#1 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:44 PM

Some questions regarding the best "M"

How did Bernard Lee die? Did he ever actually film any scenes for the FYEO movie? Or did he pass away before filiming began?

Was there ever any mention in newspapers at the time of his death?

He was great - esp. when he says to Moore how much he wished Scarmanga killed Bond and not the Solar Scientist Gibson in TMWTGG.

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:56 PM

Bernard Lee died prior to the filming of any of his scenes in FYEO although they were already filming.

He died of cancer and he was in his early 70's (73 I believe). Somewhere, I do have a news clipping of his obiturary. He was an "old school" British actor who was an aquaintance of Fleming's. I think they belonged to one of the same clubs in London.

He was great as M and I count myself among those that consider Robert Brown's M was a different Admiral - Not Sir Miles.

The dinner at Blades with Bond in the novel Moonraker is one of my favorites.

#3 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 07:45 PM

I think he suffered from ill health throughout the '70s. At one point it looked like he wasn't able to do LALD. The British leading actor Kenneth More offered to step in and play M for the movie, as long as More's sallary went to Lee, which tells you how loved and respectedLee was amongst his fellow actors.

#4 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 03:14 PM

Bernard Lee's M had the best relationship with Connery's Bond in the beginning. When Roger took over, it changed. Golden Gun got kind of ugly with them. I liked it in Spy when M referred to Bond by his first name, which always meant something. In Spy, M was even referred to as Miles!

I also agree that Bernard Lee and Robert Brown played different Ms.

#5 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 04:18 PM

Bernard Lee was a very classy man . He brought to life "M" . Today this day when i read the novels . I can't not think of any one in the role but him.

#6 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 04:38 PM

Bernard Lee,Robert Brown and Judi Dench play different Ms,the same have we now with Q.
The only charcters that must are the same is Money Penny,Felix Leiter and Jamesbond.

But the different people play differents.
Lois Maxwell's Moneypenny (Dr No - AVTAK) will and love Bond,but Bond don't wil here.
The Money Penny of the Dalton movie's is more an assistant behind here desk.
The episode Goldeneye - Twine Money Penny of Samantha Bond don't wil him,but Bond wil here.
The Money Penny in Dad is Samantha Bond to,but now she wil Bond.

#7 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 07:00 PM

He was always drunk throughout his later years but always managed to give a commanding performance when required.

I believe he is the uncle of Jonny Lee Miller, he of Hackers fame.

#8 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 07:20 PM

Always drunk? A British character actor who drinks too much...boy, they sure know how to set the bar, don't they?

Seriously, was Lee really a drunk? That's too bad, he was still a pretty good actor.

#9 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 12:04 AM

Obviously I wasn't on set to testify to this but there are enough stories doing the rounds, in a loveable way, that said he always enjoyed the sauce, but managed to pull himself up sharply for his scenes.

#10 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 10:07 PM

Bernard Lee is and always be the best M. I like to believe that Robert Brown's M, although good, but is Admiral Hargreaves, and not Sir Miles Messervy.

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 11:16 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing

I also agree that Bernard Lee and Robert Brown played different Ms.

As you can see by my signiture so do I...There was a long running discussion on this point in the "R to Q" thread.
I think Bernard Lee was a great M.

#12 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 11:57 PM

I'm rather curious about people that theorize that Bernard Lee and Robert Brown played different M's.

What is your reasoning?

If you say because the actor played an Admiral in TSWLM - then does that mean that Sir Hillary Bray joined the Navy (OHMSS - TSWLM, with George Baker)?

Does that also mean that Brad Whitaker didn't really die - it was all an elaborate sham brough on by US agent Jack Wade? (LD, GE, TND - Joe Don Baker).

What if early scripts of OP, AVTAK, TLD or LTK have some reference to M as Miles - where would your theory be then?

I'll have to get out my tape of the "pirate" edition of TLD (with the different Dalton gunbarrel, and the various different scenes) because I think it might have Golgol (or if we subscribe to the same theory - Morenzy) referring to M as Miles at the end.

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 01:20 AM

There was an interview with Michael Wilson in 1981 in which he hinted they would be bringing back an existing character as the new M.

There is no evidence that Robert Brown and Bernard Lee played the same character.

Bernard Lee was referred to as "Sir Miles" in TSWLM. Brown was never referred to by name.

