146 replies to this topic

#61 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:31 PM

What a beggared and poorer word we live in now. Truly a fantastic gentleman. I´m at a loss for words. I´ll be in silence for the rest of the day.

#62 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:24 PM

Sorry, couldn't resist posting this. What the hell, we could all do with a wry smile. I'm sure Moore would have taken it in stride.

https://twitter.com/...035606064308224

http://dailypost.ng/...tm_campaign=nnd

#63 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:40 PM

There's a certain human charm that Sir Roger always brought to the superhuman James Bond world.

Through cinema, most kids in my generation were raised by animated Disney films. I was raised by James Bond. Hey wasn't my first James Bond. Yet, I was always drawn to his performances. I think it was because, even as a kid, I was always able to recognize the truth beyond the screen. That being that he was, in his own life beyond the silver screen tuxedo, one of the best people to grace our world. It really is a shame to see our first Bond lost being perhaps the kindest, most genuine of them all...

As a true humanitarian, family man, humble superstar, and of course, as James Bond agent 007, Roger Moore will be greatly missed. 

#64 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:51 PM

I've been preparing for this since my father died at 90 last year, but it still comes as a shock when it happens.

If ever a man deserved all the accolades and tributes pouring in, it's Sir Roger.

He looked so good in the episode of The Saint I watched last night; it took him the longest time to outlive that painting in his attic.

My favorite Bond, my role model, a champion of children's health and safety - an all-round swell geezer.

RIP, Sir Roger - it will a while before I change my avatar, but when I do it will still be an image of you.

#65 Eskyfall

Eskyfall

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:00 AM

He was, is, and always will be my favorite Bond. A great actor and a truly great man. RIP Roger Moore. You were one of the greats.

#66 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:53 AM

Very sad news. RIP. He was a true gentleman, great Bond and will be missed.

Sir Roger's Sir Roger's often hilarious replies to questions from fans on Twitter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/32118469

My favourite:-

Fan: "It's my birthday today. How about a congratulations from the best Bond ever!"

Sir Roger: "I don't think Sean's on Twitter!"

#67 RedsBaron

RedsBaron

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:54 AM

I go back and forth on my answer to the question " who is your favorite James Bond." In part, the answer depends upon my mood and what kind of 007 movie I am watching. Sir Roger may have been better suited for Simon Templar and there are certain James Bond movies that I cannot see him being that good in [I really cannot see him "Skyfall" for one example]. However, for his type of Bond movie, a "don't take it too seriously and enjoy the ride" film, nobody did it better. 

The easier question for me to answer has always been "which of the actors who played James Bond would you most like to meet?" There is no one who ever wore the tux and carried the PPK whom I would have rather met than Roger Moore. R.I.P. 

#68 AgentPB

AgentPB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:58 AM

The thing about a Roger Moore Bond flick is that they almost all are fun, a comfort to watch, even the clunkers, and that I would say can be drawn back to the unique charisma Moore brought to the role. I'll miss his wry sense of humor the most. In the pantheon of Bonds he will always be remembered.

#69 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:02 AM

Rest In Peace, Sir Roger.

#70 LJones41

LJones41

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:50 AM

Not only was he the first James Bond I had seen on screen, he was even the first Simon Templar I had seen.  I realize that his health had been bad in the past few years, but the news of his death was still something of a shock.  R.I.P. Sir Roger.

#71 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:37 AM

Sorry, couldn't resist posting this. What the hell, we could all do with a wry smile. I'm sure Moore would have taken it in stride.

https://twitter.com/...035606064308224

http://dailypost.ng/...tm_campaign=nnd

I don't doubt Roger would have thought that was funny. Hilarious mistake actually.

#72 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:47 AM

I've been avoiding the commanderbond.net all day since I heard the news knowing full well the tears would start flowing once I started reading the posts.

Helmet's cover piece is the best piece of literature I've ever read about the loss of another human being, and that's when it started.  Reading this community's thoughts kept the tears flowing, but also brought a sense of warmth over the lost of a loved one.  Because we are family when it comes to things like this.  That autograph story on twitter is the most charming thing I've ever heard an actor do.

