#31 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 10:43 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
The only person (s) who have not audition for Bond are male members of the House of Windsor.

Actually the list is pretty limited. Are you familiar with the actors who auditioned?

#32 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 02:22 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive

Actually the list is pretty limited. Are you familiar with the actors who auditioned?

Outside of the familar ones from the past no. It's rather sickening to look at the former names and now the present pretender to the throne .

#33 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 09:16 PM

Outside of the familar one fromthe past no. It's rather sickening to look at the former names and now the present pretender to the throne .

Check the following article from 007 Forever. The list is not entirely complete, but it's a good round-up none the less; Bonded For Consideration.

#34 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 09:41 PM

Ioan Gruffudd is an interesting inclusion to the list. The photo you present does put him in a bit of a Bond pose. I guess it all depends how he ages.

#35 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 10:08 PM

Check the following article from 007 Forever. The list is not entirely complete, but it's a good round-up none the less; Bonded For Consideration.

I am aware of this article. I am still not impressed with the names of those who could have become Bond. Adam West , James Brolin , Tom Selleck .

#36 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes
Ioan Gruffudd is an interesting inclusion to the list. The photo you present does put him in a bit of a Bond pose. I guess it all depends how he ages.

I think he's definately an actor we should keep a close eye on. I agree he looks good in this picture, but despite the fact he's past the age when Lazenby played Bond and is almost Connerys age in 'Dr. No', I think it will take a while before he's ready to wear the tux. Personally, I'd prefer Davenport.

I am aware of this article.  I am still not impressed with the names of those who could have become Bond.  Adam West , James Brolin , Tom Selleck .

Although West was merely considered, I'm still surprised Brolin got to audition. Especially when Moore was a very popular Bond. Why would they even consider an American actor at that point. I still get the shakes when I see his audition on the 'Octopussy' DVD. I wish we could see more auditions. I really missed an 'Inside GoldenEye' feature on the DVD. Especially a segment where they talk about the infamous ten who auditioned. As for Selleck, is it official he auditioned?

#37 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 11:25 PM

I think he's definately an actor we should keep a close eye on. I agree he looks good in this picture, but despite the fact he's past the age when Lazenby played Bond and is almost Connerys age in 'Dr. No', I think it will take a while before he's ready to wear the tux. Personally, I'd prefer Davenport.
Although West was merely considered, I'm still surprised Brolin got to audition. Especially when Moore was a very popular Bond. Why would they even consider an American actor at that point. I still get the shakes when I see his audition on the 'Octopussy' DVD. I wish we could see more auditions. I really missed an 'Inside GoldenEye' feature on the DVD. Especially a segment where they talk about the infamous ten who auditioned. As for Selleck, is it official he auditioned?

Well i read the article and could not believe the names of people listed . Why James Brolin only god knows . I will not pass judgement on Dominic West. As of yet. I feel that Lazenby is not a good role model , given the bad results with EON . I doubt that they would ( i agree with you ) not risk the franchise on a unknown actor . The dilemma is who "fits the bill". With Brosnan we also have to factor in some that most of us forget. He is very happy with the role and goes about his duties with pleasure. Connery "whined" constantly about the media coverage , the types of screenplay . Where Brosnan goes out good like a "good trooper" . I doubt that many young actors West would want to commit to a long term picture deal after so successful a Bond.

#38 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 12:54 AM

I think especially an actor like West would be glad to commit to a long term picture deal. It would mean a big step up for him. Bond made Brosnan a star. A Hollywood leading man. Even an actor like Hugh Jackman, who already is a Hollywood leading man, said he would have no trouble signing on for at least three films. And the fact that Northam agreed to audition for Bond, proves we got more than enough candidates who are willing and eager to drink Wodka Martini's.

#39 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 01:04 AM

Even an actor like Hugh Jackman, who already is a Hollywood leading man, said he would have no trouble signing on for at least three films. And the fact that Northam agreed to audition for Bond, proves we got more than enough candidates who are willing and eager to drink Wodka Martini's.

Jackman said that? Interesting. Seems he's really angling for the role. And when did Northam audition for Bond? Before Brosnan was cast? If not, why are they holding auditions?

#40 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 01:10 AM

If they held it afterwords, they could do so at points of contractual negotiation.

I'm led to believe that during Moore's era when he said that he didn't want to come back they'd start the audition process. If negotiations fell through, they had a replacement Bond, they also had a trump card because they could always say "we have a replacement, you can't demand x in your contract".

