1039 replies to this topic

#1021 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:24 AM

Life After Beth - 2014 - 4/5 - Directed by Jeff Baena - starring Dane Dehaan and Aubrey Plaza

"We really should let Beth know she died."

Life After Beth is a zombie/comedy film, but don't confuse it with something like Shaun Of The Dead, because although both films after similarities, there's ultimate major differences that are pretty visible in both. Life After Beth is a quirky, indie horror comedy film that keeps everything rather low-key in terms of tone and doesn't go for something it isn't. It's both funny and scary, but scary in a sort of weird, quirky way. One day, Beth Slocum (Aubrey Plaza) goes out on a hike by herself and is bitten by a snake which ends up fatally killing her. This leaves her boyfriend, Zach Orfman devastated, and seeking solace from Beth's parents, Maury and Geenie (John C. Reilly and Molly Shannon, respectively). A couple of days after Beth's funeral, The Slocum's start distancing themselves from Zach, not answering the door for him or returning his calls. Finally, Zach gets inside their house and sees that Beth is alive and well. Is it a hoax, Zach tells himself, since they were having relationship issues. Visiting her grave he sees that there's a large hole in ground, indicating that she dug herself out and has returned in the form of a zombie. However, while Zach may be getting a second chance with Beth, stranger things begin to occur around town with others. Is the dead coming back to life?

It's definitely a weird film, but in no way a bad weird. Zombie-Beth is not like your average zombie. She retains memories and can still function perfectly, she's just a little, off. Okay, she's back from the grave and really fucking weird. While to Zach this is great, it's also strange as he feels she should be notified that she did in fact die, but came back, resurrected as a zombie and not Jesus. This is a conflict for Zach as he doesn't know if it's worth telling her or not. Beth's parents insist not to, fearing it could lead to trouble. In the end it leads up to everything going to S*** and becoming practically full-blown Night Of The Living Dead, but it still doesn't let the film stray too far off. Life After Beth is certainly a fine addition to the genre after pretty much being dried to that one AMC television show, and breathed some fresh air into the scene. I feel today's generation of undead/zombie fans sort of screwed it up with The Walking Dead, so having a different type of zombie film come around is nothing more than a warm welcome to me. The acting is great all throughout with the emphasis focusing heavily Zach and his relationship with Beth. Dane Dehaan is great as the leading role, though he could come off as nearly being borderline emo, it's justifiable though, being that his character is a young adult (18-20) and there's really no real way to cope with the loss of someone you love. I've always been a fan of Aubrey Plaza's sarcastic, deadpan humor and I think she was absolutely perfect for Beth. Seeing her further zombie transformations throughout the film is hilarious to watch.

I can definitely say that I deeply enjoyed Life After Beth. It's a nice addition to the genre and works on many levels. It's greatly developed, well acted, and darkly humorous. Definitely worth a watch.

"Things are really complicated between us, you know? Like kind of f***** up. Now, I just kind of wish she would stay dead."

Birdman - 2014 - 4/5 - Directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu - starring Michael Keaton and Edward Norton

"You're not an actor. You're a celebrity."

Well this film really completely took me by surprise. I went in to Birdman as the youngest person in the theater auditorium as well as having seen no trailer. I saw a twenty second ad on television once, but even then it didn't peak my interest. It was really the high praise on Letterboxd and others that made me consider seeing this. I think Alejandro González Iñárritu is a good director, but he's definitely not my favorite by all means, I think he has some good films, but they've still left me wanting a bit more from them. Here with Birdman he really goes all out and creates a darkly humorous, practically borderline tragedy film. Not to mention it's the Michael Keaton comeback we've all been waiting for.

Riggan Thomson is a washed-up Hollywood actor one the major downside of his career. He's best known for his portrayal as the superhero "Birdman" in three blockbuster films, but he's striving to be different and to ultimately distance himself from Birdman. He takes to the theater stage by writing, directing, and starring in Raymond Carver's short story "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love". Dealing with money issues and conflicts (both inner and outer) with himself and others, such as extreme method stage actor, Mike Shiner (Edward Norton). With disaster during each play rehearsal, Riggan continues to make efforts on putting on a good show all while dealing with the voice of Birdman from inside that mocks him.

Getting this off the bat first, the plot to Birdman is really basic. There's just not a whole lot to it. That's not necessarily a bad thing at all. It's almost as if the film plays out like a dream from the way it's told in a single-take style of filmmaking, to the narrative structure, and even the obscure powers that Riggan seems to posses (flight and telekinesis). At times, the film is quite contradictory to it's own story, and often buys into it's own pretentious nature a bit too much, but it is still in good fun, At least for me. I don't by all means hate it, but I felt there wasn't enough or even at all, an emotional power throughout. Birdman is essentially an actor's film. I think it gives in too much to it's pretension. While it tries to be a satire on "real art" and struggling actors over the likes of say blockbusters, I think it ultimately fell flat.

Where the films shines the most is by far in the acting aspect of the film. It's a high profile cast, and there are no terrible performances at all. Michael Keaton delivers a comeback of the ages and reminds everyone to shake off their Batman and Beetlejuice cobwebs as he reminds them that he truly is a great actor. Edward Norton has always a been a great actor, but it's been forever since he's given a great performance, and he plays off of Keaton quite well. Zach Galifianakis who plays Riggan's best friend and Lawyer was actually quite well in this, which surprised me. To go from playing bumbling idiots in the films like Due Date and The Hangover to this is nice to see, but he's not bad of an actor. Emma Stone actually surprised me as well, if not more than Galifianakis. She's definitely has moments where her acting is weak, but she was great. Much better than playing Gwen Stacey. Only issue was that I really had not connection to any of these people in the film.

The look of the film is an interesting one. It's all one take, or rather one lone manipulated take. In the beginning of the film it took a bit to get the hang of, but then it just took me away. Emmanuel Lubezki's cinematography is outstanding and the editing is outstanding as well. However towards the end of the film, the mesmerizing feel it had on me in the very beginning began to wear off and became clear that this was more or less a gimmick. While it was nice to see it utilizing the frantic back-stage work on a stage play, that was it. There's definitely some nice shots throughout the film, but it didn't have the same effect on me towards the end. The score though by Antonio Sanchez, consisting entirely of drums was perfect though. It perfectly set the mood for the setting and for the overall tone. I definitely think that Birdman is far from being anywhere near a masterpiece to even, near-perfect. I'm glad It's been a while since I've seen this, as if I wrote this review right when I got home, I probably would exclaimed it to be a masterpiece. Taking the night off and actually sleeping on my thoughts of it really didn't hinder my overall enjoyability of the film. No, I still think it was absolutely hilarious and well made in the acting department, but the aspects that were supposed, or rather inclined to dazzle us and submerse us in the film didn't work on me. Really getting to think over the film's nature, I got too fully see the mocking and the pretentious nature, as this film just tries a bit too hard to be smart, or clever.

Having said all of that, I still found it to be entertaining, which is rare because after writing all of that you could probably assume I'm going to call the film disappointing. Well, in some parts, yes, it is a bit disappointing, but I still found it to be very good. I might be giving it too high of a rating, but that's what a rewatch in the future is for. To see if I can justify it. There's no doubt this film will be all over the Academy Awards, which is a shame, because though it's primarily an actor's film, I just see this getting too much unwarranted love, that I think it truly doesn't need. Then again, aside from all the Oscar Bait films that have been released lately, Birdman is definitely much, much better than them.

"Popularity is the slutty little cousin of prestige. "

Exodus: Gods and Kings - 2014 - 4/5 - Directed by Ridley Scott - starring Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton

"Follow me and you will be free. Stay and you will perish."

I'm a fan of Ridley Scott, and I probably always will be. He's created some visually stunning masterpieces and violent epics, as well as truly divisive, yet fucking perfect films. However it seems as though in the last five to ten years, he's sort of lost his touch. I disagree, as I believe Scott is is making films from a storyteller's perspective. After all that's what a director does, right? His films as of late seem to be either you love 'em or you 'hate em. While I'm slowly appreciating Prometheus and I'm part of the few that just absolutely loves The Counselor, Exodus: Gods And Kings is yet another visually stunning film from the legendary director.

Ridley Scott's film is the interpretation of The Exodus. It takes place in 1300 BC and follows Moses (Christian Bale) a general and member of the royal family and brother to Prince Ramesses (Joel Edgerton). A prophecy is told to them that one will save the other in battle and will become a leader, and as it turns out, Moses saves Ramesses' life in battle. Moses is then sent to the city of Pithom to meet Hegep (Ben Mendelsohn), the man who oversees the Hebrew slaves. It is then where he meets Nun (Ben Kingsley) who informs him that he is the child of Hebrew parents who was sent by his sister Miriam to be raised by the Pharaoh's. Moses, upset leaves and returns to Egypt, where Seti (John Turturro) has died and now Ramesses has been crowned the new Pharaoh. Hegep arrives and tells Ramesses the true story of Moses, after two Hebrew slaves overheard Nun's story. Conflicted, Ramesses doesn't know whether or not to believe the story, and instead of killing Moses, he instead exiles him. Having been banished from Egypt, Moses starts a new life as a shepherd and has revelations with God, who tells him to rise up against Egypt and to lead the enslaved Hebrews out of there and to freedom. Strange occurrences also begin to happen to Egypt, as the ten plagues start to affect Egypt.

