This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Moonraker Complete Score Official Kickstarter!

78 replies to this topic

#1 YoYoBoy19

YoYoBoy19

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

That's right guys, it's 100 percent official! By James Fitzpatrick and Tadlow themselves! They're trying to raise 25,000 euros to fund the rerecording. This is the real deal! I know Moonraker has been on one of my top five most wanted complete scores for a while. Here is the link to the official thread at Filmscoremonthly's forum.

http://filmscoremont...07664&archive=0

You can donate 1 euro or fifteen! It's really all up to you.

Here is the quick link to the actual kickstarter -

https://www.kickstar...rding?ref=email

Edited by YoYoBoy19, 10 January 2015 - 02:41 PM.

#2 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

Lovely idea; thanks Peter. So what's missing from the released soundtrack? I know the quality isn't super sharp but it's not too bad.

#3 Cinnamon Buns

Cinnamon Buns

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the info.

Just pledged,& apparently your card doesn't get charged until (and if) the total is reached.

Pledges over £20 also gets you the CD!

#4 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

I really want this - so I backed this!

#5 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

This should be a must-back for every Bond fan, One of Barry's greatest scores and around 50% of the music not on the soundtrack album...

#6 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

Now now, let's not post false rumours. There's about eight or nine minutes of unreleased Barry material missing from the album. :)

#7 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:35 PM

Ofcourse not, there's much more missing.... at least 20 minutes:

the gunbarrel and teasermusic (incl. hijack shuttle & freefall)

Drax estate

centrifuge (expanded)

Bond & Corinne

Finding safe

Venini Glassworks

Gondola chase

Cable car animalband music

Escape shuttle launch chamber

Deltaconstruction escape

Space music expanded

Here's to us

Destroying the globes

and additional music like the theme from The magnificent Seven, Romeo and Juliet and the Strauss Tritsch-tratsch Polka which are not Barry compositions.

Edited by Grard Bond, 10 January 2015 - 11:59 PM.

#8 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:42 PM

Ah... Shall we wager a bet on who is closer to the number? ;) Hint: A couple of the tracks you listed are on the official soundtrack.

Edited by The Cat, 10 January 2015 - 11:48 PM.

#9 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:53 PM

I have made for myself a cd with an almost complete score with music taken from Youtube etc and I have between 15 and 20 minutes of extra score, ofcourse not always in the best quality and I could not find everything I was searching for. So yeah, I gonna win that bet of your's very, very easy.

And no they are not on the official soundtrack.

But.... my problem is:

as a huge Moonrakerfan I don't want a rerecording, I want the complete ORIGINAL score from a cd label like La la land or Intrada.

Edited by Grard Bond, 11 January 2015 - 12:30 AM.

#10 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

I have made for myself a cd with an almost complete score with music taken from Youtube etc and I have between 15 and 20 minutes of extra score, ofcourse not always in the best quality and I could not find everything I was searching for. So yeah, I gonna win that bet of your's very, very easy.

And I have the actual music. And cue sheets with timing. And I've written extensively about Moonraker and Bond music. And not counting repetition of the same cues, it clocks just about 10 minutes give or take a few seconds. :) With the non-Barry stuff, it is about 12 minutes.

This Kickstarter campaign is an interesting experiment, especially with all the frenzy surrounding it. Should it succeed, it will bring in a new era of score releases...

#11 agentbug

agentbug

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:02 AM

Thanks for the heads up - pledged! A little something to look forward to if it pans out. Fingers crossed...

#12 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:04 AM

Ofcourse you don't have the actual music. It's lost, at least for now.  If you have it, please get it released.

And don't forget that a lot of times the actual music, with a composer has composed, is longer than what you are hearing in a movie and maybe there are a couple of alternate takes too.

Edited by Grard Bond, 11 January 2015 - 12:55 AM.

#13 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:07 AM

Ofcourse you don't have the actual music. It's lost, at least for now.  And if you have it, please get it released.

Yes, I have legal clearance to release the music. :D Unfortunately that's not so easy. :)

#14 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:12 AM

Is it realy the ORIGINAL score, or rerecorded?

