35 replies to this topic

#1 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 04:10 PM

When Connery was cast as Bond back in the early 60s, the expression: he was the richest man in the poorhouse was used, since he was the best choice of a group nobody was jumping up and down about. Now more then 40 years later, we have reached the same stage once again.

Brosnan will probably step down in 2005. I think everybody would agree that there is not one clear cut candidate for the role. There are several favorites, but not one actor who is the obvious choice.

There are two things we can do. First: we can sit and wait until an actor shows up who is perfect for the part, while risking the chance that an actor like that doesn't exists at the moment. Or second: we could start looking for the richest man in the poorhouse. An actor who may not look perfect for the part, but is the best choice to carry on the legacy. Should that automatically mean we should lower our expectations? Absolutely not. Just broaden our horizons just a little bit.

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 04:23 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive

There are two things we can do. First: we can sit and wait until an actor shows up who is perfect for the part, while risking the chance that an actor like that doesn't exists at the moment. Or second: we could start looking for the richest man in the poorhouse. An actor who may not look perfect for the part, but is the best choice to carry on the legacy.  

Most fans would probably prefer taking the first course of action. MGM/EON will probably take the second.

Personally, I feel they need star quality after Brosnan (although I'm aware that none of the Bond actors was all that well-known before taking the role), partly because Brosnan was groomed as 007 in the public eye for so long. I know all the arguments against him, but I still feel Hugh Grant would be the best choice.

#3 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 04:37 PM

That's exactly what I would like to change. I want fans to be well informed, so by the time EON will introduce their candidates, the fans can give a valid opinion. EON had faith in Brosnan largely because the fanbase loved Brosnan. These days however, a lot of fans don't know who they like or don't like and why. What if (and I'm not saying it will happen) EON would ask us fans to help them pick a replacement? Who would we suggest? I try to introduce new actors or discuss old favorites so people will see them from a different perspective. Take my 'Next Bond' series for example. Dominic West is a complete unknown, yet I try to persuade people that despite this fact he's still a good possibility. Gerard Butler was discarded by many as 'the rumour of the day', by I think there's definately potential and Jack Davenport is indeed too young at the moment, but I think he'll be one of the top candidates in the future. I'd love to just broaden the horizons of the fans here on CBN just a little bit. And perhaps we'll find an actor who indeed is perfect and was there all the time right under our noses.

#4 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 04:44 PM

The appeal of Sean Connery's James Bond - I feel - was the cathartic revenge so many people felt as they saw a Scottish milkman successfully play a suave English spy. It was the lack of snob quality - his rough characteristics mixed with civil society - that made Connery so appealing. That's what they should be looking for in the next Bond.

#5 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 05:45 PM

Many of the candidates involved during the "search for James BBOnd" during the 1960's were considered not "manly"enough . look at the names Richard Johnson , David Niven ,George Baker . All talent actors inthere own right yet considered not right for Bond . Even Roger Moore who a favorite of Ian Fleming's was removed fron consideration. Now 40 years later we have returned to the "original" problem who came paly "James Bond". I have written in some other post how the Bond Franchise has been "blessed" in the the men who have played Bond after Connery basically fill the role with each man's best trait. Lazenby won the part due to his athleticism and ability to stage realsitic fight sequences. Moore for his natural urbanity and suave nature and gift for light comedy. Dalton brought a gritties , tougher Bond closer to Fleming . While Brosnan is considered the "blended Bond" a even mixture of the best of Connery and Moore , with some of Dalton brooding Byronic pathos and small amounts of Lazenby atheleticism . Now we face a mounmental problem . Who will carry on the series after Brosnan . On one who is mentioned too me is a worthy candidate to continue the Bond series. I feel that just to sit and wait for a actor to appear to foolish. Perhaps Bond is finish , a victim of his own sucess. Brosnan will be a even harder act to replace than Connery . Since we know the history of the franchise and the result of what came after.

#6 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 08:38 PM

I think and hope Brosnan play Bond for the last time in Bond 22 in 2007.
But i think we must search now for an new Bond who can started in 2010.

