being a far superior piece of work to DAD. If DAD is Raymond Benson, then OHMSS is Ian Fleming!

#12 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 01:50 AM

I know most of the reasons as to why Cubby Broccoli kept the film under wraps . But Why does Wilson and Barbara Broccoli do the same ? The film did not even get a 30th anniver. showing in 1999 . Yet if you look at the sales of VHS and now DVD it ranks higher than "Goldfinger" . PLus most people not true "hardcore " Bond fan , don't know the movie exsist .

#13 OOSe7en

OOSe7en

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 02:41 AM

Are you sure that OHMSS DVD and rental sales rank higher than GOLDFINGER ?? I find that very hard to believe. I had read recently (I think in the Bond legacy) that it's estimated that nearly 80% of the filmgoing audience in the 1960's had seen GOLDFINGER on screen. I know OHMSS did not have that high level of success when it came out and I'd have to think that word-of-mouth and the reputation of GOLDFINGER as one of THE classic Bonds would generate sales far and above OHMSS. Just a few thoughts ...

#14 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 02:50 AM

Well i have just read ( i hate using that phase) . That in term of overall VHS sales , then DVD . OHMSS beat Goldfinger . It would stand to reason that more people have seem "Goldfinger" . Since it may have had more "air time" . Not just in the Movie houses , but on international TV . Remember it was shown more on American calbe than any other Bond . A lot of people are just dicovering OHMSS.

#15 OOSe7en

OOSe7en

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 03:08 AM

Perhaps then the DVD / videos sales comparison of these two 007 flicks is for a recent time period then. I agree that there's a much greater upside of people discovering and buying OHMSS but overall GOLDFINGER DVD / video sales for at least the last two decades have got to exceed all of the other Bond DVDs. It's reputation, having Connery as Bond, and even it's name being so popular as almost being a brand would have to generate greater sales than the minimally marketed OHMSS with Lazenby not being very well known to those marginal 007 fans.

None of this means anything though IMO as to whether OHMSS is a great Bond film. There are many here whom I bet prefer that it's a stealth Bond movie.

#16 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 02:08 PM

None of this means anything though IMO as to whether OHMSS is a great Bond film.  There are many here whom I bet prefer that it's a stealth Bond movie.

I am of the minority opinion that "Goldfinger" is not a great Bond film . It's a good Bond film , but it comes after "FRWL" and "Dr.No" . It's a little boring when compared to those two. Still OHMSS is the definitive Bond film . Once you are past the "shock" of Lazenby . It's a great film.

#17 bribond

bribond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 02:16 PM

I guess you could call me hardcore and that film is a masterpiece to me. There's really nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. I had the pleasure of seeing it on the big screen last year and I'm so glad I had that opportunity. I walked out feeling so much more affected than at the end of Die Another Day. Works tons better than its immediate followup, a shame the public did not seem to think so at the time. Thank God for us hardcore fans to keep the producers from getting too far into Moonrakeresque shennanigans.

"Merry Christmas 007!"

"I'm Sir Hillary Bray"

#18 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 02:19 PM

I admit when I first tried to watch this movie back in the mid-80s, I didn't get it. However, after I got older, lived, experienced life, loved, and lost, the movie became something pretty outstanding. Going back and reading the book is a revelation in itself. They are both amazing works. OHMSS is one my favorites, if my my favorite of all time. I've got the DVD, a reprint of the poster, the remastered soundtrack, and the novel. I do not have Lazenby sheets, blankets, after shave, etc.

#19 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 02:23 PM

It's certainly my favourite and the one that I watch the most. It's one of the most entertaining films in the series. It's a delight to watch. I'm with what Loomis said at the top of the page about it's great aspects. But to add a few things it is definitely the best directed of all the Bond films. The zooms in the fight sequences are a unique idea that adds to the pace and enjoyment of the film. Diana Rigg is my favourite Bond girls. Blofeld is good if you take the film as a stand alone film... he's the only weka point really. But that's only if you really give a damn about Blofled being a weakling... which I don't think he is and (correct me if i'm wrong) he wasn't in the books.

