172 replies to this topic

#61 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hmm. I get the feeling that some of it was better before the changes, and the changes themselves were rather minor tweaking.

It's a massive improvement from where it was in spring/summer 2014. At that stage, it was on course to be a disaster. There's also very little I'm disappointed they cut from the draft scripts. My feeling is they tightened it up a lot - but know others may disagree.

#62 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hmm. I get the feeling that some of it was better before the changes, and the changes themselves were rather minor tweaking.

I've read the draft the notes were written about (the October P&W rewrite), and if they put it up on screen folks would have rioted in the theater. The third act was disastrous.

It's true that some folks here miss some of the stuff from the revised December draft, but that draft was written later in the process and was written in response to the studio notes.

#63 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:26 PM

It's a massive improvement from where it was in spring/summer 2014. At that stage, it was on course to be a disaster. There's also very little I'm disappointed they cut from the draft scripts. My feeling is they tightened it up a lot - but know others may disagree.

They have removed all of what was just plain silly, the finished film is more streamline and better for it.

One example was when M demanded that the smart blood stuff be deleted incase the bad guys used it to track Bond. (still there)

But then, in the very next scene, he sends a telegram directly to Bond in Morocco, explicitly mentioning the 00 section and signing it M.

Stuff like that, and it was a pointless bit of repetitive exposition anyway.

The script was littered with that sort of thing and it's best gone.

#64 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:40 PM

Agreed. Another example - Mr White trying to conceal Madeleine's location, and then having it written in his wallet.

#65 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

Agreed. Another example - Mr White trying to conceal Madeleine's location, and then having it written in his wallet.

Yes, another good example.

Also, if he wanted Bond to protect her so much, why not just tell him where to find her?

#66 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

Hmm.  I get the feeling that some of it was better before the changes, and the changes themselves were rather minor tweaking.

I got that impression too. I was sad to find myself agreeing with a lot of the execs' notes!

#67 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:53 PM

I also prefer Bond inviting Moneypenny to his flat. It implies that he has made up his mind to bring her in on this and not something he does on the spur of the moment.

It read as if she had shown up there with this file, at night, for no particular reason. Why not just give it to him the the next day at work? She wasn't to know it's importance.

Now it seems so much more reasoned and sensible.

#68 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:56 PM

I guess most of you didn't get the memo that you weren't allowed to see SP more than once until we in the US got to see it a first time.

#69 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:17 PM

I also prefer Bond inviting Moneypenny to his flat. It implies that he has made up his mind to bring her in on this and not something he does on the spur of the moment.

It read as if she had shown up there with this file, at night, for no particular reason. Why not just give it to him the the next day at work? She wasn't to know it's importance.

Now it seems so much more reasoned and sensible.

True.  A lot of the streamlining and cutting of lines/scenes has worked to the benefit of the film.  However I would have preferred...

Spoiler

#70 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:59 PM

Interesting you say that SAF. Bond being involved in that was one of mine and Shrublands' biggest problems with the script. Made more sense as M, given their professional rivalry, in my opinion.

#71 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:13 PM

The scene kinda/sorta worked as a callback to CR, but it didn't make sense with Bond's arc.

Did any of the chilling Oberhauser/Mr. White backstory make it in? That was the one bit that I loved in the October draft.

#72 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:19 AM

I still have to see SPECTRE (it doesn't open here till november 5th), but your first impressions are an interesting and intriguing read Vauxhall.

I too read some of the leaked material (not all of it of course), but I know I'll be pleasantly surprised with the movie. At least it seems the general opinion is that it's a solid Bond movie, not the best and not the worst.

cheers

#73 Irrigator

Irrigator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:41 AM

After glancing through some very positive reviews by critics I admire, I was ready to fall head-over-heels. But unfortunately Spectre ended up being a big let down. Not as bad as Quantum fortunately, but nowhere near the league of CR and SF imho.

After a thrilling PTS and an amazing title sequence (to a subpar Bond song) I quickly sensed that something was wrong. The politics at the home office didn't interest me in the slightest and really distracted from Bond's mission. A lot of characters didn't make a lasting impression (especially Lucia and Hinx) and the action sequences didn't excite me. The Oberhauser backstory felt contrived as well as the role Spectre played in the last three Bond films. Waltz was menacing, but not as memorable as Bardem. And personally I didn't buy the Swan/Bond relationship, making the ending hard to swallow.

