This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Ideal Bond Directors - POLL ADDED

612 replies to this topic

Poll: The 'ideal' director for Bond 2X

First of all: would you welcome Sam Mendes for BOND 25 - provided the Fed can print enough cash to lure him back?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If not Mendes, which new director would you like for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#541 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

This seems to be another of Eon's preferences, as far as we're told they asked back all directors since around Apted or so. Which means on the one hand they are sufficiently satisfied with the product to hand the director-of-the-watch also the next film. But long-term planning becomes increasingly difficult when they regularly first ask their directors back.

#542 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:39 PM

I think Nolan is always going to be an availability issue, though I suppose this funding delay on MGM's side could have Bond 25 starting up as Nolan finishes promotion etc on Dunkirk. Availability is always going to be an issue with the bigger name directors.

In general i'd agree, but since Nolan has expressed an interest in directing Bond i'd say it's not a matter of 'if,  but 'when'.

#543 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:53 PM

I also wont be surprised if Mendes returns either after his SF comments and he probably didn't realize/believe it would be 4 years later. Maybe he'll do an audio commentary for SP too if he hasn't already for some Xmas re-release then decide he'd like to direct Bond 25 after seeing the script. 

I wonder if EON picked Nolan would he do a few films as well for Bond 7. I'd wish they would get another B side director not to say John Glen was a B side but someone who would dedicate themselves to a series, maybe five films. 

But I'll be happy as long as we get more films just the complaining might be more harsh and frequent the longer the gaps. Even the forums seem to have slowed down a bit haven't they? 

This MGM/EON deal is dark times for us Bond fans isn't it? Not as bad as the 89 hiatus but hopefully they can come to a long term solution to this problem. I'm not feeling these 4 year gaps, they should be for in-between Bond's but not films. 

#544 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:31 AM

Campbell will be approaching 80 years of age when BOND 25 could finally be go into production - and I don´t think anyone would want that enormous stress on him then.

Campbell is now 72, according to wikipedia. 

If Bond 25 goes into production when Campbell is approaching 80 (say, 77-78), then I'd say we have bigger things to worry about in the Bondverse than who will be directing. 

#545 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:54 AM

I wonder if EON picked Nolan would he do a few films as well for Bond 7. I'd wish they would get another B side director not to say John Glen was a B side but someone who would dedicate themselves to a series, maybe five films.  

I feel like the only modern series that has managed to accomplish this is Harry Potter which has held on to David Yates as director from the 5th film now into the Fantastic Beasts series.

I am ok with them continuing to change the director for the remainder of Craig's tenure, but it would be interesting if they could get one director for the entire run of the next actor to step into the role.

#546 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:13 PM

I feel like the only modern series that has managed to accomplish this is Harry Potter which has held on to David Yates as director from the 5th film now into the Fantastic Beasts series.

I am ok with them continuing to change the director for the remainder of Craig's tenure, but it would be interesting if they could get one director for the entire run of the next actor to step into the role.

Let's be honest, David Yates is essentially a hack. Slightly more talented than most hacks, but unless he has a well-established and talented writer, his films aren't good. (Even then, he managed to increasingly sap the final Potter films of a lot of energy and coherency.) He's easy for a studio to retain on a franchise and follows their notes well.

Rather than Potter, I'd say The Lord of the Rings is the only 21st Century trilogy or franchise that has managed to maintain a creative director over a series of films and produced meaningful, consistent and high quality story-telling. And that was under very specific circumstances (he wasn't an A-lister, filmed them back-to-back). The Nolan Batman trilogy comes a close second, but it's clear his heart wasn't fully in it by TDKR, as good as it is.

Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter, The Hobbit, the Star Wars Prequels, The Matrix... you're right, keeping directors on board hasn't been easy or good for these franchises.

And I would say that applies to Mendes on Bond, too ;)

pointless aside - despite his accent (which he gets from his Brit parents) Nolan is actually an american citizen, his parents having moved there when Nolan was very young, only returning for his University education. It's why his little brother (acclaimed writer Jonathan Nolan - co-wrote most of his brothers films as well as Person Of Interest and, currently, Westworld on HBO) has an American accent.

Excellent point - Chris Nolan's even losing his accent since he spends most of his time in America these days! (Although he is half-English and was born here). Also, Villeneuve is French Canadian, barely qualifies under the Commonwealth Rule... My preference for it is purely arbitrary, because I like how British the Bond franchise has mostly remained (despite the money always having been American). The only time they've strayed from the Comonwealth Rule, that I can think of, was with Marc Forster. Eek.

#547 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:28 AM

I suppose the Potter films are a very specific example, an ensemble affair based on a very solid series of books. A big part of the job would have been to get to know all the players, cast and crew, young and old, keep them all entertained and follow the lead from the producers and studio. In the end Yates seems to have managed this reasonably well. Granted, another director might have put his/her own stamp on the final four films. But would they have managed so well with the rest of the tasks? I always suspected Yates was chosen because he was relatively solid in his direction and people simply liked him.

