This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

The Living Daylights is so good its scary!

31 replies to this topic

#1 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 05:47 PM

Hey gang,

I know I'm preaching to the choir here in the Dalton forum - but I just got out my Living Daylights DVD and rewatched it.

Wow.

The introduction of Dalton as Bond is spectactular! The action pose, the wind blowing in his hair - that is how you introduce a hero.

As Rolling Stone magazine said - it's like he was genetically engineered for the role.

His voice is so commanding too. I love when he gets angry or scolds Kara.

Speaking of which - I think the female leads in Dalton's two films were not up to the ones in Sean's, George's, Roger's or Pierce's best films.

While they are attractive - they just don't measure up to the others. While I'm not that wild about MGM going after the flavor of the month (Terri Hatcher, Denise Richards, Halle Berry) - those actresses do have followings that have obviously helped out the box office.

My second favorite scene from Daylights is the Aston Martin chase. I bought Dalton's leather jacket from the scene at the Christies auction last year.

With all due respect to Mr Brosnan and his 4 films (which I have enjoyed) - The Living Daylights to me was the most recent "great" James Bond film.

#2 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 12:06 AM

I always go back & forth on this one, but I think I like License to Kill better...Lupe? Sanchez? That iguana? So good

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 03:15 AM

I pulled out Daylights the other night too, and found myself spending a lot of time looking at various scenes. It's a good example of the series not going too over-the-top, while still carrying off top-notch action scenes with a lot of spy intrigue.

The villains are weak, though. Whitaker is hardly any threat as everything he does is behind the scenes. As for Koskov, he was too goofy to be a threat. I saw Jerone Krabbe in a movie as another villain before Daylights came out in which he was vicious and hoped he'd have come off more like that. Necros, however, is one of the better henchmen.

I've also gotta' agree with Doublenoughtspy about the weakness of the Dalton women. I am amazed to see so many people on the forum who like Kara so much. I find her the least attractive Bond girl and more Stacy Sutton than some of the other more independent Bond women the series had seen up to that point. Then again, she is an innocent cellist, not an action woman, although she comes off well during the action in Afghanistan.

As for Talisa Soto, the less said the better, although Carey Lowell wasn't bad.

#4 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 07:05 AM

I know people criticize TLD and FYEO for not having "strong villains." However, that's the POINT - in both films there's not just one singular evil-doer that everyone knows is evil from the start. They were trying to go for more of an honest spy-thriller approach, with lots of intrigue and surprises. For me, it worked.

#5 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Felix's lighter
I know people criticize TLD and FYEO for not having "strong villains." However, that's the POINT - in both films there's not just one singular evil-doer that everyone knows is evil from the start. They were trying to go for more of an honest spy-thriller approach, with lots of intrigue and surprises. For me, it worked.

The Living Daylights, first Bond I saw in the cinema, I don't go to watch many films twice, I did with DAD, but back then I went to watch TLD three times, because I bloody loved it. And every now and again, I hungre to watch it again, I just love that opening sequence, and the way Bond is introduced. If I was ever president or a huge mega star, I would wear and make a TLD t shirt and say heil Dalton, because I feel he made 2 of the best films in the series, and its not perhaps known back then, but Pierce's movies, have just shown how great Dalton was, and new era of Bond fans, can watch these films for the first time, and ignore all the press and box office numbers people sometimes use to compare films, rubbish, judge the quality of the film, and TLD deserves easily to be in any Bond fans top 10, but for me its joint first with LTK.

#6 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 06:33 AM

i really enjoy TLD as well. great storyline, great characters, and even dalton gives a good performance. how they went from such a great film and made LTK i'll never know. it's a shame they went too far with LTK, cos i often forget that Dalton did make a great Bond film, but sadly he made a terrible one as well.

#7 chronicliar

chronicliar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 06:47 AM

You are absolutly correct! TLD was the last great film of the series! Check out my ranking to see just how good I think the film is....
AGENT JAMES BOND RANKING OF FILMS

#8 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 07:32 AM

I think that the problem with Dalton's two Bond women is that there is little chemistry between them and Dalton. I don't know if when the producer's cast the female lead how much they consider the chemistry. From what I have read, it seems more like each character is individually cast based more on how the character is perceived. Hollywood tends to understand the importance of chemistry a little more. Dalton's Bond and Kara seem more like an older brother/younger sister, which of course is pretty gross considering the romance. A lot of that comes from the script. Dalton and Lowell try hard but their relationship seems forced, particularly on the boat in Florida. Sort of like a moment when the script said, "okay, now you two have sex."