That could be a reason for holding auditions. Pierce has recently resigned a contract, perhaps that was part of the reason.

#41 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 01:15 AM

Interesting. I guess it would make sense for them to always have an emergency replacement. That would also cover things like their current Bond dying just before a film was about to go into production. Does anyone know who else has auditioned recently?

#42 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 01:47 AM

Originally posted by Loomis
Jackman said that? Interesting. And when did Northam audition for Bond?

Here's the report where Hugh Jackman made this remark. Northam auditioned in 94.

Does anyone know who else has auditioned recently?

Many of the candidates who auditioned in 1994 still have a shot: Jeremy Northam ('The Net', 'The Winslow Boy' & 'Enigma'), Colin Wells (left) ('Titus', 'CI5: New Professionals' & "Crossroads"), Clive Owen ('The Bourne Identity', 'Gosford Park' & 'Croupier'), James Purefoy ('A Knights Tale', 'Resident Evil' & 'Maybe Baby') & Nathaniel Parker ('Hamlet', 'The Bodyguard' & 'Inspector Lynley Mysteries').
Actors like Greg Wise, Ralph Fiennes, Mark Frankel, Jason Isaacs, Sean Bean, Adrian Paul & your favorite Hugh Grant also auditioned, but I don't think they are in the running anymore.

EON auditioned three actors in 1999: Ioan Gruffudd ('Hornblower', '102 Dalmatians' & 'Black Hawk Down'), Linus Roache ('Priest', 'Hart's War' & 'Wings of the Dove') & Paul McGann ('Withnail & I', 'Queen of the Damned' & 'Doctor Who'). If I'm not mistaking, I believe Jonathan Cake ('First Knight', 'Honest' & 'True Blue') met with the Broccoli's.

#43 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 02:05 AM

Going by those pics, I'd say Colin Wells is visually a perfect choice, although that's a dangerous judgement from seeing only one photo. I've no idea what he's like as an actor. James Purefoy is very good-looking but somehow doesn't seem quite right. And I can scarcely believe that Paul McGann was actually invited to an audition. Fine actor, but hardly a potential 007. Ioan Gruffudd is far too young. Linus Roache simply doesn't look the part.

Something tells me that Jeremy Northam stands a pretty good chance, and Clive Owen an even better one. Hugh Jackman must be the clear favourite, though. He's evidently interested in playing Bond, and I believe that his fame will carry the day.

#44 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 11:16 AM

Some people say pictures can be deceiving. If you were to look at the following picture of Colin Wells, you'll probably chance your mind about him. Same with James Purefoy. He can look terrific for the part. But in reality, he's not so perfect. I have no idea how McGann got to audition. Although Roache fits the profile, I agree he doesn't look the part. Gruffudd is too young, but he has potential I think. I looks terrific in the picture. Still, you know what they say about pictures ;-)

Northam stands a good chance, but he'll be 45/46 when 'Bond 22' will start shooting, so his time is running out. Personally I don't think EON will hire Owen, but perhaps EON doesn't have much of a choice. I absolutely agree Hugh Jackman is the clear cut favorite. Let's just hope he won't be too expensive after 'X Men 2' & 'Van Helsing'.

#45 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 11:27 AM

Personally I don't think EON will hire Owen, but perhaps EON doesn't have much of a choice.  

Are you saying that MGM would overrule EON's objections and hire Owen? Why do you think that EON might be against Owen?

#46 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 11:30 AM

Why do you think that EON might be against Owen?

Because Owen simply doesn't look the part. He's not handsome enough. Especially after the succes of Brosnan's Bond my guess is that EON & MGM want a simular (read: handsome) actor.

#47 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 08:14 PM

Because Owen simply doesn't look the part. He's not handsome enough. Especially after the succes of Brosnan's Bond my guess is that EON & MGM want a simular (read: handsome) actor.

Is this why Ralph Fiennes lead all other as a replacement for Brosnan in the future ? Remember Roger Moore was the frontrunner in the mind of Ian Fleming , but was persuaded that he was too pretty.

#48 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 08:26 PM

Is this why Ralph Fiennes lead all other as a replacement for Brosnan in the future ?  Remember Roger Moore was the frontrunner in the mind of Ian Fleming , but was persuaded that he was too pretty.

Please kev, don't tell me you're taking a poll serious where actors like Hugh Jackman aren't even mentioned and Robbie Williams is. The only reason why Fiennes won is because he's probably the most famous actor of the bunch.

