32 replies to this topic

#1 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:00 AM

I predict that, within the next twenty years, technology will provide us with a program that will enable us to dreamcast our favorite movies, replacing original characters with perfect CGI facsimiles from a stable of other (probably deceased) actors.

Naturally, some would want to see Sean Connery make OHMSS perfect, while others might want to see how George Lazenby would have looked in DAF (all other elements, perforce, remaining unchanged). Likewise Pierce Brosnan in TLD and Timothy Dalton in GE.

Taking this idea a step further, who would you like to see play Bond, who never did play Bond?

I for one would like to see what Ian Ogilvy could have done with AVTAK. I know that, having already played Simon Templar, he had no interest in continuing to relive Roger Moore's career, but he is the one actor I can see nailing not only the ruthless side of the character, but also pulling off the James St. John-Smythe persona as well. Seriously, can you see Timothy Dalton glibbing his way through his first scenes with Zorin as effectively?

Add the prospect of replacing Tanya Roberts with almost anyone (I remember thinking at the time that even Priscilla Barnes would have been better - how prophetic!), and I can see the appeal of such a concept.

Here's another: Lewis Collins - despite being bitter about not making the short list - in LTK. Brrr!

So, what would you do with such a 'dream machine'?

#2 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

Well, this could be a very long list....

I agree completely with Lewis Collins non-casting being a mistake. He would've made any of the 80's Bond movies infinitely better. i think it was Eon's most cynical hour in it's failure to re-cast Moore in OP, let alone AVTAK.

But that's a mistake i think Barbara went out of her way to make up for by hounding Craig to enlist; not necessarily because she'd wanted Collins (though, who knows?), but because she was aware that Eon had missed opportunities to refresh the franchise in the 80s, trying to play it safe instead - the ultimate returns of which are an increasingly indifferent audience. Maybe choosing the wrong Bond is better than simply regurgitating mo(o)re of the same.

With an equally focused team effort as has since been applied to the 'reboot', Lewis Collin's Bond would have been equally as refreshing and successful. All that 'hard to work with' crap is just that, i imagine - no one on The Professionals set was in any rush to recast him, apart from Shaw, but his reasons may have been bias by seeing his trained acting skills eclipsed by the charisma of Collins.

The other big thing they could've done better was writing and crewing up for their new Bond, Dalton. Having the same writers, director etc. from the previous 3 Bond movies pick up where they left off for their new Bond was naive, lazy and probably cheap.

If their new Bond was in the same comedic vein as Moore, then this may have made a little more sense, but they cast a serious actor, sold it to him and us as a move back to Fleming's source material and then saddled him with the same old crew and a vary convoluted, mediocre script that feigned a more serious tone, but was in truth totally uncommitted to that tone. The result was neither humorous, nor gritty, but somewhere in the middle - in the doldrums.

Using the Director and crew of the previous 3 'Carry On Bond' movies of which the public were tiring (i remember, i was one them), is a very difficult move to justify, except, i imagine in budgetary terms. Well they got what they paid for! There could be no surprise that the resulting movie didn't really fizz with the public, or the critics, or Dalton?  

Sure they tried to remedy that a little with LTK, but this just makes my point, that although Eon may have wanted to give us a grittier, more thrilling Bond, they put the same writers and crew to work on it. The results were very frustrating - a 15 certificate for something that's not really that gritty.   Some shark munching, a popping head, a mincer and plenty of tomato ketchup. Gore was never really Fleming's thing - it's more about devient motivation and ruthless people, not tomato ketchup.

Those poor guys who'd been writing and shooting Bond for decades were struggling to reinvent. They surrounded Bond with the movie cliches of the time in a Miami Vice/Scarface/Friday The 13th drugs'n gore version of Fleming's Bond. That Bond team should've been moved on in the early 80s to new pastures with an array of medals for sterling work, instead of having to flog a dead horse time and again.