One thing is for sure, Exodus: Gods And Kings was definitely better than Noah. Now, Ridley Scott surely knows how to deliver great epic films, and this film is surely not exempt from that. If there's something I've noticed with Scott now, is that being an atheist (Scott), he presents a crystal clear line of religious themes in films such as this and others. He doesn't try to completely change the story, but rather do his spin on it, but still keeping everything in tact. With a film like this, Scott likes to look at the characters more so, humanizing them. In time like this in ancient Egypt, man ruled like Kings, but believed themselves to be much higher than that; Gods. The kings believed in Gods, but to them, they were no match for the power they had. In the beginning we have scene of Moses exclaiming to Nun that his God is not right and essentially doesn't exist, further reiterating that Man was God. Moses was a Hebrew, and it always made perfect sense for God to showcase his power to him as well as choosing him to lead the enslaved Hebrews out of Egypt. Moses was always a natural leader.

At two and a half hours it's certainly an interesting film as Scott tackles on various themes and conflicts in characters. While Moses is the sole leader and hero of this film, we are always lead to believe that Ramesses is opposite, the sole villain, which to an extent, is true. However, Scott shows Ramesses in a different light, in a conflicted light. We know that Ramesses rules with an iron fist, however he's portrayed as this sympathetic character. He was never meant to be the ruler, that wasn't the way the prophecy went. He never wanted to kill Moses, nor expel him, Moses is his brother (adopted). Ramesses is capable of being a good man, a loving man, but ultimately his ruling and his power of wanting to be a God, led to his downfall. Technically, this film is absolutely fantastic. The cinematography is some of the best in a Scott film in recent memory. But what really shines is the visual effects. Now, I'm not entirely keen on CGI, but I do feel that if done what and only when it is necessary, it can truly be wonderful. The trailer made this seem like some sword & sandals, 3D disaster film, but ultimately it didn't turn out that way. The effects on the plagues were just visually stunning, like the rest of the film. Scott truly has a visionary eye and while to some he may not have a clear cut style that is worthwhile consistent, It's how he uses his visual eye, and with large scale films, it's definitely evident. While it's disaster, it's also tragedy. Now I'm just starting to ramble on, but Ridley certainly knows how to do visually stunning, large scale films.

The acting all around is great, as Christian Bale is ever so great as Moses, and his performance in this is certainly better than it was in last year's American Hustle. For me, the absolute best performance was by far Joel Edgerton's turn as Ramesses. He really captured the character well and showed him different views. The rest of the cast is rounded off by John Turturro, Sigourney Weaver, Aaron Paul, Ben Mendelsohn, and Ben Kingsley, who all turn in great performances. Call it whitewashing all want, but to me, I thought they all did there job very well, though it was a bit iffy seeing Edgerton as Ramesses at first I ultimately fully accepted him in the role.

One of the biggest flaws in the film is by far the narrative structure. The film spans several, several years, but the first act is by far the worst. The editing just feels atrocious as it pretty much cuts and chops it's way through what would feel like crucial scenes that lead to overall story and depth development, just to get to Moses' exile and the ten plagues. While it's certainly engaging, It just doesn't feel like it flows when you compare the first act to the last three. It feels very disjointed and jarring. Now I heard that the first cut of the film was just over four hours long, so to me, that tells that there was definitely a lot of stuff cut out. I've always been a long fan of Ridley's Director's Cuts. No matter what was added in or changed, I find them to be overall better than theatrical cuts. While The Counselor just added in a few filler scenes, I still liked it, and I definitely prefer the Director's cuts of American Gangster and Gladiator over the theatrical cuts.

As a whole, I enjoyed Exodus: Gods And Kings probably just a tad more than I did after watching it and now putting my thoughts on this together. While I have some issues with structure of the film, as well as minor gripes, I still think it's a solid film and a nice addition to Scott's filmography. I can see why this is dividing some, but it's really not that bad, and it certainly nowhere near as divisive as Scott's last film The Counselor. Scott is still a terrific director, and I still will go out and see his work.

"You can stop living like a king. You're not one."

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 2014 - 0/5 - Directed by Jonathan Liebesman - starring Megan Fox and Will Arnet

Back in 1990 when the live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film came it, it was a giant success. It was campy as can be, though it was still pretty entertaining and hilarious for people of all ages, and most importantly it stayed grounded like the original comics were. While the sequel wasn't nearly as great, I did find myself enjoying the 2007 CGI animated TMNT immensely. I've always felt that if another Ninja Turtles film was too be made it should just be animated, as I don't think live action can truly do the justice now, like the 1990 film did. Well, Michael Bay's produced reboot is pretty much what I expected it to be. Absolute garbage and a slap in the face to classic franchise.

The film is set in present day and follows Channel 6 news reporter, April O'Neil (Megan Fox) who finds herself interesting in researching for a case on the Foot Clan. One night at the docks, she sees the Foot Clan unloading cargo, only to be ambushed by unknown vigilante's. She tells this to fellow coworkers but no one believes her story. Later, the Foot Clan attack a subway station and hold hostage as a means to lure out the mysterious vigilantes, and it turns out that they're teenage mutant ninja turtles. April eventually teams up with the turtles to put an end to the Foot Clan's reign of terror on New York, as well as learn more on these mysterious turtles.

If there was just one good thing about this film it's easily Will Arnet, though his role is pretty much resorted to the obligatory human comical relief character, but Arnet is the S***. Everything else, was like Michael Bay and Co. strapping me in a chair and pouring acid on my eyes. That's no exaggeration. The funny thing is, Michael Bay didn't direct this, only produced, but director Jonathan Liebesman's style in this film is literally, the same as Bay's (see Transformers 1-4). After watching this, I feel that Liebesman was just a ghost director and Bay really was behind the camera yelling action. Probably BS, but Jesus Christ, this had no sort of individuality to it. It probably could be set in the same universe as the Transformers films, just based on the visual filming style alone. It's as if Liebesman was contempt on making this look like typical Bay flare.

The biggest slap in the face is easily the change in how the turtles become ninjas. Originally a mysterious ooze is poured into the sewers and it spills onto the turtles and it mutates them. Here, they're the products of mutation experiments. While I could see this as being much more plausible and easier to pass by than the ooze, I feel like Bay also slapped me in the face (in addition to pouring acid in my eyes). I understand that sometimes, certain origins should be changed, or at least modified, but here it felt so cliche, like you've seen it a thousand times. Not to mention, I don't care how much CGI was used on the turtles, they look so damn cartoony, especially Splinter. I'm still not keen on CGI being excessive and I understand that in 2014, actors in turtle suits would be a joke in a blockbuster like this, but it's like the effects artists didn't care at all how they looked.

There was once a time, back in my early high school years where I had a massive crush on Megan Fox (go ahead at pelt me tomatoes, I deserve it.), now in my twenties, I don't know what I was thinking, as Fox most certainly can't act, which leads me to ask this: Who at Paramount thought it was a good move to cast her as April O'Neil? She has zero charisma as the character and to mention, the film overall plot is focused more on her than that of the actual turtles. Yes, there's indeed turtle action to probably satisfy certain people, but It's mainly emphasized on O'Neil. Also worth mentioning that all the comedic moments, particularly from Michelangelo fell completely flat and came off more annoying than actually funny or clever. Then there's also the fact the entire film is predictable as can be, which only makes it worse.

Sounds like I watched this with the idea of already hating it, but that's not true. Like most films that looks underwhelming or just plain awful, there's always the chance that it'll turn out to be good. That wasn't the case here with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. This is probably the worst film, or at least one of the worst films of the year that I've seen. I think next time I'll just TMNT, as I have huge soft-spot for that one. As for the rest of you guys, you probably have the right mind to stay away from this, and that's exactly what you should do: STAY AWAY FROM THIS.

Batman: Assault On Arkham - 2014 - 3.5/5 - Directed by Ethan Spaulding & Jay Oliva - starring Kevin Conroy and Troy Baker

"I'm here, b******! And I've got favors for everyone!"

I usually try and stay away from most animated films, especially straight-to-video ones that are only from existing properties from such comic film studios. Not to mention, a lot of animated films now just have a rather boring look to them. Well, I have to say, I was surprised by Batman: Assault On Arkham very much, as it pleased me on several levels.

The Riddler is on the run after escaping Arkham and Amanda Waller, only to be caught and returned to Arkham by none other than the caped crusader, Batman. Amanda Waller calls together the Suicide Squad (Deadshot, Harley Quinn, Killer Frost, Black Spider, Captain Boomerang, King Shark, KGBeast) for a mission to infiltrate Arkham Asylum and steal valuable information from Riddler. Meanwhile, there's a dirty bomb in the city of Gotham, placed by The Joker that has Batman on his own agenda.

When it comes to animated Batman series', the 1990's animated series is by far my favorite. It had phenomenal episodes with awesome writing and voice acting, as well as a nice mature overture to it, while still being fun for kids, but maintaining a sense of brood to it. Assault On Arkham may have the dark knight himself in it, but this honestly isn't his animated film. This one belongs to the Suicide Squad, and I'm perfectly okay with that. Batman has his few moments, but we really get to see the mischievous gang of villains do their work. It has humor in it which was a nice addition, and Harley Quinn really takes the spotlight in this one with not only her hilarity, but overall bada**-ness (then again, I've always been a Harley Quinn fan). The story, for not having Batman as the focal point, was actually quite well, and it's got a lot of nice action moments to it. Another great factor for me was the actual overall animated look and feel this had. It had a very 90's - anime look to it, which I was able to connect more with, than most animated films out there. Part of that has to do with the fact that I've grown up with this style, but I just found it to be visually appealing. It's also very violent too for an animated film, especially one from DC Comics, which I loved as well. It's a load of fun.

