#1 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 01:16 PM

i said it elsewhere but i have to say it here:

Eon's NUMBER ONE criteria will be/has been (and SHOULD BE) the belief by the general movie going masses, and by the female gender specifically, that the actor portraying 007 has the handsome looks and devastating charm to "bed" any woman in the world.

i.e. his looks, his physique and the manner in which he comes across in a conversation with a woman will "charm the panties off of her" in a minute.

i think connery had that up to YOLT, roger had it (but was losing it by 1981) and pierce has had it all along.

i truly believe clive owen, no matter how terrific an actor he is, does not have that magical sexual quality.

he may have it with a certain percentage of the female population...but i doubt he has that will the massisive majority of women in the world who go see movies.

#2 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 02:12 PM

My personal criteria for the casting of Bond number 6 is the same as yours. I elaborated on this in the thread 'Dominic West as next Bond'. My personal choices for Brosnan's replacement are either Hugh Jackman or Dominic West. I'm sure Hugh and Dominic will have many women gasp for breath. " Oh James!"

#3 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 03:40 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive
My personal criteria for the casting of Bond number 6 is the same as yours. I elaborated on this in the thread 'Dominic West as next Bond'. My personal choices for Brosnan's replacement are either Hugh Jackman or Dominic West. I'm sure Hugh and Dominic will have many women gasp for breath. " Oh James!"

jackman....maybe, west no way...aint got it;)

#4 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 03:51 PM

Well let's have a look at Eric Bana , he might fit some of the criteria .Especially if Dominic West said no!! ( that was just for you CrashDive. good day!!)

#5 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 05:33 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
jackman....maybe,  west no way...aint got it;)

Would you mind explaining to me why you think West "aint got it"? :)

Originally posted by kevrichardson
Well let's have a look at Eric Bana , he might fit some of the criteria .

I also don't think Bana possess that magical sexual quality Bond should have.
*Sigh*, who would have thought I would ever judge a man on whether or not he has enough magical sexual quality? :)

Especially if Dominic West said no!! ( that was just for you CrashDive. good day!!)

Choose your next witticism carefully Mr. Richardson, it may be your last. :)

#6 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 01:59 AM

Would you mind explaining to me why you think West "aint got it"? :)
I also don't think Bana possess that magical sexual quality Bond should have.  
*Sigh*, who would have thought I would ever judge a man on whether or not he has enough magical sexual quality? :)
Choose your next witticism carefully Mr. Richardson, it may be your last. :)

That is the membership fee to the "Peter Hunt memorial club" . If you recall that was the quality that he looked for in a Bond .And we got George Lazenby!!!!! In so far as Dominic West saying no to Bond . We remember Patrick McGoohan (aka John Drake) . He was offered Bond and refuse!!!!! no moral grounds no less.

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 03:36 AM

I think the number one criteria for the next Bond is that he must be an obvious choice for the role to the mass audience. When Roger was chosen people could see his work as the Saint as a role that proved he would make a good Bond. Similar with Brosnan where the general public saw 'Remmington Steele' and practically demand that he be the next Bond.

As I see it, currently there are no obvious choices by this criteria. Clive Owen's BMW films are a good start for him, but haven't been seen by enough people. Adrian Paul had 'Highlander' and could have used that as a springboard, but has since fallen off the face of the Earth. (Okay, he's got that 'Tracker' show, but that's worse than falling off the Earth.)

#8 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 04:48 AM

there's no good choice now, I think all mentioned names are bad, none of them strikes me as Bond, but as so-and-so as Bond, no he has to be the character...

#9 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 04:56 AM

Originally posted by rafterman
there's no good choice now, I think all mentioned names are bad, none of them strikes me as Bond, but as so-and-so as Bond, no he has to be the character...

thats exactly right rafterman, there are NO GOOD choices, perhaps by the time its time for a new bond there will be a clear choice

#10 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 04:04 PM

Brosnan was a candidate at least nine years before he got the part. Dalton was approached and tested for James Bond 18 (!) years before he doned the tux. Moore was a contender 11 years before he became Bond.
Brosnan will be replaced in probably four to five years. That means we (EON) better start looking for a good replacement or we'll be in big trouble by the time Brosnan steps down.

