#1 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 04:38 AM

From Death's Door

I'm excited to say that Thomas Clink's fantastic Fan Fiction novel From Death's Door is now available from CommanderBond.net. I first read the first chapters of this story years ago at a now defunct Bond website and was pleased to find it again after that site disapeared. Anyway, I'm quite proud to have the story here. (Mr. Clink is known in these forums as clinkeroo.) You can read Thomas' complete story by following this link.

The file requires Acrobat Reader 4.0 or better

#2 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 06:51 AM

Thank you, Evan. I'm looking forward to receiving some feedback from the knowledgeable fan base here at CBn, even if it's just to point out that I spelled "practise" using the American "practice" three times in the story. Those of you who've read my posts here and on the newsgroup know that I'm very dedicated to Fleming's vision of Bond, and I would like to think this story pays tribute to the man whose novels I fell in love with nearly three decades ago.
Thanks for your time, I think you folks are going to like this one.

clinkeroo

#3 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 12:01 AM

Just read the first couple of pages but what I read was great and hopefully I can finish it by the end of the weekend.

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 06:47 AM

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, DanMan.

#5 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 01:59 AM

Danman,
If all works well, it should hit pace for you in Chapter Three, and by the end of Four, you should be hooked. Let me know if you have any questions, or spot something amiss along the way.
Thanks,
clinkeroo

#6 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 09:48 AM

Clinkeroo,
I'm actually reading FDD. I find it good and hope to go on until the end.
When do you imagine this story a=occur in James Bond bio? Wich year?
As M is Sir Miles it is before 1995 unless in your world there is no new M?

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Cesari
Clinkeroo,
I'm actually reading FDD. I find it good and hope to go on until the end.
When do you imagine this story a=occur in James Bond bio? Wich year?
As M is Sir Miles it is before 1995 unless in your world there is no new M?

I’m curious what clinkeroo will answer for this.

When I read it I pictured it as a modern day tale, but with only the Fleming books as its backdrop. Of course, I know the book was started years ago (and I started reading it years ago), so putting it back a couple of years to behind 1995 is not really a problem. I think that the fact there are a few things that don’t jive with the Benson books, (Felix’s woman, etc.) got me thinking that way. But that did nothing to me to hinder my enjoyment of this story. From Death’s Door is pure Fleming’s 007, and that is what I want in a Bond story; official or not.

#8 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 04:52 PM

Cesari,
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I took the same rule in hand that Glidrose gave to Raymond when he began his stories. In reference to Gardner, Amis, Pearson, etc. they told him to keep what he wanted to keep, and ignore what he wanted to ignore. FDD was almost entirely written before Never Dream of Dying came out, in fact, the first four chapters and the plot outline were done in 1998 after The Facts of Death was published. The references to public Irish figures and the splintering of the FLNC would put the story right about 1998.
When I heard that Raymond was writing about Corsica and Marc-Ange in NDOD, I stopped my own story for about five months in order to see what Raymond had done, I didn't want the two stories to run down the same path for a multitude of reasons. I have the utmost respect for Mr. Benson, and love his work, but upon reading NDOD I was extremely put back by his handling of Marc-Ange's character and his approach to the Corsican people in general. It just didn't have the flavor of the country as I saw (tasted?) it. This gave me more inspiration to complete the story, and to get it right.
I tend to ignore those aspects of Raymond's novels that are associated with the movies. I approach the movies as I would a girlfriend whom I have much affection for. I approach the Fleming novels as I would a wife, someone who is the love of my life. And as in real life, you should never confuse your wife with your girlfriend, the results can be disastrous. In fairness, Raymond was forced by Glidrose to marry the two worlds, but the new M, cars with flying drones, and the like, really have no place in Fleming's world. M was always intended to be Bond's father figure, and in many respects Bond's feelings for M represented his grumbling, but loving feelings, toward the whole of the service.
Since Bond's parents died when he was young, M was Bond's paternal figure, and England, herself, was his maternal figure. Therein lies the explanation of why Bond can be such a lone and rough character, and yet still have unwavering dedication and patriotism; a true tarnished knight, a modern Lancelot du lac.
In a perfect world, where I would be given the opportunity to actually publish FDD in my own time and place, I would most likely edit it's historical content so it would fit into a late-60's to very early-70's time frame, in order to fit better with Fleming's vision of the character. Mr. * is right, my Bond is set in the world of Fleming and Amis, with only hints to the other authors.

