This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Am I the only Bond fan who is sick of Connery's whining?

79 replies to this topic

#61 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 01:16 AM

Dr. Tynan: Am I the only Bond fan who is sick of Connery's whining?
Connery always seems to be slagging Bond. It's as if he thinks he is some brilliant actor and the Bond movies he starred in were beneath him.
I'd just like to know are the rest of you sick of Connery's whining? I know I am. I know one should not believe everything one reads and I only hope I have misunderstood Connery.

.... Ian Fleming once referred to James Bond as his "cardboard booby." But for you to have an impression about Connery "always" "whining" & "slagging" Bond, you must have heard him make many derogatory comments about the character. Can you give us some examples? Here's how Sir Sean put it on one occasion: "I never disliked Bond, as some have thought. Creating a character like that does take a certain craft. It's simply natural to seek other roles."
http://www.allstarz....nery/quotes.htm

Blox

#62 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 01:29 AM

Originally posted by Roebuck: Cubby phoned Connery shortly before he died, and I understand the pair of them were able to patch up their differences. Nice that they had that chance.

...Connery was reportedly the first to phone in condolences to the family when Cubby died. Dalton was the only actor to show up at the funeral. Dalton, Moore & Brosnan showed up at a tribute some months later. Source articles below.

Blox

----

Albert Broccoli's Funeral
Tuesday, July 2, 1996 7:00 p.m.

Former 007 Timothy Dalton helped lay Albert Broccoli to rest today in a funeral attended by some other Hollywood notables.

Dalton, who played Bond in The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill, was the only 007 to attend Broccoli's funeral. According to Extra, Pierce Brosnan was on location filming, and Sean Connery and Roger Moore were out of the country. Although they did not attend, all three sent their condolences.
http://www.ianflemin...broccoli2.shtml

---

Moore, Dalton & Brosnan Honor 'Cubby' Broccoli in London
November 17, 1996 9:10 p.m.

Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan gathered at the Odeon cinema in Leicester Square, London Sunday to honor the career of long-time Bond producer Albert "Cubby" Broccoli. Broccoli was the guiding force for the Bond movies for three decades and passed away earlier this year at age 87.

The event was billed as a reunion for all the Bonds, but Sean Connery was working out of the country and George Lazenby was also unable to attend. The event was held at a place of historic importance in 007 film history -- Dr. No premiered there in 1962.

Other Bond film icons that attended included Lois Maxwell (Miss Moneypenny) Desmond Lewellyn ('Q') and Christopher Lee (Bond's adversary in The Man With the Golden Gun).

Many of Cubby's coworkers from his many years in film remembered the times they had worked with him.
http://www.ianflemin...es/3bonds.shtml

#63 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 29 September 2003 - 02:36 AM

There is one quote that comes to mind and its summat like this; "Unfortunately they're [Harry and Cubby] are both dead now, or fortunately depending on your point of view."

It isn't just a feeling that he disliked Bond, but a lot the people associated with EON. Although Perhaps he had good reason too, I wouldn't know.

But the quote from Sean above (if it is true) is kinda savage IMO.

#64 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 02:45 AM

Oh and another, but this is one that I have to be careful of (you have to be careful with quotes) as I'm working from distant memory.

I think it goes something like this "I don't like Bond because he is English, period."

However if I'm mistaken, then I will delete this post.

#65 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 02:16 PM

Dr. Tynan, I honestly have never heard that quote. I am familiar with this one that Sean made about Bond:
http://www.allstarz....nery/quotes.htm

:: "I care about Bond and what happens to him. You cannot be connected with a character for this long and not have an interest ... All the Bond films had their good points."

Without getting into the sort of unending & contentious exchanges of another thread in this forum -- its probably more accurate to say that Connery whined more about his dealings with the producers than about Bond or the Bond films per se. I think some of Connery statements were a bit raw frankly, but then again, independent Bond properties he was associated with from 75 to 83 were enjoined in law suits -- despite the fact that McClory had a legal remake rights. This would have hardly improved sentiments between Connery and the producers. Here's a window into Connery's thoughts on rudeness:

:: "My view is that to get anywhere in life you have to be anti-social, otherwise you'll end up being devoured. I've never been particulary social, anyway, but if I've ever been rude, fifty per cent of it has usually been provoked by other people's attitudes. Though I do admit, like most Celts, I'm moody. It's fine until people try to cheer you up with gems like, 'snap out of it' or 'Come on, now'."