With Brosnan there are lucky that there have him in 1986.(look to the future of The living daylights) before Dalton take the role.

But now it is a litle dificult to search an good actor that can play Bond.
But i think it is not Missionimpossible.

#7 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 08:46 PM

Originally posted by M_Balje
I think and hope Brosnan play Bond for the last time in Bond 22 in 2007.
But i think we must search now for an new Bond who can started in 2010.

This is the last Brosnan Bond . Look i feel the same , it will be ashame to replace him . Especiallly with god knows what . Let just see how he ages over the next 24 months before shooting for Bond 21 starts. We should have a good indication once he make a new film before Bond 21. He look better in "Evelyn" than in some parts of DAD. So who really know. With every thing that is invested in the Bond franchise now ( MGM financial balance sheet , EON future) only time well tell.

#8 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 09:43 PM

But even if Brosnan will quit after Bond 22, time is still running out to find a new Bond actor. Every time I come across a Bond candidate, I always try look at him with a fresh new pair of eyes. I did that today for example with James Purefoy in 'Resident Evil' and last week with 'Clive Owen'. But I don't think these two actors have what it takes. I'll look at 'William Shakespeare's A Midsummers Night Dream' with Bale and West and tell you what I think of them.

I agree Brosnan will definately be a hard act to follow, but I don't think it's impossible. Maybe Loomis is right. An actor with more starpower saved the franchise before ('Roger Moore'), maybe this is the way to go. This will give actors like Hugh Jackman definately an edge. Still I don't feel an actor like Hugh Grant would be a believable Bond. He just brings too much baggage to the picture. In other words, the actor can not be too well known. There's also the money issue. EON is not going to pay a first time Bond actor the same amount as Brosnan. The actor should agree to sign for at least three films. This will rule out candidates like Jude Law, Guy Pearce and probably Grant aswell.

But one thing is for sure. Bond is a long way from finished. Bond has never been better. And EON is going to need all the credit they have build over the last ten years to gamble on the next Bond.

#9 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 04:40 AM

I'm not too sure...but you might want to look at Christien Anholt.
Not sure if he aged properly, and I haven't seen much of him....

#10 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 05:51 PM

I think the term "fans" should be taken with a grain of salt. MGM knows it has us, the hardcore fans, in its back pocket as we would go see a Bond movie no matter who is in the role. We can scream and holler all we want for Dominic West, Hugh Jackman or whoever. The suits want whoever will put people in the seats.

With Brosnan, they got lucky since people saw and liked him as Remington Steele and made that connection when it came to casting him twice. Otherwise, a lot of surveys back in the day had people wanting Mel Gibson for the role. They want to attract the borderline people to the films who will spend their money and not so much on the ones that buy the 007 merchandise. And right now, that person just doesn't seem to be there that has that quality Brosnan had for name recognition and hardcore fan acceptance (for the most part).

#11 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Turn
I think the term "fans" should be taken with a grain of salt. MGM knows it has us, the hardcore fans, in its back pocket as we would go see a Bond movie no matter who is in the role. We can scream and holler all we want for Dominic West, Hugh Jackman or whoever. The suits want whoever will put people in the seats.

I think the term "fans" means anyone who likes Bond films. They may not buy merchandising or talk about Bond in forums like this, but they do have a certain expectation when buying a ticket to see a Bond film. I doubt people who normally wouldn't like Bond films, would go and see one just because Pierce Brosnan stars. The reason why Brosnan is so popular is because he's everything people love about Bond. A lot of hardcore fans may like Clive Owen, but if you were to show a casual fan a picture of Owen, chances are he will laugh in your face.

EON is looking for an actor the fans would love to see as Bond. They need a second opinion. We the fans could give it to them. All we have to do is find the right actor for the job and unite our voices. A site like CBn is the perfect tool to voice our opinions and make them count.

#12 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball8
I'm not too sure...but you might want to look at Christien Anholt.

It's great to read a new suggestion for James Bond. Keep 'em coming.

I looked up Christien Anholt, wasn't familiar with him, and he looked good. Unfortunately he's only 5'7 tall. Since Bond should be at least 6'1, I think that's a little short to play Bond. But if you have more suggestions, I'd very much like to hear them.