An aside- Lord knows I'm not very politically correct, but I notice you list France as your location. Please note that some of the opinions toward France are those of Fleming's Bond (never confused with a Francophile) and the FLNC, and are not those of this author. There's enough misunderstanding right now between our two countries. In fact, my French is a little rough, if you spot any errors in my phrasing, please let me know, and I'll see if Evan will let me make the corrections.

Thanks, and enjoy the story,
clinkeroo

#9 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 11:56 PM

Thanks Clinkeroo for your answer and your explanations. I understand better the way you wrote your novel.
Why the way Raymond approached in NDOD Corsican people is a problem for you?
Don't worry about my touchiness according to the way you or Bond consider french people in your novel. I can read non "francophile" words about my country and laugh about them.
I was very involve in the researches for NDOD as I became Raymond driver, translator and guide in Corsica. But I can read different view of that island or france in general without getting excited.
Generally I like the way Fleming talks about France. I find it so funny!!!
I hope you get the same spirit!
News when I will be more deeper in the book

#10 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 06:45 AM

Cesari,
In the beginning of OHMSS, Bond is rather rough with his opinions of the Corsicans, making the island seem like nothing but a breeding ground for cut throat animals, but by the end of the novel, his opinions have evolved, and he is actually a brother at arms with Draco and his crew. Draco had become one of Fleming's honorable bandits, much like Columbo and a slew of others. To change this is IMHO not in line with Fleming's original intent and character. Raymond seemed to go right for the former, without any of the latter; it was as if the character evolution of the second half of OHMSS had never happened. Marc-Ange went from being a man Bond couldn't help but like, to an evil, twisted man. It was if I wrote a Bond novel where Felix was a foul mouthed heroin addict who like chasing after men; it would not be Fleming's Felix, it would be my own creation contrary to what had been published before. I don't want to throw out too many spoilers, but the family death plot device that Raymond used to explain this transformation was rather contrived, and to put it bluntly, Marc-Ange was Marc-Ange in name only, he was not the character that Fleming created.
My comment regarding the Corsican people was based on Raymond not having many redeeming Corsican characters. They are either criminals or simple-minded mystics. I would have like to have seen some of their immense dedication to their families, some of their big-heartedness, some of their pride, some of their independence, some more of their food, multiculturalism, and language. Make them real, rather than stock villains and stock villagers. One of my criticisms of Raymond's writing is that he seems to come up with a plot, and then bends a culture, or a country, to fit that plot. I have always thought that if you breathe real life into characters and cultures, you let them dictate their actions, and in turn, the direction of the story.
It felt strange, too, having Bond think such warm thoughts of France, when Fleming had been rather harsh on Frenchmen. I believe in those sections we were seeing France through Raymond's eyes, rather than Bond's. This would most likely be a complement to you, and the favorable impression your company and touring must have left with him.
I remember you mentioning your touring with RB in a prior post, and I echo the sentiments of many others when I say I envy you the experience. How great would it be to have a few days to pick that mind of his? I know a bit about literature, but I can

#11 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 01:02 PM

So Thomas, have you actually visited Corsica? It certainly seemed as if you have in your book. Of course, not having actually set foot near that half of the world myself, you could have been describing Dearborn and I would have been none the wiser. :)

I know with my fan fiction, I had actually visited all of the locations I used with the exception of the interior scenes at the Navy Pier, which I used floor plans and photos to form my description. I’m curious about how you handled your locations.

#12 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 05:38 PM

Only in my dreams and my mind's eye. I relied heavily on research, interviews with some Metro native Corsicans, and a whole ton of reading. Many of those pauses in the writing of the story that the folks at Fanfiction.net wanted to string me up for were due to my extensive reading on the subject. I really should make an acknowledgement page now that the story is in a more solid form, but I would be especially remiss if I didn't mention the works of the historian Dorothy Carrington (The Dream-Hunters of Corsica, Napoleon and His Parents, The Traveller's Eye, This Corsica: A Complete Guide, Corsica: Portrait of a Granite Island.) Much of the Corsican flavor of my novel comes from her dedication to the history and the people of the island.
The hardest parts of my research were into the FLNC. Corsica's main business is tourism, and the powers that be wisely do not like to advertise the separatists and terrorists. I actually had to turn to the organizations themselves for info. I did the same with the IRA. I find it kind of funny having done all this work on terrorism and weaponry, not to mention that I'm from Dearborn (the largest Arabic population center outside of the Middle East); I'm sure the good old Patriot Act has my name highlighted somewhere.
I also delved deeply into Corsican food, always an integral part of the Fleming sweep. Thank God I love garlic, but my kids had to eat a lot of Mac and cheese and corn dogs while I experimented.
I also researched the amazing musical tradition of Napoleon

