#31 Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 07:51 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
and i would not mine seeing bond get back to that level now after watching LTK AND FULLY APPRECIATING DALTONS PERFORMANCE, ALTHOUGH I AM NOT SURE BROSSIE CAN PLAY BOND THAT WAY FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME >i have seen gleamses of it here and there but could he do his own ltk?.......i just dont know

Hey, Bondfinesse, I also really dig Brosnan. He, like all the others, brings a different style to the plate. As someone well put it, sort of a blend of Moore's witicism, Connery's smoothness and a bit of Dalton's menace. Shaken, not stirred. But I lOVED TD's intensity. In TLD, that scene where the other agent was crushed in the glass doors and the ballon floated next to Bond, the FACE HE MADE as it all hit him hard. That was "one of those classic Bond moments".

I'm sorry, I totally respect every one of the members here who profess a particular fondness for the various actors who have played Bond over the years. But I am just so intrenched in Dalton as THEE Bond, especially for a new decade.:)

#32 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 03:08 AM

WELL I MUST SAY AND I CANNOT GET OVER IT, THE FACT THAT TEN YEARS AGO I DID NOT LIKE LTK and then to watch it after so many years and to see just how good dalton is as bond, well i guess its kinda like what scrooge went through >a change sorta...or the light bulb went on kind a thing and its funny how time will change your likes and dis likes but daltons did a great job and iam glad i finally got to see it and appreciate it

#33 B5Erik2

B5Erik2

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 07:42 AM

It's funny - sometimes people are put off by Dalton as Bond at first, but then they warm up to him - especially if they've read Fleming's novels.

Honestly, I was not quite sure what to make of Dalton at first. I grew up with Roger Moore as Bond - and at that point I didn't like Connery's Bond (hey, I was young and dumb :) ), so Dalton's performance was such a shock...even if I did love bits here and there right away ("Stuff my orders!" I LOVED his attitude there from the first time I saw TLD!)

Once I saw LTK as a 21 year old, I "got it," and have been a HUGE Dalton fan ever since. Dalton's Bond is more realistic and more sophisticated than any of the other actors' versions. His Bond is flesh and blood - but he's still Bond. Nobody does it better than Bond - he's just a little more clever, a little better at what he does than anyone else around him - and Dalton's Bond reflects that. Dalton's Bond just happens to have realistic motivations and has emotions (not wimpy emotions, like some people like to complain about, but real emotions).

Brosnan's Bond occasionally touches on what Dalton did with the character, but never fully explores that territory. Brosnan may be smoother, but Dalton came across more like a killer - an assassin - would. Bond IS an assassin, that's what the licence to kill is all about!

LTK is so damn good that I hold each and every new Bond film up to that standard. GE, TND, and TWINE all have moments that match up. DAD has some too - hell, the whole first half of the movie (after Bond's "escape" from his MI6 "hospital") - too bad the last 1/3 of DAD goes into DAF meets MR meets TND mode.

I try not to watch LTK more than once a year - I don't wan't to become so familiar with it that I know ALL of the lines, and ALL of the sequences by heart. I wan't to end up saying to myself, "Oh, yeah! I almost for got about that part - that was a really cool bit/sequence/line!"

Like I said before, the ONLY thing that I would change would be Felix's demeanor at the end. Other than that I would not change a thing.

#34 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:54 AM

I was the same as you Erik.

In my younger days i loved Moore and did not want to know about Dalton and never saw his two films.

Then i was off Bond for some time until the DVD sets came out about 2-3 years ago.

LTK was in the first set and having watched it i was blown away. Then TLD in the third and final set sealed it for me. Dalton i realised was and always will be the best and most convincing 007 for me.

I was also very, very upset and sad that there would be no more Dalton films.I am still trying to get over this but recent revelations about a third "robot" film and the original Dalton version of Goldeneye have deepened the pain.

#35 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 09:43 AM

i just wonder......course we will never know how dalton would have been in the dad torture scenes or in the first half of dad for that matter, though i think they would have been very powerful, and then see we would not have needed jinx with dalton, i dont think that would have worked at all and all the "forced funny lines" that would have been out as well

#36 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 04 February 2003 - 09:44 AM

I'm quite staggered that, after about a week in the forums, Jim hasn't decided to poke his head in here and cut a swath with his rapier wit. :)

#37 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 10:53 AM

Perhaps he's tired of writing things like "the best way to improve LICENCE TO KILL would be to bury it at sea for 200 years/re-issue it in Farsi with the negative painted over by David Hockney/sell the DVD boxes minus the DVDs", etc.:)

#38 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 11:19 AM

:) I really do enjoy his rather cruel wit. Keep 'em coming Jim

#39 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 02:51 PM

Absolutely, CBn would be a much, much duller place without Jim's contributions. I'm actually rather disappointed that he hasn't laid into LICENCE TO KILL on this thread.