This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Will SPECTRE Climax With A Villain Death?

79 replies to this topic

#61 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:29 AM

Brosnan was 49 when DAD released and he looked both out of shape and too grey to be playing Bond. Also, we don't want another Senior citizen Bond do we?

To be fair, Brosnan never really had a build like Craig. He wasn't entirely or even out of shape out all across four films - he had more of just an average man's build in comparison to Craig's bulky build in CR and more Lean build in QOS&SF (I'm also assuming Spectre). For 49, he looks pretty good in DAD, especially considering it was his last film. Moore, however, didn't look so good...

#62 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:49 AM

That is true. However, he was noticeably MORE out of shape in DAD. I doubt Craig will be in SPECTRE or the as yet unnamed 25th entry. My point is just to make sure he goes out on a high note and not a whimper like the other 3 actors who made it to 4 films.

#63 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:09 PM

Even if he was physically past his prime, Brosnan was at his most confident, arrogant and Bond-like in DAD. Gone is the prissy Club Med mixologist from GE.

#64 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:16 PM

Brosnan was 49 when DAD released and he looked both out of shape and too grey to be playing Bond. Also, we don't want another Senior citizen Bond do we?

To be fair, Brosnan never really had a build like Craig. He wasn't entirely or even out of shape out all across four films - he had more of just an average man's build in comparison to Craig's bulky build in CR and more Lean build in QOS&SF (I'm also assuming Spectre). For 49, he looks pretty good in DAD, especially considering it was his last film. Moore, however, didn't look so good...

Also, Brosnan was much taller - and it´s easier for smaller people to look bulky when building up muscles.

#65 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:59 PM

CraigBond has a trendier style than BrosnanBond, which helps mitigate the factor of his age.

#66 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:15 AM

I don't think age is that much of a hindrance to Craig's Bond. He's always had the aura of a grizzled warrior. 

#67 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:17 AM

I don't think age is that much of a hindrance to Craig's Bond. He's always had the aura of a grizzled warrior. 

Agreed.

I'd be more than happy for Craig to continue on into his 50s.

#68 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:36 AM

I agree with sharpshooter and tdalton. Of course whether Daniel Craig wants to carry on into his fifties is another matter. He was quoted as saying he'd go on as Bond "until his knees gave out", and yes he's had a few knee injuries recently. But I think he'll go out of the series when he's ready, on a high - leave 'em wanting more, as they say.

#69 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:57 AM

I agree with sharpshooter and tdalton. Of course whether Daniel Craig wants to carry on into his fifties is another matter. He was quoted as saying he'd go on as Bond "until his knees gave out", and yes he's had a few knee injuries recently. But I think he'll go out of the series when he's ready, on a high - leave 'em wanting more, as they say.

Indeed, but I imagine he and EON would also want a clean end to his stint, so I expect they'll know in advance if a film is down to be his list. That will allow them to wrap up his arc in a satisfying manner.

#70 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:34 PM

I´d love to see Craig carry on for at least two more.  But I guarantee that the first ageism-jokes and put-downs will appear when he is in his 50´s and still Bond.

#71 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:47 PM

I believe Barbara and the team approach the films one at a time. And because of that, I think they could wrap up Bond 25 neatly - say, kill off Blofeld and have Bond drive off into the sunset, and still have Craig appear again without it being a problem. The topic of agent retirement age could come into the equation if they really wanted. Instead of ignoring the age topic, embrace it and make a point of it. Retirement age was always a cloud over Bond's head in the Fleming books. Especially towards the end. 

#72 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:12 PM

Shouldn't the question be, is there 2 villains?

#73 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

Shouldn't the question be, is there 2 villains?

It's SPECTRE, it's full of villains.

#74 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:22 PM

Well, Blofeld notwithstanding, is there the possibility of other villains returning such as Largo or Dr. No?

#75 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:29 PM

The return of other villains - that is an interesting question. The Daily Express strip cartoon "Hot Shot" from the 1970s featured the unexplained return of Dr No, aboard a converted super tanker complete with laser weapon. No reason was given for his sudden reappearance - he was just there. In this rebooted Bond era, I guess there's no reason now why certain adversaries from previous films couldn't turn up again, albeit probably not in remakes of the previous films they featured in.

(Incidentally, "strip cartoon" was of course a good way of describing the Express Bond serialisations, in more than one sense of the word "strip". The content was a little bit more salacious and violent than the films were. Indeed in retrospect I'm surprised they got into the Daily Express when they did - I'm not sure they would now - or that my Express reading granddad left the newspaper around for his Bond fan grandson to pick up and view!)

#76 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:13 PM

If any villain is to go, I see the death of Mr. Hinx as a near guarantee. Somebody must, after all.

#77 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:45 AM

Well, Blofeld notwithstanding, is there the possibility of other villains returning such as Largo or Dr. No?

That's an interesting question. I personally can't see them bringing back those other characters. I think it will just be Waltz as Blofeld for the next two films, including SPECTRE, with a henchman/henchwoman by his side ala Hinx. However it does make you wonder if Irma Bunt is on the horizon. 

#78 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

If ESB does return - revealed to be Oberhauser's real identity in Spectre - and then if he continues into Bond 25 I wouldn't be at all surprised if his henchperson for that film is indeed Fraulein Bunt. Especially if the next movie incorporates the Garden of Death scenes as many on Cbn, including me, would like to see.

Which leaves me wondering - who would we like to see portray Blofeld's close female confidant?

#79 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:01 PM

When they were filming Breaking Bad, Vince Gilligan often wouldn't tell the actors exactly what he had in mind, or how he was going to cut the scene.  So it's entirely possible Christopher Waltz is being truthful about being Oberhauser, not Blofeld.  Yet he may still suspect something.  My guess is brand new script pages appear the day of shooting any sort of "reveal."

#80 dirtymind

dirtymind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:41 PM

When they were filming Breaking Bad, Vince Gilligan often wouldn't tell the actors exactly what he had in mind, or how he was going to cut the scene.  So it's entirely possible Christopher Waltz is being truthful about being Oberhauser, not Blofeld.  Yet he may still suspect something.  My guess is brand new script pages appear the day of shooting any sort of "reveal."

I think you start to suspect something when they put motion capture dots on your face during make-up.