The Mystery Of The Disappearing Living Daylights DVD

128 replies to this topic

#121 The Girl With The Golden Gun

The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Location:Deep inside my hollowed out volcano...in the South of England!

Posted 07 February 2003 - 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Scottlee

*EON (or whoever), realise that if they don't get rid of at least 1 film from the shelves, then none of the box sets will sell. Thus, they decide to hold back one of the reasonably unpopular entries in the series for a while.

hmm, maybe its me but i don't get the idea behind ur argument. surely if a boxset is incomplete, it won't be sold? personally i'm willing to go with the idea that its been held back due to the escalating political climate.

with regards to popularity, why did they choose TLD over ie. FYEO or LTK? :)

#122 WaltherPPK

WaltherPPK

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 10:37 PM

It's the damn distribution rights problem. 2002-1987=15. Unless MGM an Danjaq sign some new contract, I wouldn't expect TLD to be sold anymore. Just go find it on eBay or something.

#123 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 12:29 PM

Originally posted by The Girl With The Golden Gun

hmm, maybe its me but i don't get the idea behind ur argument. surely if a boxset is incomplete, it won't be sold? personally i'm willing to go with the idea that its been held back due to the escalating political climate.

with regards to popularity, why did they choose TLD over ie. FYEO or LTK?  :)

Yeah, it really wouldn't surprise me if the secret reason behind holding the movie back is the fact that Osama bin Laden appears in the movie as a hero and ally of Bond. After all, when I picked up the three DVD box sets in 1999 and 2000, "The Living Daylights" was included along with all the other 007 pictures.

#124 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 08:30 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
Yeah, it really wouldn't surprise me if the secret reason behind holding the movie back is the fact that Osama bin Laden appears in the movie as a hero and ally of Bond. After all, when I picked up the three DVD box sets in 1999 and 2000, "The Living Daylights" was included along with all the other 007 pictures.

TLD was included in the 2002 box set as well.

Interesting how this subject comes up from time to time in this never disappearing thread. Okay, it might be a secret reason, but only a minor one. The main reason is that distribution rights thing, with the Afghanistan aspect being a minor cause not to push the efforts to re-release it to hard at this time. And if the'd really wanted to get rid of one film (like scottlee says), they would have chosen LTK.

But it's clear right now: as it was speculated in this thread weeks ago, despite all clearification efforts, the Afghanistan story became a part of the Bond mythos, kind of an urban legend that even might make its way to the quiz shows of the world. Just check out the prices that people are willing to pay for TLD at Ebay: it is still up to 100 Euros! Some people might want to kick their own *** when the movie is back in shops for 13,99.

Personally I think that this is all nonsense, but on the other hand: you can get every movie by Stanley Kubrick on DVD, but not "Dr. Strangelove". Strange, isn't it?

#125 The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 12:47 PM

Originally posted by stromberg

Personally I think that this is all nonsense, but on the other hand: you can get every movie by Stanley Kubrick on DVD, but not "Dr. Strangelove". Strange, isn't it?

really? is that a recent thing? cos b4 xmas my film studies lecturer brought in her kubrick DVD collection which included "strangelove". why can't you get it anymore?

#126 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 04:16 PM

Originally posted by The Girl With The Golden Gun
really? is that a recent thing? cos b4 xmas my film studies lecturer brought in her kubrick DVD collection which included "strangelove". why can't you get it anymore?

No, sorry, not really. I was just talking rubbish.

Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong places. It's definitely not in the German Kubrick collection, and I haven't been able to find it in any store around here (That sort of things happen when you live a bit abroad: I had been looking for months for "The Hustler" starring Paul Newman and couldn't find it anywhere around. Last Saturday, I incidentially found it at a shop for only 9,99 Euros). But amazon.de say that they have got it, so I guess it's still available.

#127 The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 07:06 PM

ahh. sehr gut!

#128 Panavision

Panavision

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 03:19 PM

TLD is being re-released later this year, so patience everyone :)

#129 TonicBH

TonicBH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, I was looking around at Suncoast (a US movie store usually inside malls) and I asked them. one lady said that "it's possible they'll release it sometime this summer."

That'd be a genius idea: Sit back, kick back, watch your favorite James Bond movie... :)