73 replies to this topic

#1 bonded56

bonded56

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

Besides the hole with cracks representing the old Spectre logo, could it represent the bullet hole in the windshield that killed Tracy in OHMSS?

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:09 PM

I've seen the photo around a lot today. I can see the comparison quite clearly, nice call! It could be, but even though I feel that Spectre may be some kind of spiritual remake to On Her Majesty's Secret Service, it won't be to the Tracy extent. It feels too soon for Bond to fall in love again. 

#3 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

With a film called SPECTRE and the events that lead up to the end of OHMSS, the similarities between these images cannot possibly be coincidental. 

pEaVyNz.jpg

#4 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

Edit: Basically the same as Shrubland's post...

#5 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

Foreshadowing for Bond 25.

#6 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:48 PM

I think given the nature of this thread and the sort of speculation it is bound to contain, it should probably be moved to the spoiler section.

As it is, there is very little more that can be added. 

#7 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:56 PM

The moment I saw the poster the bullet hole was obvious and I thought of OHMSS. It will be interesting to see how they will handle this. A few thoughts:

1) It could be that Bond will begin to fall in love again and that his new love will be shot by the end of the movie. So I don't think marriage is needed. Maybe we even find Bond at the beginning of the movie already falling in love. 

2) It was mentioned that there was something from Bond's past that will come up. Could it be that a previous significant of other of Bond was shot and Bond finds out it was Bloefeld? I see this as a possibility but it worries me a lot. I think if they go this route it could easily be a disaster. I am assuming under this scenario it was in Bond's pre-double O days and my question would be why would Bloefeld do this? 

3) My own point of view would be that if they are going to kill Tracy (or another significant other) they need to do it this film and then have Bond deal with Bloefeld in the next movie. Right now, Craig is slated to close out his time as Bond in Bond 25 and I really think it would be a depressing ending to his final film. Personally I think he could go on for 2 or even 3 more but would want them to be certain of that now. 

4) If Bloefeld is not dealt with until the next film, please have the actor signed to play the character signed up for 2 films.  

5) My 2 cents - You can make a lot of changes to the Bloefeld mythology but I don't think one of them should be making Bloefeld a woman. I have no problem with female enemies.... just not that character. For me it would be akin to making Moneypenny a man. 

#8 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

Vesper Lynd is the Tracy of this timeline.

#9 mdileo007

mdileo007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:01 PM

Is Madeleine Swann the Rebooted era's Tracy?

Setting up B25 as "Shatterhand?"  Is this the 2-film arc that Logan first proposed?

Of course, supposedly it was pared down to a one film story, so who knows?  But the teaser poster all but screams "Tracy."

#10 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:13 PM

I think the bullet hole in the poster is clearly meant to be through a sheet of glass and it is the windscreen of a car that would most usually look like that after a gunshot. 

Once you have put that many things together with a SPECTRE octopus, it has to represent the death of Tracy in Bond lore.  

I am coming round to the idea that Franz Oberhauser will simply turn out to be a cover name during production, that that person will never be mentioned in the film.

Waltz will be Blofeld, plain and simple.

Once you start thinking along those lines, perhaps other names are also cover names too. 

#11 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:16 PM

Hopefully Hinx is a cover name.

#12 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:28 PM

Is it much of a stretch that Monica Bellucci is in fact playing a rebooted Contessa Teresa di Vicenzo or Teresa "Tracy" Draco?

#13 mdileo007

mdileo007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:37 PM

Is it much of a stretch that Monica Bellucci is in fact playing a rebooted Contessa Teresa di Vicenzo or Teresa "Tracy" Draco?

It's not a stretch. But I think it is more likley that Lea Seydoux is Tracy.

Did you see the interview with her yesterday?  She went on about how her character is very fragile in the beginning and then becomes more masculine as the film progresses, while Bond becomes more feminine.  Does this not sound like Tracy and Bond from OHMSS?