Examples of good chemistry include Connery and Andress or Moore and Adams and most recently Brosnan and Berry. The ability of having good chemistry with the ladies is one of the important aspects of being a successful Bond.

#9 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 04:27 PM

Dalton was as boring as whale**** when it came to James Bond. He had no chemistry with his leading ladies, had no charisma in the part, had no charm, was a pansy in the fight scenes, and never should have been given the part. However, after A View To A Kill, I feel the producers overreacted to the criticism about Roger Moore, and wanted to go way in the other direction. They shoulda waited for Pierce.

#10 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 05:28 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Dalton was as boring as whale**** when it came to James Bond.  He had no chemistry with his leading ladies, had no charisma in the part, had no charm, was a pansy in the fight scenes, and never should have been given the part.  However, after A View To A Kill, I feel the producers overreacted to the criticism about Roger Moore, and wanted to go way in the other direction.  They shoulda waited for Pierce.

Even if you wanted it, Pierce commented in 1995, he didn't look the part in 1987, to young, maybe not his age, but Pierce was aging very well, so his early 30s, he could pass for someone in his 20s. I'm glad it worked out the way it did, Pierce got to play Bond in his prime 95-present, and Dalton in his prime in 87-89.

#11 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Felix's lighter

My thing with villains like that is they are just bland and just because they are surpring doesn't make them more interesting. We never got to see Dr. No until later on and that worked. We knew little about Grant other than he was silent and deadly and that worked. He was a menacing presence even if we knew about him.

Did anybody seriously feel threatened by Kristatos? He's shifty, he's working for the Russians, he was a double-agent in WWII. That's fine for a supporting bad guy, but gives no edge to a main villain. If that expense adds to the realism, I'd prefer the other approach.

However, Sanchez is a character ripped from the headlines. He looked evil and was vicious. I felt threatened by him. He had "street credibility" so to speak. We never find much about Whitaker other than he was kicked out of West Point for cheating and worked as a mercenary. He doesn't even leave his compound.

#12 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 10:22 PM

I agree with you guys here, whenever I watch or think about TLD, I like it even more. It is truely a great film, one of the series best, and one of my all-time favourites. Everything about it is great, and the thing is, its so watchable as well. The only downside, however, seems to be the bad acting in Georgi Koskov. Ok, he was pretty good when he greets Bond on the plane, but otherwise, he mis really bad. I couldn't see him being a General.

#13 MattCasey009

MattCasey009

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 04:29 AM

chronicaller, your list of BOnd movies from favorite to least is absolutely paposterous. I cant believe it, but no im here to embrace Dalton. I think he is the best Bond, sorry Bond gods if I have affended you for not saying the almighty Connery, but really Dalton is the best Bond because of his professionalism and the way he portrayed Bond was terrific. Connery was great too, but I like Dalton better.

#14 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 05:31 PM

TLD is very good. The only thing it lacks as mentioned above is the great villian and yes Kara was, well not very attractive.

Other than that it is a masterpiece as far as Bond movies go. If you watch TLD now after the last 3 Brosnan movies you almost want to cry when you see how far the series has fallen.

Also when you see Dalton in TLD you really feel sorry for Brosnan because in all honesty Brosnan just can not be as good as Dalton despite his efforts.

TLD I would say should be considered a top 3 Bond film of the 80's and 90's, and 2000's includind DAD. The only other Bond's of the last 3 decades that are in its class are FYEO and GE.

So a top 3 Bond over the last 3 decades is how I would rank TLD.