#13 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 06:11 PM

Originally posted by clinkeroo (edited)
Only in my dreams and my mind's eye.  I relied heavily on research, interviews with some Metro native Corsicans, and a whole ton of reading.  Many of those pauses in the writing of the story that the folks at Fanfiction.net wanted to string me up for were due to my extensive reading on the subject.

Well, you fooled me so I would say all the research was worth it.

The hardest parts of my research were into the FLNC.  Corsica's main business is tourism, and the powers that be wisely do not like to advertise the separatists and terrorists.  I actually had to turn to the organizations themselves for info.  I did the same with the IRA.

Wow! Did you tell them what you were up to? And, if so, what did they have to say?

I find it kind of funny having done all this work on terrorism and weaponry, not to mention that I'm from Dearborn (the largest Arabic population center outside of the Middle East); I'm sure the good old Patriot Act has my name highlighted somewhere.

Funny. But I know I had to change my tact on research because of terrorism and 9/11. I was thinking of asking alot of question to someone about a tanker truck, but then it occured to me that it could look like I was planning another Oklahoma City, so I waited until I found someone who knew me and knew a bit about the subject.

All together, I spent more than a year-and-a-half researching Corsica, and I'm fairly confident that much of it came out in the writing.

Impressive. And yes, it did.

It would be hard creating the Fleming sweep just sticking to those places.  At least if I ever do get over there I'll know where to go.  The jet-setting world of Bond is an expensive one to emulate for a theater manager.

For me, it wasn’t until I visited Jekyll Island in Georgia that I thought I could pull off a Bond novel. I had planned to set most of my story here in Saint Louis, but knew that it couldn’t be the only location. While Saint Louis is not what you would call a Bond city, there are Bond things in the city. And besides according to Amis notes my story would be Bond’s second visit to the Gateway to the West. :)

[B]Hell, sections of my next Bond story are in China...

Ooooo... ::drool:: I can’t wait, but I guess I’ll just have to.

#14 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 07:20 PM

The fund raising arms of both organizations have web presences, and in the case of the IRA, it is almost like a large corporation's customer service department. My main problem with the FLNC was that much of their stuff is in French (you want an impossible task, try finding an English/Corsican dictionary, if anyone out there knows of one, please contact me). I was directed to some articles in English that did a lot to help. No, I didn't let them know why. That's one advantage that an "official" Bond author would have, these guys would jump at the publicity, even if they weren't portrayed in the best of lights.
In the end, I'm still a right-winger, but I understand and sympathize with both causes, even though I despise the murderous tactics they use.

#15 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 11:46 PM

Clinkeroo,
Thanks for your explanations. May be you are right saying the way Draco behave in NDOD is artificial. But as Raymond says Marc Ange didn't BECAME a vilain. He has always been a bad guy. The difference is that now he is against Bond.
I know well Corsica. I have a lot of corsican friends and I have gone often in the island. I don't agree with you when you say Raymond show Corsica too basicaly. The difference is that in your novel Bond is hiding from ennemies. So he lives in Corsica from the inside. In NDOD Bond is chasing the vilain, so he discovers Corsica from the outside. You don't have traditionnal corsican food and music everywhere in the island. Specially in big cities. In villages may be. And generally it is not so hard to find hot water! ;-)
I don't think Raymond shows all corsican people as bad guys or mystical simple-minded. But in corsican culture, fraud is current. And I don't judge corsican people by saying that. It is a cultural fact. Everybody is cheating with everything (law, police penalty, elections, tax evasion...). It part of the fight against political ennemies. And this doesn't make corsican people, persons to hate. I like them for being like that. And everybody has strong links with ancient mystical beliefes. And they are not simple minded for being like that.
You talk about multiculturalism. It is true for the cultural origins. But actually and specially in villages corsican people are not "defenders" of multiculturalism but rather of pure corsican origins.
May be Raymond was too kind with France and french people, but I remember he didn't like too much Cannes and the film festival and Paris. And as Bond doesn't like Paris too, their feelings about that city where similar in that book.
I have read FDD until chapter seven and appreciate it a lot. May be you have had some difficulties to translate in french a few expressions or words. They are translated sometimes with mistakes and sometimes in a rather too much literal meaning. But those details doesn't spoil my great pleasure in reading your novel.
Sorry for my rough english.