I always thought one of the 60s Bonds would pass first, despite the evident physical aging of Sir Roger.  I had it on my bucket list to meet every Bond actor, and now that is no longer possible.  I met Richard Kiel and Lois Chiles so will have to settle for two degrees of separation.

I'm sure I would have gotten into Bond if not for Roger, but The Spy Who Loved Me was my first.  I always found it hard to accept other actors in the role ever since.  As an adult, I find his performance in For Your Eyes Only to be the most nuanced and rewarding.  We want heroes to live forever, but if he was suffering from cancer, I didn't want him to live on in pain.   There are so many words to share, and here are Roger's best from each of his Bonds:

"That's not the sort of thing a gentleman discusses." If ever there was a perfect quote to introduce Roger's James Bond ...

"Yes, well, put your clothes on, and I'll buy you an ice cream."

"I'm an early riser myself."

"Goodnight?  Goodnight.  Goodnight!" M over the phone.  "Good night, sir."

"Do you know him?"  "Not socially.  His name's Jaws.  He kills people."

"No more problems."

"Let's just say au revoir.  I have the strangest feeling we'll be meeting again."

Au revoir, Roger.

#73 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:23 AM

Very sad news!  My heart is heavy at this loss.  He seemed to be a very kind man. 

He was not only the Bond of my favorite Bond movie of all time:  "The Spy Who Loved Me"

He was also the star in my favorite TV show of all time:  "The Saint"

"It is appointed unto man to die once, and after that..."

#74 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:29 AM

EON has released a statement, so have Sean Connery, George Lazenby and Pierce Brosnan: http://www.hollywood...d-actor-1006815

#75 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:51 AM

Daniel Craig responded to the terrible news on the official Bond twitter. Is that an indication he is back?

#76 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:35 AM

Oh, dear.

Like others, I'd also given this moment some thought over the last few years, but, well, that doesn't make it any easier now. This is terribly sad, and a huge blow.

I became a Bond fan at the age of five. As a kid, I loved Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan, but Roger Moore was unquestionably the Bond closest to my heart. As 007, he was so gentlemanly and in control of every situation. He could've been beating a bunch of thugs, or escaping from them, or exchanging insults with the villain, or seducing the girl; it didn't matter: he was always --always-- resourceful, always stylish, always urbane. Always cool!

I enjoyed his films so much, that when me and my dad would play to pretend we were in a movie, I'd insist that most of the time that movie be a Bond film, and that I play Bond. But not Connery's Bond, or Brosnan's Bond. Roger's Bond! He was one of my favorite people.

Over the years, I got to watch the rest of his work. The first film I saw was Bullseye! I know it's not a very well loved movie, but what a fun romp it is! Roger and his good friend Michael Caine, having a blast on the screen, and with Roger cutting loose when disguised as the blind piano tuner! Then I saw The Man Who Wouldn't Die-- much underrated, I feel. Then The Quest, The Wild Geese, the splendid The Man Who Haunted Himself, and finally ffolkes, with Roger once again showing his untapped potential for character parts. And The Persuaders! with the late, great Tony Curtis providing a wonderful, brashly American counterpart to him.

With the passing of time, I've come to enjoy Roger's Bond in new and different ways. The very eloquent and moving post in the front page of the site puts it best: "in nearly all of his roles there was a basic humanity shining through, something that (for lack of a better word and doubtlessly betraying my naïveté here) I would like to call a ‘quantum of nobility’ – a kind of empathy and strive for the good we all would be capable of." In the specific case of Bond, when I see Roger's films nowadays, behind the humor and the tongue-in-cheek qualities, behind the stylishness, his Bond feels real, warm, humane, as if the one-liners were the defense mechanisms of a man with a dangerous and cruel profession, but who deep-down believes in fighting for the right thing and who believes things can be made right. And you can see that humanity, showing more clearly from behind the light-hearted touch of Roger, when Bond talks to Melina about revenge, or when he angrily confronts General Orlov, or when he shows his contained disgust at villains such as Scaramanga or Zorin. Roger was a damn good actor, much better than he give himself credit for.

Of course, by all accounts, Roger the human being was also terrific. His perennial humbleness was endearing, as was his gratefulness and appreciation for the good fortune he got to experience in life, and which he retributed through his UNICEF work. Wouldn't the world be better, wouldn't we get along a bit more if we all tried to be a bit more humble, a bit more grateful?