#13 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 02:17 PM

It's great to read a new suggestion for James Bond. Keep 'em coming.
I looked up Christien Anholt, wasn't familiar with him, and he looked good. Unfortunately he's only 5'7 tall. Since Bond should be at least 6'1, I think that's a little short to play Bond. But if you have more suggestions, I'd very much like to hear them.

Who is Christien Anholt ? What has he starred in.

#14 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 06:48 PM

He's probably best known for his role in the t.v. show 'Relic Hunter'. Here is his filmography. But like I said, he's not a serious candidate. He just doesn't fit the profile.

Maybe we should make a list of all the possible realistic candidates. That way, it's easier to find 'the richest man'.

#15 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 10:08 PM

He's probably best known for his role in the t.v. show 'Relic Hunter'. Here is his filmography. But like I said, he's not a serious candidate. He just doesn't fit the profile.
Maybe we should make a list of all the possible realistic candidates. That way, it's easier to find 'the richest man'.

Question , what if there is no one left to consider. May be the house is empty.

#16 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 10:27 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
Question , what if there is no one left to consider.  May be the house is empty.

Since this is not the case, we ain't got nothing to worry about. Although there are not candidates of the calibre of Pierce Brosnan, I can think of enough candidates I wouldn't mind seeing in a Bond film.

#17 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 10:32 PM

Since this is not the case, we ain't got nothing to worry about. Although there are not candidates of the calibre of Pierce Brosnan, I can think of enough candidates I wouldn't mind seeing in a Bond film.

What if he pulls a Raymond Benson and just takes a break. then we are ****ed!!

#18 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 10:41 PM

What if he pulls a Raymond Benson and just takes a break. then we are ****ed!!

If that happens, Jeremy Northam would be the perfect substitute. Although he'll be a little old when Bond 22 starts shooting, right now he's the perfect age to take over (41).

#19 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 04:28 AM

I know this has split some people's opinions....but given the global climate and the relevant and serious issues we're facing in the East and West....I think Rufus Sewell could be 007....

At least, he would be a different kind of 007...

#20 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 09:57 AM

Given the global climate and the relevant and serious issues we're facing in the East and West....I think Rufus Sewell could be 007. At least, he would be a different kind of 007...

Different yes, good no. I love Rufus Sewell as an actor, but he's definately not handsome enough to play Bond. I'd rather have Owen play Bond. And I don't think the relevant and serious issues we're facing in the East and West makes up for the fact he's lacking in the looks department.

#21 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 01:22 PM

Different yes, good no. I love Rufus Sewell as an actor, but he's definately not handsome enough to play Bond. I'd rather have Owen play Bond. And I don't think the relevant and serious issues we're facing in the East and West makes up for the fact he's lacking in the looks department.

Look this discussion has taken on a maudlin quality . Who in the hell is this guy.

#22 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 02:36 PM

I agree with Crashdrive on this one about Rufus Sewell. I've heard his name mentioned before as a possible successor to Brosnan and watched him as a villain in a movie called Bless the Child to check him out. Based on that, he is better suited for the bad guys than Bond. He just doesn't possess the Bond-like qualities.

#23 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 09:12 PM

Look this discussion has taken on a maudlin quality . Who in the hell is this guy.

Check out his filmography. He's best known as the leading man in Alex Proyas' 'Dark City', the bad guy in 'A Knights Tale' & Frank in the romantic comedy 'Martha, Meet Frank, Daniel and Laurence'.

#24 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 09:44 PM

Check out his filmography. He's best known as the leading man in Alex Proyas' 'Dark City', the bad guy in 'A Knights Tale' & Frank in the romantic comedy 'Martha, Meet Frank, Daniel and Laurence'.

We can do better than this i hope. He does not look like a Bond to me.

#25 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 11:11 PM

We can do better than this i hope.  He does not look like a Bond to me.

You bet your buttocks (darn censors) we can do better. Hugh Jackman looks to be the odds-on-favorite. Northam also has a chance, unless he will age considerably the next couple of years.

