102 replies to this topic

#31 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:21 PM

Perhaps we are seeing studios wanting to spend less time and money on new extras on Blu Ray because of the decline in sales due to more and more people choosing digital download as opposed to physical discs.

#32 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:45 PM

Perhaps we are seeing studios wanting to spend less time and money on new extras on Blu Ray because of the decline in sales due to more and more people choosing digital download as opposed to physical discs.

This. Blu Ray has never taken off the way they wanted it to, many people not seeing the need to replace DVD's with a different type of disc when digital HD is available.

#33 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

Hopefully they'll continue on with Blu-ray and physical media for the foreseeable future.  While digital HD is available, it's not widespread.  It takes a better-than-average internet connection to rely on it on a consistent basis.  I know that I can't go the digital HD route, as my connection is barely decent enough to allow for the streaming of standard definition video, and even then that can be hit or miss.  

#34 Toxteth_OGrady

Toxteth_OGrady

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

Looks like there will be some 2-disc versions available, although not in the UK as far as I can see (and the extras still look poor):

http://intl.target.c...Slot=medium_1_1

http://www.amazon.fr...pf_rd_i=desktop

#35 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

Looks like there will be some 2-disc versions available, although not in the UK as far as I can see (and the extras still look poor):

http://www.amazon.fr...pf_rd_i=desktop

Yes, Germany will get that one, too (as I already posted here). It'll be a steelbook edition, and the bonus disc won't be a Blu Ray but a DVD.

#36 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

I don't understand why they don't hire a cameraman and someone to do interviews and just let them unwind on set and give fans some behind the scenes look at the film. It just seems really cheap.

#37 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:04 PM

I don't understand why they don't hire a cameraman and someone to do interviews and just let them unwind on set and give fans some behind the scenes look at the film. It just seems really cheap.

Basically there's little demand for extras these days so it's just seen as an extra expense. You only really get a proper selection of extras if a director really wants to do them (see the works of Edgar Wright and Joss Whedon) or its beneficial in promoting the next film in the series/testing an idea moving forward with the series (give Marvel a wave with their one shots)

#38 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

I can't imagine that an extra cameraman or journalist position was in the cards for Spectre.  They were desperately trying to slash the budget throughout the entire process to get it down to something that remotely resembled reasonable.  No money was going to go to someone to document the (troubled) production when very few people would be interested in the end result of that person's work anyway.

#39 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:37 PM

I wish people would stop harping on about this being a troubled production.

It was a project that was subject to change and alteration as it progressed.  All projects change according to an ebb and flow of influences, both external and internal.  FFS.

#40 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

I don't think it's so much to do with lack of demand for extras that's determined the growing trend for sparse bonus material, as it is the expense involved for distributors.

Paramount (followed swiftly by Disney) started the practice of minimal extras or vanilla discs for new films way back in 2010, when they realised their Marvel and Transformers properties would sell regardless of behind-the-scenes material. Disney followed soon afterwards (what better way to exploit their tightly controlled release-and-recall home media strategy than to alternate editions with extras with vanilla editions?) - and hey presto, a trend was born.

#41 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:36 AM

It was a project that was subject to change and alteration as it progressed.  All projects change according to an ebb and flow of influences, both external and internal.  FFS.

SPECTRE clearly was troubled even in pre-production.

#42 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:09 AM

This. Though do prep yourself for people saying how you're wrong.

#43 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

What difference does it make if there are problems with production or not and there being bonus material?

I was thinking it is kind of cheap, didn't this film make a billion dollars. They just want you too by all the merchandise, like on set photos...

Then again I want to believe it is something like they want to protect their trade secrets. The world is not the cruel.

#44 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:31 AM

Fine - you might be right.

But then I do wonder whether one's knowledge of how 'troubled' a production is, is only based on the amount of information that is now made available via the internet.

Compared to pre-internet days when none of what we hear now was available, I wonder how troubled SPECTRE was compared to every single other film ever made.