I wrote two questions to Roger through his website back in 2008. His replying to them made my day, my week, my year! It was, of course, a small thing in the large scheme of things, but I relish it to this day.

As I said, I'd given this moment some thought before, but deep down, I kind of refused to accept this possibility. I suppose I felt, like others, that Bond couldn't die. Not James Bond, and not Roger Moore! But such is life. It's very sad, and I'm still slightly in disbelief about it. I'm not a religious person, but it'd be nice to think he may now get a chance to reunite with his departed friend, the great David Niven, whom he missed so much.

I'm not sure I'll be watching a film with Roger these days; it's going to be too painful. In the meantime though, I just want to say,

Roger, my childhood (and adulthood) hero! You'll live in our hearts!

Edited by mattjoes, 24 May 2017 - 06:41 AM.

#77 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

This must be one of the most charming anecdotes about Sir Roger ever:

http://edition.cnn.c...post/index.html

#78 Onyx2626

Onyx2626

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

The Bond to watch if you had a bad day at work.

The Bond to watch on the kitchen TV, while cooking a meal to go with that bottle of wine you had no business buying.

The Bond to watch after completing 3 seasons of Breaking Bad and realizing you're satisfied.

Whatever God's joke is, he got the joke.

He carried himself a certain way - that you forget you admire - because you seldom see it.

#79 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

This quote from Roger really nails his portrayal of Bond in my opinion:

"There’s always a moment of doubt in Bond’s mind. I mean, if I save the girl, I may get killed doing it. So I always let that go through my mind and then say, ‘Oh, to hell with it, I’ve read the script. I know I’m going to live."

Moore's Bond always seemed to be in control. He was always going to save the day and win because he was James Bond, and the audience had comfort in that. That can be said of the Bond character in general, but Moore really gave his Bond a sense of superiority with his know-it-all demeanour. He was the smartest and classiest man in the room. And when his Bond was in peril, eg. being disoriented after the centrifuge incident in Moonraker, we were genuinely concerned. And if humour is used as a defence mechanism to mask our true feelings, then there's plenty of depth to Moore's Bond apart from the obvious entertainment value.

Sean Connery and Roger Moore are the two giants of the Bond franchise and they both made the cinematic character what it is today. Moore took something that was undeniably Sean's and made it his own, and for that he deserves praise. Moore made it look easy, but any old good looking male couldn't replicate what he did. Moore held down the role for seven films and defined the role for a generation. 

#80 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

I was at work pulling a 14 hour shift yesterday and only discovered the sad news when I woke up this morning.

I'm not usually at a loss for words, nor am I given to sentiment, but it is fair to say Sir Roger Moore's passing is a moment when, perhaps, time finally took one of its television and cinematic heroes.

As many on here have - starting with Helmut's obit on the front page and unravelling on the inside pages - and will reveal Sir Roger Moore meant very much to many people, millions of them in fact, as an actor, person, celebrity, charity ambassador and, for those who would and may read this forum, a family man.

I never met him or attended his stage shows, shame on me. I was never over impressed with his acting either- more shame, perhaps - which was never going to win awards. But I could never fault his enthusiasm, his ability to gauge a line of dialogue on its merit and deliver it with the appropriate mirth or seriousness it required. I've recently been watching repeats of The Persuaders on television. Sometimes he is quite remarkable playing the gentleman adventurer Brett Sinclair. Impersonating a peer of the realm, albeit a slightly raffish one, seemed to come very easily to Sir Roger and it is no surprise that he, more so than any other Bond actor, has done tireless work for UNICEF and other charities where his charm and diseffacement could open doors and minds which may previously have remained closed, exactly as his screen character does. It helped of course that he was and is phenomenally famous, but fame in itself does not make the man.

I first became aware of Roger Moore when I was taken with my brother to the Leicester Square Odeon cinema by my Mum to see Moonraker on an August afternoon in 1979. My only experiences of Bond had been Thunderball & On Her Majesty's Secret Service on Christmas or Easter television. To suddenly be confronted with a wise cracking, young looking, suave, sophisticated easy going hero was a revelation. When I began to read the original novels I, for many years, thought Roger Moore's interpretation of 007 was much more like Ian Fleming may have imagined him. Later learning that Fleming would have preferred Cary Grant or David Niven suggest I wasn't far wrong. I always preferred Connery, but Moore was my first cinema Bond - I never saw Connery on screen as 007 until 1983 - and for that I can be forever thankful.

