This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Ideal Bond Directors - POLL ADDED

612 replies to this topic

Poll: The 'ideal' director for Bond 2X

First of all: would you welcome Sam Mendes for BOND 25 - provided the Fed can print enough cash to lure him back?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If not Mendes, which new director would you like for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

Craig is the worst BOND actor ever & QOS is the worst BOND movie ever.

Can you please stop posting your OPINION as FACT. You're entitled to your opinion, as is everyone on this board, but to put it as such a blunt statement is uncalled for. Whilst not alone in your opinion, it is definitely a minority view - which doesn't make it any the less valid as a personal opinion.

Writing it as a solid fact sours peoples opinions of you, and makes it look like that you have no respect for the opinions of others.

Well said and completely agreed, JCRendle.

#152 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

You know how message boards work...

#153 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:55 PM

JAMES BOND ---- dark hair, tall, handsome.

DANIEL CRAIG ---- blond, short, ugly.

You really aren't advancing this, y'know.

If this is the content of the argument, you have already stated it a number of times.

Fine, you don't favour him - (we've spotted this) - that's OK, but is there anything else you have to say on the matter? Bit dull, otherwise.

#154 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

I wonder how many more times I'm going to have to hear this from you.

#155 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

Well, let's see if there's anything more behind it; otherwise I've enjoyed this visit to a decade ago.

#156 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:51 PM

In a lame attempt to get this topic back on track, how about Richard Shepard - director of The Matador and Dom Hemingway?

#157 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

What about giving a little known director a chance. Steve Spielberg - mainly known for art-house films but he's done some actiony type films that seem popular. He's worked on some spy dramas in the past, he even directed Daniel Craig in a historical drama set around the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich - I forget it's name. I believe he's expressed an interest in the past. Other than directing a small film based on one of Roald Dahl's (You Only Live Twice screenwriter) books, The BFG - he doesn't seem to have much in his future calender.

What do you think? A Bond film could push him into the mainstream consciousness.

;) :P

#158 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:11 PM

In a lame attempt to get this topic back on track, how about Richard Shepard - director of The Matador and Dom Hemingway?

Both excellent films (particularly Matador). If not Nolan, then i'd be happy about Shepard - the big spectacle is missing, but he delivers plenty of style and wit - not unlike Paul McGuigan who's often been rumoured)

What about giving a little known director a chance. Steve Spielberg - mainly known for art-house films but he's done some actiony type films that seem popular. He's worked on some spy dramas in the past, he even directed Daniel Craig in a historical drama set around the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich - I forget it's name. I believe he's expressed an interest in the past. Other than directing a small film based on one of Roald Dahl's (You Only Live Twice screenwriter) books, The BFG - he doesn't seem to have much in his future calender.

What do you think? A Bond film could push him into the mainstream consciousness.

Lol, i think i've heard of him - does shark movies and things about antique heists, doesn't he?   Well they turned him down in the 70s, when he s**t hot, but if it were to happen now there's surely no one who wouldn't be excited by the prospect, despite the odd turkey he's turned out of late, is there?  Cue all those Spielberg haters ;)

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 21 January 2015 - 09:13 PM.

#159 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:06 PM

Lol, i think i've heard of him - does shark movies and things about antique heists, doesn't he?   Well they turned him down in the 70s, when he s**t hot, but if it were to happen now there's surely no one who wouldn't be excited by the prospect, despite the odd turkey he's turned out of late, is there?  Cue all those Spielberg haters ;)

He actually making a Cold War film right now with some unknown lead (the American version of Otm Shank I'm told), we'll see how that works out.

#160 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:39 PM

He actually making a Cold War film right now with some unknown lead (the American version of Otm Shank I'm told), we'll see how that works out.

If he's making it now, then he should be finished by the time SPECTRE has finished shooting and Bond 25 goes into PreProduction

#161 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:28 AM

Its the Brosnazis all over again.

#162 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

He's over 85 years old and hasn't helmed a movie since 2006.  Difficult to believe that this, or many of your other postings, are serious.

#163 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

Methinks that mi94 was cryogenically frozen in 2005 and has been recently unfrozen.

#164 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:27 AM

Methinks that mi94 was cryogenically frozen in 2005 and has been recently unfrozen.