#14 Logie

Logie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:40 PM

I wonder if they'll recreate Tracy's death scene with Craig and another actress, then present it as a flashback. It works in the Batman films whenever they need to show how Wayne's parents died (sorry if I just spoiled Batman for anyone!).

#15 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

Hopefully Hinx is a cover name.

I think Hinx is a fantastic name! Keep it!

#16 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:17 PM

Tell you what: someone should get the Tracy description from OHMSS book. If my memory´s still working fine in a Friday night, I´d say Lea is spot on, isn´t she?

Conspiracy theory? Paranoia? Maybe. But it´s Friday ;)

#17 mdileo007

mdileo007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

Tell you what: someone should get the Tracy description from OHMSS book. If my memory´s still working fine in a Friday night, I´d say Lea is spot on, isn´t she?

Conspiracy theory? Paranoia? Maybe. But it´s Friday ;)

I've read the book several times, but I can't remember the physical description of Tracy.  But I do seem to remember that this is the book that Bond visits Vesper's grave.  Someone can correct me if my memory is wrong.

Let's also remember -- when Mendes and Logan we're doing the press rounds for SF, they both talked about how they went back to the last 3 bond novels -- OHMSS, YOLT and TMWTGG to develop the themes for SF -- that of an aging agent who comes back from the dead and must prove himself again.

It's not a stretch that they were both engaged and inspired by these novels and thats what let to the 2-part story idea for SF's follow-up.  One of them must have said, "hey, let's re-imagine OHMSS and YOLT with Daniel Craig, wouldn't that be great?"

#18 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

They're not going to bother pseudo-remaking On Her Majesty's Secret Service when all the pieces of the jigsaw are already in place.

Blofeld was the head of Quantum. 

Mr. White is the only person still alive who knows who Blofeld is and can identify him.

Bond either tracks down or agrees to meet Mr. White. But SPECTRE gets to White first and Bond finds him dying. White imparts cryptic message to Bond, which eventually leads him to Blofeld, and croaks.

Vesper Lynd was to be killed on Blofeld's orders, and died because of her connection to him.

Vesper Lynd = Tracy Bond.

Bond sets out to take down SPECTRE and avenge Vesper's death.

Bond 25/26: You Only Live Twice plotline.

#19 mdileo007

mdileo007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:33 PM

They're not going to bother pseudo-remaking On Her Majesty's Secret Service when all the pieces of the jigsaw are already in place.

Mr. White is the only person still alive who knows who Blofeld is and can identify him.

Bond either tracks down or agrees to meet Mr. White. But SPECTRE gets to White first and Bond finds him dying. White imparts cryptic message to Bond, which eventually leads him to Blofeld, and croaks.

Vesper Lynd was killed on Blofeld's orders.

Could be.  And I agree that Blofeld was either the head of Quantum or at least a Dominic Greene level operative who has created SPECTRE out of the ashes of Quantum.

But this thread is about the bullet hole in the teaser poster.  It just strikes me that they are trying to tell us something with it. It looks too much like the last shot of OHMSS to be a coincidence.  That would foreshadow that we have not met the new "Tracy" yet

#20 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:02 PM

Alternatively;

The bullet hole graphic has nothing to do with the death of a reimaged Tracy, or Tracy substitute within Spectre (the film!) in the form of either leading lady, but is a stylised image which vaguely resembles the infamous octopus logo from the 1960s Bond films and is intended to reinforce - as if it's necessary - the line that Bond is facing a classic but reimagined adversary in this movie.

I rather like it, and the typeface used for the title. As for the title, when Skyfall was announced I thought it "so,so" but it grew on me. I have no such feelings about Spectre - I liked it from the outset.

#21 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:35 PM

Vesper Lynd was to be killed on Blofeld's orders, and died because of her connection to him.

