40 replies to this topic

#31 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:41 AM

I'd be fine with a few gadgets. A tricked out Aston Martin on the level of say, TLD as opposed to DAD. I think it's OK for Bond to go a little over the top this time.

Just no Bondola's or double-taking anything.

#32 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:09 AM

Yes, that is a good point. I enjoy the car in TLD. The cars in DAD are ridiculous - including using the ejector seat to flip the car back over!!

#33 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:31 AM

Actually, I thought the utilizing of the ejector seat to flip the Aston back was one of the coolest bits in the sequence.

#34 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:44 AM

Actually, I thought the utilizing of the ejector seat to flip the Aston back was one of the coolest bits in the sequence.

Hear, hear!

#35 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:16 AM

I agree - not everything in DAD is worthy of condemnation. 

#36 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:25 PM

One of the bits of DAD I enjoyed.

#37 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

I prefer practical mechanical gadgets, or of low electronics, like a shoe with a knife, or an exploding pen/briefcase. The ones I definitely donĀ“t like are those with a digital display of some sorts - best left for low budget sci-fi flicks. 

#38 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

I'd be fine with a few gadgets. A tricked out Aston Martin on the level of say, TLD as opposed to DAD. I think it's OK for Bond to go a little over the top this time.

Just no Bondola's or double-taking anything.

I think TLD is probably a good touchstone for the level of gadgetry we're going to see in general - the equipment is still more prevalent and outlandish than anything previously seen in Craig's era, but things like the booby-trapped keyfob and the Aston's capacity to drive on snow/ice are pretty within the realm of what I, at least, would like to see here.

Heck, now that I think about it, Dalton's Aston might be my favorite Bond car of that era.

#39 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

Another thought about gadgets is their intended use vs.what Bond does with it. Much like the Aston flip, it was a great improv at the moment. Also, I've enjoyed it when a gadget has appeared without it being disclosed prior but all of it being in the realm of "Well of course 007 would have that."

The laser cutting watch in GE springs to mind as does the bezel cutting through his ropes in LALD. The piton/line unit in TWINE was just a bit too convenient.

Yes, a device designed for a purpose but alternately being used for another. Showcasing both the gadget yet also Bond's ingenuity. Have to give it some thought.

#40 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

Perhaps, like in OHMSS, Bond has all the gadgets he needs.

#41 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:26 AM

Perhaps, like in OHMSS, Bond has all the gadgets he needs.

Damn cat...No more catnip toys for you this Christmas.  :dry:

Had a idea about Bond being pursued (foot chase) and he's got a lead on the bastards. On a stairwell, he uses a line/piton device to either secure and tie off a door so they can't follow or set up a tripwire and (depending on how many) waits for them the come charging after him, snares/trips them up sending them tumbling and then strikes when they're down before continuing on.

Looking back on the thread, what about an e-cigarette that's actually a taser. Purely a one shot deal, but just enough to jab a bloke and light him up with about 100K volts. Alternatively, used to short out a fuse box or via an outlet, knock out the lights.