Overall, Batman: Assault On Arkham is quite a good animated film for featuring a minimal amount of Batman, and it gives a nice focus on the Suicide Squad. Definitely worth a watch for comic fans, this was a nice treat.

"The Joker has a dirty bomb? That gives me the chills."

Dumb and Dumber To - 2014 - 2.5/5 - Directed by The Farrelly Brothers - starring Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels

"Show us your t***!"

I'll be honest here, I wasn't really a major fan of the first Dumb and Dumber film. It has it's moments and can be funny, but it just isn't my cup of tea. It's not that I don't hate it, but I don't like it either, I just think it's got a few moments, but nothing worth writing home about. When the sequel was green-lit, all I really could think was "why?". Well as it turns out, Dumb and Dumber To was pretty funny and slightly consistent with the original, if not being a blatant rehash, though it's far from being laugh-out loud hilarious.

Taking place twenty years after the first film, Lloyd Christmas (Jim Carrey) has been committed at a mental institution and has been cared for by Harry Dunne (Jeff Daniels), until one day he realizes that Lloyd has been pranking him all this time. Harry tells Lloyd that he needs a kidney transplant so they go to Harry's parents but as turns out (again) Harry is adopted and needs one from a blood relative. As he sorts through some old junk mail he finds a postcard from Fraida Felcher (Kathleen Turner) that she's pregnant. They go to Fraida, but it's too late, by about twenty-two years. With a piece of mail, they travel to Maryland to find that Harry's Daughter, Penny (Rachel Melvin), is the daughter to a rich-scientist who is now traveling to El Paso, Texas to give a speech and the two set out to find her.

For what it's worth, I'm definitely rating this probably half a star too high. It's been twenty years in between films, and I really enjoyed seeing Carrey and Daniels snap back into characters like it was yesterday, considering how much time and other projects have passed. Though I was not a fan of the original, it had some moments to it. That's pretty much the same with this sequel. It has it's moments where it is indeed funny, others where it falls just shy of being and the rest of being just simply flat. It's definitely a bit more cruder with the sexual jokes, which I don't remember being entirely in the first film. I think one of the absolutely worst parts of this film is the third act. It's just cliche-central and forces a twist on you which I feel wasn't necessary and it just felt as if there was no end to it.

All in all, This probably could have been a bit funnier, but then again I was never a fan of the original. This has some decent funny parts in it, but the rest is just not all that appealing. I would only recommend watching this if you're a fan of the original film.

"You either go home and face the music, or you suffocate in your own pee."

Pompeii - 2014 - 1/5 - Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson - starring Kit Harrington and Emily Browning

"For those of us about to die, we salute you. I die a free man!"

I had tried watching this one several months ago but couldn't stomach no more than fifteen minutes or so. It was that awful. So why did I come back to this? Well, I had a long week so I guess why not. No particular reason. Anyways, It probably helped with Pompeii as I didn't think it was one of the worst films I have ever seen (it's pretty awful), but there was still some enjoyment to it. It was still bad though. Set in A.D. 79, Pompeii follows Milo (Kit Harington), a gladiator who comes from a tribe of Celtic horsemen who had been brutally wiped out seventeen years prior. A Slave owner, Graecus (Joe Pingue) is impressed with how Milo makes quick work in the battlefield, and brings him and fellow slaves to Pompeii. There, Milo slowly develops a relationship with Cassia (Emily Browning) as well as Senator Corvus (Kiefer Sutherland) working with Cassia's father, Severus (Jared Harris) on re-developing the city of Pompeii. Milo is thrust into the gladiator arena where he develops a close friendship with Atticus (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje). However, little does everyone know that the mountain near Pompeii, Vesuvius, is about to erupt, sending everyone to their impending doom.

Now, when I say this had some enjoyment, I'm merely talking about the cheese factor in this film. Director Paul W.S. Anderson turns it all the fucking way up, creating a melodramatic, romantic-disaster film that tries to channel its inner Titanic. The acting is incredibly hilariously, both in a good and bad way, and the action scenes are just terrible. Maybe I'm feeling those drinks I had still, but do NOT mistaken me for liking this film. I didn't like it. It just happened to be big budget, cheesy B-Movie. At times it's ridiculous where it's borderline "So bad, It's so good" and the rest just utter crap. Kit Harington pretty much reprises his role of Jon Snow from "Game Of Thrones" so there's that. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is just as bad** and cool as he was as Mr. Eko on "Lost". Then there's Jack Bauer, Kiefer Sutherland. I'm not a fan of the show "24" or with Sutherland's blatant yelling as acting, but my god was he so... Hammy in this. His accent, his overacting, everything. He is the epitome of cheese in Pompeii.

Pompeii has several things wrong with it though, and one of which was the large amount of aerial shots. I get it, you're showing us the mountain. The villa(s). The city. The arena (etc.). You don't have to make every other scene begin with a damn aerial shot. Yes, you're trying to show a representation of this once royal, ancient city, but it's highly unnecessary. The editing isn't bad, unless it's the more suspense filled/action sequences, then it's just absolutely horrible. It's as if the editor didn't know how to properly cut a fight scene in half, but still make it interesting. It was so jarring during those scenes and laughably bad. The romantic angle of the film felt incredibly forced, I'm supposed to believe that an angry, pissed off gladiator who is frustrated with the world and wants vengeance will just stop momentarily for the girl? I don't buy it. It felt as if it was put there as a means to make it different from most sword & sandal films. Oh, and the horse whisperer scenes were appalling.

In the end, I ask myself, "Did you really need to sit down and watch this? Of all films and of all days, this?". No, I didn't. Pompeii is horrible, but I did get a few laughs out of it. As for Anderson. I'm still not a fan. I like the first Resident Evil film immensely, but that's about it.

"It is the gods. They have a plan for us all."

Two Days, One Night - 2014 - 4/5 - Directed by The Dardenne Brothers - starring Marion Cotillard and Fabrizio Rongione

For Two Days, One Night It'd been in my watchlist for some time, as well as recommended to me by a friend. I've heard nothing but great things about this film Belgian/French film, and I have nothing but great things to say about Two Days, One Night after seeing it. Marion Cotillard plays Sandra Bya, a young wife and mother who has taken time off from her job at Solwal, small solar-panel factory in the town of Liege, Belgium. During her time off, the other workers are able to cover her absence by working slightly longer and the management staff propose a bonus of 1,000 Euros to 16 workers, if they can all agree that Sandra isn't needed. Sandra returns to work to find out about this and that she's just been laid off essentially. However, her boss, Dumont (Batiste Sornin) agrees to hold another ballot for the staff to determine if Sandra can keep her job. The only problem is the Ballot is just a little over 48 hours away. Sandra decides to pay visits to each of her 16 co-workers in attempts persuade them to reject the bonus and voter for her to keep her job, so her family doesn't have to struggle.

This drama film actually was gripping, or rather emotionally gripping. Can you put yourselves in Sandra's shoes? Could you pay visits to all of your co-workers and try and reason with them to reject the bonus to keep your job? Bonus money that possibly might need due to being in dire straits themselves. For me, No, I couldn't. I consider myself to be a strong-willed person, but I couldn't do what she did. Why? Anxiety being the biggest, I don't possibly know how to just ask someone to vote against a bonus that they deserve for their hard work just I can keep my job. I would just take the gamble and hope it'd go in my favor. For Sandra, she does exactly what I wouldn't do, and I call that courageous (maybe the wrong word). It takes a lot of will to persuade someone to do something like that, and we see the emotional effects in the film. It effects Sandra in many ways, such as when someone says yes, she gets a glimmer of a sort of hope, but when it's no, she's just ready to give up. That's not a bad thing since I'd want to do (should I do so), which leaves her family being the driving force, specifically her husband to pick her up and put her back on path.

We also see how some co-workers, despite needing the money will just vote for her not out of pity, but because it's someone's job on the line. Someone's way of making ends meet and providing for their family. A situation they've been in before. Then there's co-workers who will do it for the love of Sandra, because she is a good person, and her job and welfare matters more than a bonus. Then we see how for others persuasion, or rather begging to them, isn't good enough. They won't budge at all and to them it's just tough S***. Deal with it. For being a rather basic film, it does get repetitive, but not in a way that would suggest it becoming predictable or boring. You don't know what each co-worker will say. Throughout the course of the 95 minutes duration, your rooting for Sandra and you want to hope that each 16 co-workers will say yes, but the film plays out to realistically and you know that just isn't possible. That's to me what made this all the more enjoyable and overall great. Not to mention Marion Cotillard's performance is worth watching this alone. She carries the film so well and her acting is outstanding, along with the rest of the cast.

In the end, Two Days, One Night is a superb film that is emotionally provocative, and definitely one of the year's finest films. I greatly enjoyed watching this.

Foxcatcher - 2014 - 5/5 - Directed by Bennett Miller - starring Steve Carell and Channing Tatum

"Coach is a father. Coach is a mentor. Coach has great power, great import on an athlete's life."

