This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Ideal Bond Directors - POLL ADDED

612 replies to this topic

Poll: The 'ideal' director for Bond 2X

First of all: would you welcome Sam Mendes for BOND 25 - provided the Fed can print enough cash to lure him back?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If not Mendes, which new director would you like for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

Yes, all a bit grim all round.

Anyway - it's "Ideal Bond Directors". We haven't got a thread on "Not Ideal Bond Directors" and probably won't if this is the standard.

Positives, please.

#242 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:29 PM

Deleted due to not being fast enough.

#243 Connerybond

Connerybond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:28 AM

This one I am not sure!

#244 Logie

Logie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:14 PM

I don't know if I'd call him 'ideal' just yet  but I do think one to watch would be Greg Williams - seems he's moving on from his post as Bond's official set photographer and will be directing his first feature film, "Samarkand", starring Tom Hardy very soon. I understand he's good pals with Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig so perhaps not a stretch to think he's at least been considered?

#245 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:34 PM

It would be a huge stretch to think he'd be considered, especially with no completed films to his credit yet.  EON is now aiming to make critically acclaimed films with one eye towards the award season.  Even discounting that, it's still a massive undertaking to direct a Bond film.  They're not going to put that in the hands of someone that inexperienced.

#246 Logie

Logie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

Well, no I wasn't suggesting they're going to hand him the job tomorrow but I don't see why his inexperience should preclude him from their list (if they even have a list). By the time Samarkand is released, he'll already be one film up on John Glen and Peter Hunt when they got the chair! Novice directors have also been known to make critically-acclaimed films and win awards as well.

#247 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:09 PM

I don't know if I'd call him 'ideal' just yet  but I do think one to watch would be Greg Williams - seems he's moving on from his post as Bond's official set photographer and will be directing his first feature film, "Samarkand", starring Tom Hardy very soon. I understand he's good pals with Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig so perhaps not a stretch to think he's at least been considered?

i love the idea, not much information on this film though.

#248 Logie

Logie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:30 AM

I believe they start shooting next year. Samarkand is based on a short film, directed by Williams and starring Tom Hardy, which you can see here (NSFW): https://youtu.be/c5H2azNvGo0- and for anyone interested, another of Willliams' short films here: https://vimeo.com/12067022 . Personally, I think he's quite good. :)

Edited by Logie, 30 August 2015 - 09:31 AM.

#249 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:10 PM

Well, no I wasn't suggesting they're going to hand him the job tomorrow but I don't see why his inexperience should preclude him from their list (if they even have a list). By the time Samarkand is released, he'll already be one film up on John Glen and Peter Hunt when they got the chair! Novice directors have also been known to make critically-acclaimed films and win awards as well.

It's not just about winning awards, although that's going to be a major part of it going forward, but it's also about protecting the studio's investment. With SPECTRE reportedly costing close to $300 million, MGM, whose survival as a studio is inherently linked with the success of each Bond film, is not going to allow the reigns to be handed over to someone with virtually no experience. They are going to either go with someone with name recognition and awards like Mendes or they're going to go with an experienced director who has proven capable of carrying out the vision of the producers while also successfully managing the chaos that is a big blockbuster film such as these while also being a proven moneymaker for the studio.

#250 Logie

Logie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:35 PM

Fair enough. All I'm saying is, those in charge have backed a few dodgier greyhounds than this in recent times. And they've won. :)

#251 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

Martin McDonagh ("In Bruges", "Seven Psychopaths") has been mentioned before, right?

And I forgot that Joe Wright directed "Hanna"; never saw it but heard good things about it as an actioner.  IMO, the October release of "Pan" will be his make-or-break into the mainstream; it looks very visually impressive, at least.

Dave

Edited by rubixcub, 15 September 2015 - 04:38 PM.

#252 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:42 PM

Martin McDonagh ("In Bruges", "Seven Psychopaths") has been mentioned before, right?

And I forgot that Joe Wright directed "Hanna"; never saw it but heard good things about it as an actioner.  IMO, the October release of "Pan" will be his make-or-break into the mainstream; it looks very visually impressive, at least.

Dave

McDonagh would be good, and Daniel Craig has said he'd love to work with him. Also I can see his theatre background gelling nicely with EON and the current regular cast. 

#253 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:36 AM

Kevin Macdonald would be perfect. He has exactly the sort of stodgy but competent filmography (Last King of Scotland, Touching the Void, The Eagle, State of Play) that Guy Hamilton, Lewis Gilbert or Terence Young would have had pre-Bond.

#254 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

Um... no.

#255 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:38 AM

Why? What's wrong with those movies?

#256 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:48 PM

Denis (pronounced "di-NEE") Villeneuve just indicated his interest on www.comingsoon.net.

CS: I’m interested in your choice to do genre films, because you did “Prisoners” and “Enemy,” which were both thrillers and then “Sicario” is more of an action movie in some ways. And now you’re doing science fiction, which is also genre. You’ve been leaning more towards genre than drama.

