This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Will they release Bond 24 on the Summer of 2014?

44 replies to this topic

#31 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

November/December seems more likely, but I'd love to see another Bond film released in the summer. The last one was Licence To Kill and that was 14 years ago. A July release would be cool and see Bond dominate the summer Box Office.

Having a Bond film open up closer to my birthday would be ecstatic!

#32 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

If they release it in the summer, there will be more competition for the movie. This definitely should be November.

Ordinarily, you would be right, but that is not how 2014 is shaping up.  The November/December season is already pretty crowded with Chris Nolan's Interstellar, Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 and The Hobbit: There and Back Again.  Nolan's TDK and TDKR both made over a billion and Inception, his last original film like Interstellar made $800 million worldwide.  The Hunger Games did $700 million worldwide and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey also broke a billion.  In contrast, summer 2014 is the lull between the storms of summers 2013 and 2015.  With the exception of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Transformers 4, summer 2014's big tentpole movies are largely sequels to movies that performed far more modestly. eg. Captain America ($370 million worldwide), X-Men: First Class ($350 million), Rise of the Planet of the Apes ($480 million).  The revived Bond series with its new billion dollar pedigree would probably fair better against those weaker summer franchises than juggernauts like Nolan, Hunger Games, and The Hobbit all within just over a month of each other.

#33 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Well if they are to release it in the summer, they would need to get cracking on production ASAP for principle photography to commence in the summer.

#34 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

I'm feeling we won't see Bond until November 2014 at the earliest, though I get the impression 2015 is more likely. They don't seem the be rushing production and they don't have a director even in mind yet so I find it hard to believe that the cameras will start rolling any time soon.

#35 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'm surprised every time I see this thread, I have to agree with Matt 13 on this one.

#36 Berni99

Berni99

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

If they release it in the summer, there will be more competition for the movie. This definitely should be November.

Ordinarily, you would be right, but that is not how 2014 is shaping up.  The November/December season is already pretty crowded with Chris Nolan's Interstellar, Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 and The Hobbit: There and Back Again.  Nolan's TDK and TDKR both made over a billion and Inception, his last original film like Interstellar made $800 million worldwide.  The Hunger Games did $700 million worldwide and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey also broke a billion.  In contrast, summer 2014 is the lull between the storms of summers 2013 and 2015.  With the exception of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Transformers 4, summer 2014's big tentpole movies are largely sequels to movies that performed far more modestly. eg. Captain America ($370 million worldwide), X-Men: First Class ($350 million), Rise of the Planet of the Apes ($480 million).  The revived Bond series with its new billion dollar pedigree would probably fair better against those weaker summer franchises than juggernauts like Nolan, Hunger Games, and The Hobbit all within just over a month of each other.

The Final Hobbit Movie comes out in Summer 2014. November 2014 was the best release for Bond 24.

If they release the movie in 2015, why not with Mendes?

Edited by Berni99, 17 March 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#37 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Mendes seems to be done with Bond at the moment, he put everything into SKYFALL and probably needs another project for a change.

I suppose 2015 might be a more realistic date for BOND 24. For a 2014 release they would need some kind of major progress fairly soonish.

#38 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

I don't see why finding a director would halt production so much, they've got months.

#39 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Depends. If it's a director who's happy with the script and convinced of its potential it shouldn't be a problem. But if it's someone with own ideas and who wants to have input...could be difficult.

#40 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

edit; sorry. moved it to here instead, hope that was the wise decision.

#41 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Depends. If it's a director who's happy with the script and convinced of its potential it shouldn't be a problem. But if it's someone with own ideas and who wants to have input...could be difficult.

Yes, but stuff can be changed during filming, as were some important parts of Skyfall.

#42 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Yes, but stuff can be changed during filming, as were some important parts of Skyfall.

Very true. It's perhaps not so much about what can and cannot be changed - almost anything can - than about how early a director wants to become involved with a production. Some like a finished script, even several versions of it, some prefer being right there when the first blank page is filled. And many of the calibre Eon is interested in - Nolan for example - want to have the script exactly tailored, need to have just the kind of story they want to tell. I doubt Mendes would have bothered if the script hadn't picked up just the stuff he needs to have in a production he directs.   

#43 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

The Final Hobbit Movie comes out in Summer 2014. November 2014 was the best release for Bond 24.

If they release the movie in 2015, why not with Mendes?

The final Hobbit movie was pushed back to Xmas 2014...

However, not sure that summer 2014 isn't already too crowded..

May - Transcendence (Sci-fi thriller w/Johnny Depp)

Amazing Spiderman 2

Godzilla

Dawn of Planet of the Apes

June- Jurrassic Park 4

Ninja Turtles

How to train Dragon 2

Transformers 4

July -  X-Men - Days of Future Past

Hercules (The Rock)

Maleficent (Ang Jolie - big budget live action Sleeping Beauty)

Jupiter Ascending (new Wachowski)

Aug -  Guardians of the Galaxy

That's a pretty full schedule;

Given the Hobbit isn't due out until mid/late December, I would imagine Sony would be confident of keeping Bond in the Thanksgiving time-frame;

remember it was up against the Hobbit this year and the last Twilight pic (similar audience to Hunger Games) so the only difference is the Nolan pic. 

The other option would be to bring it into October but then that loses the Thanksgiving weekend which was huge for them with Skyfall..

#44 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

November/December seems more likely, but I'd love to see another Bond film released in the summer. The last one was Licence To Kill and that was 14 years ago. A July release would be cool and see Bond dominate the summer Box Office.

I don't mean to shock you, but LTK was 24 years ago!  :blink:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#45 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

I don't mean to shock you, but LTK was 24 years ago!  :blink:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Damnit, I must've hit the wrong key when typing.