#16 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 05:16 AM

Cesari,
When I decided to bring this story over from Fanfiction.net, it was with the hope in mind that I would receive exactly this sort of insightful response. It's taken a few months, but I assure you, your thoughts, with your firsthand knowledge of the island, are extremely valuable to me.
Your analysis of the way Bond is introduced to Corsica in both books is dead on, and the next time I read NDOD I will approach it with those thoughts in mind. As far as the relative honesty of the Corsicans, your words echo what almost all of my sources told me. But there is a definite sense also that they still consider themselves honorable bandits. My use of the word "multiculturalism" may have come across poorly in translation. The concept of "pure" Corsican blood and the pride they have in it was exactly what I was driving at, as opposed to seeing themselves as strictly French or Roman. I think we're on the same page there.
I will stand by my comments on the character of Marc-Ange, and Bond's opinions of Frenchmen, as not being faithful to Fleming. But it would be a boring world if we agreed all the time. As for the food, as Raymond accurately pointed out in Zero Minus Ten Bond prefers to eat the traditional food of a country when he travels there. As I mentioned in my Casino Royale article, Fleming found the proper use of food in his writing very, very important. Sorry about the hot water line, it's kind of a personal joke for me.
I also didn't mean to say that Raymond's Corsicans appeared simple because they were mystical. I was actually saddened that Raymond got into the dream hunters; I really wanted to incorporate that into FDD. The character that became Emiliano was originally intended to be a mazzeri. I'd say more, but I don't know how deep you are into the book.

May be you have had some difficulties to translate in french a few expressions or words. They are translated sometimes with mistakes and sometimes in a rather too much literal meaning. But those details doesn't spoil my great pleasure in reading your novel.

Thank you. I don't mean to impose, but if you could help me straighten out some of the rough spots I'd appreciate it. Language flow and suspension of disbelief are very important to me. I'd like to make FDD a little more digestible for future French-speaking readers. You will never believe how much time I spent trying to get an accurate translation of "little ball of hate," and yet I still fell short. If I sent you a Word-formatted version of the story, would you mind pointing out some of these spots, or possibly even suggest better, or more accurate, phrasing? Your assistance would prove invaluable.

Sorry for my rough english.

I wish my French were a tenth as good as your English, my friend. What a joy it would be to be able to read Dumas in the original tongue.

#17 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 11:14 AM

Yes many corsican people consider themselves as "honorable bandits". And many corsican people too are very familiar with use of fraud in every day. But about independance only 10 per cent of the population really want it. They still want to keep economoc links with France. It is hard for a free country to live only with tourism. Generally corsican people consider themselves as corsican. And french in second.
I've talked with many supporters of independence. They usually are supporters of authonomy rather than independance. Self governement and french economy.
And among independentists they are many fights. Nobody agree with anybody. And sometimes they fight bteween themselves harder than with people out of Corsica.
I have talked with many corsican people who don't agree for example with youg people bombing tourists. They prefer them to attack autority simbols like cops, or prefects of french governement.
If you want I would be pleased to "improve" your french words and sentences. That is what I did for Raymond even if they are still mistakes in the book NDOD. For example: a dream hunter male is called a "mazzero", a dream hunter female is a "mazzera". If they are in the plural and male they are "mazzeri". If they are in the plural and female, they are "mazzere". And they are men and women they are "mazzeri". I wrote it to Raymond when i received the first incorrected proof of NDOD, but it was too late to change it. Necertherles, some corrections appeared in the UK version, but other remain. I don't know how it is in the US version as I don't have it.

"You will never believe how much time I spent trying to get an accurate translation of "little ball of hate," and yet I still fell short."

Yes, I believe it because a litteral translation means nothing in french.
No problem send me a word version and I will try to help you in french translation. Do you have my email adress?

"What a joy it would be to be able to read Dumas in the original tongue."

Yes really. I'm a Dumas fan too and it was really a great pleasure to discover in my birth language "The three musqueteers".
But I discovered and read Fleming only in french translations, never in english. But since i'm ten years old when I read Casino Royal, I'm a Fleming hard fan. I read Raymond and John Gradner books in english only when they are not translated in french.