#15 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 06:47 PM

I like alot of the comments on LTD, but I like to say that Kara, although there's loads of great Bond girls, Kara comes across exactly who she is, there's a element of realism for the story, the girl with the cello, who koscov uses, she had to be someone who wasn't so into the Bond world, and action and spy stuff, I think in aston martin, just before Bond says I have a few optional extras installed, Kara before says what is this, a stranger, until the very end when she uses the jeep to get to the plane, good progression into the spy world. While there have been great Bond girls yes, I think TLD having Kara as the main women, gives her plenty of time to become a fully fleshed out character, I like that innocence about her, she could be a music instructor teacher you know, the girl next door feel, and given the Bond girls we've had, that was refreshing, and it was unigue, there's no rule in that Bond has to meet a certain amount of women in a film anyway, his missions may not always allow that, so it was good to see that in TLD.

#16 Mak Man

Mak Man

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 07:35 PM

Let me just say that TLD was a great movie, and I found myself watching that one over and over again. The story was well done and the villains were both made either strong or cunning. Bond had his hands full with the both of them. Pushkin reminded me of Zukovsky from GE and TWINE, and Necros reminded me of Grant from FRWL. This movie was probably one of Daulton's finer movies and although people say that his performance in License To Kill sucked and he had no emotion, that was the role he was suppose to play. He was trying to avenge the death of Della and the brutal attack on Felix Lighter. He was angry for the most part. The only fault with Daulton is that he isn't handsome like the others playing the role.

Mak.

#17 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 01:39 AM

Originally posted by SeanValen00V
I like alot of the comments on LTD, but I like to say that Kara, although there's loads of great Bond girls, Kara comes across exactly who she is, there's a element of realism for the story, the girl with the cello, who koscov uses, she had to be someone who wasn't so into the Bond world, and action and spy stuff

Exactly. Kara's thrust into this world of mistrust and manipulation(here baby, during the intemission I want you to take this rifle and point it at me when I run by...) soon after, some "dashing" dark-haired man with an English accent, takes me by the hand to find her Georgi.

Granted, we all want a Bond girl who can kick *** as well as shake her's in today's cinema. However, she was innocent but not weak. You can say she's a fore-runner to Natalya in GE.

If you want an even better example, check out Franke Potente in "The Bourne Identity." Her reaction to the fight scene in the Paris apartment is priceless & sells the film.

#18 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 04:54 AM

It's a fantastic film.

#19 Paco

Paco

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 05:00 AM

Both Movie LTK and TLD I watch all the time....Too Hard to chose.

#20 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 12:30 AM

TLD was right up there with OHMSS, Thunderball, LTK, and the other good ones. As one can see, I liked Koskov as the rather bumbling villain (strange considering Baker's role a few films later) and the monogamy worked well. I think that DAD is a case of 'sticking two women in there because it's part of the formula' thank God they got just one woman in this one--even if it was due to AIDS.

#21 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 02:53 PM

TLD is fantastic, and thats that

#22 bribond

bribond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 03:09 PM

The Living Daylights is a terrific Bond film, one of the best. I like Licence to Kill a little better (It's second after OHMSS and before TWINE) but The Living Daylights is either 4th or 5th. Dalton hits the ground running in his interpretation and I liked that Kara was played so real. For that reason, I think she's a very good Bond girl. The plot is a bit complex and Koskov and Whittaker are not among the better Bond villains but Necros makes a very strong impression. It's also a film that trusts itself in its storytelling, ala TWINE and is less about providing "Bond moments" than some of the Brosnan's have been. That having been said there are a number of scenes that make quite an impact...Bond's interrogation of Pushkin, Bond's reaction to Saunders' death, Bond actually getting hit with the baton in the Afghan jail, the sniper scene and Bond's subsequent rearrangement of Koskov's escape plan. The Living Daylights should not be underestimated as both great entertainment and a good spy story.

#23 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 03:12 PM

I feel TLD is a hundred times better than TWINE. It is a film one cannot help getting drawn into. With TWINE I felt no empathy with any of the characters.

#24 bribond

bribond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 04:53 PM

There was a lot I liked about TWINE but that's probably the place for another thread. I felt Bond worked as a real character in that one and also liked the dynamic of the relationship with Electra. But I'll take Dalton's Bond over Brosnan's by slightly more than a hair. Sometimes I imagine the scene in TWINE where Bond first threatens and then shoots Electra in cold blood. With Brosnan, you don't know if he'll do it or not but you know he's probably capable of it. If Dalton were in the scene there would have been no doubt and Electra would not have dared to challenge him not to shoot her.