I´d say this seems very likely indeed 

The bullet hole graphic has nothing to do with the death of a reimaged Tracy, or Tracy substitute within Spectre (the film!) in the form of either leading lady, but is a stylised image which vaguely resembles the infamous octopus logo from the 1960s Bond films and is intended to reinforce - as if it's necessary - the line that Bond is facing a classic but reimagined adversary in this movie.

I rather like it, and the typeface used for the title. As for the title, when Skyfall was announced I thought it "so,so" but it grew on me. I have no such feelings about Spectre - I liked it from the outset.

Agreed with all of this. I don´t think they are consciously using the imagery to remind us of Tracy. But I have to agree with RD on this point: all the pieces of the puzzle are already set in place. They won´t remake OHMSS. That doesn´t mean they won´t use it for inspiration, imagery and plot wise. Who knows?

#22 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:07 AM

I brought this up yesterday in the Fan Art thread, but I think it's absolutely a nod to On Her Majesty's Secret Service, no question about it.

#23 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:11 AM

I brought this up yesterday in the Fan Art thread, but I think it's absolutely a nod to On Her Majesty's Secret Service, no question about it.

Yes, I'd been looking for your post and couldn't find it.

The idea hadn't crossed my mind until I saw that, but you're clearly right on the money.

Such a simple poster, but very clever, and absolutely one of the best teasers I can remember. Non-obsessives will see a bullet hole, but won't recognise it as an octopus logo or make the connection to Tracy's death, which makes it all the more special for the likes of us. Brilliant.

#24 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:29 AM

It's certainly evocative of Tracy's death, but I suspect (purely based on my own speculation) that the bullet hole is meant to connect to the death of Hannes Oberhauser, the moment at which Blofeld's sinister activities really took root and SPECTRE was effectively born. Note that the bullet hole on the SPECTRE poster appears to run through ice, rather than glass.

#25 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:36 AM

It's certainly evocative of Tracy's death, but I suspect (purely based on my own speculation) that the bullet hole is meant to connect to the death of Hannes Oberhauser, the moment at which Blofeld's sinister activities really took root and SPECTRE was effectively born. Note that the bullet hole on the SPECTRE poster appears to run through ice, rather than glass.

I tend to agree with this more. I think that:

a- Oberhauser is NOT a cover alias for production, but is part of the plot (despite Waltz truly playing Blofeld)

b- the octopus in the glass does point more to Hans' death than Tracy's as the catalyst for Blofeld

That said, it certainly is far more fun and tantalizing to think it's related to Tracy. Man I can't wait until October/November

#26 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:40 AM

a- Oberhauser is NOT a cover alias for production, but is part of the plot (despite Waltz truly playing Blofeld)

I think we can take this for a given.

We know from Baz's report that Waltz's character has a connection to Bond's past. With a name like Oberhauser, it's very easy to guess just what that connection might be. And if the name Oberhauser is truly an alias for Blofeld (as The Daily Mail reported), it makes even more sense of Baz's report that Waltz would be Bond's nemesis but would also appear to be his ally.

#27 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:46 AM

I think we can take this for a given.

We know from Baz's report that Waltz's character has a connection to Bond's past. With a name like Oberhauser, it's very easy to guess just what that connection might be. And if the name Oberhauser is truly an alias for Blofeld (as The Daily Mail reported), it makes even more sense of Baz's report that Waltz would be Bond's nemesis but would also appear to be his ally.

Exactly my thoughts. I believe that (annoyingly) it will attempt to be hidden that Oberhauser is really Blofeld and won't be revealed until the end of the film. Despite the fact that we, basically, already know. *cough cough* John Harrison/Khan *cough cough*

#28 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:48 AM

I agree.

#29 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:54 AM

So, what's the thinking? That Blofeld has assumed the identity of Franz Oberhauser after the real one has been bumped off?

#30 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:02 AM

So, what's the thinking? That Blofeld has assumed the identity of Franz Oberhauser after the real one has been bumped off?

That would be my guess.