This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Will SPECTRE Climax With A Villain Death?

79 replies to this topic

#31 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:07 AM

Bond is a kite dancing in a hurricane...I should think and hope  the villian(s) will survive for 2-3 films to complete a trilogy.

I'm not sure if they could get Waltz for three films, but it would be ideal really. Aping the Blofeld trilogy of TB/OHMSS/YOLT. Have SPECTRE introduce his character. The second could continue his schemes, where he inflicts a personal toll on Bond or a loved one. And the third, where Bond recovers and claims his revenge. But if it's just two films for Waltz, I could easily see those two acts merged into one.

#32 MadeleineSwann

MadeleineSwann

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Bond is a kite dancing in a hurricane...I should think and hope  the villian(s) will survive for 2-3 films to complete a trilogy.

I'm not sure if they could get Waltz for three films, but it would be ideal really. Aping the Blofeld trilogy of TB/OHMSS/YOLT. Have SPECTRE introduce his character. The second could continue his schemes, where he inflicts a personal toll on Bond or a loved one. And the third, where Bond recovers and claims his revenge. But if it's just two films for Waltz, I could easily see those two acts merged into one.

I think if they were to do another lost loved one in Bond 25, I'd want the revenge to be done in the same film like you mentioned above if Waltz doesn't do three and just two, just because we wouldn't want another CR/QOS. Also, because if Bond 25 is Craig's last they couldn't just continue that story with a different Bond, especially of the time gaps there usually are when a new Bond is cast.

Edited by MadeleineSwann, 02 April 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#33 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:17 PM

I think the saga will finish with Bond 25 with a very specific story arc.

#34 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

I agree with the recent posts about the story arc. I think "lost loved one/revenge" could be done in one movie, and I think it could be based around the end of OHMSS and the "proper" story of YOLT - Garden of Death and all. Whether Christoph Waltz would return for Bond 25 is anyone's guess, but again, it could be done.

But even if he doesn't, casting another actor might not be a problem, not least because it would provide the film with a another nod towards Fleming - Blofeld the chameleon, changing his appearance radically to avoid being recognised by the authorities in general and Bond in particular.

(Assuming, of course, that Waltz really is playing Blofeld in SP. He says he isn't! ;))

#35 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:20 PM

(Assuming, of course, that Waltz really is playing Blofeld in SP. He says he isn't! ;))

Here's a theory: what if the script doesn't identify Blofeld by name? If so, then Waltz can claim in good faith that he's not Blofeld.

Another theory - probably in the wrong thread - what if the shooting scripts, e.g. what got leaked, deliberately excluded these scenes on purpose in the event of said leak?

#36 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:47 PM

This is definitely possible. The SKYFALL scripts, call sheets, etc tended not to refer to the real names of Ben Whishaw and Naomie Harris' characters.

#37 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:59 PM

Well, I can understand Harris' character being referred to as "Eve" or "Agent Eve" - What was Whishaw's "codename" if not Q?

#38 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:02 AM

Well, I can understand Harris' character being referred to as "Eve" or "Agent Eve" - What was Whishaw's "codename" if not Q?

"B". Seriously.

Not a code particularly worthy of MI6.

#39 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:09 AM

"B". Seriously.

Not a code particularly worthy of MI6.

At least they could have called him something like Smithers in the script, but B? That's worse than R  :mellow:

#40 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

I read somewhere that the shooting script also referred to "Mallory's office" for the final scene of SF, I think. It's possible for the script to be quite correct, but not give clues as to who or what it actually refers to.

#41 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:12 PM

I think the B could simply mean Ben. That's why they used it to cover up the Q. 

#42 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

Yes, that's what I've always thought. Not too subtle though.

#43 Shakhtar

Shakhtar

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

No, I believe the next Bond films will follow established Blofeld route. Maybe not in the consecutive order though. I'll go with theory that there will be a "trilogy" on Blofeld, following the "create the universe/expand it/destroy it" formula, popular in contemporary cinema, with SPECTRE being the first on that list, knowing that Blofeld will be fully unshadowed in the end of the film.

#44 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:37 PM

Or Boothroyd.

#45 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

Or Boothroyd.

That would be the more likely explanation, I would think.

Curious as to why they would go to those lengths to keep him a secret since that was one of the first major revelations regarding Skyfall when they really got things underway.  They probably would have had more success keeping that a secret than they did with that embarrassing attempt to convince us that Naomie Harris wasn't playing Moneypenny.

#46 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:05 PM

No, I believe the next Bond films will follow established Blofeld route. Maybe not in the consecutive order though. I'll go with theory that there will be a "trilogy" on Blofeld, following the "create the universe/expand it/destroy it" formula, popular in contemporary cinema, with SPECTRE being the first on that list, knowing that Blofeld will be fully unshadowed in the end of the film.

My belief is that the Blofeld arc will be 2 films with the lost love/revenge angle in just one film.

#47 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:59 PM

What if the new films subvert the old films - Bond kills "Blofeld"'s lover, and it causes him to go on a personal vendetta against Bond?