"You wouldn't kill me, you'd miss me" "I never miss!"

#25 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 06:37 PM

If we want to compare TLD to LTK or OHMSS I can go there, although I like OHMSS better and LTK less.

But TWINE? I agree TLD is far better than TWINE.

TWINE, I don't know, I was really liking it until the Richards character. She just ruined it for me. The movie may have been the best Bond ever if her character did not exist.

With her character it got difficult to watch.

#26 bribond

bribond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 02:43 PM

That's a good point, TLD didn't have a character as stupid as Christmas Jones, or as ineptly played. She does bring the movie down a bit but her part is so underwritten in that she's often just standing there not really having much effect on things. I found it hard to believe that Bond would interested in her after having been with Electra who was so much more full as a character. But even long after Christmas came on the scene the key torture scene in TWINE brought the drama back to Electra and Bond wisely literally pulled Christmas off the scene and made you forget about her.

With regard to TLD versus LTK, I think TLD may have had a better spy story but I liked the personal angle and the tough feel of LTK more. I also think Sanchez is by far one of the best villains, and most fully drawn.

#27 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 03:12 PM

TLD is an enjoyable movie.

Dalton is a bit weak in the role but Glenn gives us his best direction.

By the way, anybody seen "Carry On Spying" made in 1964 where a villian dressed as a milkman infiltrates a top secret base and blows it up?

#28 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 04:03 PM

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS is one of those Bond films I admire more than like.

It was sorely needed at a point when the series had become a joke. Undeniably, it's one of the most down-to-earth and adult Bond outings ever. Dalton is good (although he doesn't, IMHO, take possession of the Bond role first time out), Maryam d'Abo excellent (again, IMHO), and there are some great action scenes and stunts.

There are, however, are few serious problems.

The story is overcomplicated and uninvolving. It's hard to care about what schemes are being hatched, who is doublecrossing whom, and what exactly it is that's at stake for those involved. Call me a dummy, but having watched TLD several times over the years I'm still puzzled as to what it's all about. A Death to Spies directive? A Russian general's personal ambition? Drug-running? Arms dealing? LTD succeeds in painting a murky world of espionage, but it has just too many messy plot strands. It seems to be a handful of McGuffins sandwiched together.

More seriously - for one doesn't really expect a Bond movie plot to make sense - the villains are unthreatening. Koskov and Whitaker are buffoons. And what can you say about a Bond picture in which the main bad guy is slapped into handcuffs at the end and dragged off with a silly, surprised look on his face like a pantomime villain getting his comeuppance? I wanted to see Dalton "make strawberry jam" of Koskov!

Another problem is pacing. Koskov's defection seems to take forever, and the battle between the Russians and Afghans goes on far too long. Bond disappears for an age shortly after Koskov is smuggled to the West and doesn't seem fully involved in the action until much later. For too much of the film, he reacts to incidents rather than incites them. TLD moves far too slowly and deliberately.

Other annoyances: Barry's final Bond score is dull and overbearing. a-Ha's song and the opening credits sequence are weak and now very dated, screaming the 1980s. For Felix Leiter, they seem to have picked some random bloke off the street and not bothered to tell him or Dalton that the pair are supposed to be old friends.

There are many good things about TLD, but for me it lacks the zing of a classic Bond film. It's aged a lot worse than the superior LICENCE TO KILL, in which Dalton found his feet as 007.

#29 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 06:49 PM

I feel the need to step in as Founder and Grand Master of "The Dalton Group" and give my opinion on a wonderful film.

It IS great! Tim's intro is full of danger and excitement and the stunt sequences throughout the film are wonderful. I was only 6 when it came out but only realised how good Dalton and the film was after reading the Fleming novels a few years ago.

A classic Bond movie!

#30 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 06:57 PM

Well, I'd say it's definitely the second best Bond film of the 80s, after LICENCE TO KILL.

I'd also rate THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS higher than TOMORROW NEVER DIES and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH. However, GOLDENEYE and DIE ANOTHER DAY are better, IMHO.