Whether or not an actor is an (how you put it) obvious choice lies in the eyes of the beholder. A lot of people had doubts about Brosnan. Dalton was a left field choice for many and Roger Moore still is one of the most critized Bond actors.

Now that Brosnan is seriously considering retiring the role after Bond 21, I believe EON's search for his replacement is in full throttle. And it wouldn't surprise me if the actor, who will eventually get the part of Bond, will not be accepted at first hand. A lot of Bonds fans are the kind of folk who think that seeing is believing. Where's your faith guys?

#11 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 11:17 PM

Is this true? He will retire after Bond 21 . I feel that the search is on as we "speak". The proble will be once again how to fill the shoes of a "popular Bond" such as Brosnan . The reason Brosnan was the "obvious choice" in 1994 for GE was that in the minds of many . Bond was finished and , it could not hurt Brosnan's career since by then he was becoming a "character actor" and a B-movie star. Recall some of the "direct to video or cable" films. Look at some of the films "Mister Johnson (1991) , "Live Wire"(1992) "Mrs. Doubtfire(1993) "Love Affair(1994) . So when Dalton was "forced out" , there was no credible english actor at the time who was interested in Bond . since he was pronounced DOA. Look at all the other mentioned during the period , Liam Neeson , Mel Gibson , Sean Bean . This time it might be a little different since the Producer's and MGM will want some one who can help the series and continue it's popular appeal . Is this official that Brosnan will think about leaving after Bond 21.

#12 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 12:01 PM

Look at all the other mentioned during the period , Liam Neeson , Mel Gibson , Sean Bean .  This time it might be a little different since the Producer's and MGM will want some one who can help the series and continue it's popular appeal . Is this official that Brosnan will think about leaving after Bond 21.

First of all, when Dalton stepped down, the twelve (!) main actors who auditioned for the role were Clive Owen, Jeremy Northam, Greg Wise, Colin Wells, Ralph Fiennes, Mark Frankel, Jason Isaacs, Sean Bean, James Purefoy, Nathaniel Parker, Adrian Paul, Hugh Grant. As you can see, EON is always looking for potential replacements.

It's not official Brosnan will quit after Bond 21. He's not ruling out Bond 22. But personally I think Brosnan should definately retire after Bond 22. He'll be 58 when Bond 23 starts shooting, so I'm sure Bond 22 will be his last. But it's save to presume he'll stop after Bond 21. That way, EON will have a suitable replacement ready if Brosnan decides to stop early.

#13 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 06:55 PM

I hope that he does set down after Bond 21. The Roger Moore syndrome as i call it I stay around to long in a role for a younger man) . Plus Connery in NSNA (with the bad wig and acting to boot) .Will convince Brosnan to set down , also what type of script presents it self for Bond 21. Look at all the physical stunt work that when into DAD. The spectre(sorry!!) of Moore and corps of stuntmen in AVTAK will also help to dictate, Brosnan decision . This goes back to some exchanges we have had over directors and "CR" as Bond 21. In that Brosnan will make a "great effort" to end his tenure as Bond on a even higher note than DAD. I feel that during this process th "hunt" for a new Bond will begin in earnest.

#14 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 12:41 PM

I agree. Unlike Moore, Brosnan has other films and franchise if he quits Bond. He's smart. He'll definately not continue with the Bond films if he feels he's too old for them. The fact that he seriously injured himself during the shooting of 'Die Another Day' should remind him that he's not the fresh face anymore he was when he starred in 'Remington Steele'.