Maibaum was no longer with us when they wrote GE, so maybe they'd have re-hired him, but he was obviously tiring of ideas for the franchise having written so many of it's best scripts for so many years. Also Glen had more or less stopped making movies by the time of GE, so who knows if he was asked to direct GE. I doubt it - i'm guessing the changed talent for GE, bringing in Feirstein, Campbell, Serra was a conscious decision not to make the same mistake they made in the 80s.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 04 February 2015 - 12:57 PM.

#3 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

I'm somewhat sceptic as to the abilities of said CGI technology when it comes to actual content instead of purely superficial tempering with the visuals. After all, would it really improve a film to just slap different faces on roles that are perhaps not always realised very fortunately to begin with? I doubt it, and I'm not so sure this kind of technology would indeed be able to deliver more than a couple of amusing bits.

But this just as an aside, let's for the sake of the idea just suppose the results would actually resemble the 'as if' proposition. I would very much want to see James Stewart as Bond, the way Fleming and the people involved in the early stages of TB kicked the idea around. I don't think at all the role would have suited him - I'm not even sure Fleming thought so; I suspect he just wanted a big name and would have been just as happy with Frank Sinatra - but if there are no limits, why not go all the way? Ideally directed by Hitchcock, provided this technology allows for such options. I'd pay to see that, maybe in some kind of MR adaptation.

Closer to home would be Richard Burton, who supposedly also had been under consideration. He'd have been fitting but I privately regard his Leamas from The Spy Who Came in from the Cold as already the closest he came to Bond (the Bond of the The Living Daylights short story; maybe also the Bond of YOLT) so in a way I've already seen him in the role, I feel.

Anthony Hopkins would make a nice surprise, perhaps in OHMSS, just for fun, paired with Catherine Deneuve as Tracy. No, nothing's wrong with Rigg, it's just that Deneuve would make it more interesting for me. I'd also let her appear as ghost whenever Bond beds another woman after Tracy's death. I wonder how long it would take until the audience calls for an urgent exorcism...?

Also I'd like to see YOLT directed by Jean-Luc Godard, with Eddie Constantine as Blofeld and Jean-Paul Belmondo as Bond. Okay, that's perhaps a bit too much for CGI...

#4 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:40 PM

I agree this will never, ever be possible with CGi.  Even if you could somehow replace actors entirely, they'd have to be super-imposed exactly over the originals or else you'd have to change *everything* with CGI -- sets, lighting, props, etc.  And if you have Roger Moore moving like Sean Connery, then it's neither Roger nor Sean any more; their body language is part of their performance. Plus, I think it's fairly insulting to suggest that actors are nothing more than faces and bodies that can be replaced with computerized simulacrums, and that they don't bring anything unique or special beyond their appearance.  As far as I'm concerned, even if you had the same actor shoot his Tuesday scenes on a Wednesday, you'd probably get different results; the magic of film is that it captures moments that happened exactly once, and can't be repeated.

However, accepting that we're dealing with pure science fiction here, let's change it to say you have a TARDIS and can pick and choose whomever you like from any point in time and stick them in whatever film you want.  Under those rules, I'd love to have seen Laurence Harvey take a shot at Bond starting with Dr No.  Or maybe Erich Von Stroheim as Blofeld in TB, OHMSS and YOLT (in that order!).  Gene Tierney as Gala Brand.  Ronald Reagan as Felix Leiter.  

#5 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:45 PM

AMC, i replied on the move and hadn't read your OP properly, so apologies for what must have seemed like a pretty tangential reply. Nest i'll be writing 'PUTIN' everywhere ;)

Great thread, it's certainly on the cards that sooner or later we'll see a new Bond movie starring Connery in his prime, though i still think we're at least 15-25 years away from it being indistinguiSHable from the real thing and if it's not, then whats the point?

But when/if it does happen, then I'd love to see faithful adaptations of the novels in the order they were written.

And as one-offs:

Yep, it'd be great to see Ogilvy and Collins' 80's Bond movies, as well as Mel Gibson. And of course Brosnan circa The Long Good Friday in TLD.

Perhaps Brolin's OP?