Foxcatcher is a film that first caught my attention several, several months ago. Looking further into it I realized this was about John du Pont and the Schultz Brothers, something that has already interested me from a story point of view. I've always thought of du Pont as a very interesting person, even after his incarceration. A rather erratic, misunderstood, and paranoid man. Yet there was always something about him that interested me deep down. I really couldn't put it into complete perspective until now, after watching Bennett Miller's film. Mark Schultz (Channing Tatum) is an Olympic wrestler who is mentored and trained by his older brother, Dave (Mark Ruffalo). Mark lives a really simple life which consists entirely of just training on the mats. He has a quiet, normal life, until one day he receives a phone of John du Pont requesting a meet with him on his Foxcatcher farm. There, We are introduced to du Pont where we learn that he is a philanthropist, ornithologist, and a philatelist. Among others, he is an avid enthusiast of wrestling and he wants Mark to train at his Foxcatcher wrestling facility on his ground, assemble a team and a win an Olympic gold medal for him.

Foxcatcher is essentially another biopic film, however I would argue that it is one that is done more than well. Bennett Miller's film carries from the opening shot to the last a sense of dread. Almost like an impending doom. Those that know the real the story will know how it ends, those who don't will be in a shocker of course. Foxcatcher is a dark film in a minimalist sense. It's definitely far from being an average biopic as Miller pretty much throws the book on making an average biopic right out the window. Instead, what we get is a true crime film that is much more disturbing. Miller never goes out of his depth for sheer shock or rather for our amusement. He keeps the film grounded very well and doesn't stray off of what the basis of the film is. He presents us our characters and leads them along the way perfectly, especially du Pont. John du Pont was not a very good person, as evident in the film and the real life incident. Miller notes this and while he doesn't try to make us sympathize with du Pont, he rather wants us to know that this person this character is deeply disturbed. Like I said, I've always found him to be an interesting man, and you see that in this film, but you also see how he can be a rather terrifying one as well, not through sheer violence for that matter of effect, but through just presence alone.

The acting alone is worth watching this, as Steve Carell totally encompasses the screen as du Pont. Under layers of make-up, Carell looks literally unidentifiable as du Pont and he really captures the essence of the disturbed nature behind du Pont and really brings this character and how he was true so brilliantly. Hard to believe this is being done by the same guy who rose to quick fame from being The 40-Year-Old Virgin. That aside, The biggest surprise of the film was seeing Channing Tatum take a dramatic turn. We saw glimmers of it in Soderbergh's Side Effects but it doesn't compare to this film. I would say that Tatum, at times, sometimes surpasses his fellow cast mates, including Carell. He really proves that under great direction and writing he can truly shine. Mark Ruffalo who plays Dave Schultz is also utterly fantastic in this as well. Simply solid acting throughout. For a biopic film, it was incredibly atmospheric, something I don't normally find in most biopics. It's a very dark (I need to stop using this word) and sinister film as it goes on, and the atmosphere just gets bleaker. Technically speaking this film is just flawless, every shot is carefully orchestrated and done so beautifully. The wrestling scenes are shot extremely, though I attribute those more because of the editing, which I felt was great during those. There's several beautiful moments in the film, though they lie under something more dreary of course. There's something that's just haunting to look at in the film, and I just couldn't put my tongue on it. Greig Frasier's work here is seriously outstanding.

You know it's funny, after this was over I had a million things I wanted to talk about regarding Foxcatcher. Since I've opened up notepad to begin writing my review, I just find myself having a harder time trying to express how I feel about it. I though Denis Villeneuve's Enemy was hard to review (still do to, though I love the film), this felt harder and I feel as if I'm just forcing thoughts together. Maybe that's because Foxcatcher is just one hell of a film and left me nearly speechless. I don't know. Honestly, don't take my word for it. See it for yourself. This is one film I know I'll be coming back to. Goddamn you, Bennett Miller.

"I am a patriot, and I want to see this country soar again."

Paranormal Activity: The Marked One - 2014 - 1/5 - Directed by Christopher B. Landon - starring Jorge Diaz and Andrew Jacobs

I totally forgot about this fifth Paranormal Activity film and saw it while I was scrolling through Netflix on my tv in the middle of the night. Still not entirely sure why I ended up choosing this, but whatever. I'm not a fan at all of the Paranormal Activity films, and I find each of the subsequent sequels to really test my patience. With this installment, they producers thought it'd be a great idea to change the setting and just overall introduce us to new characters and a new surrounding. What we get instead is pretty much that as well as a slight retread of the previous films and racial stereotypes. June 2012, Oxnard, California, recent high school graduate, Jesse (Andrew Jacobs) lives in an apartment complex with his father and grandmother. Below him lives Ana (Gloria Sandoval), a woman that everyone believes to be a sort of witch, and one night she is murdered in her apartment as well as a former classmate, Oscar (Carlos Pratts), who flees from the apartment. Jesse and his friends Hector and Marisol (Jorge Diaz and Gabrielle Walsh, respectively) then head into her apartment and discover strange cultist and witchcraft items. Afterwards, little by little strange occurrences begin to happen to Jesse and everything is of course documented along the way.

Like I stated in the beginning of the review, I'm not fond of the franchise, however the idea of a new setting and characters did intrigue me so I figured why not. And as usual it was bad, though not entirely bad, but still bad (sorry for being a tad confusing). The new setting is in a predominately Hispanic neighborhood and for the life of the film, it can't stay away from stereotypes. For being a film that was made to target Hispanic audiences it really covers practically all stereotypes, no joke. As a Caucasian male with Hispanic heritage (among others) in my family, I'm sort of offended actually. The acting as usual is atrocious, so that's not new, and while it's new setting/characters, It is keen on babying us the entire first act by practically rehashing everything we already know. What was good was the fact that there were a few more suspenseful moments. Whether they worked or not isn't really a factor, it's that for once the filmmakers were finally working on adding in more tense-like scenes instead of "DUDE, I'M FILMING WEIRD STUFF, LMAO", and not just saving the last twenty minutes to go all out. However, everything was too predictable as always and too formulaic. Instead of being a sort of one-and-done installment, it still insisted on trying to thrust itself into the main story arc. It delves, or dips rather into the same cult of the main story but that's it. It still doesn't really provide more answers, but more questions. There's some things in this installment that will tie into the main series as well. So why not just call it Paranormal Activity 5? Why give it a subtitle and say it's not directly related when it is? Who knows, all I know is that Oren Peli's wallet is fatter than mine.

If you're a fan of this franchise then I suppose you should check this out, if not, you're not missing much. Just another found footage "horror film".

LOOKING FORWARD TO: (Most anticipated are highlighted in bold and red)

Inherent Vice

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies

American Sniper

HAVE SEEN:

RoboCop - 1/5

Need For Speed - 4/5

Sabotage - 1.5/5

Nymphomaniac - 4/5

300: Rise Of An Empire - 0/5

Takedown: The DNA Of GSP - 4/5

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 3/5

Neighbors - 0/5

Godzilla - 2.5/5

X-Men: Days Of Future Past - 5/5

The Raid 2 - 0/5

22 Jump Street - 4/5

Deliver Us From Evil - 4/5

Under The Skin - 5/5

Edge Of Tomorrow - 4.5/5

Non-Stop - 3/5

The Monuments Men - 1/5

Locke - 4/5

Enemy - 4.5/5

The Purge: Anarchy - 3.5/5

The Expendables 3 - 2/5

Lucy - 3.5/5

Joe - 4.5/5

Snowpiercer - 4.5/5

Noah - 2.5/5

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - 1.5/5

Guardians Of The Galaxy - 3.5/5

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - 3.5/5

Dom Hemingway - 3.5/5

Transcendence - 2.5/5

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 5/5

Chef - 4.5/5

The Signal - 3.5/5

3 Days To Kill - 1/5

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 0/5

I, Frankenstein - 0/5

Boyhood - 5/5

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For - 2/5

Houdini - 3/5

Maleficent - 1/5

Brick Mansions - 2/5

Into The Storm - 0/5

Let's Be Cops - 3.5

Gone Girl - 5/5

Wolf Creek - 3.5/5

Stretch - 4.5/5

Open Windows - 3/5

Dracula Untold - 2/5

Annabelle - 0/5

The Town That Dreaded Sundown - 4/5

Interstellar - 5/5

Nightcrawler - 5/5

A Most Wanted Man - 4.5/5

The Rover - 4.5/5

Fury - 3.5/5

The Salvation - 2.5/5

Sex Tape - 2/5

The Equalizer - 2/5

The Judge - 4/5

John Wick - 5/5

Ouija - 0/5

Hercules - 3/5

The Giver - 2.5/5

Maps To The Stars - 5/5

This Is Where I Leave You - 3/5

Automata - 1.5/5

Transformers 4: Age Of Extinction - 2/5

Left Behind - 0/5

Get On Up - 3.5/5

As Above, So Below - 3/5

The Guest - 4.5/5

The Zero Theorem - 2/5

Jersey Boys - 3.5/5

The Babadook - 1/5

The Theory Of Everything - 3/5

St. Vincent - 4/5

The Drop - 4.5/5

Tusk - 4.5/5

Predestination - 4/5

Still Alice - 3/5

Camp X-Ray - 3.5/5

Horrible Bosses 2 - 4/5

Mr. Turner - 2.5/5

Goodbye To Language

Horns - 3.5/5

Life After Beth - 4/5

Birdman - 4/5

Exodus: Gods and Kings - 4/5

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 0/5

Batman: Assault On Arkham - 3.5/5

Dumb and Dumber To - 2.5/5

Pompeii - 1/5

Two Days, One Night - 4/5

Foxcatcher - 5/5

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - 1/5

#1022 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:08 AM

New entries in red

SEEN:

Mitt - 3

In the Blood - 2.5
RoboCop - 2
Non-Stop - 3
300: Rise of an Empire - 1
3 Days to Kill - 2
The Sacrament - 3.5
Godzilla - 0.5
Draft Day - 3
Stretch - 1

Mockingbird - 1

Oculus - 1.5

Stage Fright - 2

Mercy - 2

A Long Way Down - 3

Edge of Tomorrow - 5

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - 2

Sabotage - 1.5

A Million Ways to Die in the West - 0.5

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - 1

Batman: Assault on Arkham - 3.5

Sex Tape - 1

Come Back to Me - 2.5

The Expendables 3 - 2

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 2.5

The Signal - 5

Under the Skin - 2

I, Frankenstein - 0.5

LOOKING FORWARD TO:
The November Man
Gone Girl
The Equalizer
Tusk
Stephen King's A Good Marriage
The Town that Dreaded Sundown
Camp X-Ray
The Babadook

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

#1023 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:31 PM

RAMBO: LAST BLOOD 

http://ca.ign.com/ar...=Zergnet_358411

#1024 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

RAMBO: LAST BLOOD 

LOL!  No one saw that title coming did they?