#18 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 11:55 AM

...I was actually saddened that Raymond got into the dream hunters; I really wanted to incorporate that into FDD. The character that became Emiliano was originally intended to be a mazzeri.  I'd say more, but I don't know how deep you are into the book...

I am relieved to hear that I wasn’t the only one who had to change their story to accomidate Benson’s books. I had rewrites on my story after Doubleshot, Never Dream Of Dying, and The Man With The Red Tattoo came out. I feel better now.

You will never believe how much time I spent trying to get an accurate translation of "little ball of hate," and yet I still fell short...

I thought French for ‘little ball of hate’ was ‘le pat verbeek’. :)

#19 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix

I thought French for ‘little ball of hate’ was ‘le pat verbeek’. :)

You caught me. We are Hockeytown, afterall. Just one of those great phrases, and players, that stick in your head.

#20 Fawn

Fawn

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 05:15 PM

Just wanted to say, Clinkeroo, awesome fanfic. I've read few better and I've read many, many worse; good job all 'round. The land of Bond fanfic is pretty barren compared with, say, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings...very sad, sometimes.

FDD had some highly enjoyable moments ("poor man's Errol Flynn" cracked me up) and some more deeply introspective moments besides. The end left me a little cold, but I think that was the idea; you go out, you save the world, and ride off into the sunset, but all the pain and aftershocks and misgivings are hidden from the public eye. I liked the way you handled Bond's emotions very much. He was most definitely Fleming's boy, not the monstrous Hollywood creation (although he has his proper place, as well.)

Bravo, bravo, bravissimo!

#21 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Fawn
The land of Bond fanfic is pretty barren compared with, say, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings...very sad, sometimes.

I agree. It was always my hope that FDD would help some of the other Fleming wannabe's come out of their please-don't-sue-me closets. Aside from the stories here, some of the work over at M16, and a handfull of the fanfiction.net stories, there isn't much out there worth reading. Almost all of it is based on the films, which look great on the screen, but unless your name is Christopher Wood, they don't make very good reading.
Thanks for the kind words,

#22 Fawn

Fawn

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 09:35 PM

I'm in the middle of an angsty Bond/Natalya fic that takes place after GE, but I'm not exactly sure what direction I want it to go so for now all I have is a title, "Here's to the Night". Bond is by no means an easy character to write.

I'm actually in the middle of a script and accompanying novel about Bond meeting and falling in love with an ordinary girl who isn't particularly impressed with him, but I wouldn't call that fanfic so much as Future Movie. Except it will never be made. Anyway, the beginning of the script is here, if anyone cares.

Clinkeroo, do you know where some good Bond fanfic might be found? I think I've drained the available resources dry, and I have to read the same ones again and again...

#23 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 04:21 AM

Not much worth reading. The fan fiction forum here on this site, and the one on M16 seem to have a continual supply of material, but much of it is just jotted ideas and never finished beginnings of scripts and stories. Some of the guys here attempted a serial fan fiction novel with different authors writing segments of a story. It didn't pan out so great, but there was a more successful try over at ajb007.co.uk in the literature forum. I was suprised at the quality. Beyond these places, and fanfiction.net, there isn't much out there, and most of what there is...well, it is good intentioned.
Please folks, if you're out there, and you've got a story up somewhere on the web, be it a forum, a web page, or a fan fiction site, and it is Fleming inspired, and you put the effort into it to make sure it is well written, please let me know, and if it is of ok quality, I'll help get the word out.

#24 Fawn

Fawn

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 05:08 PM

Hmmm. I have lots of bits and peices of my novel written, dythink I should just forget my grandiose dreams of publishing and go ahead and post the darn thing? That might motivate me to actually finish it, heh...

You're free to promote anything of mine, Mr. Clink. :)

#25 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 05:41 PM

I think that posting the story as you go along is a great idea as long as you are dedicated to finishing it. It can give you momentum and valuable feedback. I believe that with Mr. *'s new dedicated fan fiction forum it will be easier for authors to serialize their work, and easier for interested parties to read them. Great idea, Evan.

#26 Fawn

Fawn

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 06:41 PM

I'm dedicated to finishing it now, but I don't know how long it'll last. I treat my stories the way Bond treats his women, unfortunately: love 'em, and leave 'em. I've made lots of cover art for it, but I can't seem to get down to actually finishing it. The final chapter, particularly, has been giving me problems, as are some elements of the plot; my co-writer is busy with too much schoolwork, whilst my beta-reader is on vacation in Chicago. Just my luck.