Hope this helps,

Blox

#66 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 10:13 PM

Cheers :)

I wrote somewhere on this thread that it's actually fairly hard to pin point exactly how Connery feels about Bond itself.

I know that lot of my beliefs are only (what you might call) "Speculation". Connery comes across as wanting to do other things aside from Bond because he wanted to prove that he was capable of better roles and that he is versatile. But without wishing to antagonize the Pro-Connery people (quite sincerely), I feel that Connery has an over-inflated sense of his own acting capabilities. I actually don't think he is a particularly good actor. I was watching a non-Bond movie he did and I actually felt embarrassed his acting was so poor, IMO. I don't understand all the praise he gets.

But again, not being antagonistic. :)

#67 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Tynan
Cheers :)

I wrote somewhere on this thread that it's actually fairly hard to pin point exactly how Connery feels about Bond itself.

I know that lot of my beliefs are only (what you might call) "Speculation". Connery comes across as wanting to do other things aside from Bond because he wanted to prove that he was capable of better roles and that he is versatile. But without wishing to antagonize the Pro-Connery people (quite sincerely), I feel that Connery has an over-inflated sense of his own acting capabilities. I actually don't think he is a particularly good actor. I was watching a non-Bond movie he did and I actually felt embarrassed his acting was so poor, IMO.  I don't understand all the praise he gets.

But again, not being antagonistic. :)

If Connery is not given good material to work with, his acting isn't going to be much. However, FF proved that with the right film, Connery could create a good performance.

#68 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 12:37 AM

Dr. Tynan: I wrote somewhere on this thread that it's actually fairly hard to pin point exactly how Connery feels about Bond itself.

...Well it seems he rather likes the character of Bond. As the production design got bigger and more spectacle oriented, I think he felt the focus on his character was a bit diminished (compared with a film like FRWL) and he got "bored" with how the character was being utilized -- but not with the character itself.

Dr T: Connery comes across as wanting to do other things aside from Bond because he wanted to prove that he was capable of better roles and that he is versatile.

...Well he had been doing different parts in between the Bonds, and, as you imo rightly say -- he wanted to continue with other parts.

But without wishing to antagonize the Pro-Connery people (quite sincerely), I feel that Connery has an over-inflated sense of his own acting capabilities. I actually don't think he is a particularly good actor. I was watching a non-Bond movie he did and I actually felt embarrassed his acting was so poor, IMO. I don't understand all the praise he gets.

...It depends on the film. Every actor has his share of dogs. I thought he did a fine job in a number of Sidney Lumet pictures. Outland was well acted, as was Wind and the Lion, Man Who Would Be King, Untouchables, a Fine Madness, and an early one -- Frightened City.

But again, not being antagonistic.

...As Cubby was fond of saying-- that's what makes horse races.

Cheers,

Blox

#69 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 12:42 AM

FF (Finding Forrester?) I haven't seen it, so I can't say anything about it.

Doesn't Connery play a poet in that. That's just it, I'd find a hard to see Connery as a poet.

#70 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 03:34 AM

Doesn't Connery play a poet in that. That's just it, I'd find a hard to see Connery as a poet.

Not a poet, but the writer of one book and a hermit with social anxiety. I'm giving you a homework assignment Tynan and that's to see Finding Forrester and I think your going to be very surprised at Connery's acting. Seriously, check it out and see what Sean is capable of. There's a scene where he has an anxiety attack in a social setting and watch Connery's acting closely; quite impressive for an otherwise cheesy actor.

#71 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 08:20 PM

He previously played a poet in a 1966 movie called A Fine Madness, which was directed by his future NSNA director Irvin Kershner. He didn't behave like one in it, and often went nuts on people.