#49 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 08:40 PM

Please kev, don't tell me you're taking a poll serious where actors like Hugh Jackman aren't even mentioned and Robbie Williams is. The only reason why Fiennes won is because he's probably the most famous actor of the bunch.

No ! It is interesting that none of the name mentionher made the list. Would EON go for a famous actor as oppose to a unknown ? Robbie Williams is in the same league as Matthew Perry .Only if western civilization is near it end.

#50 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:02 PM

Please, let's forget this poll. A couple of weeks ago Ewan McGregor and Jude Law won a 'Next Bond' poll. You can't take these polls serious. There about as interesting as a Robbie Williams/ Matthew Perry discussion. The only poll I could take serious is a poll conducting on a site like this, where people know who to pick and who is out there.

#51 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:09 PM

Please, let's forget this poll. A couple of weeks ago Ewan McGregor and Jude Law won a 'Next Bond' poll. You can't take these polls serious. There about as interesting as a Robbie Williams/ Matthew Perry discussion. The only poll I could take serious is a poll conducting on a site like this, where people know who to pick and who is out there.

That 's all well and good . But unless you are a secret casting agent for EON . Those polls do matter . That is how Connery can too like also . The stupid Matthew Perry /Robbie Williams is for those who don't know or love Bond ( it's the causal Bond fan who post in those threads).

#52 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:34 PM

That 's all well and good . But unless you are a secret casting agent for EON . Those polls do matter . That is how Connery can too like also . The stupid Matthew Perry /Robbie Williams is for those who don't know or love Bond ( it's the causal Bond fan who post in those threads).

Hate to burst your bubble but the same casual fans who post in those thread vote in these polls. They can't be taken seriously.

And how do you know I'm not a secret cas......

....oh I guess I'm allowed to comment about this remark. Be sure to check out 'Bond 21' coming in 2005 everybody. :)

#53 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:49 PM

Hate to burst your bubble but the same casual fans who post in those thread vote in these polls. They can't be taken seriously.  
And how do you know I'm not a secret cas......
....oh I guess I'm allowed to comment about this remark. Be sure to check out 'Bond 21' coming in 2005 everybody.

I doubt the causal fan has this kind of influnce on say "Star Wars" or god even "Star Trek" . You wrote ,or so i recall how EON cares for the causal Bond fan. Since they are the ones who purchases tickets . I don't take thee types of poll seriously since for certain Brosnan will make Bond 21. Of course if you have any influnce at EON . You should pass upon your employers that they need to consider the opinions of the hard core Bond fan . Who wait 6 1/2 to for GoldenEye , and loyally acepted Brosnan as Bond . Where it not for those of us who wait like bride at the alter for a new Bond . The series would have tanked after "GE" . So too me the causal fan is some one who watches Bond on the TV on any given weekend . Were i will put on my DVD/VHS of say "Moonraker" , and still enjoy the film simply because it's James Bond. I have lived through the best of times and the worst as a Bond fan . Of course the fantasy would be a real AstonMartin as oppose to a model .

#54 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 10:07 PM

When I talk about how EON cares what the casual fans think, it doesn't mean they are going to pay attention who wins these kinds of polls. Their opinion is important, but fans sometimes can be very stupid and unknowing. A majority of the Bond audience have no idea which actors would be realistic and strong candidates for Bond 6. That's why someone like Robbie Williams has a strong following. They just don't know any better.

Instead of listening to the fans, EON tries to think for them. They are going to pick a candidate they think the public will like and who will do the part justice. That's why I think they won't pick Owen. Based on past precedence, I think EON would have more faith in someone like Jackman. If you were to ask someone in the early nineties who should play Bond, I think Mel Gibson would be the most popular choice. If you to ask someone today after seeing Brosnan as Bond, I doubt anyone would prefer Mel over Pierce. The same thing will happen again. EON has auditioned actors and they already know who looks good as Bond. And untill we see tapes of this audition, I think EON is the only one who can judge.

#55 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 09:39 AM

The stupid Matthew Perry /Robbie Williams is for those who don't know or love Bond ( it's the causal Bond fan who post in those threads).

Now you tell me.
But you're right, Kev. A lot of internet mileage was wasted on the Robbie Williams/ Matthew Perry (especially Matthew Perry) debate.
At least we got to practice our typing skills, if nothing else.

Vodka Martino