Anyway... it's great... pull your finger out boy and put it in the DVD player now! Infact I'm going to go and watch mine now too. Syncronised OHMSS!

#20 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 12:18 AM

The first time I saw it, I was disappointed. But then picture the scene, I was young, useless, thought that the benchmark was set by Mr and wondered where all the gadgets were.

I still think Mr is a fine film in what it set out to do, but OHMSS is the classic.

An OHMSS in today's values wouldn't even get past the first wave of marketing tests. Truly, an unrepeatable classic.

#21 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 04:46 AM

OHMSS is perfect, there is no better Bond film...

#22 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 07:13 PM

It has to comparte to the top two, as it is the top one! Goldfinger isn't even in my top four, what with its strings on aeroplanes and awful rear-screen projection...for a scene with two people sitting down and playing cards!

#23 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:09 PM

Originally posted by General Koskov
It has to comparte to the top two, as it is the top one!  Goldfinger isn't even in my top four, what with its strings on aeroplanes and awful rear-screen projection...for a scene with two people sitting down and playing cards!

It's is still interesting to me how "some " people who are "HARDCORE BOND FANS" . Which i think many members are . Let me quailify "HARDCORE" . As those who know both literary Bond and cinematic Bond . And the difference between both . Know there Ian Fleming . The reason i state this is Fleming has only recently come back to Bond or is it Bond has come back too Fleming ( which ever you like it's still the same) . Yet when statement are made about the film "Goldfinger" (yes !! it 's good Bondian fun) . It ranks high but not that high for the HARDCORE like myself . A film like OHMSS does . The reason the film gets knocked down is Lazenby ! Yes he was the Romantic Leading Man of the film ( that's what James Bond is by the way) . Still once over the shock it's not that bad .

#24 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 08:21 AM

OHMSS is not only my faviourite bond films, but also one of my faviorite films of all time. it is really fantastic, absolutely perfect, i wouldnt change a thing (well maybe fix up some of the dubbing). i seriously doubt they will ever make another bond film that i will like better

#25 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 04:41 AM

my two cents worth:

- John Barry's FINEST work.
- One of the coolest titles by the maestro Maurice Binder.
- Diana Rigg - a terrific actress doing a terrific job.
- an engaging story...an epic, really.
-Tight editing and awe-inspiring cinematography under the auspicies of the great Peter Hunt.

a lot of great things there.

where does it rank in the cannon?

TOP 4:

Thunderball
The Spy Who Loved Me
OHMSS
Die Another Day

#26 Mr. Kidd

Mr. Kidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 05:00 PM

For me, OHMSS shows that Fleming's work COULD be faithfully
translated onto the screen and still be exciting entertainment. Even
though I love DAF, LALD & TMWTGG I would have loved to see the
OHMSS "treatment" done to these Fleming books, with more of the
book's material.

#27 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 02:59 AM

I really think that is the major problem with the Bond film makers. They seem to go out of they way to make the the films different from the book. This results in "throwing the baby out with the bathwater". LALD is probably the most extreme example of this. Anyone who has read the book will realise what a superb novel it is and how it would make a tremendous film , but so much got changed. And yet years later so many great scenes from that novel found themselves in other Bond movies. OHMSS stands alongside FRWL as the only Bonds that really capture the feel of Ian Fleming.

#28 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 08:06 AM

Its my third favourite Bond movie (behind Goldfinger and LALD), great film, but one that is still very under-rated. Amazingly a film of this high quality is still considered as a turkey by a lot of non-fans and critics. Perhaps they are put off by it's minor flaws (Lazenby is weak and the movie is slightly over-long), but these are minor quibbles compared to it's general high quality.

#29 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 04:15 PM

Are you sure that OHMSS DVD and rental sales rank higher than GOLDFINGER ??  I find that very hard to believe.  

I remember at the time of the DVD release, retailers were caught off guard by the strong demand for OHMSS.
I really like OHMSS, it certainly ranks quite high among my list of 007 movies.

#30 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 03:48 AM

I'd go as far as to place it in the top 5 of my "most favorite films" that is ever changing. Now its:

1. DAD
2. OHMSS
3. TB
4. MR
5. FYEO