Maybe you can come into contact with La la land or Intrada. They will know what to do.

Edited by Grard Bond, 11 January 2015 - 12:13 AM.

#15 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:20 AM

Nope, thanks. :)

Anyway, here's a complete list of the missing music with very GENEROUS timings

Gunbarrel 0:23
Hijacking 0:43
Freefall 1:30
Circus Music 0:20
Chateau Drax 0:45
Centrifuge Open 0:40
Venini Glass I 00:30
Venini Glass II 00:35
Bondola Chase 2:15
Strauss Polka* 0:30
Romeo and Juliet* 0:50
The Magnificent Seven* 0:45
Landing 0:20
Chamber Escape 0:20
Nasa Launch 0:28
Zero Gravity 1:12
Here's to Us 0:53
Destroying the Globes 0:35 (same cue twice)
Finale 0:15

So there's about 12 minutes of original music, including repeated cues.

* denotes non-Barry composition.

Edited by The Cat, 11 January 2015 - 12:20 AM.

#16 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:30 AM

Thanks for your list.

But you are missing:

Bond in Corrine's room and finding Drax safe. Ofcourse it's the Moonraker theme, but it sounds different than the "Miss Goodhead meets Bond" version.

The music with that carnaval animalband (with is probably longer than what you are hearing in the movie)

Edited by Grard Bond, 11 January 2015 - 12:32 AM.

#17 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:34 AM

Thanks for your list.

But you are missing:

Bond in Corrine's room and finding Drax safe. Ofcourse it's the Moonraker theme, but it sounds different than the "Bond meets Holly" version.

The music with that carnaval animalband (with is probably longer than what you are hearing in the movie)

The finding the safe music is the second half of the track "Bond Meets Goodhead". It was simply put there.

The track contains two cues, there's a pause at about 1:15.

The first cue plays in two places. Bond meets Corrine (faded out at about t:00)

It plays another time at the moment the track title impies - in the Venice hotel room.

The secound cue after the break is the one played during the safe sequence.

The carnival band music wasn't recorded with the rest of the score.

#18 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:43 AM

Wow! I didn't know this, so I had actual that music for years. Thanks for explaining this to me.

The carnivalband music was also the only cue I realy couldn't find anywhere.

#19 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:42 AM

Seriously, The Cat really knows his stuff, and I trust everything he comments on regarding soundtrack music, not just Bond music.

BTW, thanks for the missing cue track list, The Cat.

#20 YoYoBoy19

YoYoBoy19

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:17 AM

The point of the score getting a rerecording isn't necessarily about how much music is missing, it's what music is missing. It's also a great way to bring the score back for the modern day fans with a modern day sound. A lot of the missing cues albiet a lot or a little (Freefall being a big one) is something people have really wanted. In my opinion it's one of Barry's best reinditions of the James Bond Theme.

Now, Cat, I believe I've seen you say that the original score recording of Moonraker is safe and sound. Well that's fine and all, but there won't be a release of that any time soon. So for a lot of us, this is the best we can get.

Thank you for the track break down though. I'm really excited about this and hope it takes off. They're already over 5,000 euros pledged. They added new perks. The first five people to pledge a thousand euros gets to sit in on the recording sessions with their hotel cost paid for! Pledging a hundred euros gets you a signed copy by conducter Nic Raine!

Edited by YoYoBoy19, 11 January 2015 - 06:22 AM.

#21 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

I would settle for a re recorded version. I know that the City of Prague orchestra has released the "Freefall" cue, but I would love to have the "Hijacking" cue as well.

I will now dig under my couch cushions for some spare change and get back to you.

Edited by dtuba, 11 January 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#22 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:58 PM

TAKE.  MY.  MONEY.   Pledged.

Make no mistake that this is a RE-RECORDING.  If you're worried about the quality of this project, be sure to check out Raines awesome Conan the Barbarian complete re-recording,  Very well done and true to the original Poledouris material (complete with the correct epic brass section size).  Besides, this will be our only chance to own the complete score.... and a really well recorded version of it at that.