I'm afraid it won't be as exotic as yours, clinkeroo. Most of the novel takes place in America, but I think I will have a tiny excursion into, say, Germany or Russia. Or, better yet, some place I've actually been to. :)

#27 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Fawn (edited)
...but I think I will have a tiny excursion into, say, Germany or Russia.  Or, better yet, some place I've actually been to.  :)

If I would have had access to this international forum when I originally planned my book, I think I might have been more willing to set parts of it overseas. I have already asked some of my international friends if they could help me scout locations for another story. Of course, now I have to figure out the story. :)

#28 Fawn

Fawn

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 07:11 PM

All right, I'm officially petitioning all of you who don't live in the immediate Washington State area: can I set a sinister headquarters somewhere in your town? Is there a remote place, an old abandoned castle, or something? Let me know, I'd especially love to put it in Germany, for some reason, but if anyone has better suggestions I'd be glad to use them.

#29 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 01:28 PM

Searched the web for Bond FanFiction and found this;

http://home.att.net/...ndchaz.parenti/

It reviews bond FanFiction. Ross Sidor, Evan Willnow, Thomas Clink and Jim Hatfield are reviewed. Evan & Thomas got particulaly good marks.
Thomas 4.5/5
Evan4/5

I haven't read the actuall reviews as i don't want to spoil any story elements. But i did catch the bit that says;

'the only reason I didn't give this novel a perfect five star rating was in hope that Thomas Clink would accept the challenge of writing another.'

I'm just a few chapters in at the mo.

So Mr Clink, will there be another bond FanFic from you? If so, where are you at with it?

I intend on writing some Fanfic myself one day - though not for a few years. I'm waiting till i've got more years and experience under my belt and can visit a few more places for research. I'm only 21 and don't feel i could do a bond novel justice just yet. I think i need to have lived a bit more. Not that i'm not sketching out storylines, i keep a notebook specifically for bond stuff, noting down character names as they occur, locations i've read about, news exerts that inspire me, titles - some that i just think sound bondian, some that are drawn from storylines i've sketched out etc.

One day though, one day...

Hawkeye.

#30 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye

So Mr Clink, will there be another bond FanFic from you? If so, where are you at with it?

Good timing, Hawkeye. My short story Deathstyles of the Rich and Blameless will be going up either today, or most likely tomorrow, over at Fanfiction.net. Once I've worked out some of the bumps, I'll then submit it to The Rough and the Smooth here at CBn. The story is set in the Grenadines in 1982 and will hopefully be as entertaining to read as it was to write.
The next novel, which for the time being I'm calling The Art of (Cold) War, is somewhere off in the distance. The roadblock, at the moment, is the need to find someone who can translate English to phonetic Chinese (either M. or C., it can work either way). :)
There's also another short story titled Before I Wake that may surface before then.

I intend on writing some Fanfic myself one day - though not for a few years. I'm waiting till i've got more years and experience under my belt and can visit a few more places for research. I'm only 21 and don't feel i could do a bond novel justice just yet. I think i need to have lived a bit more. Not that i'm not sketching out storylines, i keep a notebook specifically for bond stuff, noting down character names as they occur, locations i've read about, news exerts that inspire me, titles - some that i just think sound bondian, some that are drawn from storylines i've sketched out etc.

One day though, one day...

Hawkeye.

Very mature and sound thinking. I didn't attempt to write FDD until I was into my 30's for that very reason. I've been writing since my earliest recollections, I've been submitting since I was 13, and I spent years as a journalist, but Fleming was a first love of mine, and I didn't want to try until I knew I could do justice to the source material. The ideas are the easy part; almost anyone can come up with a clever idea, pop a bloke called Bond into the story, and rattle off a few thousand words. It's writing enough to develope your own voice that truly helps, and then waiting for that voice to mature enough to use it to tell a Flemingesqe tale. If I hadn't lived as much as I had, travelled as much as I did, and had the opportunity to meet as many facinating and diverse people as I managed to meet, I never would have tried to take on a Bond tale. Keep writing, keep recording those notes/characters in your sketchbook, and as Mr. Stephen King put it, wait until you're ready to dig something really big out of the sand, and one day I'm sure you're going to come up with a great Bond story. Believe me, I'll read it.

Good Luck,

clinkeroo