#48 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:12 PM

What if the new films subvert the old films - Bond kills "Blofeld"'s lover, and it causes him to go on a personal vendetta against Bond?

I... like this idea!

#49 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:56 PM

If we had already gotten either a proper adaptation of You Only Live Twice or even just a proper revenge film after On Her Majesty's Secret Service, I could get on board with that idea.  Since we got neither, I'd rather see Blofeld kill someone close to Bond and have it lead to You Only Live Twice.

#50 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:16 AM

If we had already gotten either a proper adaptation of You Only Live Twice or even just a proper revenge film after On Her Majesty's Secret Service, I could get on board with that idea.  Since we got neither, I'd rather see Blofeld kill someone close to Bond and have it lead to You Only Live Twice.

Entirely agreed. I really want that whole Fleming arc to be make properly for the big screen, and this is the perfect time.

#51 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:32 PM

I agree too. I can see something very like this playing out in Bond 25 and possibly reverberating into 26, should Craig stay on. 

#52 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:35 PM

I agree too. I can see something very like this playing out in Bond 25 and possibly 26. 

I could see it playing out that way as well.  I could see them using Craig's supposed turn in Bond 25 as a way of at least touching on something resembling the Tracy storyline, probably even with a director other than Mendes, and then announcing, after a year of uncertainty of whether they're going to cast a new Bond, that they've secured Craig and Mendes for one final film, which would be some kind of adaptation of You Only Live Twice, allowing both Craig and Mendes to return because they "found the material to be too good to pass up" or something like that.

#53 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:07 PM

I agree too. I can see something very like this playing out in Bond 25 and possibly 26. 

I could see it playing out that way as well.  I could see them using Craig's supposed turn in Bond 25 as a way of at least touching on something resembling the Tracy storyline, probably even with a director other than Mendes, and then announcing, after a year of uncertainty of whether they're going to cast a new Bond, that they've secured Craig and Mendes for one final film, which would be some kind of adaptation of You Only Live Twice, allowing both Craig and Mendes to return because they "found the material to be too good to pass up" or something like that.

Yes, I agree that that is a distinct possibility. 

Or that Bond 25 is a rough adaptation of the end of OHMSS and YOLT, taking it through to a conclusion of sorts. The film ending with Blofeld dead and Bond with amnesia. 

The OHMSS bit being act 1.

Then if they get Craig back for 26, a reimagining of Fleming's MWTGG. The M attempted assignation being the kick off. But it Craig leaves, his Bond's story ends on the YOLT conclusion, which could work well too. 

#54 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:45 PM

I think you might be on to something there, shrublands.

#55 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:29 PM

In my opinion, if Craig returns for one more, the idea of using Fleming's YOLT (in Bond 25) with the amnesia concept and TMWTGG (in Bond 26) storyline, where Bond returns from.. somewhere, trying to assassinate M, would be a good way of introducing a new actor as 007.

#56 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:41 PM

I'm now at least 60% convinced the next Bond film will be a re-working of Fleming's YOLT. Wouldn't be surprised if Shatterhand is the title. Why? Because the fans kept demanding Spectre. So the producers obliged. The fans also keep demanding a proper YOLT adaptation. And in this current Craig era, I can easily see the producers going that route. And now that I think about it, faithfully adapting the start of Fleming's TMWTGG also seems very credible in the Craig era.

#57 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:14 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the next one is a reworking of Fleming's You Only Live Twice, but, let's face it, the direction of the next installment will largely depend on the reaction to Spectre. If Spectre is received negatively, we'll see them backtrack from what they set up here much in the same way that they initially moved away from Quantum of Solace.

#58 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:01 AM

There's only one problem about adapting the end of YOLT the book and the start of TMWTGG the book - the "link" between the two has already been done on screen. Remember the PTC of Skyfall? Then, straight into the film after the theme tune, we have M personally writing Bond's obituary, not unlike the M of the printed page doing the same in YOLT.

Admittedly thereafter we have differences - Bond on a three month boozy bender rather than wandering around thinking he's someone else - but it still ends up with him returning after something jolts him into action; a scrap of newspaper in YOLT the book, CNN coverage of the attack on his HQ in SF.

I can see Bond 25 being an adaptation of the book of YOLT; I just can't see how the end can be re-run relatively soon after SF. And if it is to be Craig's final Bond film, I'd prefer him to bow out as Bond with a relatively happy ending. (Such as the leading lady surviving to the final reel and going off into the sunset with our hero.)

#59 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:17 AM

Yeah, he lives to die another day, I reckon.

But I don't think they're planning another Bond much beyond Risico. Dan Craig's contract expires on Bond 25.

Craig in Bond 26 would depend upon how much SPECTRE grosses first - it'll have to be a lot because the film has cost a lot - and how much Craig's agents ask for.

#60 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:51 AM

I think Bond 25 will be his last. His age combined with the length of production for his films, will spell the end of his tenure possibly one film earlier than most would like. If Bond 25 hits it's 2017 mark (unlikely) he'll be 49. Brosnan was 49 when DAD released and he looked both out of shape and too grey to be playing Bond. Also, we don't want another Senior citizen Bond do we?