This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

3rd Dalton Script Was Already Written!!!!

39 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Vardo

Nick Vardo

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 04:50 PM

I head from a few people on this message board that there was already a 3rd dalton script written but got rid of it after LTK tanked at the box office. If anyone has any info on this script PLEASE post it on this thread.

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 04:55 PM

I don't think there was a completed script, but there was a screen treatment. You can learn more about it in an article over at 007forever.com.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 04:57 PM

By the way, here is the address to go directly to that article:

http://www.007foreve.....'s_script.htm

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 04:58 PM

It wasn't a script, it was a 20 page treatment. It was written after LTK, and legal problems with MGM, not LTKs poor box office, put the project on hold. It had no title. People like to say it was going to be called The Property of a Lady, but I've never seen anything that roots this as fact. It took place in Scotland, Japan, and Hong Kong.

The first draft of GoldenEye by Michael France was also written with Dalton in mind.

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 09:54 PM

http://forums.comman...ht=datons third

#6 jeff319

jeff319

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 08:15 AM

I just read the details... it sounds very interesting. I'd actually like to see them use it for the next Brosnan film, personally.

Just so we can see what Dalton's 3rd film would have been like.

#7 manitou007

manitou007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 11:14 AM

Come to think of it, it would have been a good film. The Bond series has danced around cybercrime (Goldeneye), but never dealt with it properly.

#8 ShakeNotStirred

ShakeNotStirred

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 05:49 PM

I have read about it and it looks interesting and i wished they would have done it because it would have given Dalton another chance and it seemed like it would have been a cool opening scene and it would have maybe included Anthony Hopkins as a villian and that would have been so awesome. I wished they would have made it just because Bond is awesome and it would given me one more movie to watch.

#9 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 04:20 AM

Hmmm, robots. Well, it'd be a tad dated I'd imagine (what Bond isn't). Also, it would have affected Bond history. Would it have done well against T2 and the like, I guess yes. Then there would be Bond 18 in 93 with Bond 20 in 97 for the 35th anniversary. But would Brosnan have still have been so popular (when ever he took over)? Part of his instant popularity sprung from the fact that he basically brought Bond back from the dead.

Oh well, anyone got any interesting title ideas? I think something with "Steel" in it would kinda fit.

#10 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 07:36 PM

If License to Kill didn't almost kill James Bond, this script would have. There was no way in the world MGM was ever going to approve another Dalton Bond. Like it or not, the dollar rules for a studio, and Dalton's two Bonds were the lowest attended Bonds here in the US. That's pretty bad.

#11 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 03:32 AM

I know LTK performed underwhelmingly in the States (though elsewhere in the world was fine), but I understood that TLD did good business. Not up to Moonraker heights perhaps, but still very good.

#12 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 05:00 AM

TLD did a little better than AVTAK (which was significantly down from Octopussy) and adjusted for inflation was the 4th lowest Bond performer in the U.S. in terms of B.O, and 3rd lowest in admissions :)

http://www.boxoffice...nd/adjusted.htm

http://www.klast.net/bond/boxoff.html

As for the treatment and rumors.... robots, Whoopi Goldberg, and the script writers for Howard the Duck.... EEK... sorry I'm glad Dalton made The Rocketeer instead.

#13 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 11:01 PM

Yeah, I can't stand Whoopi Goldberg.

I love The Rocketeer though, Dalton was amazing in it.

#14 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 06:53 PM

Does any of this material exist today. Some of it has been use. The drop out of the Helicopter to ski down a mountain (TWINE) . The return of the Aston Martin (GoldenEye) , The unique use of the ejector seat (DAD). loved the asian location , shades of YOLT and TND. The use of main Villian as a asian ,shades of Dr.NO .The opening scene a fore runnerto the opening to DAD (??). And Perhaps a great way to use Colonel Sun for the remainder of a screenplay. Is this Bond 21????

#15 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 07:59 PM

Actually I saw an interview with dalton on televison about it.

Some things Dalton said about his 3rd Bond, this was in 1997.