Or, show me a film, and show me a non-troubled production.

#45 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

Unfortunately - and I really mean: unfortunately - the Sony leaks laid bare what was wrong with the concept and what was not corrected before or during filming.

If the leaks had not revealed the warnings - and I did not read those before watching the film - I still would have pointed at the same problems.

One should clarify, however, that the production troubles - especially Craig´s injury - did not contribute to the film´s problems.

I would place them at the months of preparation, with the costs spiralling upwards, leading to cutting whole sequences (especially the finale in the rain). 

#46 Toxteth_OGrady

Toxteth_OGrady

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

For anyone ordering the UK steelbook from Amazon.co.uk, looks like they've dropped the price to £19.99 (was originally £21.98)

At first this looks like good news, however I then realised it will no longer qualify for free delivery :(

#47 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:18 AM

Does anyone know what the "Includes Bonus DVD with over 20 minutes of content" entails? If it's Bond/SPECTRE-related then I'm interested but not if it's just 20 minutes of non-Bond related MGM/Sony material.

#48 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:21 AM

Does anyone know what the "Includes Bonus DVD with over 20 minutes of content" entails? If it's Bond/SPECTRE-related then I'm interested but not if it's just 20 minutes of non-Bond related MGM/Sony material.

I think it will be similar to the 20 minutes of extras on the Skyfall DVD.

In the case of SPECTRE, I believe they focus on:-

- Sam Mendes

- The Bond Girls

- The supercars of SPECTRE

- the music of SPECTRE

#49 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:36 AM

- Sam Mendes

- The Bond Girls

- the music of SPECTRE

Thanks, DaveBond21.

#50 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:20 AM

- Sam Mendes

- The Bond Girls

- the music of SPECTRE

Thanks, DaveBond21.

The video blogs (covering things like the above) will be on the main disc.

From what I understand, this bonus disc will have the documentary "The Shadow of Spectre" on it. This was perviously available as a download. 

So far, only Target in the U.S. and MediaMarkt.de in German have a special edition Blu-ray with this bonus DVD.

#51 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:53 PM

- Sam Mendes

- The Bond Girls

- the music of SPECTRE

Thanks, DaveBond21.

The video blogs (covering things like the above) will be on the main disc.

From what I understand, this bonus disc will have the documentary "The Shadow of Spectre" on it. This was perviously available as a download. 

So far, only Target in the U.S. and MediaMarkt.de in German have a special edition Blu-ray with this bonus DVD.

That sounds interesting. I think I'll get that one. Thanks, Shrublands.

#52 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

Going to pick up my copy at Target this morning, on my way into work!!

#53 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

Mine will be waiting for me at home courtesy of Amazon!

#54 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Have mine in hand.

#55 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:01 PM

Stopping by Target on my home from work today...

#56 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:15 PM

Watched the bluray today. The color of the film seems to match what was presented in the theater. The subtitles in the PTS seemed small from what I remember but that is probably just me.

I enjoyed the Day of the Dead doc which came in at 20 minutes. The video blogs are nice to have but really not much there at 1+ minute each.

The Target bonus disc has a 6+ minute on The Writing's on the Wall song/credit sequence that isn't bad.

Purvis and Wade recount SPECTRE throughout the Bond movies. Nothing of any real value here at 10+ minutes. Finally is the Sam Smith music video. These are all things that should have been included with the bluray to begin with. Nothing spectacular though.

Edited by Hockey Mask, 09 February 2016 - 09:39 PM.

#57 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:17 PM

HMV was well stocked today, so my collection is now up-to-date.

#58 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:31 PM

Got mine!

12669596_10204090555102577_5753509143469

#59 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:42 AM

I got suckered into the steel book edition. I have a sweet spot for packaging. 

Damn you, Target! You and your exclusive extras!

Edited by Trevelyan 006, 11 February 2016 - 01:43 AM.

#60 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:51 PM

Got the Besy Buy steelbook exclusive Spectre Blu Ray, today!