#26 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 11:34 PM

You bet your buttocks (darn censors) we can do better. Hugh Jackman looks to be the odds-on-favorite. Northam also has a chance, unless he will age considerably the next couple of years.

Since we are in agreement on some important point . Let concentrate on what type of film that Bond 21 will be . Since Brosnan will continue for at least one more film. With Bond 22 open , depending on how well Bond 21 does . and how well he ages. Since DAD is the proto-type , what i mean by this is DAD is light years removed for "GoldenEye " and "TWINE". Both film had great character depth and sophistication. DAD is film similar to "TSWLM" . Northam in my humble opinion looks good to replace Brosnan . Age would be a factor in his case.

#27 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 12:20 AM

DAD is film similar to "TSWLM" .  Northam in my humble opinion looks good to replace Brosnan . Age would be a factor in his case.

I think it's impossible to predict what kind of film Bond 21 or Bond 22 will be. You compare 'DAD' with 'The Spy Who Loved Me'. With that logic, Bond 21 will be the next 'Moonraker' (note: my least favorite Bond film) and Bond 22 the next 'For Your Eyes Only'. But I think it's safe to say the next one will be more low-key (especially comparing to 'MR'). Still I think it's impossible to say which direction the franchise will go in the future. I don't think 'DAD' is the milestone Bond film 'TSWLM' was back in those days.

I really like Northam. He still looks great and since I don't feel every Bond actor has to make at least six Bond films, I think he's a good choice to keep around for three or four Bond films. I'd rather have an actor who is great in three films and calls it a day than an actor who is too young in his first two films but after that is perfect (Brosnan in 'GoldenEye' looked barely old enough. Good thing he didn't get the part in 87). My top choice however (my 'Richest Man in the Poorhouse') is Hugh Jackman.

#28 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 04:25 AM

In the mood for more "Men in the Poor House"?

Jason Carter
Brian d'Arcy James

#29 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 10:56 AM

In the mood for more "Men in the Poor House"?

I'm always in the mood for more 'men in the poorhouse', but James Carter ('King David', 'Babylon 5' & 'Georgia') will also probably be too old and I don't think he looks the part. As for Brian d'Arcy James, I couldn't find any pictures of him, but he's American, so I don't think he has a shot (based on past precedent). I have the feeling EON is looking for an actor who is more a familiar face. Still, it's great you took the time to suggest actors. If you come across more, please let me know.

I have the feeling there are no more rich men out there who'll move into the house.

#30 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:01 PM

I think it's impossible to predict what kind of film Bond 21 or Bond 22 will be. You compare 'DAD' with 'The Spy Who Loved Me'. With that logic, Bond 21 will be the next 'Moonraker' (note: my least favorite Bond film) and Bond 22 the next 'For Your Eyes Only'. But I think it's safe to say the next one will be more low-key (especially comparing to 'MR'). Still I think it's impossible to say which direction the franchise will go in the future. I don't think 'DAD' is the milestone Bond film 'TSWLM' was back in those days.
I really like Northam. He still looks great and since I don't feel every Bond actor has to make at least six Bond films, I think he's a good choice to keep around for three or four Bond films. I'd rather have an actor who is great in three films and calls it a day than an actor who is too young in his first two films but after that is perfect (Brosnan in 'GoldenEye' looked barely old enough. Good thing he didn't get the part in 87). My top choice however (my 'Richest Man in the Poorhouse') is Hugh Jackman.

will Brosnan has aged well . Look like Bond worldly , one too many martinis , too many women. Look a little like young Ian Fleming . Hugh Jackman forget!! Not going to happen. You can't dismiss the influnce that MGM has . It is down played but given that DAD restored it financial balance sheet . It has said expect more of the same. It feel DAD was a important film for the Bond franchise. Had it failed the thread would run wild with how to revive the series and should Brosnan retire. Just the opposite has happened. So as i have written Bond 21 is just if not more important to keep the Bond franchise alive . Since Brosnan will be 52 when filming starts . The other contenders (we know all the names) will be involve in their own long term projects . Example Jackman may get say a X-Men' spin -off of this "VanHelsing" mess my take off. I can happen to some of the others .