About that Commonwealth rule I'm in two minds. I suppose there are plenty of directors who could deliver that cherished faux-Britishness we now associate with Bond. But is that really the attraction of the series? Most of Bond's adventures happen outside the United Kingdom, most of his adversaries operate on a different scale. In most films the only British player - outside the home team M-Q-Moneypenny - is Bond. I think it's certainly right to try and keep the Bond series always half a step away from the traditional American popcorn action lore. But whether the director to do this is British, American or from some other country is hardly crucial for the result in my view.

I would think Eon are having an eye on the talent like everybody else, they first see the ones right at the doorstep, then the ones across the street. And every once in a while they may even happen upon a candidate from farther away. As long as the curry is satisfying I don't mind if chef in the kitchen is Indian, French or from Iceland.

#548 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

Re: David Yates

You said it perfectly: directing, especially a huge enterprise like the year-for-year Potter adaptations is simply not just about getting an interesting, singular directorial vision, it´s about managing an absurdly huge operation of egos AND delivering something that delights a mass audience.  A hack will never be able to do this.  It takes an inspired and completely versatile personality to reach the finish line with so much success.

Was Yates allowed so far to prove that he has a distinct directorial vision?  I´d say: no.  But one also has to take into account that blockbusters these days are not employing any auteur in order to have them run free, nor do they leave the room for that kind of approach.  To criticize any director for prioritizing only offers a lack of knowledge about the reality of filmmaking.

Re: the Commonwealth rule

I believe EON started out as the "little engine from Brittania that could", confounding the whole world with a new kind of spy thriller that energized the masses.  Therefore it stuck to employing artists that still conveyed the idea that James Bond movies were an absolutely British extravaganza.

This still applied up to the Craig era.  Yet, it will be interesting to see whether the new political circumstances will still allow that kind of national pride and - let´s not forget this - support of a homegrown industry.  One might argue that after Brexit the country will need Bond films more than ever.  But the hard financial reality will maybe force EON to look elsewhere to produce the films, with talent that will be more international.

IMO, as long as James Bond will be a British secret agent - and not an US CIA Jimmy Bond-reboot -, I would actually welcome directors from other countries.

In the end, to separate between countries should become absurd anyway.  The world is inhabited by human beings who just happen to be born in different places.  That does not make any place more worthy at all.

#549 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:53 PM

Yates - he does what he does for Potter perfectly well and long may he, but he doesn't rock my boat as a Bond director.

The Commonwealth - seems absolutely ridiculous to limit ones choices for the sake of an ancient guideline. The right  person for the job, wherever he or she may hail from.

NB. By 'right'  i mean one that is exciting in that they understand the rules of the format and fully intend to bend them in all the right places so that it re-invents and personalises in auteu-ish fashion without nullifying those same tropes or giving way to entropy.

I don't see Yates being disposed to bend any rule and so i don't find the idea of his Bond at all exciting. If i want canon-perfect formatted Bond i'll watch an old one. I want 'new' to be new. That doesn't mean entirely different, just fresh. That's what some filmmakers bring, whilst other don't. Nolan would bring his unique signature sensibilities as would Villeneurve, as would Refn in the extreme (probably too extreme). Yates' signature is being a steady hands and that's no insult - that's a precious commodity in studio tentpole filmmaking.

#550 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

Watch State of Play (tv version) - Yates is very capable of directing a tense thriller, his Harry Potter films (which I really liked) aren't really indicative of Yates directorial flair so much as his ability to make a cohesive and enjoyable film by committee (harder than it sounds) 

#551 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:02 PM

The real quality of the superb BBC State of Play is in the script; Paul Abbott is a prolific, edgy and highly regarded screenwriter. Yates did a superb job realising the script with some taught tv direction seldom seen since the Beeb's glory days in the 80s and its shows like Edge of Darkness and Boys From The Blackstuff.

But Yates, the consummate professional has strayed from those edgy realms into studio tropes, so i'd guess he'd need a few low budget projects if he really wanted to find that voice again. Bond won't help with that at all - the opposite probably.

#552 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:13 PM

Kevin Macdonald.

Edited by MISALA1994, 17 November 2016 - 09:17 PM.

#553 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:05 AM

The real quality of the superb BBC State of Play is in the script; Paul Abbott is a prolific, edgy and highly regarded screenwriter. Yates did a superb job realising the script with some taught tv direction seldom seen since the Beeb's glory days in the 80s and its shows like Edge of Darkness and Boys From The Blackstuff.

But Yates, the consummate professional has strayed from those edgy realms into studio tropes, so i'd guess he'd need a few low budget projects if he really wanted to find that voice again. Bond won't help with that at all - the opposite probably.

