SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:30 AM

first look teaser....looks good.

You mean this one?  https://www.facebook...&type=2

Brosnan seems to really cut loose in this one.  Looking forward to it!

#33 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:53 PM

Looks like some good fun. 

#34 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:08 AM

Trailer

#35 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:57 AM

Great trailer, teaser.  I really want to see Brosnan in a gritty spy thriller.

#36 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

Looks like the Bond film with Brosnan I always wanted.

Stoked, that's all I have to say.

#37 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

It looks OK, but not spectacular.  I might be able to be persuaded by a longer theatrical trailer, as I do like the idea of Brosnan attempting a grittier spy film than his Bond films. 

#38 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

After seeing the trailer, I wonder what kind of spy movie is The November Man. Is it a super spy type(in other words super hero type spy) or close to the real world type spy movie. Could it be a mix of the two like the Bourne movies. I wonder type are The November Man novels. Since I never read them.

#39 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:53 AM

Certainly looks as though Pierce is using the opportunity to show what he could have done had he been given the chance during his tenure as Bond. Looks halfway decent, the bit at the beginning is a bit silly but the action montage at the end is slick.

#40 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:17 AM

At long last its almost here. Go for it Brosnan.

#41 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:39 AM

Will the other Bill Granger  November Man novels be turned into movies, or this is the only one? Are they waiting to how it goes at the box office first, before deciding on it.

#42 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

The opening speech is delivered with great presence and sincerity by Brosnan, but from that point onwards this teaser trailer is catering for the 'we love big explosions and cheesy slow-mo'  audience.

Story-wise it looks like a retread of Assassins  and particularly The Mechanic... The latter was originally made in 1972 so is there a chance that the novel, published 15 years later was inspired by the movie? (i haven't read it, so i'm just asking, not stating :)  )

But  Assassins  and  The Mechanic  were pretty generic, uninspired popcorn movies, so there's still scope for this storyline to be done far better. And with Donaldson  calling the shots i'm assuming this is a studio trailer and not particularly true to the tone of the movie, which i expect is a little grittier and not wall-to-wall men melodramatically slo-moing towards camera away from big explosions. God i hope not!

ETA: Sorry, for some reason i'm always getting the name Roger Donaldson mixed up with Jim Sheridan, so yeah, there is a chance November Man is indeed a cheese fest. where the machismo is blown up to Hollywood proportions, which is fine if you like that kind of thing.

But i'll stay positive and hope that Donaldson's re-found his 1987 form when directed No Way Out, one of the best spy thrillers ever made.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 09 June 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#43 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Trailer is showing a movie that has NO resemblance whatsovever to the book. SERIOUSLY pissed me off.

The idea of Devereaux teaching some apprentice is about as in-character as Spock teaching Kirk how to pick up women.

I knew they probably wouldn't retain the Mountbatten-assassination angle but this makes me think they bought the book just for the title.  Just went from must-see to Absolutely-Will-Skip.

#44 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

The idea of Devereaux teaching some apprentice is about as in-character as Spock teaching Kirk how to pick up women.

So in the book Devereaux is a crap spy?

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 09 June 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#45 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

Trailer is showing a movie that has NO resemblance whatsovever to the book. SERIOUSLY pissed me off.

I knew they probably wouldn't retain the Mountbatten-assassination angle but this makes me think they bought the book just for the title.  Just went from must-see to Absolutely-Will-Skip.

This movie is actually loosely based on the novel 'There are No Spies," which was the 5th or 6th book in the series.

Edited by dlb007, 09 June 2014 - 09:39 PM.

#46 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

A movie adaptation that changes the book? 

I´m shocked!

Get Peter Jackson!  He films every comma!

#47 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

The opening speech is delivered with great presence and sincerity by Brosnan, but from that point onwards this teaser trailer is catering for the 'we love big explosions and cheesy slow-mo'  audience.

Story-wise it looks like a retread of Assassins  and particularly The Mechanic... The latter was originally made in 1972 so is there a chance that the novel, published 15 years later was inspired by the movie? (i haven't read it, so i'm just asking, not stating :)  )

But  Assassins  and  The Mechanic  were pretty generic, uninspired popcorn movies, so there's still scope for this storyline to be done far better. And with Donaldson  calling the shots i'm assuming this is a studio trailer and not particularly true to the tone of the movie, which i expect is a little grittier and not wall-to-wall men melodramatically slo-moing towards camera away from big explosions. God i hope not!

ETA: Sorry, for some reason i'm always getting the name Roger Donaldson mixed up with Jim Sheridan, so yeah, there is a chance November Man is indeed a cheese fest. where the machismo is blown up to Hollywood proportions, which is fine if you like that kind of thing.

But i'll stay positive and hope that Donaldson's re-found his 1987 form when directed No Way Out, one of the best spy thrillers ever made.

Have you seen Thirteen Days, a superb political thriller?