Robert Brown appeared as Admiral Hargreaves in TSWLM. It is perfectly plausible (and quite probable) that an Admiral would be promoted into the role of M -- Sir Miles after all was an Admiral.

Where is your evidence that Brown played Sir Miles?? Whereas there is an interview with Wilson in which he indicates they will use an existing character (the exact issue and page reference is in the "R to Q" thread if you are interested), there is no evidence introduced to support the theory they played the same character.

The relationship between the Sir Miles M (Lee) and the Admiral Hargreaves M (Brown) is clearly and perceptively different.

The portrait in TWINE is of Bernard Lee. Okay this is a little weak, but it still serves to suggest they played different M's.

Many view it more fitting and appropriate to have Bernard Lee as the one and only Sir Miles. Whereas Brown's Admiral Hargreaves was a serviceable M, he never quite had the same impression on the series as Lee.

I could go on and on with reasons, but what it boils down to is that it's a matter of personal preference. The subject was discussed at length in the "R to Q" thread that went on for 9 pages and I don't want to extensively revisit the whole subject.

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 01:22 AM

Originally posted by doublenoughtspy

What if early scripts of OP, AVTAK, TLD or LTK have some reference to M as Miles - where would your theory be then?

They didn't and since Micheal Wilson believes them to be different characters, it would never happen.

#15 Jaws99

Jaws99

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 12:59 AM

Bernard Lee kicked butt as an actor!

He also kicked butt when it came to drinking like a fish!

#16 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Jaws99
Bernard Lee kicked butt as an actor!  
He also kicked butt when it came to drinking like a fish!

What does that have to do with his work as "M" . I never heard that rumor before.

#17 Jaws99

Jaws99

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 01:06 AM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
What does that have to do with his work as "M" . I never heard that rumor before.

There have been several stories that Bernard was a heavy drinker, esp. in the latter years leading to his death.

#18 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 08:30 PM

And, as we all know, just like drinking makes you a better driver, so it makes you a better actor.

#19 bonddur

bonddur

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 05:52 PM

I didn't know that Bernard was a drinker...poor guy. I wondered why he would have a reason to drink? He has a major role in the greatest film series ever...

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 10:27 PM

Originally posted by bonddur
I didn't know that Bernard was a drinker...poor guy.  I wondered why he would have a reason to drink?  He has a major role in the greatest film series ever...

Even people with great, successful careers can have a drinking problem.

#21 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 10:59 PM

dlibrasnow, if they make us tell them one more time that lee and brown were two different M'S I WILL SCREAM I KNOW

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 01:33 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
dlibrasnow, if they make us tell them one more time that lee and brown were two different M'S I WILL SCREAM I KNOW

Yeah, well it boils down to personal preference. The evidence is on our side but some people will never agree with us - I suppose these are the same people who think Judi Dench's character is Sir Miles in drag <:) >>

#23 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:57 AM

he was great in moonraker!!

very cool!!:)

really missed :)

#24 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:19 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only
he was great in moonraker!!

very cool!!:)

really missed :)

thats a very good point, is is very much missed

#25 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 10:47 AM

Originally posted by bonddur
I didn't know that Bernard was a drinker...poor guy.  I wondered why he would have a reason to drink?  He has a major role in the greatest film series ever...

Because we Brits love a drop, or a dram, or a pint, or a bottle.
Come to think of it - I'm spitting feathers here!

#26 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:24 PM

I love that stor by Q on the moonraker dvd.. when Bernard hung out all night and jammed the piano with a bunch of people in the lobby :)

#27 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 03:40 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only
I love that stor by Q on the moonraker dvd.. when Bernard hung out all night and jammed the piano with a bunch of people in the lobby :)

I liked that anecdote too..

#28 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 04:11 AM

Originally posted by M_Balje
Bernard Lee,Robert Brown and Judi Dench play different Ms,the same have we now with Q.

Not a good example, since we have had both Peter Burton and Desmond Llewelyn played Major Boothroyd/Q. I personally believe that Lee and Brown played the same M just as Burton and Llewelyn played the same Q. Lee and Llewelyn simply played their characters better than the other fellow playing the same role. But I won’t argue it, because I know I won’t change anyone’s mind.

#29 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 05:38 AM

the two q's were the same but the M'S were diferent, why people cant see that...i will never know

#30 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 05:56 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
the two q's were the same but the M'S were diferent, why people cant see that...i will never know

why do you care so much? theres logical arguments for both theories, but theres no way to prove either one right or wrong