Since Yates has reportedly signed up to direct all four future installments of "Fantastic Beasts" he won´t have the time to do Bond.

Unless BOND 25, of course, will be released in 10 years.  Well, maybe the general fatigue of Bond´s major players will be over by then.

#554 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

Perhaps the mods could add a poll for whether Mendes should return and if you would like him to.

I don't think these threads normally get polls anyway, presumably because whose to say who goes on it. 

Or is Mendes definitely busy with his schedule? 

#555 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:39 PM

I will take a look at it...

Done.

#556 mummyboy11

mummyboy11

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:37 PM

It has always been said that Spielberg wanted to direct a Bond movie. And taking into account he has made or produced some pics with Daniel, it wouldn't surprised me if a major name became associated with the project.

Although Martin Campbell will always be my favourite Bond director. He nailed it twice!

#557 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:03 PM

Voted.  I said "no" to Mendes, namely because SP didn't work out so well, IMO, once they lured him back.  Better to respect his wishes than bring him back for the money to do something with less passion than he did SF.

For directors, I went with "Other not on list", as I didn't recognize half the names on it.  (Am I wrong, or are half the names on that list women?  I don't have a problem with that or anything, but where is this actually coming from?  Rumors?  Wish lists?  Probabilities based on career trajectory?)

• Martin Campbell would be my first choice to return, though it may be unlikely as he's already over 70 years of age.
  • Morten Tyldum & Denis Villeneuve are probably pretty likely, with the former having been courted as a potential director for SP, the latter achieving critical & commercial success without having been Oscar-nominated himself (which would likely raise his asking price).
  • After that, Alex Garland (who gave some very modern yet Bondian touches to "Ex Machina"), although he may be sticking with his own projects as writer-director.
  • Joe Wright's name will probably come up again, but not until he's rebounded from the critical & financial disaster of "Pan"; his Churchill "slice of life" biopic, "Darkest Hour" promises Oscar attention, which will be enough to put him back on the map.

I am fine leaving Nolan out.  On the one hand, the Batman pictures were all good, even great, with some top-notch action sequences and a few great characters, though overall they're not without flaws and a few bits that landed flat.  OTOH, I thought "Inception" was overlong and boring, with action sequences that didn't measure up and stakes that weren't apparent without being explained.  I liked "Interstellar" a little better, it had some good twists, but his admitted tendency to put subtext in dialogue - yikes.  With the participation of his editor & most recent cinematographer, I felt like SP was Nolan's Bond -- and I was underwhelmed.

One thing is for sure: whoever directs needs to bring back the common denominator of CR & SF's success -- editor Stuart Baird!

Dave

#558 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:24 PM

It has always been said that Spielberg wanted to direct a Bond movie. And taking into account he has made or produced some pics with Daniel, it wouldn't surprised me if a major name became associated with the project.

Although Martin Campbell will always be my favourite Bond director. He nailed it twice!

No to Mendes and no two without three...

Edited by MISALA1994, 19 November 2016 - 08:00 AM.

#559 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:54 AM

For directors, I went with "Other not on list", as I didn't recognize half the names on it. (Am I wrong, or are half the names on that list women? I don't have a problem with that or anything, but where is this actually coming from? Rumors? Wish lists? Probabilities based on career trajectory?

Yes, half of them are women. Around the time of HURT LOCKER Bigelow was often mentioned as a possibility for directing a Bond film. And recently of course Susanne Bier got some attention. So when doing the poll I thought about mixing up the usual suspects with some up-and-coming ladies. But I didn't just pull them out of my hat; there is an article on indiewire that lists no fewer than 13 women film makers ready to do a blockbuster production, with examples of their previous work: (http://www.indiewire...kbuster-290189/) Chances are one of them sooner or later could have a go at Bond.

Good call on Garland and Villeneuve.

#560 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the poll, great idea!

I found myself voting for another Mendes-entry, to my own surprise, but I do think that if Craig comes back, ending his tenure with the last part of a Mendes-trilogy would rather ensure that Blofeld as envisioned by him can have a more satisfying finale.  SPECTRE did leave too many things open, and a whole film of Bond against Blofeld would maybe even put SPECTRE in perspective.  Right now it feels like starting out with QOS and the possibility of a CR to finish.

If Mendes does not come back and Blofeld and Spectre are left out as well I would like to see Joe Wright or Susanne Bier to helm BOND 25.  Wright because he is a truly gifted visual director who can do great character driven films, and Bier because she is a terrific director who can tell stories which matter and are entertaining as well.

#561 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

I like Mendes, but if he doesn't return I'm not upset. He's had a good run and by all accounts, did everything he wanted with the character. As long as Bond 25 hits the screens in a couple of years, I'm cool.

#562 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:52 PM

Sweet, there is a POLL Added! Thanks Dustin.

