51 replies to this topic

#31 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:33 AM

A stupid, silly, OTT SPECTRE would still be higher in my rankings than 60% of all other Bonds simply because of the talent involved. Heck, by November I'll be ready for a remake of DAD as long as Craig's in it.

#32 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:07 AM

Heck, by November I'll be ready for a remake of DAD as long as Craig's in it.

I wouldn't go that far!  :)

#33 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:32 AM

Yeah, give it the boot, not a reboot.

#34 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

Shh, don't ruin the twist... ;)

#35 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:45 AM

OK. maybe not....

#36 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:36 AM

I doubt you'll ever see a reboot of DAD. Comrade Kim will have the hackers on the case faster than you can say "Spectre" ;)

#37 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:38 AM

Yeah, give it the boot, not a reboot.

Eh, if Sam Mendes is directing....  ;)

#38 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:34 AM

Going slightly off topic, and absolutely NO Spectre spoilers involved - anyone out there seen the Mike Myers introduction to Saturday Night Live recently? It features Sam Smith suddenly interrupted by a certain evil super-villain, complete with Mr Bigglesworth, holding forth on the Sony/North Korea situation. I caught it on YouTube last night. I thought it was "Hil-g****m-arious". :)

#39 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:01 PM

"I mean, what the 'f' people?!?" It was great!

#40 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:39 PM

I've been a Bond fan almost 20 years, I still do not think they have made a film as good as GE.

#41 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

i couldn't rank a film i havn't seen.

#42 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

On paper this film is perfect.

a ski chase

Ski chase? What ski chase?

#43 __7

__7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing if Andrew Scott really plays just a Tanner type character or if it's a surprise and he turns out to be Blofeld.  He is great as Moriarty, another classic baddie.

QoS.  I think they learned their lesson from rushing a movie without their first choice as a director and a finished script.  And at $250M rumored budget, I think it's going to be, um, ... big.  Hopefully in a good way.

For a rushed script it turned out well.  I watched QoS again the other day for the first time in a year or so and it was even better than I remembered.  I still don't get why people didn't like it.  Ah well.  Agree with Spectre (what's the abbreviation going to be?) being big...not to worry.  I think they can afford it.

#44 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:33 PM

I don't dislike QoS at all.  Its plot and scene to scene transitions don't have the holes that Skyfall does.  But most agree CR and SF are better. I'm not expecting Spectre to be the best, but probably ranked 2nd or 3rd of the Craig films.

Edited by Professor Pi, 28 December 2014 - 06:36 PM.

#45 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:30 AM

It's going to be hard for any Craig film to recapture the pure energy and point to prove mindset of CR. But Skyfall came close. I think SPECTRE will be a good movie, it just depends how good.

#46 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:47 PM

I just want to get this in first, before any reviews get written in November saying the same thing:

I exSPECT this film will be SPECTacular

(or, as Alistair on As Time Goes By would say, "Spectacular with a capital SPECT.")

Just watch. You'll see.

(I mean, about reviewers saying the same thing.)

(...and about the film, of course.)

#47 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

I think sharpshooter is right about CR. Also, from the opening moments one could tell it was rather different in some respects from what went before. The black and white opening scenes, the violence - as one reviewer put it, from that point on it was obvious that "this ain't your Daddy's Bond".

Spectre will find it difficult to recreate that ambiance because we are by now used to Daniel Craig's Bond and the way the films reflect his take on the role. We know what to expect - or we think we do. What I hope we don't see is an attempt to "out-Skyfall" Skyfall. We saw that approach too often in the earlier Bond period. Spectre should stand on its own individual merit as a Bond film, not as an attempt to be "bigger and better" than its predecessor. Bigger isn't always better.

#48 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:19 PM

I think SPECTRE will contain similar beats to Skyfall given Mendes is returning. That would be fine with me, as long as the new content is good and different to what has come before. I wouldn't be surprised if Mendes topped Skyfall. He has that experience under his belt and knows what worked and what didn't. 

#49 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:55 PM

What I hope we don't see is an attempt to "out-Skyfall" Skyfall. We saw that approach too often in the earlier Bond period. Spectre should stand on its own individual merit as a Bond film, not as an attempt to be "bigger and better" than its predecessor. Bigger isn't always better.

Without getting into specifics or discussing spoilers, I do wonder come November how many "curse of the fourth film" threads will appear across the net - and by curse, I don't mean because people don't necessarily dislike the film but because of certain traits it shares with other fourth Bond films. Every Bond actor also has one film that becomes known as his "greatest highlights package." I wonder if SPECTRE will wear that laurel.

I think it will be a good but flawed film. The script lets it down. Three disparate ideas they want to explore, none of which gets developed terribly well. Easily in my top ten but not my top five.

#50 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:12 AM

I have to admit the "fourth film" view has occurred to me. It seems that when the series gets to number four with a particular actor the producers and writers want to push the envelope further - particularly if, as with TSWLM in the 1970s and SF in 2012, the third film was a box office triumph. With Spectre the idea, from what we've been told by the film makers, is to push certain themes developed in SF, as opposed to basically reworking the plot of the previous film, as happened with MR following TSWLM.

Without wishing to quote spoilers, I wonder how you can develop themes from SF in Spectre? SF always struck me as a glorious one-off, and I'd assumed that Bond 24 would revert to type and continue the Bond-v-Quantum arc, which in a way it is doing.

We shall know in November, of course.

#51 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:09 AM

I am really hoping that SPECTRE will be a continuation of what was established in Skyfall. I hope they don't go too far, like a Moonraker.

So far, SPECTRE has a definite OHMSS-FYEO feel to it, based on photos I have seen.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#52 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:55 PM

From everything that has been released so far, I'm getting a very good feeling about SPECTRE. I dare say, it's a better feeling than I had for Skyfall.