#61 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

‘...What is the world afraid of now?’"

A painfully lazy and superflous 4th act that made DAD look like The Godfather by comparison.

#62 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:35 AM

Meanwhile, MARVEL has announced release dates through 2020 and has them planned on Kevin Feige's wall through 2028.  EON continues to wing it...

#63 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:51 PM

‘...What is the world afraid of now?’"

A painfully lazy and superflous 4th act that made DAD look like The Godfather by comparison.

Haha!

Meanwhile, MARVEL has announced release dates through 2020 and has them planned on Kevin Feige's wall through 2028.  EON continues to wing it...

Well, they probably have to with Craig.

#64 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

Good to hear things are happening in the background.

#65 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:51 AM

In all fairness: Marvel can slate new films very easily since they have the core property lined up and just add numerical numbers to them.

With Bond films, it´s always a struggle for breaking a new story.  The days of "just" adapting another Fleming novel are over, sadly.

#66 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:23 AM

In all fairness: Marvel can slate new films very easily since they have the core property lined up and just add numerical numbers to them.

With Bond films, it´s always a struggle for breaking a new story.  The days of "just" adapting another Fleming novel are over, sadly.

I agree that EON have it tougher than most, they are attempting to keep a 50+-year-old franchise fresh, and they don't have the luxury of pre-planned stories anymore. However, this is the greatest franchise in the world!! Potentially, it can be seen as a good thing that they don't have to rely on Cold War stories, and have the freedom to take a well known and credible character in any direction they please. 

#67 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:21 PM

Also, let's not forget that Marvel have different people working on different films simultaneously. Be it writers, directors, and actors, these movies are developed, filmed, and edited somewhat concurrently, with all the parties involved working under the same umbrella organization.

With Bond, on the other hand, it is usually the same basic team (Purvis & Wade, Craig, Mendes, Chris Corbould, etc...). Also, MGW and Babs are very hands-on producers, and would unlikely allow various teams to be working on different films simultaneously with fairly minimal oversight.

Different approaches. 

#68 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:42 AM

With Bond, on the other hand, it is usually the same basic team (Purvis & Wade, Craig, Mendes, Chris Corbould, etc...). Also, MGW and Babs are very hands-on producers, and would unlikely allow various teams to be working on different films simultaneously with fairly minimal oversight.

Different approaches. 

Marvel also has a very hands on Producer in Kevin Feige- (whose hands on approach and insistance on ongoing script rewrites and reshoots has seen him clash with several directors)- so multiple teams doesn't necessarily mean minimal oversight.
What Bond could take away from the Marvel approach is the planning ahead- rather than just reacting to the reception of each film- which would not necessarily require them to have multiple teams working on multiple films at once.
(Instead have the writers start working on story concepts for the follow-up once scripting on the current Bond film finishes/ start the actual scripting once the current Bond film is finishing up shooting.)
Because the choice to not begin working on the story of the next Bond film until they are done with the current one makes a two year turn around between Bond's seem impossible.

#69 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:02 AM

Actually, Eon in its early days has been doing just that, there were different scripts in the pipeline at least until OHMSS - which itself was lined up a couple of times, only to then get another season on the drawing board. I suppose they dropped this after TSWLM with its multiple scripts and writers. They had to pull a new story out of the hat anyway, so they just concentrated on getting one film at a time off the ground. Admittedly, a continuing timeline or storyarch was not a concern then.

#70 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

Personally, I wonder whether I would prefer an ongoing story arc at all.

I guess in the current climate of building story universes it makes sense from a marketing standpoint to crossreference everything so that audiences feel the need to watch everything (as the Marvel and the DC way try to do it).

But the negative effect of it is that it all becomes inpenetrable for those who don´t want to invest their time like this.

And to think that future Bond films can only be fully understood if one actually studies every film for every reference... 

Nah, I guess, IMHO, it would be enough to maintain what they did before: have one actor´s tenure be consistant - but also have the freedom to change things up with the next actor.

#71 Double Naught spy

Double Naught spy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:51 PM

If Disney got ahold of the franchise, I bet their first Bond film would be about Bond being ordered to train his own replacement as the new (and cheaper) 007.

#72 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:08 PM

I do find it interesting that people still criticise Disney as if they are still that company of the early nineties 20 years later. They aren't that company any more as their treatment of both Marvel and Lucasfilm shows, both have been allowed to operate autonomously with Disney's input being only what each production company was comfortable with. 

#73 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:46 PM

I don't want an ongoing story line. Just give us episodic tales, all variations on a theme.

#74 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:49 PM

I don't want an ongoing story line. Just give us episodic tales, all variations on a theme.

Couldn't agree more. Focussing on a continuous story arc for Eon has been a little messy and not thought through.