First it was titled The Property of a Lady

Second it was to take place in Hong Kong, and other parts of Asia, along with Japan and England and Scotland.

The ending was to take place in Hing Kong

Third, the plot was to involve the killing of the Hong Kong agents in LTK, and the Hong Kong drug dealers that Bond screws over in LTK when he blows up Sanchez's facility

Fourth, those drug dealers put out an assisnation plot against Bond

Fifth, Anthony Hopkins was supposed to play the villian

Sixth, Whoopi Goldberg was supposed to play the Bond girl

Seventh, it was to be released in the fall of 1992, or the summer of 1993

Eighth, in the end of the movie Dalton was supposed to have to rescue Goldberg who was being held captive by Hopkins. He first kills Hopkins, then when he gets to where Goldberg is he has to fight a new kind of Bond enemy. The ending had 8 killer robots that Dalton had to fight against and kill, then after he kills them he unites Goldberg, and the movie ends.

All I can say is it is a damn shame that dalton never got to make that Bond. Sounds to me like we all got jipped out of a good Bond movie.

Also is it just me or does that script no look eerily similar to DAD? Could it be DAD was really the The Property of a Lady script?

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 08:12 PM

There are the killer robots in DAD that is for sure, and replace Goldberg with Halle Berry and you have DAD.

#17 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 02:24 AM

Halle Berry Vs. Goldberg any day . Yes for Berry. i was interested in the uses of the plot with the Colonel Sun novel. Sounds like a great Bond Movie to me.

#18 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 09:58 AM

Mr 11 11,

Do you recall where Dalton gave this interview in 97? Was it on tv or in a magazine? Do you remember any details?

As far as i know, Dalton or the Bond producers have never spoken about this proposed third film.

Is anyone aware of them ever talking about this third film to the media?

And i concur, we missed out on a fantastic film with a rivetting pre title sequence, interesting Bond girl (Connie Webb), excellent and not too over the top action pieces (high tech car chase) and a great villain (Hopkins). The perfect Bond film.

If only these legal problems had occured earlier or later than Dalton's era after the third film was finished.

#19 FireKiss

FireKiss

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 10:26 AM

Come to think of it, at that time there were articles in the press about the worlds largest (and i know this won't be spelt right!) anthropomorphic robot being used in the next Dalton film.

Oh and by the way, I also thought Rocketeer was a great film, why it didn't do well at the box office, i'll NEVER understand.

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 04:11 PM

There was a lot of talk in the UK press in the early 1990s that Dalton's third Bond movie would be called "Colonel Sun". There was a nice section in the 'TV Times' about the plans for "Colonel Sun" to come out in 1991/92.
I read the synoposis for the movie on 007 Forever and it seems to me that the producers have already used most of the elements from that screenplay in Pierce Brosnan's Bond movies.

At about 1993 it was reported that three to four Bond screenplays were in the works. That appeared in either Premiere or Empire, I forget which one.

#21 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 04:38 PM

What villian would Anthony Hopkins have played . According the the 007 forever article the main villian was 30 year old British-Chinese . I feel that since Eon re-uses so much material from earlier films and script treatment that some of the ideas have been use . or will be use , unless it starts to use the works of others ,Benson or Garnder .Some of it is great and still newsworthy . Still sound more like Sci-FI Bond (i.e. Dr. NO) than FRWL . Still given the advances in CGI (horrors) it might work . Second , on the HMSS website ther is a interview with Wilson . When asked about Colonel Sun , he said that they (Eon) had /have any option to buy it. does any one know more about that. Does the Fleming publisher own the literary copyright to it and will it reappear in print???

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 06:23 PM

I think Glidrose owns the copyright to "Colonel Sun" and as was mentioned earlier, it was to have been the title for one of the Dalton 007 movies.

#23 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 09:48 AM

Why did the producers completely scrap such a promising script and proceed with Goldeneye instead?

I have never understood why. Anyone care to enlighten me?