Hope Sly learnt his lesson with The Expendables 3 by making it R rated like Rambo.

#1025 thecasinoroyale

thecasinoroyale

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14358 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:08 AM

REALLY enjoyed the last 'Rambo' so hope this is of a similar, violent and escapist nature!

#1026 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:21 AM

I don't have an interest in anything from Stallone at all. His best days are long are gone (which is clearly noted), but I just don't care for any upcoming film he has, especially another dreadful installation in the Rambo films.

#1027 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

REALLY enjoyed the last 'Rambo' so hope this is of a similar, violent and escapist nature!

I second this. The last installment fired on all cylinders for me and I'm hoping for more of the same!

#1028 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:39 AM

New entries in red

SEEN:

Mitt - 3

In the Blood - 2.5
RoboCop - 2
Non-Stop - 3
3 Days to Kill - 2
The Sacrament - 3.5
Godzilla - 0.5
Draft Day - 3
Stretch - 1

Mockingbird - 1

Oculus - 1.5

Stage Fright - 2

Mercy - 2

A Long Way Down - 3

Edge of Tomorrow - 5

Sabotage - 1.5

Sex Tape - 1

Come Back to Me - 2.5

The Expendables 3 - 2

The Signal - 5

Under the Skin - 2

I, Frankenstein - 0.5

Ride Along - 0.5

Bad Words - 4

The November Man - 4

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - 2.5

LOOKING FORWARD TO:
Gone Girl
The Equalizer
Tusk
Stephen King's A Good Marriage
The Town that Dreaded Sundown
Camp X-Ray
The Babadook

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Edited by tdalton, 06 January 2015 - 05:21 PM.

#1029 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

Catching up on recent films. Still have to see Birdman, Interstellar, Under The Skin and a load of others, but these are my ratings for 2014. Only went to the cinema once last year, quite ashamed of myself really. Wish I visited more often, although, this has allowed me to see films I'm interested and be spared the average hollywood tosh I've seen advertised this past year. For every one good film, there are about 10 complete stinkers. Anyway, my films of 2014...

5/5

Gone Girl

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Guardians of The Galaxy

Filth

4/5

The Babadook

Silver Linings Playbook

Maps to the Stars

Pride

The Lego Movie

3/5

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Edited by DamnCoffee, 10 January 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#1030 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

(Oops! Posted in wrong thread.)

Edited by dtuba, 10 January 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#1031 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

The Imitation Game - 2014 - 4/5 - Directed by Morten Tyldum - starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley

"Are you paying attention?"

The Imitation Game is one of the better biopic films to come out this year, as well as recent memory. While the trailer for the film left me a bit unfazed, the overall film itself was actually a surprise, as I found it to be better than expected. Is it still Oscar bait? Yes, but at least it's enjoyable as well as being highly interesting too.

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Alan Turing, a highly sophisticated and intelligent man who is recruited by Alastair Denniston (Charles Dance) to help break a German Enigma code that has simply been deemed unbreakable. Turing assembles his team of code-breakers as they attempt to break code, meanwhile Turing is working on a machine called Bombe, an electromechanical device that would help decipher the Enigma and change the tide of the war (World War II, to be exact). The Imitation Game spans three timelines, his work on the Enigma code, his years at a boarding school, and his years after the war where he tragically frowned upon for his sexuality.

I wouldn't call The Imitation Game a thriller film at all as there's nothing remotely thrilling at all, unless Benedict Cumberbatch simply puts you on the edge of your seat, waiting for more, than go figure. It's a drama film, a very well made and competently made one at that. It's also a war film too, but isn't at all overly political. It's more of a behind the scenes war film, seeing how much work and dedication Turing and his team spent trying to break Enigma, which would ultimately help change the tides of the war and put it in the favor of the allies. For a World War II film, it's better than 2014's previous WWII film, Fury by a great deal. We are also shown the genius of Turing and the beginning of computer science and how it progresses.

While we see his genius and intellect, we are also led to believe that he is overly eccentric and possibly even autistic. In reality, Turing wasn't autistic, yes he was a bit eccentric, but it's the flashbacks to his childhood at boarding school that want to think otherwise and that Turing was very socially awkward. He wasn't autistic nor was he remotely socially inept. This course was most likely taken because it would possibly have a bigger impact of someone with things like this being depicted as a true genius. It didn't really work for, as it would've had much more impact, if not more, by just having Turing being Turing, not depicted as otherwise.

The acting is very good here, with the best coming from the leading actor, Benedict Cumberbatch. Cumberbatch is a really good actor, and this is easily his best film to date. Of course people and audiences will still manage to look at him as Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness and Sherlock Holmes on BBC's Sherlock. The Imitation Game is really just a one man show, and his acting is very good. Complex, and layered, though restrained without going into overacting. The rest of the acting is needless to say very good, but none equate to Cumberbatch's performance. Keira Knightley however just didn't do it for me. Probably because I don't particularly find her that great of an actress, but she was just okay here.

The Flashbacks, while they lend us an idea into who he has, I feel could've either been handled differently or just removed entirely. I would've liked it if they took a chance and actually delved more into his sexuality. Turing is an important figure in World War II and history entire, though his sexuality led to his collapse. Back then, it was crime to be a homosexual. A shame, considering how important and crucial he was during that time. I think his sexuality could've been much more front and center than it originally was, while still focusing on Turing and his work and not being distracting. It doesn't frown upon it at all in the film, and it isn't the major factor in it either.

I have to mention this, but is Alexandre Desplat really the go-to composer for basic scores that come into play when something important happens, on top of virtually being unidentifiable? I really cannot stand any of his scores, except for two, which were surprisingly good.

While there's some flaws present in the film, The Imitation Game is surely a very well made film. Sure it's dramatization of Turing is a bit questionable (for me at least), but it is definitely one of the better biopic films of 2014, and at least better Oscar Bait than say The Theory Of Everything.

"Sometimes it is the people no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine."

American Sniper - 2014 - 4.5/5 - Directed by Clint Eastwood - starring Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller

"If you think that this war isn't changing you you're wrong. You can only circle the flames so long."

American Sniper is directed by Clint Eastwood and tells the story of Chris Kyle, SEAL Team 3 soldier for the U.S. military and is the most lethal sniper in U.S. military history. The film chronicles his early life as a child and a young man, before thrusting us front and center to the battle hardened Navy SEAL who would serves four tours of duty in the middle east. Kyle was the subject to numerous attempts of IED killings, six actually, and had a bounty placed on his head during the war. American Sniper also shows the effects of war on a soldier and the mental side in the film and doesn't stray away to being filled with unnecessary politics and propaganda. It's a war film, a biography, and one about a man who did a great deal of service to his country, who's life was tragically taken away by a fellow soldier coping with PTSD that he was trying to help.

If I told you that this was Clint Eastwood's best film as a director since Unforgiven you'd probably call me crazy. War films, specifically those about the wars present, tend to have an effect on me. WWII films are played out. Why is it these modern war films just have an enduring effect on me? Maybe it's because I have friends in several different branches in the military or because my dad is a former U.S. Marine, or because I too nearly joined the Navy (and still think about this). I don't know, I guess it's all of it really. A friend of my sisters pulled two tours in Iraq, and is now suffering from PTSD, and it's hard to see him try and cope with the horrors of war he's seen.

One of the biggest things Eastwood and screenwriter Jason Hall do is present this film as not just an action-war film. It focuses on the mental side, and the horrific and grueling side effects war leaves on you -- especially after pulling four tours. We see why Kyle enters the military, reasons being the conflict in the middle east as well as to serves his country. He goes in a normal man but comes out a different one. The things he's experienced, from having to take lives from children that mean to inflict danger on those you are set to watch over. From taking heavy fire and not knowing if this is going to be the end. War changes everyone, and for some, you become so conditioned to it, you just go back and back. Four tours of duty is a lot on the mind.

A normal life at home wasn't so normal for Chris Kyle, so he kept going back, because that's what your conditioned for. Being a known Republican, I was surprised that Eastwood didn't attempt to make this a film of propaganda or politics. Of course there will be people that will say that the boot camp scenes are propaganda for ways to draw viewers into joining the military, or that the film is keen on showing a glimpse of 9/11 solely political reasons. American Sniper is biography film, showing the life of a man, but most importantly, his troubles and dangerous sides of war.