Mcgoohan and Burton's Dr No

Dick van Dyke for entertainment's sake :)

Oliver Reed in 1969 for sure.

Sam Niel and Neeson's TLD

I love Craig as Bond, but just out of curiosity it'd be interesting to see Cavil, Owen and McMahon in the role.

And oddly enough i'd like to see Burt Reynolds' LALD. It's easy to scoff now, but think Deliverance  and he may have made a great Bond.

I guess the downside is that we wouldn't get the nuance of the actor and with those that hadn't played Bond we'll never know how they might have ended up interpreting the part. But as a fanboy vehicle this software would indeed be dreamy.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 04 February 2015 - 08:53 PM.

#6 Skylla

Skylla

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:56 PM

I'm somewhat sceptic as to the abilities of said CGI technology when it comes to actual content instead of purely superficial tempering with the visuals. After all, would it really improve a film to just slap different faces on roles that are perhaps not always realised very fortunately to begin with? I doubt it, and I'm not so sure this kind of technology would indeed be able to deliver more than a couple of amusing bits.

But this just as an aside, let's for the sake of the idea just suppose the results would actually resemble the 'as if' proposition. I would very much want to see James Stewart as Bond, the way Fleming and the people involved in the early stages of TB kicked the idea around. I don't think at all the role would have suited him - I'm not even sure Fleming thought so; I suspect he just wanted a big name and would have been just as happy with Frank Sinatra - but if there are no limits, why not go all the way? Ideally directed by Hitchcock, provided this technology allows for such options. I'd pay to see that, maybe in some kind of MR adaptation.

Closer to home would be Richard Burton, who supposedly also had been under consideration. He'd have been fitting but I privately regard his Leamas from The Spy Who Came in from the Cold as already the closest he came to Bond (the Bond of the The Living Daylights short story; maybe also the Bond of YOLT) so in a way I've already seen him in the role, I feel.

Anthony Hopkins would make a nice surprise, perhaps in OHMSS, just for fun, paired with Catherine Deneuve as Tracy. No, nothing's wrong with Rigg, it's just that Deneuve would make it more interesting for me. I'd also let her appear as ghost whenever Bond beds another woman after Tracy's death. I wonder how long it would take until the audience calls for an urgent exorcism...?

Also I'd like to see YOLT directed by Jean-Luc Godard, with Eddie Constantine as Blofeld and Jean-Paul Belmondo as Bond. Okay, that's perhaps a bit too much for CGI...

Catherine Deneuve would have been perfect as almost any Bond girl. Anthony Hopkins has made a very good Bond film, it´s called " When eight bells toll " with a extremly funny performance of Robert Morley as a kind of M called Uncle Arthur....and they had Bob Simmons, Vic Armstrong, Richard Graydon, George Leech and Peter Lamont working on it. 

And I´m in the Lewis Collins camp as well. Probably the biggest missed opportunity of the whole franchise....

Edited by Skylla, 04 February 2015 - 10:27 PM.

#7 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:10 AM

.I would very much want to see James Stewart as Bond, the way Fleming and the people involved in the early stages of TB kicked the idea around. I don't think at all the role would have suited him - I'm not even sure Fleming thought so; I suspect he just wanted a big name .

I've heard that the James Stewart Fleming wanted was the one who changed his name to Stewart Granger.

Not 100% sure if that's the case, but if you've seen films like King Solomon's Mines you might agree with the idea.

While I'm back, Carey Grant in GF, anyone?

#8 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:40 AM

Granger in his younger days also had a remarkable facial semblance to the young Fleming, so there would be a certain plausibility behind that.

However, reading Sellers' Battle for Bond recently the respective parts on the early stages of the project very much give the impression the priority for Fleming, Bryce and the others was on attracting Hollywood's big names, especially with Hitchcock. Sellers leaves little doubt it was indeed James Stewart they meant, not Granger. I suppose he studied the topic's details closely enough, so he wouldn't have missed if the actual reference had been to Granger; all the more so as Granger supposedly wasn't very well-known as Stewart and the example of Burton seems to indicate they very much wanted a top name. So on balance I suppose the details point in fact to Jimmy Stewart.