#72 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 11:31 PM

Originally posted by BondNumber7

Not a poet, but the writer of one book and a hermit with social anxiety. I'm giving you a homework assignment Tynan and that's to see Finding Forrester and I think your going to be very surprised at Connery's acting. Seriously, check it out and see what Sean is capable of. There's a scene where he has an anxiety attack in a social setting and watch Connery's acting closely; quite impressive for an otherwise cheesy actor.

Will do.

#73 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 12:44 PM

Did anyone see the UK news following the premiere of LXG?

It appears that relations between Connery and director Norington aren't very rosy. Norrington wasn't present at the occasion and Connery was asked if he knew where he was.

"No, no idea where is he is. Do you?"

And then when asked if Connery had buried the hatchet with Norrington, he said,

"Yes, in his head."

Splendid stuff I have to say. Never one for having been schooled in fluffy media hype, even at 70 odd, he's still as uncompromising as ever. Even if relations were OK between Eon and Connery, I don't imagine he would ever be allowed back in the camp due to is unbowing tendency to not follow the line.

Very entertaining.

#74 Jaelle

Jaelle

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 01:17 PM

Whatever Connery's gripes with EON (and I can't help but be amused by some of his jibes like the one quoted in this thread about LXG's Norrington), I think he's an exceptional actor. He has his limits as all actors do but his work in The Wind & the Lion, The Hunt for Red October, Finding Forrester, The Man Who Would Be King, The Untouchables, his remarkably endearing and upright take on Indy's father in The Last Crusade, even his rather wild and scary performance in the inferior The Rock (I enjoy the film, but I wouldn't give it 3 stars) are much deeper, complex performances than people give him credit for. Tho he did get recognition for The Untouchables. He's done some lame stuff--First Knight, LXG, The Avengers--stuff that's quite beneath not just his skills but his energy and time but he's certainly not the only actor in the world to lend his talents to inferior work.

I agree, tho, Mr. Tynan, with your reaction to that quote cited in Cubby's autobiography from the Sunday Telegraph magazine. If it's accurate, it's certainly ungracious and tasteless of him. But the man is no angel. He is what he is. Take him or leave him.

#75 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 04:34 PM

Dr. Tynan: Doesn't Connery play a poet in that. That's just it, I'd find a hard to see Connery as a poet.

...Quoting from this link:http://www.allstarz....nnery/facts.htm
"He's an enthusiastic poet, although he never allows anyone to see his work."

#76 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 05:04 PM

Simon: I don't imagine he would ever be allowed back in the camp due to is unbowing tendency to not follow the line.

...Its probably more accurate to say that he has an unbowing tendency "to not follow the line" from people he feels are incompetent. He's made pictures for 40 + years -- enough time to get a sense of competent or incompetent directors, etc. Put another way, I doubt he got into LXG style verbal brawls with Hitchcock, Spielberg, Zinneman or Lumet.

Blox

#77 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Blox
He's made pictures for 40 + years -- enough time to get a sense of competent or incompetent directors, etc.  Put another way, I doubt he got into LXG style verbal brawls with Hitchcock, Spielberg, Zinneman or Lumet.  

Well, one would assume it was enough time to gain that sense. So why commit to a film with a 37-8 year old director with just three films to his credit.

If his sands of time are running out, why not just go for the films with associated more experienced directors than placing himself at risk with chancier affairs?

#78 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 04:24 AM

Quoting Connery: "I've stayed friends with most directors I've worked with, and I never have a problem with any other actors, unless they're [censored]s." :: "My own guide is always what I find interesting. If it's something that makes me think: 'I'd like to see this' then that's the yardstick I apply. Obviously that doesn't satisfy everybody:: "I have no shortage of material or offers, it's just a case of what you select to do. But I think it's realistic that my chances of playing Romeo are now over."

#79 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 12:52 PM

Fine, then he should be more relaxed about people's abilities.

He can't have it both ways.

#80 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 12:24 AM

http://www.news.scot...m?id=1272922002

"The two clashed almost daily, confided one co-star, who asked not to be identified. "They both have really powerful personalities. Sean has strong feelings for how he wants things to be. He wants to get the shoot done.

"Stephen hasn