When I heard Bradley Cooper was going to play Kyle, I was scratching my head. Could it work, I thought to myself. Then I saw a picture of a bearded, bulked up, military fatigues wearing Cooper and saw the dedication he put himself through in trying to accurately playing this man. And you can see it. Anyone can put on a uniform, grow a beard, bulk up and grab an M4A1 rifle, but you still need to put in the effort. Bradley Cooper does just that, as he really does justice to the deceased Navy SEAL. He completely transforms and just loses himself in the process and is terrific in the role. Definitely his best role to date and career changer.

When It was announced that Spielberg was doing the film, I wasn't too thrilled, since I don't think he's made a good film in quite some time. When he left and Eastwood came in, I was excited. It feels different than what he's done in the past as a director, and I truly believe this is his best work behind the camera since Unforgiven. He not only manages to capture the emotions and life at home in the states very well, but create tense, thrilling action scenes in the middle east. The man surely knows how to director action scenes as I thought they were done perfectly, shot and edited with precision.

If there's a complaint I have It's that it doesn't really look too far into Kyle. By that, the film doesn't really show the fact that he wasn't too good a person and came off as an a**hole. I attribute that from all of the violence he's seen and done as well. I appreciate what Eastwood and Hall have done here, but It would've been interesting to see how they handle that side of him. However, I'm also graceful of what they showed and displayed of him in the film at the same time. We're able to see the hardships he's been through and ultimately thank him for his contributions and serving us. Maybe including more about him and his personality, would've deterred us away from giving a S***.

I can't say anything else about American Sniper other than I was completely surprised with how well it turned out. The writing is good, the direction from Clint Eastwood is top notch, and Bradley Cooper's performance as Chris Kyle is a marvel. It's a film that I can see getting some flak on here, but I stand by my words proud. This is a fantastic film.

Two silver star medals. Five Bronze star medals (valor). One Navy and Marine Corps commendation medal. 2 Navy and Marine Corps achievement medals. One hundred-sixty confirmed kills, two hundred-fifty five unconfirmed. Longest shot recorded at 2,100 yards away. Chris Kyle, "The Devil of Ramadi".

"I just want to get the bad guys, but if I can't see them I can't shoot them."

The Gambler - 2014 - 2.5/5 - Directed by Rupert Wyatt - starring Mark Wahlberg and Michael K. Williams

"Red or black, all or nothing, all the money down, that's all I'll do."

I reviewed the original The Gambler film (No, not the one with Kenny Rogers, dammit) some weeks ago. It's a terrific film and really shows the degeneration of gambling addiction with one man, Axel Freed. Why Paramount thought remaking this was going to be a great success, I'll probably never know, but The Gambler is nothing more than a modern remake of a hugely underrated film that tries to be more in line with the cynicism of today. In short, It wasn't the piece of S*** I thought it was going to be, but it was still hugely uninspiring.

In Los Angeles, California, Jim Bennett (Mark Wahlberg) is a literature professor who happens to be a compulsive gambler. Jim is $260,000 in the hole and has just seven days to pay his debts to Lee (Alvin Ing), a Korean businessman and Neville Baraka (Michael K. Williams), a loan shark. Jim then turns his attention to his mother, Roberta (Jessica Lange) for the money as well as another loan shark, Frank (John Goodman), who tells him to adopt a "F*** you" attitude in the process.

I think Karel Reisz's original film with James Caan works great as both a drama film and a character study. Toback's script was keen on having Axel Freed being this compulsive gambler and just putting himself further in a hole. He was someone that despite having a severe problem, you sort of wish the best for. William Monahan decides to do the same thing again, making this a character study of Jim Bennett, but it just doesn't work. Bennett comes off too much of an a**hole to even care about, and we can see that through his friends (lack-thereof), students, and family. There's no depth or characterization to Bennett, or even anyone. It's just bland all across the board.

Mark Wahlberg may have sat it on many university lectures and lost sixty-one pounds, but this is far and above his best performance. He lacks charisma, then again, not that he's supposed to play Jim Bennett with any, it's as if he was just bored throughout. As a gambling addict, yeah I can believe him about the same as James Caan. As a professor of English Literature, no, absolutely not. Axel Freed was passionate about his teachings and English literature, Jim Bennett is just an asshole who happens to love Brie Larson. Axel Freed is a character that may not seem likable, especially after gambling $44,000 that was supposed to relieve him from debt, but Bennett is just a moron and someone you just don't care to root for. Maybe he looked at actors like Christian Bale and Jake Gyllenhaal who have lost extreme weight in hopes of getting more recognition, but it doesn't work. Wahlberg simply isn't believable, nor good.

The rest of the performances are pretty much phoned in, including Brie Larson who plays the love interest, but she's just there as a plot device for Bennett to not be that much of a dick and for him to sort of be himself. Until the two go out and he gambles $260,000 away like nothing. The girl was needed for Reisz's film, but here, it's just throwaway. Same thing goes for Jessica Lange's role, who probably could've had more to work with, but ultimate is left with nothing. John Goodman is good along with his interesting "f*** you" philosophy, though he only has four, maybe five scenes. On the other hand, Michael K. Williams was great as loan shark Neville Baraka, then again, Williams has never really been bad in anything. His scenes with Wahlberg are among the best in the film and he's the only one who seems to embrace his character and just have fun.

The film begins interesting, before becoming uninteresting and relying on scenes and aspects of the 1974 film to be updated and retold, rather than completely do new things, take chances and make something that isn't on the heels of being eerily similar of the original film. I didn't care for Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes along with Rupert Wyatt's direction, and I didn't care for it here. He doesn't have any sort of flair that makes anything in the film remotely interesting or appealing to digest. It looks and feels like any other crime film, despite being a drama/gambling film. Instead we get a generic looking film. Funny, since at one time Martin Scorsese was at one time attached to direct with Leonardo DiCaprio set to play Jim Bennett. Maybe Scorsese + DiCaprio could've done wonders with Monahan's script, but we'll never know.

Did I want to like this? In a way, yes, because there are some decent moments in the film, but it's just too keen on being generic and average rather trying to be great, let alone just good. Maybe if Mark Wahlberg actually had his acting switch on, I probably would've liked this more, but in the future I'll just sit down and watch James Caan as Axel Freed in a much more superior film.

"I'm not happy. You know why? Because I'm teaching the modern novel to classroom full of students who don't give a f***."

Whiplash - 2014 - 5/5 - Directed by Damien Chazelle - starring Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons

"There are no two words in the English language more harmful than 'good job'"

As soon as Whiplash had ended, I grabbed my phone, placed in my earbuds and starting playing one of my favorite songs with some of my absolutely favorite drumming. "When The Levee Breaks" by Led Zeppelin. While it certainly isn't of the jazz genre and can come off as sort of basic drummer (I beg to differ), John Bonham's drumming speaks to me the same way Buddy Rich's speaks to Andrew, our main character in Whiplash. I've heard nothing but praise in every aspect of this film. Now that it's ended, I feel incredibly relieved. Whiplash isn't a thriller, but sure had me on the edge of my seat like one. Damien Chazelle has crafted a film that completely blew me away and pretty much took the coveted number one spot for my Top 10 of 2014.

19 year-old Andrew Neiman (Miles Teller) is a jazz drummer who is accepted to the best music school in the United States -- Shaffer Conservatory. There he begins his schooling as a drummer alternate in a class of other musicians under the teacher of Terrence Fletcher (J.K. Simmons). Though everything seems fine as Fletcher appears nice to Andrew, his true side comes out: A master manipulator and a perfectionist of music and sound. After being publicly berated by Fletcher in front of the class, Andrew Spends all of his free time practicing and getting better. As well as hopes of being the core drumming for Fletcher's jazz orchestra on top of earning his respect. Even if it kills him.

Whiplash is taken from the short film of the same name by Chazelle, who adapts it into a full length feature. Normally I'm not to crazy on music based films, and the only one in recent memory that I've liked is Inside Llewyn Davis. Whiplash is above and beyond the most different and darkest I've ever seen. It's expertly written that is just intuitively rich and one of the best screenplays of 2014 I'd say. What starts out like a normal music-based film, takes a left turn the minute we are introduced to Terrence Fletcher. After that, Chazelle takes to Fletcher's Hell. A hell that consists of berating other students, throwing chairs, yelling, spewing out obscenities, etc. He's literally the teacher from hell. He'll use anything he can against you, mentally, to break you down and kick you when you're down. Unless you understand what he wants loud and clear and you follow his tempo, you're just spinning in your own madness.

This review reportedly contains spoilers.
The best way for me to compare Terrence Fletcher is to that of a drill instructor during the boot camp days in the military. My dad was in the Marine Corps. and has stated many times, the hardest part (albeit in the beginning) is to endure them. They simply don't give a damn who you are, and they will be in your face screaming, kicking the S*** out of you until you get the training course correct. It's the mental training. While Fletcher may not be a drill instructor, he certainly acts like one. He simply will not tell you "good job". His methods are indeed way out there, and extreme, but sometimes it takes someone elses madness to bring out the very best in us. That's Terrence Fletcher. You need to be able to get the material down to a T, follow his instructions, and block out his tirades.

