Revisiting "Tomorrow Never Dies"

37 replies to this topic

#31 JCH

JCH

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:30 PM

The blue shirt/boat shoes combo Brosnan wears during the bike chase is the fashion low point of the entire franchise. 

You must really like the safari suit.

Or the blue terry jumper from Goldfinger

#32 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:44 PM

...this movie curls up and dies as soon as Bond hits the water after the HALO jump and it never recovers.

The blue shirt/boat shoes combo Brosnan wears during the bike chase is the fashion low point of the entire franchise. Awful costuming.

You're right, Bond should have been wearing a tuxedo under his wet suit (a subtle nod to GF (or True Lies?)). Or Carver's men should have had a bespoke 3-piece Brioni suit among the extensive wardrobe waiting for him on the boat. Seriously, why would Bond choose to wear those rags?

#33 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:51 AM

Stamper is the best henchman of the modern era. Let's see if Hinx takes the mantle off him.

I think the action sequences are satisying. The PTS, car and bike chases are good fun. The stealth boat finale gets a bad rap for being too 'Terminator', but I find that enjoyable too.

Wai Lin is the best Brosnan era ally and Bond girl by some margin, too.

#34 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:44 AM

This is my favorite Brosnan Bond, and the only one I enjoyed on first viewing.  Plus, great score from David Arnold.

#35 Stokes_

Stokes_

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:18 AM

Reached it on my Bond rewatch last night and enjoyed it a lot more than I ever have done.

Thing is, nostalgia is too potent for me when it comes to Bond films and it helps you forgive (and forget) a lot so while it has shifted up my list of favourites, it hasn't usurped GoldenEye even though I can see Tomorrow Never Dies is a more confident and coherent film with a more confident and laid back lead.

It used to be, and was at the beginning of last night, one of the films I was having to watch out of a sense of completion.  If I ever stuck a Bond film on when it wasn't part of a rewatch of the series in the run-up to a new film, it has never been Tomorrow Never Dies.  It used to be one of those I felt I had to 'get through' but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  

In the future, I dare say I'll watch it outside of a series marathon.

#36 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:23 AM

Plus, great score from David Arnold.

It's a good one. CR, QoS and TND are his best scores. I didn't think much of his work on TWINE and DAD. 

#37 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:48 PM

Plus, great score from David Arnold.

It's a good one. CR, QoS and TND are his best scores. I didn't think much of his work on TWINE and DAD. 

Agreed.  CR and QoS function better as scores for their films, but TND is a thoroughly enjoyable independent listening experience.

#38 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

I've always enjoyed TND, by far my favorite Brosnan era flick. It seems to be the one least weighed down by all the half-hearted attempts to "peel back the layers" in Broz's own words and it's all the better for it.

Yeah, it ticks a lot of boxes as far as what we expect, but I think it does so quite well as I find the action some of the best in the series and some of the quieter moments and suspense a little better. Arnold's music has never been better and complements everything quite well. And this is where something like TWINE in comparison is a failure. GoldenEye seems praised to the skies, but people don't seem to always consider how much box-ticking went into that film as well. It gets more of a pass based on the sentiment as well on the first film after the 6-year gap.