That's why the clock is ticking. Bond 21 could be his last. EON doesn't have that much time to find a Bond actor who is best suited for the job. Personally I can't wait to find out who is on EON's short list. Any guesses? Personally I think the following five actors have the best shot of becoming Bond. I rate Davenport higher than Northam, because I feel Brosnan will do Bond 22 (just because he wants to make as many Bond films as Connery: 6). Northam will be too old by then, but Davenport will be just old enough.

1. Dominic West ('Chicago', '28 Days' & 'Mona Lisa Smile')
2. Hugh Jackman ('X Men', 'Swordfish' & 'Kate and Leopold')
3. Gerard Butler ('Reign of Fire', 'Timeline' & 'Lara Croft and the Cradle of Life')
4. Jack Davenport ('The Talented Mr. Ripley', 'Fierce Creatures' & 'Pirates of the Caribbean')
5. Jeremy Northam ('The Net', 'The Winslow Boy' & 'Enigma')

#15 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 04:42 PM

I have heard this from a firend some time back. That Brosnan wnat to "bet"the record established by Moore/Connery. One has to remember , that both Connery/moore had the benfit of the Fleming titles and the following that they alone established . Second , film certainly action-adventure films liks Bond .Did not require the amonuts of physical acting that is expected of todays stars. a Moore /Connery coud relie on A Bob Simmons as a credible stunt doulbe in many scene since the action was not a demanding. Look at the last 4 Brosnan Bond amd the amount of physically stunt work required . Compared the fight scenes in "FRWL" ,GF , TB , in each there was only 1 or 2 major fight scene . Now in Brosnan Bond's every other scene is a prolonged "Punch-Up" . Bond 21 , which i have discussed with you in several other post .Is the defintive Brosnan Bond. He may not be physicially able for another. And as i wrote i another thread , we don't want a repeat of "AVTAK" . I.E. Brosnan and his Stunt doubles starring as James Bond.

#16 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 05:28 PM

If Brosnan will indeed quit after Bond 21, Northam will be 45/46. I still think that's pushing it, but I can't say he's too old. It's not like every Bond actor should make as many Bond films as Connery/ Moore/ Brosnan. Other candidates like West, Jackman, Butler & Wells could be possibilities, but Gruffudd and Davenport will definately be too young. Personally though I think Brosnan has two more films in him.

#17 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 05:46 PM

I disagree. Brosnan will step down after Bond 21. It just that simple . He has made enough money , that will enalbe him to do what Connery did once he left the role after DAF. Pick and chose what he what to star in . Plus the sucess of his production company .Will make it much easier. Brosnan will demand at least $20 million for Bond 21. MGM/Eon will certainly paid that for him , given the sucess of DAD . the final totals of the film are still out ,with openings still to go world wide. Not counting VHS-DVD sale/rentals.

#18 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 07:13 PM

It could be you're right. I don't know. I'm just keeping my options open.

I think Brosnan can already do what he wants. His contract is not as strict as Connery's was. Brosnan has his own production company, he worked with several great directors, starred in several big hits and also a couple of critical success and he's already a leading man. I think Brosnan just loves being Bond. Connery had enough back in the early seventies. Brosnan however wants to continue as long as he's not too old. What a hell of a guy.

#19 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 07:28 PM

First on Connery he was and is full of ****!!!!!! Bond made him what he is today. No one what's to face the fact that he was a two(2) bit "British" actor , in fact he was not even in the class of people like Peter O"Toole , Albert Finney , Richard Harris , Tom Countenay . His contract was not that restrictive . Since he made other films during the early Bond years , "Women of Straw"(1963) ,"Marnie"(1964) "The Hill"(1965) . He signed for what 3 or 4 films with Broccoli and Saltzman in the 1960's to star as Bond the after "Thunderball" , it was the 1 film deal that lead to "YOLT" . He had the chance to make the definitive Bond epic , OHMSS . But he walked away form that to make what a western.