In the beginning we think Fletcher is just an asshole who likes to be violent and angry with others, but it isn't until the last half hour of the film, where we begin to think otherwise. He loves music, he loves teaching, and he wants to find the next great jazz musician. It's his methods that just bring out the very best in us. They are indeed extreme, and have actually led to a former student of his to emotional stress and depression, which in turn led to suicide. That tells you, that he is indeed a different kind of teacher. For Andrew, all he want's to do is be a great musician like Buddy Rich. After meeting Fletcher, he wants more than that. He want's his respect and he wants to be the best in his class. Even if it means playing the drums until his fingers begin to bleed, distancing himself from his father, and abruptly stop dating his girlfriend. By the end of the film, wee see how much of an amazing talent he truly can be, and while he may not suddenly like Fletcher all of a sudden, he has at least earned his respect.

The acting is fantastic, no actually, that's an understatement, no adjective can simply describe the acting in Whiplash. Miles Teller comes across as an okay actor to me, but man was he just absolutely amazing here. Displaying a full range of emotions as well as playing off of J.K. Simmons so well. And now I come to Simmons, who is probably a major reason to see Whiplash. Simmons is normally a comedic actor, as I really haven't seen him in much dramatic roles. While he does comedy well, Terrence Fletcher is a character he was born to play. Fletcher fits him perfectly like a glove, he's just spellbinding in this film. You literally cannot take your eyes off of him in each scene he's in. He will make you laugh, he will make you cry, he will make you scream. This is easily his best acting of his career and best supporting role of 2014. If he doesn't get an Oscar Nomination, let alone win the Golden Globe, I'll throw my chair at my tv. He's that good.

Each shot is perfect in every way, whether it's just the basic session scenes, dialogue exchanges, or the concert hall performances, all are great. However, the real beauty to Whiplash is the editing, crisp cuts in scenes. But it's during the drumming sections where it just comes front and center and so sharp and breathtaking. This is one I'll be rewatching in the future just based on the editing alone. It's by far some of, if not the best editing of 2014. Whiplash is just more than a feast for the eyes, it's aesthetically pleasing. Musically, there's no score, just a jazz soundtrack that's outstanding. The sound (editing/mixing) is also perfect as well.

In short, I loved Whiplash more than I anticipated I would. It told me that no matter how extreme people like Terrence Fletcher may be, we need them. We need them because they break us down and we build ourselves back up. We realize our full potential and the very best we have inside of us. Thank you, Damien Chazelle for such an outstanding film.

"I'd rather die drunk, broke at 34 and have people at a dinner table talk about me than live to be rich and sober at 90 and nobody remembered who I was."

Inherent Vice - 2014 - 4.5/5 - Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson - starring Joaquin Phoenix and Josh Brolin

"What's Up, Doc?"

Well here it is, finally saw Inherent Vice. Now what was that that I just watched. I've heard from some people that Thomas Pynchon is quite difficult to adapt, so I have no idea about the novel of this film, and whether it is or not, or whether Pynchon's style best suits Paul Thomas Anderson. What I can say is that I did enjoy this film. I think. I don't know, I have to say it's probably the haziest film of 2014, but it certainly was interesting. It felt different than Anderson's previous film, The Master, but it also feels like a great throwback to the classic noir films of the forties/fifties.

Inherent Vice takes place in 1970 California and follows private detective Larry "Doc" Sportello (Joaquin Phoenix), a pot smoking, hippie. Shasta Fay Hepworth (Katherine Waterston), Doc's ex-girlfriend walks into his beach house and talks to him about her new lover, land developer, Mickey Wolfmann (Eric Roberts), and a plan to get him abducted and committed to an insane asylum. Doc takes a case from Tariq Kahlil (Michael K. Williams) to find Glen Charlock, a bodyguard of Wolfmann's who owes Tariq money. As the film progresses, Doc ends up accepted other cases, which all somehow weirdly appear to be connected someone, and it's up to Doc to solve it all.

Is this a confusing film? Yes and no. It doesn't have any sort of major plot twists that if you miss, the film is up in the air. It's one that really requires you're complete undivided attention, and maybe an extra viewing to full grasp everything. It's also wise to listen to the narrations as well, as they give you insights on what's going on. However, Inherent Vice is actually pretty easy to follow, especially on a first watch. It seems to be getting a divisive approach, which I could see why, but it's far from being horrible. It has a classic approach to it. The more the film progresses, the more stories and characters we're introduced to. This, however, doesn't bog the film down. Doc Sportello is simply a guy who really can't say no. Everything is intended to be a mess of hazy pot smoke, and it's up to the pot head detective to piece it all together. Each character and sub-plot is essentially vital in piecing together a much bigger puzzle for Doc.

The trailer doesn't really do the film justice, as it was marketed as this neo-noir slapstick comedy film, which it is, but at times doesn't play out like one. There's definitely humor present, which I wouldn't say is hit or miss, but it's definitely not the main focal point of the film. That doesn't mean it's hilarious because I did find it to be, especially with scenes where it wasn't meant to be hilarious. It's a mystery film, a classic neo-noir mystery that sort of replaces what would normally be tense, thrilling scenes with humor. It's this 70's, zany mystery film.

This is probably one of the best ensemble cast's in recent memory and the best for Anderson since Magnolia. All great performances all around, whether it's from Martin Short, Owen Wilson, or Benicio Del Toro, who really don't have a lot of screen time, they just have a huge presence. Especially with Josh Brolin, who is terrific as Lt. Det. Christian "Bigfoot" Bjornson. Joaquin Phoenix still amazes me as he really is Doc Sportello. I can't think of a single actor that would do the marvels that Phoenix has done with the character. My favorite performance of the film is by far Katherine Waterston's Shasta Fay Hepworth, she's nothing short of brilliant.

I wouldn't say this is my favorite looking film, visually and technically speaking from Anderson. I do enjoy a great nostalgic, and classic look of my home state, California, but Inherent Vice certainly feels much more relaxed in comparison to his previous film. There's definitely great beauty behind Anderson's direction and Robert Elswit's 35mm cinematography. This film prefers to use the characters and the mood set the atmosphere and move the film. It's all about these characters in 1970 California. I actually like the approach taken here by Anderson, and I think it works really perfect for this film, then it would for some of his others. The score by Johny Greenwood is also a piece of work. Much like his previous two scores, Greenwood is perfect for Anderson, as Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross are for David Fincher. The score really echoes the time and the overall mood of each scene perfectly. Great stuff.

Before I began writing this I was set on giving this four stars, but it takes writing about it to really bring out the great positives and love I have for it. Inherent Vice is another terrific film from Paul Thomas Anderson, and one that I know will only get better with each viewing. I think this will be one of his more revered works and will be the subject to several studies and critiques in the future.

Thank you Paul Thomas Anderson for another outstanding film.

"Chotto, Kenichiro, Dozo! Motto panukeiku... motto panukeiku! MOTTO PANUKEIKU!"

Kill The Messenger - 2014 - 4/5 - Directed by Michael Cuesta - starring Jeremy Renner and Mary Elizabeth Winstead

"My friend, some stories are just too true to tell."

Kill The Messenger was a film I had been waiting to go into wide release for some time, but I guess it just never happened. Shame, because the source material and real life story is quite fascinating. As it would turn out, Kill The Messenger is an excellent film and probably the best biopic film of the year with great writing and directing and a powerhouse performance from Jeremy Renner, one I would call his finest of his career.

1996, Gary Webb (Jeremy Renner) is a reporter working for the San Jose Mercury who covers primarily alleged drug dealers. One day he gets a phone call from Coral (Paz Vega) who says her boyfriend, Danillo Blandon (Yul Vazquez) was working with the government importing cocaine and arming Contra rebels in Nicaragua. Webb traverses gaining insight on the governments involvement and discovers it was in fact the CIA illegally funding a war and receiving cocaine. After Webb publishes his article, he becomes the target of media backlash and is shunned by his peers for his work of revealing the truth, all while the CIA denies everything. Webb would eventually quit his job and over the years became ridden with depression and eventually committed suicide, but he never bad or wrong about admitting the truth of the CIA.

Kill The Messenger has a large ensemble cast to support leading man, Renner, though it's his show really. Jeremy Renner is a solid actor, and his performance as Gary Webb is by far his best since probably The Town. Hell, even The Hurt Locker. He's a charismatic reporter who just wants to do his job and tell the truth and as the film goes on he becomes the target of the CIA and the media which eventually drives to madness as well as being shunned away by his peers. Renner's performance is probably my favorite of the year, and I would say it's right up there with Steve Carell and Jake Gyllenhaal from Foxcatcher and Nightcrawler respectively.

This isn't a conspiracy theory type of political thriller, as Webb exposed a national secret. All the facts are presented and laid out in front us, though the film still maintains a level of secrecy throughout as the CIA quickly attempts to cover-up this secret. At an hour and forty minutes, it moves a great pace, and never slows down. It draws us in for a ride and doesn't let go until the ending credits. It builds everything up nicely and has along for the researching ride alongside Gary Webb. Kill The Messenger is a very well made political drama/thriller that is a must see. It's a shame it didn't get a wide release considering how great of a film it is. A must see.

"I thought my job was to tell public the truth, the facts; pretty or not, and let the publishing of those facts make a difference in how people look at things, at themselves, and what they stand for."

Selma - 2014 - 3.5/5 - Directed by Ava DuVernay - starring David Oyelowo and Tom Wilkinson

"We're here for a reason, through many many storms."

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't impressed with Selma. It actually turned out to be a rather well made film, one that fits in perfectly with our society and political issues in the U.S. now more than ever. Despite some historical inaccuracies, Selma is a great historical film with a powerhouse performance by leading man David Oyelowo as Martin Luther King, Jr. Selma follows the work from King as he and other African American citizens in the United States march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama, as part of a movement to achieve voting status to African Americans in a part of the south where racism and hatred was at it's worst.

