Really? Doh...

#122 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:12 AM

Well, Logan claims that he wanted this show to end this way.

Showtime, however, is clearly putting a stop to an expensive show that did not deliver the ratings it needed to.

#123 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:20 PM

Well, Logan claims that he wanted this show to end this way.

Showtime, however, is clearly putting a stop to an expensive show that did not deliver the ratings it needed to.

Yeah, you're right in both cases. It doesn't look like it's been officially cancelled, so Logan's claim may be a case of "going before pushed".

#124 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:38 PM

It's been cancelled now hasn't it?

Sadly, yes. Too short a run, in my opinion. But at least it didn't whither and die on the vine, as many shows do.

#125 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

It's been cancelled now hasn't it?

Sadly, yes. Too short a run, in my opinion. But at least it didn't whither and die on the vine, as many shows do.

Yes, and while its no definitive indication the show has an 8.3 rating on IMDb, but only 34% "liked it" on Rotten Tomatoes.

#126 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:30 AM

I'm only three episodes in so far; it does have a bit of a niche vibe. I can see how it attracts fans of the genre but probably not all that many from the mainstream audience. Or at least not the numbers that would justify the production expenses.

#127 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:20 AM

I was thrilled by the pilot, intrigued by the next episodes... and grew tired of the series the longer it went on.  The performances are great, the set design flawless - but after a while it all felt dragged out and fell victim to the same aspect many cable shows these days suffer from: titilation for titilations´s sake.  It is not narratively necessary to show all the gore and nudity - but if the competition does it, one has to constantly up the ante.

I know that makes me sound like a prude, but it´s more that I´ve seen too many shows and I already am bored by those shock values.  It becomes too easily detectable when producers are eager or forced to add these elements instead of concentrating on the story which would be more captivating with more restraint.  That´s why I stopped watching this one and many others recently.

Just my two cents.

#128 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:03 AM

That was what made me stop caring about 24, it was just too much of a drive-by-wire from shootout to betrayal to torture scene with too little actual story to convince me.

#129 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:34 AM

I've only seen the first series. I have a feeling that I might be getting series 2 for my birthday in August..

What I have seen is great. Dalton is magnificent, as is Rory Kinnear. Eva Green is thoroughly enjoying herself and is just the right side of OTT