This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Am I the only Bond fan who is sick of Connery's whining?

79 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 09 December 2001 - 04:48 AM

Connery always seems to be slagging Bond. It's as if he thinks he is some brilliant actor and the Bond movies he starred in were beneath him.

I'd just like to know are the rest of you sick of Connery's whining? I know I am.

I know one should not believe everything one reads and I only hope I have misunderstood Connery.

#2 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 11:19 PM

macca_bond (09 Dec, 2001 05:21 a.m.):
..And the guy who designed the set for Outland had worked on Thunderball!!

That was Ken Adams wasn't it?

#3 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 03:15 AM

I think a lot of actors and such resent and turn their backs on what makes them a success, whether it's from being sterotyped or hounded by the press...it's a shame, but is Connery just tired of talking about an old subject or does he think it's beneath him?
He's much like William Shatner was, but eventually he came back to embrace Star Trek in his older years and David Duchovny tries to break away from the X-Files....it's just too bad that in their attempts to flex their careers they have to seem like they are above the material that made them famous, while a lot of smaller, less known actors are openly appreciative of what gave them their start....just look at who does the commentaries on DVDs, we get villians, costars, etc....but you never get the big man to talk about the work, they just never have the time for it......
it's refreshing when an actor like patrick stewart, so identified with his trek role is able to freely love and accept the part while still moving on to take other genre roles like in x-men, he's done commentaries for trek episodes even....it made him big and even though he's a busy man, he doesn't appear to resent his work, he may tire of talking about it, but he doesn't resent it...

#4 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 03:20 PM

rafterman (25 Jan, 2002 03:15 a.m.):
He's much like William Shatner was, but eventually he came back to embrace Star Trek in his older years and David Duchovny tries to break away from the X-Files....it's just too bad that in their attempts to flex their careers they have to seem like they are above the material that made them famous, while a lot of smaller, less known actors are openly appreciative of what gave them their start.......

When an actor has become so utterly identifiable with just the one (recurring) part that has given them the fame and fortune, and the time has come for them to attempt to branch out into other areas, sometimes the efforts expended in trying to create that break, especially when facing journalists, become one huge uphill struggle. Faced with this hurdle, if it begins to appear as though the previous material was beneath them then, to achieve their ends, so be it.

It happens all the time. At the time of Moore's reign as Bond, he was the best thing since the invention of the fridge magnet. As soon as Dalton stepped in, grief, all the publicists were running to the journos saying, "look, when he shoots a gun, he doesn't Blink".

Dalton was new, Moore was history.

Everyone has to pull out all stops to focus on the new.

So I don't think Connery has ever whined about Bond per se. Certainly the endless questions can upset him, I think they would anyone. I think the only negativity has been as a result of alledged short changing - and that's something we know nothing about.

#5 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 09 December 2001 - 05:05 AM

Do you have some examples. I've read of him saying he thought the series lost its way for a while with "all the space stuff" (YOLT, DAF, MR), but I've heard and read favorable comments from him as well.

I've read of him saying that he hates his Bond portrayal and would rather watch any of the other Bonds in action except him.

I don't think he feels the films are beneath him, he's done worse stuff than the Bonds.

#6 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 01:39 AM

I would actually have to say that a lot of the stuff I have read about Connery's attitude to Bond is contradictory.

#7 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 11:27 AM

Dr. Tynan (29 Jan, 2002 01:39 a.m.):
I would actually have to say that a lot of the stuff I have read about Connery's attitude to Bond is contradictory.

Is this surprising over a four decade timespan?

#8 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 06:56 PM

I was only making the point that it is actually hard to figure out just how Connery feels about Bond. Sometimes I get the feeling he despises it, other times I get the feeling he likes it.

Please don't misunderstand me, White Persian, I didn't start this topic to antagonize anyone. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling I have upset a few people, but I'm only stating how I feel.

Sorry if I have offended anyone.

#9 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 12:11 PM

No offence taken, Dr T.
Perhaps the word whining might have been a bit provocative... Connery's more of a growler than a whiner, but it's a fair topic.
Connery certainly got heartily sick of Bond - or rather the hoopla that surrounded it - in the mid 60s. He also found the increased emphasis on gadgets and stunts boring as an actor (and frankly it showed in his performance in YOLT).
He also had a dispute over his share of the profits with EON.
All this coloured his attitude.

The making of NSNA was also not a happy experience for him.

The insistence of the press to keep harping on Bond at the expense of his current work also rankled. I suspect some elements of the press deliberately bring Bond up hoping for a bad reaction so they can get a good story.
Nevertheless, he's given a couple of decent interviews about Bond over the last decade or so, and had kind remarks about both Dalton and Brosnan.

I also read about someone travelling in a lift wth him and having the nerve to ask Connery to do the "Bond...James Bond" line for him. From some of the publicity you'd expect Connery to explode.
He didn't. He grinned, said the line and got out of the lift leaving one very happy fan. I can't vouch for the truth of the story, but I'd like to think it's true.

#10 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 06:32 PM

No probs.