After three Bond films that were very personal and dark, I was hoping for a much lighter and more traditional Bond film. You could argue that it was indeed a lighter film, but the ending was again way too personal for me. And with 'that' ending, we can probably expect a OHMSS/CR style death in the next one, making it even harder to return to a more traditional Bond narrative.

Still not everything was bad. The cinematography was lush and gorgeous, the main cast was great, there were some genuine laughs (the 009 joke killed me) and the helicopter stunt is the most memorable stunt of the Craig era so far. Here's hoping Craig will be back for a fifth one and that they will manage to make one last great Bond film. He deserves it.

Edited by Irrigator, 31 October 2015 - 12:42 AM.

#74 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:24 AM

Your view chimes with much of what my friend thought tonight - apart from he was convinced the helicopter stunt was fake and could not be persuaded otherwise.

As for me, most of my opinions stay the same - although I found the helicopter fight slightly oddly cut and scored. The big difference though: Waltz made a far bigger impression. The attention to detail of his performance is superb. Shrublands noticed this before, but I love him absent-mindedly picking cat hair off his jacket. Also, great little flourishes - firstly when showing Bond his observatory, and secondly when he sets the timers at MI6.

My reading of his final look on the bridge is a bit of two things - more jealousy and pain at Bond's happy ending compared to his ill-fate, meshed with a determination Bond will never be happy if he has anything to do with it.

#75 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:52 AM

Something else I spotted: when Oberhauser's compound blows up, two black vehicles are faintly seen driving off away from the flames.

#76 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

I really have to see the film again (and, probably, again and again... B) )

After my initial lukewarm reaction my thoughts keep returning to the film - proving to me that I am ready now to separate my unrealistic and very personal expectations from what actually is there.  Because many scenes did stick in my mind as absolutely brilliant.

#77 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:53 AM

After glancing through some very positive reviews by critics I admire, I was ready to fall head-over-heels. But unfortunately Spectre ended up being a big let down. Not as bad as Quantum fortunately, but nowhere near the league of CR and SF imho.

After a thrilling PTS and an amazing title sequence (to a subpar Bond song) I quickly sensed that something was wrong. The politics at the home office didn't interest me in the slightest and really distracted from Bond's mission. A lot of characters didn't make a lasting impression (especially Lucia and Hinx) and the action sequences didn't excite me. The Oberhauser backstory felt contrived as well as the role Spectre played in the last three Bond films. Waltz was menacing, but not as memorable as Bardem. And personally I didn't buy the Swan/Bond relationship, making the ending hard to swallow.

After three Bond films that were very personal and dark, I was hoping for a much lighter and more traditional Bond film. You could argue that it was indeed a lighter film, but the ending was again way too personal for me. And with 'that' ending, we can probably expect a OHMSS/CR style death in the next one, making it even harder to return to a more traditional Bond narrative.

Still not everything was bad. The cinematography was lush and gorgeous, the main cast was great, there were some genuine laughs (the 009 joke killed me) and the helicopter stunt is the most memorable stunt of the Craig era so far. Here's hoping Craig will be back for a fifth one and that they will manage to make one last great Bond film. He deserves it.

What made me chuckle about the DB10 was

Spoiler

Something else I spotted: when Oberhauser's compound blows up, two black vehicles are faintly seen driving off away from the flames.

Can't say as I blame them, in the circumstances! ;-)

Your view chimes with much of what my friend thought tonight - apart from he was convinced the helicopter stunt was fake and could not be persuaded otherwise.
As for me, most of my opinions stay the same - although I found the helicopter fight slightly oddly cut and scored. The big difference though: Waltz made a far bigger impression. The attention to detail of his performance is superb. Shrublands noticed this before, but I love him absent-mindedly picking cat hair off his jacket. Also, great little flourishes - firstly when showing Bond his observatory, and secondly when he sets the timers at MI6.
My reading of his final look on the bridge is a bit of two things - more jealousy and pain at Bond's happy ending compared to his ill-fate, meshed with a determination Bond will never be happy if he has anything to do with it.