Is it me or does Roger Donaldson look a little like Bill Clinton? Speaking of which it is wonderful to see so many woman being represented, a female director would be a nice change. I'm just not that familiar with their work. Susanne Bier's The Night Manager looked great. I haven't seen Karyn Kusama's The Invitation or Jennifer Kent's The Babadook because horror scares me. :(

I'd welcome Nolan to direct a Bond 7 film, maybe two or three but to come in and finish the Craig Era with Bond 25 just does not sit with me well. Not that I'd be worried it would be like The Dark Knight Rises with a choose your own ending or anything but if memory servers me correctly it wasn't as well received as The Dark Knight. Just doesn't feel like the right time IMO.

Martin Campbell although old would be a great send off IMO. What a great book end that would make from either GE or CR. A fun idea although I don't know what chance it would have. I was under the impression these 70 year old directors are harder to insure and because of it does not happen often. That is not to say it does not happen. I'd be all aboard Campbell returning, it would be like boys with toys!

#563 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:39 PM

For directors, I went with "Other not on list", as I didn't recognize half the names on it. (Am I wrong, or are half the names on that list women? I don't have a problem with that or anything, but where is this actually coming from? Rumors? Wish lists? Probabilities based on career trajectory?

Yes, half of them are women. Around the time of HURT LOCKER Bigelow was often mentioned as a possibility for directing a Bond film. And recently of course Susanne Bier got some attention. So when doing the poll I thought about mixing up the usual suspects with some up-and-coming ladies. But I didn't just pull them out of my hat; there is an article on indiewire that lists no fewer than 13 women film makers ready to do a blockbuster production, with examples of their previous work: (http://www.indiewire...kbuster-290189/) Chances are one of them sooner or later could have a go at Bond.

Good call on Garland and Villeneuve.

Gotcha.  Thanks for the reply!

Dave

#564 Toxteth_OGrady

Toxteth_OGrady

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:23 AM

Here's one from left field
https://youtu.be/riSCSzXcyj0

#565 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:05 PM

Here's one from left field...

No argument there!

#566 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:32 PM

Hardy has been name dropping his choice to direct him as Bond (at least that's the inference):

http://www.thedailyb...d-sequel-s.html

#567 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:51 AM

Unlikely to happen but how about Steven Soderbergh? He has a working relationship with Craig so would likely entice Craig for 5th, and has demonstrated he can do style (Oceans 11) and action (Haywire), not to mention he lists OHMSS as one of his favourite films (if you haven't read his piece on how good it, definitely seek it out)

#568 MISALA1994

MISALA1994

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:09 PM

Unlikely to happen but how about Steven Soderbergh? He has a working relationship with Craig so would likely entice Craig for 5th, and has demonstrated he can do style (Oceans 11) and action (Haywire), not to mention he lists OHMSS as one of his favourite films (if you haven't read his piece on how good it, definitely seek it out)

Agreed, good opposite to "drama" Mendes...

#569 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

15 - 20 years ago i'd have agreed that Soderbergh would have been a great choice. But his output's been mediocre over the past 10 years. IMO opinion his last great movie was the Solaris remake. I haven't seen Che, but that's not a movie i'd use to measure his aptitude for Bond. Hopefully Logan Lucky will see a return to old form.

TBH, i think his apparent dips in form have been self motivated, as he's a keen 'film experimenter'. I'm a massive fan of his editing in Out Of Sight and particularly his Get Carter remake The Limey, in which he uses dialogue under a shot of that character not speaking and then jump cuts into the shot where they're actually speaking the dialogue. The Limey is the first time i'd seen this 'edit-trick' put front and centre in an almost mainstream movie. It's been copied since, but never with the artistic nuance of Soderbergh.

He's next doing TV movie Mosaic; according to IMDB an interactive movie with audience plot determination... How about that for a Bond movie? ;)

Much like Tarantino's 10 film promise, Soderbergh said a while back he'd retired from filmmaking and would do tv instead and has been doing The Knick for a while. It was well reviewed, but recently cancelled, so he's got a little more time on his hands.

I think his short lived movie retirement screams of an indie-genius that's had enough of studio meddling and pushy finance reps....

...And for that reason i don't see Soderbergh and Eon/the studio gelling. The Tarantino affair is a good president for this.

A )  Do we get the studio pleasing Soderbergh of Oceans 11? What's the point - that'd be a by-the-numbers trope-ticking bore).

B )  Or do we get the indie-genius of Out of Sight, Solaris and The Limey? I'd be keen on that, but i doubt Eon and whichever studio would be too thrilled and a 'troubled production' would ensue.

I don't want 'A'...

'B' is highly unlikely.

#570 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

I agree - Soderbergh has become hit and miss for me.  Still, he would deliver a very interesting Bond film.  And if Craig liked to work with him it is not inconceivable that BB would accept him.