The Mystery Of The Disappearing Living Daylights DVD

128 replies to this topic

#61 Melango

Melango

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 08:44 PM

I know, I wouldnt be so aggreaved but TLD is actually my favourite Bond film, Dalton was the best Bond in my opinion. I probably cant afford the whole series like that but I would have bought the 2 Dalton films on Buy One Get One Free, and I cant!!! Frustration....
The whole conspiracy theory idea sounds a bit petty, we were 'treated' to the Dalton Bond's not very long ago in the UK, I assume TBS is America. I do think heads should roll if it is purely a stock control error though. Its totally daft.

#62 Dr Shatterhand

Dr Shatterhand

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 11:08 AM

:) So it's either a ****-up or conspiracy then. Either way it's a shame that new fans won't get the chance to see TLD - probably the best Bond of the 80s.

#63 5 BONDS

5 BONDS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 11:19 AM

You can buy the Living Daylights from Austrailia from EZYDVD as the tin box set or individually if that is any help.

http://www.ezydvd.co.../id=4KpLp:nS6CE

#64 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 07:09 AM

Well, finally I know why the movie disappeared. There was the casting of Sam Neill on the DVD, but Neill didn't allow the producers to make it on DVD. So MGM had to take the DVDs back. That's it.

#65 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 05:22 PM

Not sure I follow you, Tim007. You mean Sam Neill has taken action against to prevent footage of his screen test being seen? Where did you get this info? Or are you joking?

#66 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 05:44 PM

Really, Tim? How did you get this info?

#67 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 05:46 PM

Curiouser and curiouser.

Is there really another Bond movie in the world except Die Another Day? You could've fooled me at the moment. Nice to see people are still worrying about The Living Daylights.

Tell us more Tim... this thread gets more and more interesting.

#68 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Evil Doctor Cheese
Curiouser and curiouser.

Is there really another Bond movie in the world except Die Another Day? You could've fooled me at the moment. Nice to see people are still worrying about The Living Daylights.

Tell us more Tim... this thread gets more and more interesting.

There is, EDC, there is, I can tell you. Last week, I carried a nicey-nicey tin box home, containing 19 wonderful DVDs (some of us might say that there are some amongst them that are not so wonderful, but personally, I find them all to be wonderful at the moment :) ).

But that's really an interesting information, Tim. Is it this true or did you just try to get some new life into this thread? If it's true, why is it still distributed with the box?

"Questions, Questions, Questions,
flooding into the mind of the concerned
young person today..."

#69 manitou007

manitou007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 08:21 PM

http://www.amazon.co...8360350-8559844 - Uh... Amazon can have it to you in 1 - 2 days in the UK. Needless to say, it's probably 20th Century Fox Video's fault...

#70 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 09:17 PM

Originally posted by manitou007
http://www.amazon.co...8360350-8559844 - Uh... Amazon can have it to you in 1 - 2 days in the UK. Needless to say, it's probably  20th Century Fox Video's fault...

That's what we've been told before. But people keep posting that it's unavailable :).

I don't know what to believe or what to think about it any more, and you know what? I don't care, I've got my copy of TLD. But it is a fact, that it is at least unavailable in some parts of the world. For example, you can't get it in Germany, only if you are one of the lucky few who got the complete box.

I checked out your link. That's TLD, O.K.. But it's the 2001 release, and I'm not sure if you will get a copy if you order it. Try the regular search, go for "James Bond", they are all there, released November 2002, except TLD.

As above said, I don't know what to believe any more, but right now, I tend to believe that it is unavailable. But I'm easy to convince: if someone in this forum can say honestly that he bought a brand new DVD of TLD in this year's November, I'll be convinced that it's available.

#71 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 03:56 PM

I was told so by Wolfgang Thuerauf who is the President of the German James Bond Club.

[quote]Ich war ja die letzte Woche in England und dort habe ich den Grund geh

#72 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Tim007
There's a law in Great Britain which says that actors are allowed to forbid the publishing of a movie they took part in if they don't want it to be published. [Martin Shaw example]

Sounds a strange law, but wasn't the whole fuss about Shaw putting a veto on The Professionals to do with royalties he felt he was owed?

So Sam Neill's the mastermind behind this whole conspiracy?

#73 Mousey

Mousey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 07:51 PM

Yeh, in between running away from a dinosaur in a jungle with William H. Macy and Duchovny's wife.

#74 5 BONDS

5 BONDS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 08:13 PM

Does anyone know if there is a chance of getting the region 1 version of the TLD with the burned in subtitles intact because I do know it was re-released by mgm later after complaints.

On the other hand is the region 2 or 4 prints got theses subtitles.

#75 manitou007

manitou007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 10:47 PM

Quite why anyone would want to delete this film is beyond me. I mean, how can this film be construed as offensive?

Although it features mujahedeen (later Taliban) as good guys, it isn't half as offensive as Collateral Damage (both in the sense as a film and exploiting a tragedy)

#76 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 12:47 AM

MI6 is reporting that the Sam Neil footage in the making of doc IS the reason behind the delay in TLD and that when the DVD is reissued the footage will be removed. Glad I have a copy of the old one.