Cary Grant - great idea. Though I think the role would have turned out entirely different with him. He never really had that 'dangerous' vibe about him we associate with Bond. He might survive a knife attack by a Mexican killer, but I simply cannot imagine him killing the attacker with a punch to the throat. Or shooting anybody with a sniper rifle for that matter. Even in Notorious, where his role as handler of a female agent is perhaps closest to Bond, he doesn't come across as a cold and professionally detached agent in the way we'd expect Bond to be.

GF though might be the perfect fit for Grant, as Bond himself shows little initiative in that one and mainly stays alive by a mix of luck and wits. I could actually see him in that and it would have been fun.

#9 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:38 AM

Has anyone seen a rather amusing video on YouTube called "Mr No Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"? It is a spoof of Dr No, in which Patrick McGoohan stars as Bond, and (inevitably) at some point claims the director's chair as well - as he did from time to time in The Prisoner - to create a no sex, no guns, family friendly Bond movie.

It's a bit of a cut and paste job - stills only of scenes from the real Dr No, with Patrick McGoohan's head superimposed over Sean Connery's, with someone impersonating McGoohan doing  an audio commentary about the film. It features Burt Kwouk as the good doctor - it being considered "racist" to have cast a white actor to play a Chinese villain.

Needless to say, this "version" of the film sank without trace at the box office!

#10 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:47 AM

Has anyone seen a rather amusing video on YouTube called "Mr No Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"? It is a spoof of Dr No, in which Patrick McGoohan stars as Bond, and (inevitably) at some point claims the director's chair as well - as he did from time to time in The Prisoner - to create a no sex, no guns, family friendly Bond movie.

It's a bit of a cut and paste job - stills only of scenes from the real Dr No, with Patrick McGoohan's head superimposed over Sean Connery's, with someone impersonating McGoohan doing  an audio commentary about the film. It features Burt Kwouk as the good doctor - it being considered "racist" to have cast a white actor to play a Chinese villain.

Needless to say, this "version" of the film sank without trace at the box office!

Thanks, Guy! That was superb....  Particularly liked the tea break :D

How about Anthony Hopkins as Elliot Carver?

As i'm sure you all know it was originally Hopkins' role until the overshoot on MI:2 made him drop out of TND

#11 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

Glad you enjoyed that one. It doesn't detract from Patrick McGoohan's great work in Danger Man and The Prisoner, but I think he would have been uncomfortable, to put it mildly, as James Bond. John Drake and Number 6 (aka John Drake?) were as much drawn from McGoohan's personality traits as Bond was based on Fleming. (Although McGoohan claimed he wanted another actor to play Number 6, but it's hard to imagine anyone else doing it at the time of the original series.)

Back to the topic in hand though, I read somewhere that one reason Anthony Hopkins didn't play Carver was that he wasn't that thrilled about the TND script. Is that true?

A few suggestions for the thread. Orson Welles as Blofeld? Or, as "The Making Of On Her Majesty's Secret Service" suggests, Max Von Sydow cast as Blofeld in that film? Or, another casting which could have happened but didn't, Jack Palance as Scaramanga in TMWTGG.

(And I'm overlooking one genuine curiosity, again involving Blofeld - Jan Werich in YOLT. Just to see how he would have worked out - voice dubbed by Eric Pohlmann perhaps?)

#12 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

Hoagy Carmichael as Bond, generally, a young Garbo as Tatiana Romanova and Ursula Andress hanging around Piz Gloria, somehow. Rod Hull as Blofeld. Leiter is described as wearing a suit like Frank Sinatra, if not physically like him, but if that's the picture now in the head, might as well have him.

I've a feeling some other characters in the books are likened to the appearance of real people. Seem to have it in my head that in one of the Bensons, Bond is actually on-the-nose described as looking a bit like Sean Connery but I may have this wrong and letting an assumption of something Mr Benson might otherwise do, get nailed on as fact. Still, it's the internet, and that happens.