Rather than arguing over the tidbits missing from the original release, why not help spread the word so we can get this funded instead?

#23 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

I will pledge to this but there is also the cue at the cable car which sounds like a lot like "Statue Dance" from "Deadfall". Probably just thought of as background music but definitely a Barry composition.

Like "Airport Source" and "Whyte House" from Diamonds Are Forever, I suspect this was only a small section from the track.

For the rest of the score, the director may well have only used part of the music for the final film. Of course we can only guess at what the extended tracks were.

#24 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

For the rest of the score, the director may well have only used part of the music for the final film. Of course we can only guess at what the extended tracks were.

Everything was used, with the exception of two portions from "Flight Into Space" (which are on the soundtrack, not in the film).

#25 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

TAKE.  MY.  MONEY.   Pledged.

Make no mistake that this is a RE-RECORDING.  If you're worried about the quality of this project, be sure to check out Raines awesome Conan the Barbarian complete re-recording,  Very well done and true to the original Poledouris material (complete with the correct epic brass section size).  Besides, this will be our only chance to own the complete score.... and a really well recorded version of it at that.

Rather than arguing over the tidbits missing from the original release, why not help spread the word so we can get this funded instead?

Thank you!  My thoughts exactly!

#26 New Digs

New Digs

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:16 PM

I think it's a testament to Barry as a composer that there are only very short cues that remain unreleased. Some of the cues probably feel a lot longer that they actually are in the heads of many a die hard Bond fan, including me. I am very surprised the zero gravity track is only one minute twelve seconds. It feels as though it should be longer. It shows how bloody good and powerful Barry's short cues are and that over thirty years later there is still a demand for what is only an extra ten minutes of music. Incredible really IMO.

#27 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

Why not get money together to find and release the complete original score?

The rerecording of Conan is probably very nice, but can't beat my 3 cd with the original score from Intrada.

The "freefall" recording for example was well done, but not exactly the same as the movie version, also too fast.

Edited by Grard Bond, 11 January 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#28 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

It's my understanding that the original Paris recordings were either lost or destroyed.  On top of that, it's widely known the recording quality is fairly terrible... so this is really our only option.

As for freefall, my guess would be this new recording will be much closer to the original in sound and speed.  The Conan 2 CD release for example sounds WAY better and closer to the original material than Raines previous re-recordings of cues and motifs from the series.  I'm confident this release will be a great representation of the Moonraker score... of course to each their own.  But for me, this is a score that I've been wanting in completed / remastered form for a long time so backing was a no brainer.

... by the way, you're very right.  The Intrada release of the actual Conan score is of course far superior than any re-recording, but the re-recording was the only option several years ago.

The campaign has gone from roughly 6.5 K to over 10k in the last several hours with 28 days left.  This is so happening.

#29 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:53 PM

It's my understanding that the original Paris recordings were either lost or destroyed.  On top of that, it's widely known the recording quality is fairly terrible... so this is really our only option.

As for freefall, my guess would be this new recording will be much closer to the original in sound and speed.  The Conan 2 CD release for example sounds WAY better and closer to the original material than Raines previous re-recordings of cues and motifs from the series.  I'm confident this release will be a great representation of the Moonraker score... of course to each their own.  But for me, this is a score that I've been wanting in completed / remastered form for a long time so backing was a no brainer.

Yes, I must admit that that version of Freefall I found to be a bit rubbish, so I hope they have improved a bit.

#30 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

Why not get money together to find and release the complete original score?

Okay, let's get one thing straight. Releasing the original tracks is not about money. You can release a score if you don't have money. You can even release a score if the master tapes are lost. But you CAN NOT release a score if you can not legally clear it. I mean you can, but then it's called a bootleg.

At this moment, the only way you can legally get this music is through a re-recording. And please don't come up with clever solutions, we've been there done all that.

The second thing is Freefall and other previous Prague/Bond recordings - some of those were done over 20(!) years ago for a compilation of Bond hits. Please don't compare the new recordings to that. The Prague players became much better in the past 20 years. Please use something more recent like the Conan recordings or El Cid as a reference point of what you can expect with this team.