32 replies to this topic

#31 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:33 PM

Oldman would've been great as Renard, but for me Robert Carlyle  could've been just as great. But since the character was so wasted - becoming a pointless side show after such a good build up in the first act (much like Hardy in Dark Knight Rises, who too was ultimately a woman's toothless puppet) i think Oldman would've done no better than Carlyle in that panto part.

Totally agree. The problem with "Renaaaaard"  was not the casting, it was the writing. Carlyle can do scary (see: Trainspotting) but the script writers reduced his intensity to a handful of anarchist cliches (and some very hot rocks).

#32 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:47 PM

Oldman would've been great as Renard, but for me Robert Carlyle  could've been just as great. But since the character was so wasted - becoming a pointless side show after such a good build up in the first act (much like Hardy in Dark Knight Rises, who too was ultimately a woman's toothless puppet) i think Oldman would've done no better than Carlyle in that panto part.

Totally agree. The problem with "Renaaaaard"  was not the casting, it was the writing. Carlyle can do scary (see: Trainspotting) but the script writers reduced his intensity to a handful of anarchist cliches (and some very hot rocks).

When i heard Carlyle was cast i was over the moon...

Begbie vs. Bond... Yershhhh!!!

What an utter disappointment that was.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 01 March 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#33 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:40 PM

I have seldom seen actors in other roles before seeing them in Bond films, so I don't suffer the letdown inherent in having inflated expectations.

More often it's a case of "Oh yeah, s/he was in a Bond film!" and I enjoy their earlier/later performances on their own merits.