Perhaps, but I think he's just trolling.  In a previous thread he suggested that Richard Maibaum should write BOND 25 in the event that Purvis & Wade were not available.

#165 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

Note the he "hasn't helmed a movie since 2006." Part, it's not purely about age.

#166 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

He's over 85 years old and hasn't helmed a movie since 2006. Difficult to believe that this, or many of your other postings, are serious.

Clint still make movies...(American Sniper).

No thanks. With the stuff I've heard about American Sniper, I don't really want Eastwood anywhere near a Bond film. 

#167 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

16 blocks was solid action movie...

16 Blocks was far from being an action film. It was more of a cop thriller, and a sub-par one at best.

#168 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

Renny Harlin.

Welcome back from cryogenic deep freeze ;D

#169 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:19 PM

It's a 'no' from me to the Harlin suggestion.  Hasn't made a good film in...quite possibly forever.  The only films that one could even make the argument for being decent were made back in the early 1990s (Cliffhanger and Die Hard 2) and he's also the director of one of the worst films ever made (Cutthroat Island).

#170 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

and he's also the director of one of the worst films ever made (Cutthroat Island).

Wasn't that the film that was so bad that it bankrupted an entire studio?

#171 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:27 PM

The studio was already on its way out, but from what I can tell, Cutthroat Island was the final nail in the coffin.  Unsurprisingly, MGM was also involved in it as well. 

#172 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:37 PM

Have to give Harlin credit for Long Kiss Goodnight - one of the top 20 action movie ever made. But that was a Shane Black script, who is, well, a screenwriting demigod.

And it didn't seem so at the time, but with hindsight DH:2 is a good sequel, having now seen what an utter mess has been made with 4 & 5.

But, alas our Fin friend is working in TV these days after a string of mediocre movies. His big return last year, Legend of Hecules has been well and truly pilloried.

So unless Harlin has blackmail material on BB then, no he's got no chance of getting the gig.

#173 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:46 PM

It would seem that, by in large, that studios have wisely not brought Harlin in to helm anything of note since Exorcist: The Beginning.  That film was just a slap in the face to a franchise which, after the exceptional The Exorcist III (or Exorcist III: Legion as its also known), deserved a better continuation from what it got from the troubled production of both Dominion: A Prequel to 'The Exorcist' and Exorcist: The Beginning.

#174 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:37 PM

What films would one point to in order to reach the conclusion that Renny Harlin is a great (action or otherwise) director?

Looking over his filmography on IMDb, it's just one turkey after another. 

I think the proof is pretty much out there that he's a terrible director.  Studios won't even turn to him to make those awful films like Transformers that are there for the sole purpose of marketing and to turn a quick buck which, if he were any good strictly as an action director, he would at the very least be able to handle those types of films.

Edited by tdalton, 11 February 2015 - 06:40 PM.

#175 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

Don't feed...

#176 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

Normally I'd very much agree, but I'm actually genuinely curious as to the reasoning that would lead one to believe that Renny Harlin is a capable director.

#177 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:17 PM

Understandable, but I have a feeling that all reasoning you'll get will be written in all caps.

#178 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:04 PM

Understandable, but I have a feeling that all reasoning you'll get will be written in all caps.

I don't doubt it.

#179 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:21 AM

I can't speak for The Long Kiss Goodnight, as I haven't seen it, but I wouldn't hold either Die Hard 2 or Cliffhanger up as great action films.  They're passable, at best.

They were also both over twenty years ago, closing in on almost 30 years ago.  Even if, just for the sake of argument, I was to agree that those were great action films, Harlin hasn't done anything of substance since then (Long Kiss Goodnight notwithstanding) and has, instead, directed one of the worst films of all time in Cutthroat Island and effectively ended The Exorcist franchise with the abysmal Exorcist: The Beginning

What I don't understand is, with all of the truly great directors out there, both in the action genre and outside of it, why would we want to reach into the past and get a director for Bond who was, at the absolute top of his game, a mediocre director when there are some real brilliant directors working today that could do a much, much better job of directing Bond?

#180 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:44 AM

Die hard 2, cliffhanger, the long kiss goodnight...GREAT action movies.

Of the three you have mentioned, the only GREAT action film Harlin has made is Cliffhanger.