#20 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 07:47 PM

He was able to make other films but his initial contract stated that he was able to make other films as long as Broccoli was one of the producers. He got out of that clause, but still his contract stated that he was allowed to make other films, but the second they would start shooting the next Bond film, he was obligated to be there. That would mean he wasn't able to accept many potential gigs. After the mediafrenzy during the shooting of 'YOLT' he had enough. Who could blame him? He wasn't given any privacy. He got a million dollars for 'DAF' but he put all of hat money into his fund.

Brosnan on the other hand makes five films in ten years (from 95 to 05). Connery made five films in five years (from 62 to 67). A big difference I would say.

#21 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 08:35 PM

He also got a percentage of the profits from "DAF" . so that ****ing myth that he gave all his money a way is bull****. Plus his contract for DAF paid a handsome amount for overtime. At least with Brosnan , regardless how thr "Remington Steele" took advantage of him. He was a real professional , too him a contract was a contract. And like a man he honored it. THe early films were cranked out every year from 1963-65 . Then the start of the 2 year break. That was due to the fact that "OHMSS" , supposed to be next . But EON was having trouble finding locations in Switzerland . Plus it was a warm winter that year so the decision was amke to produce "YOLT" . Again Connery make serveral important films during that period. He is a cry baby !!!

#22 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 11:33 AM

First on Connery he was and is full of ****!!!!!!  Bond made him what he is today. No one what's to face the fact that he was a two(2) bit "British" actor , in fact he was not even in the class of people like Peter O"Toole , Albert Finney , Richard Harris , Tom Countenay .

Sorry, kev, but I have to disagree with you on that one. Connery brought something to the role that O'Toole,Finney, Harris and ESPECIALLY Tom Courtenay did not have. Connery brought his Scottishness. And this is what gave his portrayal of Bond such an edge. He didn't play 007 as a "terribly spiffing English gentleman" , which is how Fleming wrote the character , and that's why he thought Noel Coward would have been a good choice as Bond. (N.B.-Fleming never described Bond as such, but do you see what I mean?)

OHMSS starring Connery would have been great, but going off to make a western ("Shalako") WITH BRIGITTE BARDOT!!!...well, which would you rather do?
I aint trying to upset anyone, here. Just my two cents.

Vodka Martino

#23 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 03:52 PM

Again I don't agree. You have to understand that times were different. The studiosystem was different and especially their contracts are different from each other. Brosnan can do anything he wants to do (with the exception of wearing a tux). Brosnan has a hell of a lot more freedom than Connery back then. Connery was a megastar. His popularity reached 'The Beatles' scale. But he was alone whereas they were with five of them. Connery wasn't used to this. Brosnan has been a fairly well-known actor for a while, but Connery turned from a familiar face in the UK to a worldwide superstar within a year. Connery's life during the shooting of 'YOLT' was a living hell. Brosnan has never experienced something like that.

Also Connery was working his butt off. It's a miracle he was even able to make movies during the time he was Bond, yet he succeeded in making no less than eight non-Bond films (working with legendary directors like Sidney Lumet and Alfred Hitchcock and beautifull leading ladies like Bardot, Lollobrigida and Cardinale) in seven years (not to mention the six Bond films he made then). He had to turn down many offers since EON had the right to take Connery off a picture the second they would begin shooting the next Bond. Yet he honored this horrible contract like a gentleman. When EON offered him $ 1 million to come back, he earned that money, still he invested most of it in his trustfund. Can't believe you can call a man like Connery a crybaby. He made Bond the character he is today. Terence Young said it best when he was asked what the three main ingredients for 'Dr. No' were, for James Bond; "it was Sean Connery, Sean Connery and Sean Connery."