#24 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 05:16 PM

Originally posted by 11 11

Sixth, Whoopi Goldberg was supposed to play the Bond girl

Exactly what exotic strain of crack were those bozos smoking? Probably the same one that they smoked before choosing Sheryl Crow's abominable title song for TND over K.D. Lang's "Surrender."

Having Whoopi Goldberg as a Bond girl will surely make a lot of people appreciate Denise Richards all of sudden.

Don't get me wrong. I have always enjoyed Whoopi. But she doesn't belong in a Bond film. Not as a girl. Not as a villain. Not as a henchmen. Not as comic sidekick If this is true, then someone at the studio years ago needed to check themselves into detox. Or an asylum.

#25 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 08:01 PM

since this was a Michael Wilson and Alfonse Ruggiero screen treatment. Is it still in existince . It would be nice too know , just how much of it ever made it in the "original" script for the Dalton version of GoldenEye . Has any of the material out side of the Far east connection for TND made it on screen yet . Just reding the outline , one get a real sense that it would have been a step in the right direction for Dalton's Bond. a real return to the Gritty days of Ian Fleming's Bond . I would guess the return of the Aston-Martin ,surprised many . But then In TLD Dalton drove a V8 Aston-Martin. So the return of the DB5 , just found it's way to GoldenEye. The end of the double-0 section ( a nod too Garnder's License Renewed ??) . The Ski scene at the japanese ski resort . This would have made a great movie for Dalton.

#26 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 09:17 PM

Ok it was a televison interview with Dalton like I said around like 1997 I am thinking, not sure though, but I can say I am sure it was after GE before TND came out.

Dalton I think was on Etertaingment Tonight talking about a new movie of his. He was wearing a black suit and smoking quite heavily, the whole room was filled with smoke.

Anyway, he said that the reason why Goldberg was to be the Bond girl was because at the time Dalton and Goldberg were lving together, and I believe he might even have said they were engaged.

Anyway she had come off of Ghost so she was big at the box office at that time, and since Dalton and her were living together well, that is how she would have gotten the part

I have to say that The Property of a Lady that Dalton described sounds exactly like DAD to me.

#27 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 10:46 PM

Originally posted by iceberg

Exactly what exotic strain of crack were those bozos smoking?  Probably the same one that they smoked before choosing Sheryl Crow's abominable title song for TND over K.D. Lang's "Surrender."

Having Whoopi Goldberg as a Bond girl will surely make a lot of people appreciate Denise Richards all of sudden.  

Don't get me wrong.  I have always enjoyed Whoopi.  But she doesn't belong in a Bond film.  Not as a girl.  Not as a villain.  Not as a henchmen.  Not as comic sidekick If this is true, then someone at the studio years ago needed to check themselves into detox.  Or an asylum.

Whoopi was dating Dalton at the time...I'm sure that had something to do with it.

#28 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 11:13 PM

That was interesting . I also remember than period. As to casting Goldberg . Well that was just the "gods" at work. I am still interested in the basic plot . It still seems like some that might work even today. The whole anthropomorphic robotics looks like a winner . It fits in rather nicely with the sci-fi Bond . In DAD the suit that Graves wore is close. The are a lot of great website about the subject. I really , feel that at time as fans we concertate on the wrong thing. Whoopi Goldberg was a hot property , artistically in the 1990's . The fact that she was involved with Dalton and had just won a Oscar. Is not important too me. The real issue as a Bond fan is 2 fold . I how far did the development of the treatment go . What part has been use and what has not . If they do plan to use it in any thing . Remember as of may Brosnan will be 50 years old. With a 3 year wait. If you look over the article from www.007forever.com it was a good set of ideas for a Bond film. In fact it would have save many form the horror of the acursed CGI in DAD. Since this "film" would have used a great deal of it. And if you seen the TLOTR CGI has come a long way.

#29 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 12:11 PM

Has anyone ever seen what these "robots" look like?

Where there ever any sketches leaked to the media around that time?

Disney's Imageneering Division did make preliminary sketch designs. Why are these hidden?

#30 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 02:50 PM

It seems to me they filmed this script already and called it "Die Another Day". DAD even features Bond fighting robots.