Hoagy Carmichael I'm serious about.

#13 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

...I read somewhere that one reason Anthony Hopkins didn't play Carver was that he wasn't that thrilled about the TND script. Is that true?

I've no idea, but he was doing MI:2 which made the TND script look like Harold bloody Pinter  ;)

#14 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:43 AM

Cary Grant - great idea. Though I think the role would have turned out entirely different with him. He never really had that 'dangerous' vibe about him we associate with Bond. He might survive a knife attack by a Mexican killer, but I simply cannot imagine him killing the attacker with a punch to the throat. Or shooting anybody with a sniper rifle for that matter. Even in Notorious, where his role as handler of a female agent is perhaps closest to Bond, he doesn't come across as a cold and professionally detached agent in the way we'd expect Bond to be.

You just describer Roger Moore.

So, How about Cary Grant in TMWTGG, OP or AVTAK?

#15 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:47 AM

I'm holding out for Idris Elba as Bond in *all* the films. :D

#16 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:32 AM

Even if this were remotely possible I'd still be against it on sheer principle. But since we're just talkin',

Dalton in OHMSS.

Also to give Laz his due, he can have the karate choppin' TMWTGG.

#17 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:32 AM

You just describer Roger Moore.

So, How about Cary Grant in TMWTGG, OP or AVTAK?

Hah! Fair enough, didn't even realise.

How about that old Ratoff idea to make Bond a vehicle for Susan Hayward? As Jane Bond in CR...

Oliver Reed would be tempting for many films. There once was a fan idea about Dirk Bogarde in MR, also interesting. And Jeremy Brett likewise seems a favourite with some so why not have him?

#18 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:13 AM

Rod Hull as Blofeld? Well, it would have been interesting seeing the dreaded head of SPECTRE stroking his pet emu before unleashing it on a hapless underling who had failed to "Keel Bond! NOW!!" Could have saved money by not having a shark pool or piranha tank. The "leccy" bill would also be less - no need for those electric chairs.

Final words of the hapless underling, BTW; "That b****y bird!", as a famous TV interviewer muttered under his breath after Emu gave him a mauling! 

On a more serious note, another suggestion for casting, from way back when - Sir C. Aubrey Smith as M. Wasn't he the actor Fleming had in mind as resembling him?

#19 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:16 AM

Don't say that wouldn't have been better than what we've had. The more I think of it, the more it pleaseth me.

#20 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:50 AM

Brings me to Lawrence Olivier for Bond. Ever since I read how Amis compared the character of Maxim de Winter to Bond I cannot help but think 'Bond' whenever I watch 'Rebecca'.

#21 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:12 AM

Here are some of my what-ifs:

Cary Grant as James Bond and Yul Brynner as Julius No in Dr. No

Alfred Hitchcock directing From Russia With Love

Raquel Welch as Domino Derval/Vitali and Anthony Quinn as Emilio Largo in Thunderball

Catherine Deneuve as Tracy di Vicenzo in On Her Majesty's Secret Service

George Lazenby as James Bond in Diamonds Are Forever

Ricardo Montalban as Francisco Scaramanga in The Man With The Golden Gun

Persis Khambatta as Octopussy Smythe in Octopussy

Steven Spielberg directing Never Say Never Again

Kim Cattrall as Stacey Sutton in A View To A Kill

Sam Neill as James Bond and Gene Hackman as Brad Whitaker in The Living Daylights

Anthony Hopkins as Alec Trevelyan in GoldenEye

Alan Rickman as Elliot Carver and Monica Bellucci as Paris Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies

Charlize Theron as Christmas Jones and John McTiernan directing in The World Is Not Enough

Hugh Jackman as James Bond in Casino Royale

Wolfgang Petersen directing Quantum Of Solace

#22 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:27 AM

Raquel Welch as Domino Derval/Vitali and Anthony Quinn as Emilio Largo in Thunderball

Sam Neill as James Bond and Gene Hackman as Brad Whitaker in The Living Daylights

Alan Rickman as Elliot Carver and Monica Bellucci as Paris Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies

Charlize Theron as Christmas Jones and John McTiernan directing in The World Is Not Enough

Not sure about the last 2, there, but the rest of those are inspired.