Actually to be fair to Connery, I think I once read that he said the following:

"I never disliked Bond as some have thought, it's just that when one is a trained actor, it's natural to seek other roles."

Also he said this, I think (a long time after he left Bond)

"I care for Bond and what happens to him, you cannot be connected with a character for that long and not have an interest. All the Bond movies had their good points."

I often wonder if some of those negative quotes I have read are things that he has said when he is feeling angry and perhaps he maybe regrets saying them. That could be the case.

#11 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 09:13 PM

In my view, no one should be afraid to state their opinion. But no one should do it in a way that is insulting to other people. With the first post, I was not setting out to be offensive to anyone here, but I admit, it probably looks a bit aggressive (I was a bit drunk), but, as I said before, I wasn't setting out to be offensive to anyone here.

#12 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 09:33 PM

Dr. Tynan (04 Feb, 2002 09:13 p.m.):(edited)
...With the first post, I was not setting out to be offensive to anyone here, but I admit, it probably looks a bit aggressive (I was a bit drunk)...

In that case, I'm surprised your first post didn't read more like this:

Doc TiNNna n (3 in the friggin morNIng):
CONNERY PSSES ME OFF!!!!!!

LICENCE TO KIL IS tHE BEST #%$#% MOVIE EVER MADE, aNd I'Ll kik the scronny a$$ of anyy &*$@& thAtsays it ain't...

i lOve my finger. WHAT THE HE&& IS THAT?!?!? Timmohty DAlton wAs koool...but connery............................................... sorry, NO I Wasnt Sleeping. I Love ThaT Movie LICENCE TO...something or another. TeLL me Y U doesnt like it cuz I wanna FITE> gwwwwwrtertreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Seriously, if you want to say you hate Cubby Broccoli go ahead, it shouldn't offend any one. (Of course, that doesn't mean anyone's going to agree with you, but then again you never know.)

#13 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 09:49 PM

Sorry to go on.

I sometimes think that Bond-haters ( I'm thinking of the ones that think Bond is :), boring or for "Geeks" would use Connery's attitude to Bond as a "stick to beat Bond with." That's another thing that worries me about his attitude to Bond.

"Ha Ha see, even Connery doesn't like Bond." (The trouble is, the people who feel this way are probably talking b*lls).

Connery would probably be very happy to talk about Bond with an ordinary member of the public like one of us. Like I said before what I have read about his attitude to Bond is contradictory and I know people's attitude to things can change over a long period. However, the quotes I have read that contradict eachother may not necessarily have been made a long time after eachother. I get the feeling it depends what mood Connery is in.

#14 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 06:16 PM

Dr. Tynan (04 Feb, 2002 09:49 p.m.):
However, the quotes I have read that contradict eachother may not necessarily have been made a long time after eachother. I get the feeling it depends what mood Connery is in.

Connery is famous for not suffering fools gladly.
If he's asked a stupid question about Bond by the press, you're likely to get a fairly abrupt reply.
On the other hand, a thoughtful and intelligent question is likely to get a more considered and sympathetic treatment.
But I do think thast you're right and his attitude is ambivalent, which, considering that being Bond has had both a positive and negative effect on his life and career, is , I guess, understandable.

#15 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 11:02 PM

I think a lot of people have misunderstood me.

I didn't start this thread to antagonize or be rude to any of the members of the forum. Nor was I referring to the fact that Connery hates the way he gets asked questions about Bond by reporters and others ALL the time (I can understand him not liking that).

I may be wrong, but it just seems like Connery has a very hostile and arrogant attitude towards Bond and I wish he didn't. That's what I'm getting at.

It's kinda "disheartening" (you might say) when the first movie James Bond, doesn't like Bond, which is how it seems.

#16 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 01:30 PM

I think Connery is really all right with Bond really. I didn't whine that much lately, but then not many journalist dare to venture on the subject lately, but I feel that he has finally been able to put that to rest.

Let's not forget that his works immediately after his Bond appearances were generally poor, and he might feel that he had been typecasted.

#17 Macca

Macca

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 December 2001 - 05:21 AM

I don't think he feels the films are beneath him, he's done worse stuff than the Bonds.[/quote]

Yeah, like "Entrapment" - that was just lousy!! I found it odd that Connery should make 'Outland' (a pretty cool sci-fi) just after the release of Moonraker.. And the guy who designed the set for Outland had worked on Thunderball!!

#18 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 09 December 2001 - 05:52 AM

Tynan (09 Dec, 2001 04:48 a.m.):
Connery always seems to be slagging Bond.  It's as if he thinks he is some brilliant actor and the Bond movies he starred in were beneath him.

I'd just like to know are the rest of you sick of Connery's whining? I know I am.

I know one should not believe everything one reads and I only hope I have misunderstood Connery.

There was a period where Connery didn't like Bond. However within the past five or ten years Connery's relationship with Bond has warmed up and he has begun to embrace it.

If people don't want to hear Connery complain about a topic that is a known "fly in his ointment" then I suggest people stop asking him about it.