Interestingly, I remember my first impression of Roger Moore's Bond was that he wasn't so playful. There's an awful lot of violence in Moonraker. Early on he's almost squashed to death by a G-Force machine and at the end of that hell-in-a-chair moment he looks suitable bedraggled. As Moore watches Chang vacate the control booth, you sense in his eyes that the game has just begun. I was always impressed with these small moments of insight which Sir Roger gave to his acting roles. You see them several times in the Bond saga. His performances are underrated; I'm a particular fan of his playing in The Man With The Golden Gun, which is not to everyone's taste, but for me identifies a significant shift between the old and the new style of Bond as 007 is as seriously nasty as he is cheerfully unflappable.

Of course career wise, Sir Roger wasn't just about Bond. I rather enjoyed The Persuaders. The Saint makes me chuckle too. Some of his early film roles are good and stretch his talent - e.g. The Wild Geese, Shout at the Devil, The Man Who Haunted Himself - even in his latter years he could still raise a quizzical eyebrow with the best - think, Boat Trip.

I feel as though I'm rambling and that I could write and write so I probably need to stop. In parting, perhaps I need to leave the final line to the great man himself, forever the gentleman, who titled his autobiography with a aptly given quote: "My word is my Bond."

R.I.P. Sir Roger Moore 1927 - 2017.

Christoph John aka chrisno1

Edited by chrisno1, 24 May 2017 - 11:50 AM.

#81 billy007

billy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

He was a better "fast draw" of the PPK than all the others.

He arched his eyebrow 10 years before Leonard Nimoy

His guest appearances on Alias achieved some of the shows highest ratings.

He didn't need to carry a knife because the crease in his trousers was always razor sharp.

Leisure Suits and LCD watches will always be in style.

He was more accurate with a .44 Mag  than Clint Eastwood.

He was first actor to appear in Title credits (Thanks Maurice Binder)

He cancelled his appearance at the Creation convention in LA in 1994 because Cubby was sick, and he wanted to be at Cubby's side.

He always "Kept The British End Up."

Don't mourn the passing remember the life.

#82 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

This has to be my fave of Roger's Twitter replies:

_82011609_82011608.jpg

That's so James Bond - i bet it was straight off the cuff :)

But then there's also this:

_82011613_3c568c1c-5c75-4e96-a976-eb21db

There's a real honesty to his best one liners - he was a smiling assassin in comedy terms with his sharp put downs delivered with charm.

He knew when to be sincere, as with the lovely story from a 7 year old Marc meeting him a on plane and then again 23 years later. But he also knew when (and how) to cut through the BS with an air of levity, as these two tweets demonstrate.

#83 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

Today the Guardian has a piece by Catching Bullets' author Mark O'Connell on meeting 'our' Bond, Roger Moore:

https://www.theguard...007-wedding-day

#84 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

True Moore.

#85 jorgem

jorgem

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:30 PM

Timothy Dalton is still my #1 favorite Bond actor!

Roger Moore is my #2 favorite and Sean Connery #3.

Also I was born when Timothy Dalton was Bond! (1986)

#86 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

RIP Roger Moore. My first theatrical viewing was FYEO and it remains one of my favorites. Roger was relentlessly charming as 007 and in life. Cheers mate and good Show keeping the British end up! B) 

#87 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

Some kind words from Sir Roger's successor just posted to the official 007 Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/...421721304944642

#88 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

Some kind words from Sir Roger's successor just posted to the official 007 Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/...421721304944642

Now they have all chimed in. Very touching. 

#89 jorgem

jorgem

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:42 PM

Elton John would come to his funeral and song Candle in the Wind for him. The lyrics would go like this: Goodbye Roger Moore, though I never....

#90 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:54 AM

EON has released a statement, so have Sean Connery, George Lazenby and Pierce Brosnan: http://www.hollywood...d-actor-1006815

"On Facebook, Moore's successor as Bond, Pierce Brosnan,..."