#77 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 12:50 AM

Originally posted by 5 BONDS
Does anyone know if there is a chance of getting the region 1 version of the TLD with the burned in subtitles intact because I do know it was re-released by mgm later after complaints.

I got my corrected copy direct from MGM. I just mailed in my old one and they sent me the new one. I did this with my Octopussy and NSNA discs as wel. But I would hold onto any TLD dvd now, because any new copy will, aparently, have the Sam Neil screen test footage removed.

#78 daman3755

daman3755

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 01:06 AM

[quote]Originally posted by zencat
I remember when 3 of my favorite Bond websites all went down for

#79 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 02:32 AM

Well, thanks for your support, Jerrold, but it turns out I was dead wrong. The TLD was held back because Sam Neil didn't approve the use of the screen test footage in the making of doc and they have to remove it. So...I have egg on my face, but it was a good theroy.

#80 5 BONDS

5 BONDS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 04:20 PM

If you already own TLD from previous release just count yourselves lucky as now the film is recalled and all the screen tests will be omitted before it is released again.

It is a shame and may be hard to get hold of now.

Thankfully I already own the original relaese.

Here is a thread from MI6.

At first it looked like a simple marketing slip, but then upon further inspection it became more sinister - where had "The Living Daylights" DVD gone? After several online retailers chased up the seemingly faux pas, many issued a "temporarily unavailable" notice and could not confirm the film's certificate.

MGM re-released the 007 special edition DVD series to coincide with the 40th anniversary, but Bond's 15th adventure was nowhere to be seen.

Missing from the Region 2 "buy Bond get Bond free" deal, unavailable as a single film, and missing from the first set released in the USA, fans turned to the Region 2 boxset featuring all 19 DVDs for their Timothy Dalton fix.

MGM have now removed that final option too, as all DVD boxsets have been recalled from online retailers and high-street shops.

The Name's Neill, Sam Neill

Industry insiders claim they can confirm the rumours about the disc's unavailability.

The DVD documentary "Inside The Living Daylights" features a number of screen-tests for potential Bond's during the period before Timothy Dalton signed to take over from the retiring Roger Moore.

It is alleged by our sources that Sam Neill has objected to the footage being used on the disc as his permission was not sought - and he has not been paid any royalties.

Another source close to the debacle backed this up when they told us "MGM have pulled the discs as there is material on the DVD which they do not own sole copyright to".

Sealed copies of the DVDs, which could be bought for

#81 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 04:38 PM

Please now tell us that all of Licence to Kill is an amatuerish screen-test for Talisa Soto and she wants to stop its distribution.

Suits me.

#82 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 December 2002 - 10:11 PM

People here in Germany are going totally crazy about that movie.

Minutes ago someone sold the "old" version at ebay for over

#83 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 08 December 2002 - 10:39 PM

So there's the 'wave' theory, the Sam Neil theory, or the conspiracy theory.

Hmm.

I'll go with conspiracy theory. It's the same reason why Bond never fought any American generals (or Presidents) trying to start WWIII.

But why not remove LTK also? Aside from pleasing both Jim and Xenobia (a once in a lifetime chance), it would possibly erase the fact that there is a drug problem in America.

#84 jmafilms1981

jmafilms1981

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 08:35 PM

The reason the DVD isn't available is because Sam Neil who tried out for 007 has screentest footage on the disc that was not authorized! Eon and Danjaq own the footage but they never cleared the use with Neil or SAG. MGM will release TLD on DVD eventually after they edit the documentary on the disc to not include the Sam Neil screentest footage.

#85 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 11:32 PM

No. I'm pretty sure this is a top-notch American conspiracy.

#86 manitou007

manitou007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 01:12 PM

Thanks to Neill, I have to regularly check the local 2nd hand DVD shop to complete the gap in my collection. They always seem to have a lot of Bond DVDs, of all editions. It's only a matter of time before TLD makes an appearance there...

Every time I see the Bond gunbarrel, I'm going to imagine Sam Neill being the one aiming the gun at Bond. BANG! Take that, Neill!

#87 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 03:22 AM

Just found this thread, and now I have to check and see whether TLD is off the shelves here in Oz. I know its in the boxed set, but not sure about individually. One of the TV stations here in Sydney is currently rerunning the Bond films, but since the running order is all over the place it's hard to tell if they're dodging LTK.
Zencat, I think you could well be right. Considering the high profile Bond has at present with the 40th anniversary, Bond retrospectives etc. I can well imagine some nervous Nellie at MGM thinking "Gee, do we want to draw attention to an entry in which Afghani Muslim rebels armed to the teeth and blowing things up are the goodies?"

#88 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 10:17 PM

I haven't seen it in Oz, thank god I looked. But I'm going to look harder damnit, next stop is second hand shops.

#89 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 10:30 PM

Glad I have the old DVD release of TLD from 2000...

Sam Neil needs to get a life. I don't see James Brolin pushing for more cash for his inclusion in the Octopussy DVD documentary.

#90 manitou007

manitou007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 06:40 PM

Does anyone know when the The Living Daylights will make a reappearance on DVD? It seems that the film has decided to go into hiding, and the only ways of getting my hands on it are either waiting for it to appear in a local second hand DVD shop in which just about every single film ever made appears (they haven't had TLD yet though) or buy it off cads who are selling it for