Villeneuve: It’s strange, because I understand that each genre has its own specific rules, but for me, they are all movies. I’m just attracted to try to do different things, and I was very excited to make a movie that required more action. I was raised with James Bond. I love James Bond movies. I would love to do a James Bond movie one day. Action is very cinematic. I’m not someone that loves dialogue – I am someone that loves movement. Action, if it’s well done, can be very poetic and meaningful.

If "Sicario" does decently at the box office -- it's already got very good reviews -- and he doesn't lose drop the ball with the upcoming "Blade Runner", he could very well end up on the shortlist.  He is Canadian, as was TND director Roger Spottiswoode.

Dave

Edited by rubixcub, 28 September 2015 - 11:52 PM.

#257 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:46 AM

I'm all for him. Sicario is absolutely intense, from start to finish, and he knows how to grip an audience and present engaging set pieces. Of the three films I've seen from him, He gets better and better with each film. He knows how to establish mood perfectly.

#258 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:52 AM

My picks:

Joe Wright
Denis Vilneuve
Luc Besson
Johnathan Glazer

And by extension, I'd love John Powell, Dario Marianelli, Mica Levi or Johann Johannsson to have a crack at Bond, or for Eric Serra to return (one can drea, right?).

#259 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:13 AM

Denis (pronounced "di-NEE") Villeneuve just indicated his interest on www.comingsoon.net.

CS: I’m interested in your choice to do genre films, because you did “Prisoners” and “Enemy,” which were both thrillers and then “Sicario” is more of an action movie in some ways. And now you’re doing science fiction, which is also genre. You’ve been leaning more towards genre than drama.

Villeneuve: It’s strange, because I understand that each genre has its own specific rules, but for me, they are all movies. I’m just attracted to try to do different things, and I was very excited to make a movie that required more action. I was raised with James Bond. I love James Bond movies. I would love to do a James Bond movie one day. Action is very cinematic. I’m not someone that loves dialogue – I am someone that loves movement. Action, if it’s well done, can be very poetic and meaningful.

If "Sicario" does decently at the box office -- it's already got very good reviews -- and he doesn't lose drop the ball with the upcoming "Blade Runner", he could very well end up on the shortlist.  He is Canadian, as was TND director Roger Spottiswoode.

Dave

A director who says he does not love dialogue is an immediate pass for me.

#260 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:20 AM

Dave

A director who says he does not love dialogue is an immediate pass for me.

Couldn't agree more. If that is truly how he'd approach a Bond film, I hope EON doesn't let him anywhere near the director's chair.

#261 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:41 AM

My picks:

Joe Wright
Denis Vilneuve
Luc Besson
Johnathan Glazer

And by extension, I'd love John Powell, Dario Marianelli, Mica Levi or Johann Johannsson to have a crack at Bond, or for Eric Serra to return (one can drea, right?).

All decent picks.

Villeneuve would be fine. A little severe, perhaps, but he has a very good eye, and like the other directors on Sharky's list, would probably benefit from working with the EON machine. (Don't read too much into his "dialogue" remark. His films have plenty of it.)

#262 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

I still think Villeneuve is too somber, too much "drama needs to be dark and desperate".  

After Mendes I would prefer someone with a lighter touch.

#263 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:33 AM

My picks:

Joe Wright
Denis Vilneuve
Luc Besson
Johnathan Glazer

Besson? I'm not sure he's still at the top of his game, his recent work didn't turn out all that brilliant. 15 years ago maybe that would have been different. Of the others I've only seen enough of Wright's work to comment; good choice that one.

Cedric Jimenez anybody?

#264 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:00 PM

Matthew Vaughn

#265 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

Matthew Vaughn

His films are too superficial for me. He's good at parodying Bond, but that's not the same...

Maybe for Bond 7, if they go in a light-hearted direction. Not for Craig.

#266 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

Maybe a little bit of light-hearted moments wouldn't hurt the series too much. Of course not on DAD levels :D

#267 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:57 PM

My picks:

Joe Wright
Denis Vilneuve
Luc Besson
Johnathan Glazer

Besson? I'm not sure he's still at the top of his game, his recent work didn't turn out all that brilliant. 15 years ago maybe that would have been different. Of the others I've only seen enough of Wright's work to comment; good choice that one.

Cedric Jimenez anybody?

I´m not familiar with his films - can you recommend some?

Matthew Vaughn

His films are too superficial for me. He's good at parodying Bond, but that's not the same...

Maybe for Bond 7, if they go in a light-hearted direction. Not for Craig.

Vaughn has said in EMPIRE that he had a meeting with Barbara Broccoli and managed to anger her quite a bit, therefore he thought Bond is over for him.  His KINGSMEN will probably have irked EON even more.

Personally, I think Vaughn is extremely overrated.

#268 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

Keep Vaughn far, far away from Bond.

#269 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:15 PM

Well I see he's not popular around here, but I think he has his qualities.

In the meantime it seems he has signed to direct a spy movie, an adaptation of the novel I Am Pilgrim.

The more spy movies, the merrier, I say. B)

#270 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:05 AM

Re: Jimenez check ou La French/The Connection. It stands up remarkably well although it invokes the obvious comparisons with the big classics of the 70ies Narc genre.