#24 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 08:24 PM

Originally posted by Vodka Martino

Sorry, kev, but I have to disagree with you on that one. Connery brought something to the role that O'Toole,Finney, Harris and ESPECIALLY Tom Courtenay did not have. Connery brought his Scottishness. And this is what gave his portrayal of Bond such an edge. He didn't play 007 as a "terribly spiffing English gentleman" , which is how Fleming wrote the character , and that's why he thought Noel Coward would have been a good choice as Bond. (N.B.-Fleming never described Bond as such, but do you see what I mean?)
OHMSS starring Connery would have been great, but going off to make a western ("Shalako") WITH BRIGITTE BARDOT!!!...well, which would you rather do?
I aint trying to upset anyone, here. Just my two cents.
Vodka Martino

Brigette Bardot was up for the role of "Tracy" . NOel Coward as Bond? never read that , as Dr>No yes. David Niven as Bond read that. The Scottishness , i thought it was because he has sexual magnetism more than the other. In Moonraker the novel , Bond realizes that he is different than the average enlishman , there is something foreign about him. Yes Fleming who did not see Connery in the role , modified his biography of Bond to include his Scottish nature . But then Fleming was the son of a scot also.

#25 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 12:21 AM

Brigette Bardot was up for the role of "Tracy" .  NOel Coward as Bond?  never read that , as Dr>No yes. David Niven as Bond read that.  

Sorry, kev, you are correct. I was thinking of David Niven and Cary Grant. I thought that Noel Coward was considered also.
Bardot would have been interesting as Tracy, but Diana Rigg was exquisite.

#26 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Vodka Martino

Sorry, kev, you are correct. I was thinking of David Niven and Cary Grant. I thought that Noel Coward was considered also.
Bardot would have been interesting as Tracy, but Diana Rigg was exquisite.

Noel Coward who was a close friend of Fleming and his wife anne , was up for Dr.No . But refused. Too bad. Has spirit was channeled by Charles Gray as "Blofeld" in DAF in 1971.

#27 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 06:51 PM

Which of the following actors would fit the criteria for the casting of Bond number 6?

1. Dominic West ('Chicago', '28 Days' & 'Mona Lisa Smile')
2. Hugh Jackman ('X Men', 'Swordfish' & 'Kate and Leopold')
3. Gerard Butler ('Reign of Fire', 'Timeline' & 'Lara Croft and the Cradle of Life')
4. Jack Davenport ('The Talented Mr. Ripley', 'Fierce Creatures' & 'Pirates of the Caribbean')
5. Jeremy Northam ('The Net', 'The Winslow Boy' & 'Enigma')
6. Ioan Gruffudd ('Hornblower', '102 Dalmatians' & 'Black Hawk Down')
7. Colin Wells (left) ('Titus', 'CI5: New Professionals' & "Crossroads")
8. Clive Owen ('The Bourne Identity', 'Gosford Park' & 'Croupier')
9. James Purefoy ('A Knights Tale', 'Resident Evil' & 'Maybe Baby')
10. None of the above (insert actor you think would be better)

#28 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 10:00 PM

CrarhDive , i love chatting with you, But look brother let's face it . except for Northam , Jackman , Clive Owen ( he just always on the list) . Maybe Gerald Butler ( but if he is rumored to be gay , forget) . Most of these guy don't stand a chance.

#29 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 10:36 PM

Let's face it . except for Northam , Jackman , Clive Owen ( he just always on the list) . Maybe Gerald Butler ( but if he is rumored to be gay , forget) . Most of these guy don't stand a chance.

Since West's star is rising after the succes of 'Chicago' and his next feature will be 'the next Julia Roberts film directed by the guy who did Four Weddings and a Funeral' I think he stands a chance. Davenport is still too young, but mark my words, in time he'll become one of the important candidates. Gruffudd already had talks with EON and it looks like they are warming him up to become a future Bond. Wells is Brosnans substitute when Pierce can't make it to auditions. You can see the back of his head in the Maryam D'Abo's audition scene on 'The Living Daylights' DVD. Purefoy auditioned in 94 and his star is also on the rise with films like 'Resident Evil' & 'A Knights Tale'.

#30 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 10:39 PM

The only person (s) who have not audition for Bond are male members of the House of Windsor.