I have to say I would have liked Donaldson to film a Bond film based on the above, No Way Out, The Bank Job and White Sands.

#48 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

Have you seen Thirteen Days, a superb political thriller?

I have to say I would have liked Donaldson to film a Bond film based on the above, No Way Out, The Bank Job and White Sands.

I loved the opaque, dark tone and mood of White Sands and The Bank Job was a decent, stylish distraction. I haven't seen Thirteen Days, but remember it having excellent reviews.

No Way Out and Thirteen Days with Costner vs the fairly lame Dantes' Peak with Brosnan... So might Donaldson's real muse is Costner and so (no disrespect to Brosnan) we might have had a safer bet with Costner rounding out a Donaldson trilogy as the November Man?

There's also the small coincidence that Costner's new movie 3 Days To Kill (surprisingly entertaining given that it's a McG film, but that's mainly down to Costner and Luc Besson) happens to be about an ageing spy/CIA assassin.

But 'coulda'-beens' aside, i hope Donaldson and Brosnan make up for the paint-by-numbers forgettable Dante's Peak with November Man. Fingers and toes definitely crossed.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 11 June 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#49 Moore'sStuntDouble

Moore'sStuntDouble

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

Great trailer, teaser.  I really want to see Brosnan in a gritty spy thriller.

Agreed! Very much looking forward to this one. 

#50 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

His non-bond spies have been incessantly solid.

#51 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Oddjobbies, point taken re Dante's Peak.

Have yet to see the McG film with Costner.  And if there are muse associations with Costner, would thoroughly recommend Thirteen Days, a rock solid drama.

Colosus - agreed, case in point Tailor of Panama.

#52 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

The trailer looks promising, and Pierce still got it.

#53 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

I'm extremely excited about The November Man. 

A little bit of online research has thrown up the following. Despite the film sharing it's title with the first novel in the series - the film is in fact based on the 7th novel in the series titled There Are No Spies. There are 13 novels in the series overall from what I can gather. 

Pierce Brosnan IS playing Peter Deveraux and I think his former protege is the bad guy. I recall reading somewhere that Brosnan and Donaldson wish for this to have a couple of sequels. Presumably they are starting the proposed film series from the middle of the book series' run to incorporate Brosnan's age. 

I basically think Brosnan wants a couple of "older spy comes out of retirement" movies. I've ordered a copy of There Are No Spies to see what the book series is like. If I like it I may get some of the others.

I'm hoping this venture is a success for Brosnan and he gets to do a couple of Peter Deveraux movies. As much as I love Daniel Craig (and I do) I do sort of miss Brosnan as Bond sometimes - as far as I'm concerned this is the next best thing. So I'm there!

#54 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

I think Pierce and his company IrishDreamTime have a lot riding on this. I mean, if people don't come out and see Pierce Brosnan playing a spy in an action movie, what Brosnan film will they come out and see? That company have made some terrific pictures (The Thomas Crown Affair, Butterfly On a Wheel) but I think this will do much better than, say, The Greatest. He gets to play against type a little in that he's not a smooth guy in it, but he's still a spy and it's still an action film. So it's a compromise with the audience. He's meeting them half-way, I think. Anyway, it looks good and I'm super excited for it.

Edited by DavidJones, 21 June 2014 - 09:14 PM.

#55 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

If it´s successful, I´m sure Brosnan will try to turn this into his own franchise.  But if not, it´s not too big of a problem for his career.  

He´s extremely busy, making one film after the other.  Sure, they are not big hits.  But if one counts in all the international ancillary rights, they are pre sold and will at least break even.

In a way, he´s emulating Connery´s after-Bond phase, doing a lot of character work.  It will be interesting to see whether Brosnan can also experience a revival at 60 onwards.

#56 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Speaking of Connery he was even better in the 1980s after he got past his "this is my serious actor phase" of the 70s. He just belonged in all those genre movies.

#57 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

I beg to differ - his work during the 70s brought many spectacular movies which cemented his status as a great actor.  "The Offense" and "The Man Who Would Be King" are just two examples.

#58 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

I beg to differ - his work during the 70s brought many spectacular movies which cemented his status as a great actor.  "The Offense" and "The Man Who Would Be King" are just two examples.

Or Robin and Marian, or The Wind and the Lion... ;)

Edited by ggl, 23 June 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#59 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

Roger is the only one who hasn't had a durable career after Bond, and that's mainly because of the age he was when he left.

I think they could fit three November Man movies in the next eight to ten years.

#60 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

That company have made some terrific pictures (The Thomas Crown Affair, Butterfly On a Wheel) but I think this will do much better than, say, The Greatest.

Butterfly on a Wheel (a.k.a. Shattered) was a horrible movie. Truly dumb plot, lousy performances, lousy pace. Even Brosnan's Irish accent sounded fake as I recall. That's how bad a movie it was.