This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Moonraker Complete Score Official Kickstarter!

78 replies to this topic

#61 Berni99

Berni99

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

Why not get money together to find and release the complete original score?

Yeah, totaly agree, the Original Score from TSWLM, Expanded Scores from AVTAK, OP, LTK, TMWTGG and MR.

From MR, i have the Complete Score from gkgyver, and i'm very happy with this Edition.

Edited by Berni99, 19 January 2015 - 09:51 PM.

#62 Club James Bond France

Club James Bond France

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

this is the real story about the missing tracks from Moonraker. I've phoned myself Studios Davout who confirmed me the following... What a wast and shame ! :

Stephane Lerouge, the head Universal Jazz soundtracks in France in the collection "Ecoutez le cinema", gave a long and very interesting interview for the french website UNDERSCORES (in order to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of their 1st release. Among many things, he talks about MOONRAKER. This is what he says : 

" in 1992, I attended a recording session in the Studio Davout in Paris where the MOONRAKER soundtrack had been recorded. The Film had been shot and edited in France because it was a French co-production. The tapes had been stored in Davout and, some 15 years ago, Davout sent a series of letters to producers and music editors saying "Some time ago, you worked in Davout and we have a room filled with tapes. Maybe some of them belong to you. If you do not claim them within 3 months, the unclaimed tapes will be destroyed". Some composers like Vladimir Cosma or Claude Bolling, ran to Davout in order to save their tapes. And this how the Moonraker tapes disappeared : Nobody at MGM went there to get them. But did the MGM executives receive the letter from Davout? I don't know. Because in the midtime, UA had closed their offices in Paris and their catalogue had been tranfered to MGM. This how Moonraker remains one of Barry's last Holy Graal, but still an unreachable Graal. The only thing we ca hope for, is a re-recording."

Edited by Club James Bond France, 19 January 2015 - 11:16 PM.

#63 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:13 PM

And we have 25,000 pounds.

#64 Club James Bond France

Club James Bond France

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

And we have 25,000 pounds.

Hello The Cat, as you appears to know your subject what is this about ? Thanks

https://elitesoundtr...products_id=729

#65 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

Funded :)

#66 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:48 PM

Hello The Cat, as you appears to know your subject what is this about ? Thanks

It's a fan made bootleg, a combination of the original soundtrack in almost chronological order, the Nic Raine recordings, DVD rip and completely unrelated material to pad out the running length (The so-called Moonraker Overture, which is just an instrumental cover made by Richard Haiman).

#67 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:49 PM

If I had to guess, thats a DVD rip complete with sfx. The "bonus" material comes from other releases.

#68 Club James Bond France

Club James Bond France

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:56 PM

ok thanks a lot ;-) so it is a kind of audio dvd rip without the sfx using a downmix or something of that kind...

#69 # 11

# 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:23 AM

What the heck?

James Fitzpatrick says:

Dear Everyone  It is with great regret that I have to cancel this Kickstarter project before any funds are taken. Certain rights issues have been raised which might mean protracted negotiations with the companies involved which may well go beyond the end of the project. I would sincerely like to thank everyone for their involvement in the project and if negotiations are successful then I have the knowledge that there is a great demand for this title. Thank you for all your hard word. Jame

Edited by # 11, 21 January 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#70 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:43 AM

[Benefit of hindsight post] Well, it never seemed entirely clear whether the right to do this had ever been secured. Shouldn't really have been asking people for money (even if not paid over) until that was 100% certain.

#71 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

Bloody disappointing.  I was hoping for a complete MOONRAKER score.  Tadlow is great at re-recording scores - but according to them, the project isn´t dead and will be funded by them now should the legal problems be solved.

Question is: who threw this off?  EON?  They don´t care about score releases, one might suspect.  The Barry estate?  Well, they allowed Tadlow to re-record other Barry scores before.

Or is a complete box set of all Bond scores planned for release in the fall when SPECTRE is out?

#72 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:58 AM

Alternatively someone's seen the demand there was for this and has decided to commercially exploit the rights themselves having not bothered to this point. Let others do your market research for you, then take the advantage yourself.

This is speculation and asserted no higher than that.

#73 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

Realy dissapointing! It was too good to be true.

So let's hope now for an expanded original recording!

Edited by Grard Bond, 21 January 2015 - 10:28 AM.

#74 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

Alternatively someone's seen the demand there was for this and has decided to commercially exploit the rights themselves having not bothered to this point. Let others do your market research for you, then take the advantage yourself.

This is speculation and asserted no higher than that.

But it feels so true.

#75 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

Or.... we have no interest at all to release an expanded score, but we also do not want (read: grant/allow) someone else to release it.

#76 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:26 PM

There is another angle. It could be there are no issues at all and they were simply using kickstarter to see if there was any interest. Seems strange they wouldnt know all of the rights details before starting the campaign....especially since they have done these sort of bond re-recordings for years.

The campaign was hastily put together, the updates were a joke, and the details were fairly light. Either way, I sincerely hope this release sees the light of day.

#77 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

There is another angle. It could be there are no issues at all and they were simply using kickstarter to see if there was any interest. Seems strange they wouldnt know all of the rights details before starting the campaign....especially since they have done these sort of bond re-recordings for years.

As you say, bit odd for there to be an issue if stuff like Bond Back in Action was previously okay.

#78 Leo R.

Leo R.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

What really bugs me about all this, is the weird notion that the crap sound quality of the Moonraker soundtrack is somehow supposedly due to the fact that it was recorded at Davout. As if a French studio wasn't able to record music properly. Just listen from any Vladimir Cosma soundtrack from the same era and you'll hear it sounds as crisp and clear as you could wish. So probably the original recording of the Moonraker score was perfect, but somehow it has been distorted because something went terribly wrong in the process of getting copies of the tapes to the UK (or wherever the film and soundtrack album were assembled).

Oh and by the way, I'm quite sure that the carnival music in the film (two seperate pieces) is by Barry, or at least arranged and recorded by him. One clue is the sound quality, which is as bad as the other music :-) And otherwise, The Cat surely would have found out from which stock music library they were licenced.

Edited by Leo R., 18 February 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#79 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

I would like to get an update on the situation.  Fitzpatrick claimed that the project was only delayed.