#19 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 December 2001 - 06:27 AM

An excellent point mccartney007! After so long Connery must be so sick of hearing questions about Bond. If he was doing an interview with a James Bond website or something, you'd expect it. But how many interviews have you read where it doesn't mention Bond? The poor guy must be bombarded with it all the time.

#20 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 09 December 2001 - 07:10 AM

Whenever Connery is being interviewed it's usually about his latest release. So it would be refreshing if Bond does not come into it at all for once.

"Entrapment is in cinemas now, so tell us about your time as Bond".

Give the man a break!

#21 DJ

DJ

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 December 2001 - 11:09 PM

I agree with Blofeld, people always relate Bond to Connery and Connery to Bond. Connery has done many films since Bond, most memorably for me being "The Rock" and he was a voiceover in the movie "Dragonheart". Bond has had 3 different actors since him, Lazenby interrupted the flow, so people should think Bond, Brosnan and Connery, "Entrapment" or "The Rock".

#22 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 02:56 AM

I have heard that all reporters that are granted an interview with Connery are told by his agent that Mister Connery will, at the point he does not like the line of questioning, say he has a sour throat and beg out of the interview. They are also warned that questions about James Bond are almost guaranteed to cause one of Connery's sour throats.

Why reporters even ask him questions about Bond is beyond me. The man wants the subject to be left alone and if reporters can't respect that they shouldn't complain.

Connery makes it perfectly clear, don't talk about Bond.

#23 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 03:54 AM

We gotta remember that if Connery is doing an interview and its to promote a new film, then hes got a responsibility to talk about that film as much as possible, you can't blame him for not wanting to answer Bond questions for the millionth time.

What I'd like to see is one 'Lifetime of Connery' interview sort of thing, he can answer all teh Bond related questions, all the stories during his time as Bond and all that for the last time and then he can say "This is my last Bond related interview, so ask as many questions as you want", 1 - It could be used for docos and whatever, 2 - I know it would be something I would love to see, I mean, its the interview we'd all like to see I think and 3 - it would be an ideal thing for him, so everyone wins. :)

#24 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 06:53 PM

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I think most James Bond fans don't like to see or hear Sean Connery being criticized.

I was not just writing about how Connery behaves during Press interviews. In fact, I'm not even sure if that entered my head at all.

I did not know that the reason Connery dislikes answering questions about Bond is because he is fed up doing so. I thought it was because he just does not like Bond, full stop.

#25 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 07:26 PM

Tynan (12 Dec, 2001 06:53 p.m.):(edited)
I'm sorry if I offended anyone...

No offence was taken. I think all Bond fans know what you are saying. Connery does whine, but it's a matter of understanding Connery's point of view. He has been hounded with questions about Bond since Goldfinger and the Japanese press were so bad during the filming of You Only Live Twice that it was one of the major causes for him quitting the series. (The Japanese press insisted on calling him James Bond instead of Sean Connery.)

With all of this in mind, I've always been amazed at how fantastically Brosnan handles the subject of 007 in interviews; afterall, he has been hounded by the press about Bond for over fifteen years.

#26 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 10:39 PM

No problem Mister Asterix. Thanks. I can understand Connery being tired of the Press harassing him.

I know the Japanese Press incident you are referring to (I read it in Steve Rubins "The Complete James Bond Movie Encyclopaedia").

Japanese reporter on seeing Connery dressed in (what he considers) scruffy attire "Is this how James Bond dresses"

Connery "I'm not James Bond, I'm Sean Connery and I like to dress comfortably, except on formal occasions"

And let us not forget the camera in the toilet cubicle.

#27 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 02:32 AM

Very true, Dr. Tynan. If you want a good example of how Connery reacted to that sort of thing, you should read his biography, "Great Scot," although the author's name has escaped from my mind.

#28 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 11:36 PM

All I've heard of Connery's 'whining' is when he quit the series, one of the reasons he gave was that he was being known as Bond, and not Connery. The last straw was when a billboard had him in a tux, saying:

THIS IS JAMES BOND.

That was to combat the simultaneous release of David Niven's spoof Bond in Casino Royale.

#29 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 03:09 AM

I admit that one of the books I have read is probably a bit biased. "WHEN THE SNOW MELTS: The autobiography of Cubby Broccoli: With Donald Zec."

Some people say that if it had not been for Connery, Bond would not have taken off and that people only went to see the Bond movies because of him. I find that hard to believe. Surely people would've gone to see them for the action, stunts etc as well?

#30 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 03:37 AM

The trouble is I cannot be sure that what I have read about Connery slagging Bond is not lies.

I sometimes wonder if Connery says bad things about Bond to Journalists and Authors in the heat of the moment. Perhaps when he is feeling angry about the way he was treated (allegedly) by Saltzman and Broccoli.

He allegedly said this to the Sunday Telegraph magazine (regarding alleged "short changing"):

"that's why I was always fighting with them [Broccoli and Saltzman]. Unfortunately they're both dead now, or fortunately, it depends on your point of view."

"