FRWL could hardly be any better, but the story is indeed the perfect vehicle for Hitchcock and Spielberg seems the perfect choice for NSNA - would've blown OP out of the water and possibly ended Eon's monopoly.

Most of all i like your villain choices. Yul Brynner as Dr No...! Now you've said it, it seems a total no-brainer - he'd have been perfect.

Quinn as Largo and Hackman as Whitaker instantly propel these movies into the highest echelons of the franchise.

Rickman as Carver - now that's a perfect fit and Bellucci as Paris - what an infinitely better film that would've been. I think even the CGI version featuring these actors would be a better movie than the original.  Thank god this kind of casting is what we're finally getting now with Bardem and Waltz.

Again, with Chalrize Theron and McTiernan directing TWINE is a far better prospect.

Really well done with those suggestions!

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 09 February 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#23 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:28 PM

Spielberg seems the perfect choice for NSNA - would've blown OP out of the water and possibly ended Eon's monopoly.

Not with the same script. Nobody could have done anything with it. Or perchance you think Spielberg's "Hook" is some unsung masterpiece?

#24 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:41 PM

Spielberg seems the perfect choice for NSNA - would've blown OP out of the water and possibly ended Eon's monopoly.

Not with the same script. Nobody could have done anything with it. Or perchance you think Spielberg's "Hook" is some unsung masterpiece?

Oh, in years to come they'll hail Hook as the greatest film of the 20th century.....

But seriously. Hook was '91. NSNA was in '83 at which time Spielberg was coming out of Indy and E.T., in arguably his best period (late 70s - early 80s). Give him his dream job of directing Bond and i think he'd have had a ball.

I know Kershner was no amatuer and also coming out of a cinematic classic (Empire Strikes Back), but really, who wouldn't want to see an early 80's Speilberg's Bond movie?

He's written Close Encounters and improvised himself into legend after the mechanical shark broke in Jaws, so he may have just made something better out of the script than Kershner did. And in truth the script isn't terrible; it's far better than OP's script, which was basically rehashing every other Bond cliche, with some Carry On gags for 'good' measure.

NSNA also has IMO the best Bond quip of all:

"You're all wet...."

"Yesh, but my Martini's shtill dry."

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 10 February 2015 - 08:44 PM.

#25 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:19 PM

Not sure about the last 2, there, but the rest of those are inspired.

FRWL could hardly be any better, but the story is indeed the perfect vehicle for Hitchcock and Spielberg seems the perfect choice for NSNA - would've blown OP out of the water and possibly ended Eon's monopoly.

Most of all i like your villain choices. Yul Brynner as Dr No...! Now you've said it, it seems a total no-brainer - he'd have been perfect.

Quinn as Largo and Hackman as Whitaker instantly propel these movies into the highest echelons of the franchise.

Rickman as Carver - now that's a perfect fit and Bellucci as Paris - what an infinitely better film that would've been. I think even the CGI version featuring these actors would be a better movie than the original.  Thank god this kind of casting is what we're finally getting now with Bardem and Waltz.

Again, with Chalrize Theron and McTiernan directing TWINE is a far better prospect.

Really well done with those suggestions!

Thanks for the kind words. Here are a few more "what if" villains for you.

Bette Davis as Rosa Klebb in From Russia With Love

Orson Welles as Auric Goldfinger in Goldfinger

Maximilian Schell as Hugo Drax in Moonraker

Franco Nero as Aris Kristatos in For Your Eyes Only

Ben Kingsley as Kamal Khan in Octopussy

Rutger Hauer as Max Zorin in A View To A Kill

Catherine Zeta-Jones as Elektra King in The World Is Not Enough

Jet Li as Tan-Sun Moon and Tim Roth as Gustav Graves in Die Another Day

#26 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

I'll give this a go:

Sean Bean as James Bond in GoldenEye

Liam Neeson as Alec Trevelyan in GoldenEye

Jennifer Garner as Jinx in Die Another Day

Gemma Arterton as Eve Moneypenny in Skyfall (with someone else taking her place in Quantum of Solace)

Sean Connery, Roger Moore, or Timothy Dalton as James Bond in On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Pierce Brosnan (directed by his choice of director) as James Bond in Casino Royale (just out of curiosity)

#27 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:52 AM

Gemma Arterton as Eve Moneypenny in Skyfall (with someone else taking her place in Quantum of Solace)

I was going to put forward Emily Blunt for a role in any of the Craig films, so perhaps we could just swap her in. I live in hope for BOND 25.

#28 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:12 PM

Ahhh, Don Logan himself, the great Ben Kingsley is someone i've long wanted for Bond.

And Rutger Hauer... My friends will attest that i've oft sang the sad song that Hauer's absence in the pantheon of Bond villain's is one of the greatest tragedies of the 20th century. But maybe it's not too late!

The other obvious absentee is Gary Oldman. With some great 'villainess actors' the problem is that they've already done it elsewhere, but Oldman is such a chameleon that it'd still be unique and iconic despite the dozens of villains he's already played. I read somewhere (Wikipedia i think, so who knows if it's true) that Oldman was approached for SPECTRE!

When i try and think of which Bond movie i might CGI him into it's always the one's with Blofeld. I'd see him in the Donald Pleasance guise - a big no no after Austin Powers, but i think Oldman would make it all his own and wipe our memories of Dr Evil.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 12 February 2015 - 03:15 PM.

#29 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:16 AM

Ahhh, Don Logan himself, the great Ben Kingsley is someone i've long wanted for Bond.

And Rutger Hauer... My friends will attest that i've oft sang the sad song that Hauer's absence in the pantheon of Bond villain's is one of the greatest tragedies of the 20th century. But maybe it's not too late!

The other obvious absentee is Gary Oldman. With some great 'villainess actors' the problem is that they've already done it elsewhere, but Oldman is such a chameleon that it'd still be unique and iconic despite the dozens of villains he's already played. I read somewhere (Wikipedia i think, so who knows if it's true) that Oldman was approached for SPECTRE!

When i try and think of which Bond movie i might CGI him into it's always the one's with Blofeld. I'd see him in the Donald Pleasance guise - a big no no after Austin Powers, but i think Oldman would make it all his own and wipe our memories of Dr Evil.

Here's the rest of the series with my alternative villains:

(Ernst Stavro Blofeld was played by three different actors so I will go with three different actors as well)

James Mason as Blofeld in You Only Live Twice

Laurence Olivier as Blofeld in On Her Majesty's Secret Service

George Sanders as Blofeld in Diamonds Are Forever

James Earl Jones as Ross "Mr. Big" Kananga in Live And Let Die

Max von Sydow as Karl Stromberg in The Spy Who Loved Me

Robert De Niro as Maximillian Largo in Never Say Never Again

Henry Silva as Franz Sanchez in Licence To Kill

Jean Reno as Le Chiffre in Casino Royale

Lambert Wilson as Dominic Greene in Quantum Of Solace

Alfred Molina as Raoul Silva in Skyfall

and...

Gary Oldman as Viktor "Renard" Zokas in The World Is Not Enough

#30 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:07 PM

Great choices, again.

Olivier would've been a fantastic Blofeld. I think he might've had a ball with the cross-dressing in DAF.

De Niro would've been a hoot as Largo, particularly at that point in his career.

And Oldman would be be superb as just about any Bond villain (apparently he was in talks for SPECTRE at some point!). Max Zorin seems a good fit for Oldman (though nothing can top The Walken).

Oldman would've been great as Renard, but for me Robert Carlyle  could've been just as great. But since the character was so wasted - becoming a pointless side show after such a good build up in the first act (much like Hardy in Dark Knight Rises, who too was ultimately a woman's toothless puppet) i think Oldman would've done no better than Carlyle in that panto part.