Absolutely agree about Christoph Waltz - we had to wait a while after his initial introduction in the film but when he was back he made a great impression. Less flamboyant than Javier Bardem's Silva but definitely a standout. Just a pity he wasn't on a little bit longer;

Spoiler

#78 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

Spoiler

Absolutely agree about Christoph Waltz - we had to wait a while after his initial introduction in the film but when he was back he made a great impression. Less flamboyant than Javier Bardem's Silva but definitely a standout. Just a pity he wasn't on a little bit longer;

Spoiler

I'm with Irrigator on this one. Waltz's performance was fantastic - as was every performance in the film, no faults there - but his character was severely underused.

I must watch it again, but every time I begin to think he was better used than I remember, or someone says they liked his character a lot, the hope that Bond 25 will expand on things keeps coming up. And to me, that's the biggest problem: should we really give a film a free pass if it's unable to stand on its own feet? Most people don't with QoS, so should we with SP?

#79 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:38 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm with Irrigator on this one. Waltz's performance was fantastic - as was every performance in the film, no faults there - but his character was severely underused.

I must watch it again, but every time I begin to think he was better used than I remember, or someone says they liked his character a lot, the hope that Bond 25 will expand on things keeps coming up. And to me, that's the biggest problem: should we really give a film a free pass if it's unable to stand on its own feet? Most people don't with QoS, so should we with SP?

Makes you wonder if;

Spoiler

#80 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:52 AM

Interesting idea, Guy Haines.  I think that would actually have worked out very well - but as you say: the symbolism of the London finale is probably what was wanted by Mendes.  And I do appreciate that it is there.

#81 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:35 AM

Third, and potentially final, cinema viewing tonight. 

Christoph Waltz and Lea Seydoux get better each time I see their performances, particularly Seydoux who is able to move effortlessly from the hardened daughter of an assassin to a vulnerable young woman grieving for her father. I'm surprised how much I'm blown away by her. She is already moving well towards my list of the best female performances in the series - I honestly think she's that good.

The Bond/Madeleine apparent farewell outside the safehouse is still a big disappointment though. The dialogue is clunky and predictable - which doesn't happen very often in the film - and I still think the tone doesn't seem right that they're both willing to part so easily. A shame, but doesn't ruin it too much really.

#82 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:51 AM

Christoph Waltz and Lea Seydoux get better each time I see their performances, particularly Seydoux who is able to move effortlessly from the hardened daughter of an assassin to a vulnerable young woman grieving for her father. I'm surprised how much I'm blown away by her. She is already moving well towards my list of the best female performances in the series - I honestly think she's that good.

The Bond/Madeleine apparent farewell outside the safehouse is still a big disappointment though. The dialogue is clunky and predictable - which doesn't happen very often in the film - and I still think the tone doesn't seem right that they're both willing to part so easily. A shame, but doesn't ruin it too much really.

Spoiler

#83 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:59 AM

Well said and to the point.

Regarding the Bond/Madeleine scene:  since time is of the essence, I even thought it was not just credible but typical of Bond to be as tight-lipped in that moment.

#84 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

Yeah - I thought too it was completely in keeping with the Craig character / portrayal.

#85 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

Craig's performance in that moment seemed perfectly in character to me, too. The problem was Madeleine - I like that she had a change of heart, but why so last minute, after travelling all the way to London, and to the safehouse, and so soon after falling for Bond?

Oh yeah, to become a damsel in distress.

Poorly handled character arc.

#86 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:30 PM

In fairness I think Madeleine was having doubts before London.
Spoiler

#87 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

The simplest way for me to explain my enjoyment of the film is to say that it made me feel elated for the rest of the day.

#88 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:28 AM

Yeah - I thought too it was completely in keeping with the Craig character / portrayal.

I think it probably was - but the subsequent throwing the gun away to be with her seemed like it didn't.

#89 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:11 AM

Well said and to the point.

Regarding the Bond/Madeleine scene:  since time is of the essence, I even thought it was not just credible but typical of Bond to be as tight-lipped in that moment.

Exactly. Bond hadn't got time to argue;

Spoiler

#90 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:50 AM

Listening to Radio 4 this morning the main item of news is the "Investigatory Powers Bill" going through the UK Parliament - the biggest overhaul of government spying and surveillance powers in years.

Spoiler