While Martin Luther King, jr. is the lead character of the film, don't mistake Selma for a second that it's in anyway a biopic film on his life and work. Selma only covers a portion, albeit small, of his life, but it's arguably one of his greatest. It's more of a historical film, and one of the better made and told ones too. One that perfectly orchestrates a period of time where racial tension was at an absolute high in the south, much like it is now in modern times. Director Ava DuVernay doesn't sugarcoat anything, and shows the tension for what it is, as well as the blowback on both sides -- for King and the President.

Surely at times, Selma can easily be too sentimental, but it's still presented in a great way. David Oyelowo's performance as King is nothing short of excellence. Perfect capturing the man's presence which immediately catapults you the first time you see him. Oyelowo makes you believe he truly is Martin Luther King, jr. However the rest of the cast is really underdeveloped and really are pushed to the side. This is King's film, but there's several times where we're introduced to new characters and it feels as if we're forced to understand them and feel for them, but in the end it falls short due to being underdeveloped.

Another factor I didn't like was the portrayal of President Lyndon B. Johnson. I thought Tom Wilkinson did a hell of a job as LBJ, however the filmmakers decision to have be a sort of barrier that was standing in the way of King from achieving his success in Selma and whatnot just didn't bode too well with me. While in reality there were times with King and Johnson didn't agree with one another, there still was a mutual line of respect for one another and their respective work with the country and shaping it up for what it is now. I felt it was done this way as means to strengthen the overall tone of the film. Not to mention that for a historical film, there's several times throughout where the film slows down considerably.

On the positive side, Selma is perfectly shot by Bradford Young. There's not a moment throughout the film where it looks of a lesser quality. Taking the "Bloody Sunday" march for example, the scene is shot explicably well as well as edited well, presenting an atrocious moment in history in a chaotic way, much like it really happened.

While I don't think I'll see Selma it is definitely worth a watch, and one of the better Awards consideration films from 2014.

"I'm no different than anybody else. I want to live long and be happy, but I'm not focusing on what I want today."

A Most Violent Year - 2014 - 5/5 - Directed by J.C. Chandor - starring Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain

"You will never do anything as hard as staring someone straight in the eye and telling the truth"

The minute Marvin Gaye's "Inner City Blues" began playing over the cold, winter of 1981 New York City, I knew I was in for a treat. A Most Violent Year was more than a treat, it was a crime film that reminded me of the ones from the late 70's and early 80's. It was a different type of crime film to come out all year. With outstanding writing and directing from J.C. Chandor, striking cinematography by Bradford Young, and amazing performances from leads Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain, I'm happy to report that A Most Violent Year was just absolutely terrific. One of the best films made about the American Dream.

Set in New York City, 1981, a year that was statistically one of the most violent in the city's history. It follows on immigrant Abel Morales (Oscar Isaac) who has spent the last twenty years or so, building and expanding his business as well as capitalizing on opportunities. Abel owns a heating oil business and for the last several months his trucks have been getting ripped off, costing him a fortune. With the DA, Lawrence (David Oyelowo) looking to persecute him, It's up to Abel and his wife, Anna (Jessica Chastain) to survive this nightmare in 1981 New York City.

What makes A Most Violent Year such a great, compelling piece of crime film is how different it works. You won't see mobsters or gangsters or crazy shootouts here. It's a riveting tale on the American Dream, and one that is substantially different that say Scarface and Spring Breakers. Abel Morales isn't a gangster, he's a man who came to the United States to make a living and a name for himself and his family. He's done just that and thriving off success as much as he can. Sure he's done some stuff that you can call questionable, but in the end of the day, he's just a man living the life and the dream. It's an amazing crime film, that's written so expertly and directed with sheer confidence.

It's a crime film that is similar in vain of those from the late 70's and early 80's where characters and atmosphere mattered more than grit and violence in today's crime films. It has a very old school look and feel to it. There's certainly a few thrilling sequences in the film, including a chase towards the end of the film which was done well. It maintains a mood throughout the film that stays consistent and a very tense atmosphere that just draws you in closer and closer the more the film goes on. Not to mention the beautiful cinematography by Bradford Young. Having seen now three of his films, he's quickly becoming more and more impressive behind the camera. He presents both the beauty and the bleak sides of New York City in the film.

Oscar Isaac's performance as Abel Morales is a work of brilliance. I thought he was outstanding in The Coen Brothers' 2013 film Inside Llewyn Davis and here in A Most Violent Year he's better. Al Pacino is my favorite actor of all time, and Isaac literally channels his inner Al Pacino based off his intensity and emotions alone. His performance is only rivaled and at few times in the film, surpassed by Jessica Chastain. All those nominations and wins she's garnered for this film are completely justified, she gives a hell of performance here, further proving to be one the finest working actresses of our time. Isaac and Chastain have such great chemistry, that it only boosts the film up higher.

It's crazy how one film can change everything about how I feel. I recently called Whiplash my top film of 2014 and stated that it would most likely stay there. Then I watched A Most Violent Year, and everything changed. This film was just masterful from the opening frame to the closing frame. A great job by J.C. Chandor in creating one of the finest crime-drama films in recent time. I have nothing but praise for A Most Violent Year.

"When it feels scary to jump that is exactly when you jump. Otherwise you end up staying in the same place your whole life, and that I can't do."

Unbroken - 2014 - 0/5 - Directed by Angelina Jolie - starring Jack O'Connell and Domnhall Gleeson

"Don't loot at me."

If there's one thing I've learned in regards of 2014 in film, it's that I've seen enough biopics to last a year. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but seriously. Of all the biopics I've seen this year, I've only enjoyed The Imitation Game, despite some flaws and issues I had with it, I still found it to be good. All the other ones are just mediocre Oscar Bait films. In comes Angelina Jolie's Unbroken which takes the cake of worst biopic as well as worst WWII film I've seen. I don't know how she landed the job, but she literally cannot direct, and it's only her second directorial outing.

Unbroken follows Louis Zamperini, a track athlete from Torrance, California who would go on to the 1936 Berlin, Germany Olympic games and establish himself as an Olympic athlete. Afterwards, he would enlist in the Army where he was a bombardier. One day, his plane's engines fail and crashes into the ocean, killing everyone but Zamperini and two other men. Zamperini would survive forty-seven days stranded at sea before being captured by Japanese forces and forced to remain a prisoner of war, for the remainder or WWII.

The story of Zamperini's survival, the real story is a gripping one. It would only be a matter of time before a studio bought the rights to his life and WWII story and developed it into a film. That's exactly what Universal and Legendary have done. Unbroken is just a mess of a film. It tries to be a WWII drama, but it's poorly done, especially for being based on a true story. It tries to be a biopic, but only focuses on one part of his life, arguably his most talked about. It even tries to be a character study of some sort, but it only focuses on the themes of heroism and bravery that have been done to death. Overall Zamperini isn't a completely developed character in the film.

Jolie has no sense of style or direction present in Unbroken. It looks like it could have been made by anyone, and that's how it's presented. It's lazily made in hopes of major awards recognition and a few tears from audience members. It's longer than it should, and barely makes do with getting it's point and themes present, if there ever were any to begin with. Aside from the lazy, amateurish direction, that problem also lies within the script. Hard to believe that it was co-written by Joel and Ethan Coen, and hard to believe it was just terrible. Apparently it was rewritten once Jolie came on board, so who knows if it was her request or the studios. Either way, it's horrible and bland and plays on feats we've seen before.

The acting is stale across the boards. Yes, even Jack O'Connell who plays Zamperini isn't too good. He has glimmers where he's very good in the role of Zamperini, but most of the time he's just dull and not capable of delivering a great performance to carry a film of this stature. When we're supposed to fear and hate the primary antagonist in the second act of the film, Mutsuhiro "The Bird" Watanabe (played by Miyavi) the character is presented instead as laughable. I figured Roger Deakins photographing the film would be a saving grace to Unbroken. I was completely wrong, this has to be Deakins' worst work I've seen period. We're talking about the man who has had a storied career really and is such a revered cinematography. He's a master of his art, amongst other great cinematographers of our time, but there's no distinct visual style at all. It's shot like an amateur would shoot (possibly influenced by Jolie), and has an ugly color palate present. Not to mention it looks as if it was shot entirely in front of a giant green screen, as everything looks CGI'd in. Alexandre Deslplat is the go to composer for bland, dramatic cues, and that's what's present here.

Unbroken is lazy, terrible Oscar Bait, but above all, it's just a lazy, terrible film period. It may sound as if I'm being harsh, but Unbroken is one of the worst films I've seen from 2014. Dreadful cinema at it's finest. There's was not one single redeeming factor present in this film.

"I got good news and I got bad news."

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies - 2014 - 4/5 - Directed by Peter Jackson - starring Martin Freeman and Ian McKellan

"Will you have peace, or war? "

Just a year ago, I ended up reading Tolkien's book "The Hobbit" and writing a paper on it just for kicks. I ended up getting a passing grade and it was well received. Did the book change how I feel about the films as a whole? Absolutely not. People have complained that Jackson has changed too much, or rather added in stuff not in the book and taken from the appendices. That's what I like. If he made it just like the book to a T, it would've been nearly different in tone in comparison to the The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. You can say that two Hobbit would've sufficed, but I'm happy with three. While The Desolation Of Smaug is still my favorite entry in the trilogy, The Battle Of The Five Armies is still highly entertaining.

Picking up literally right after the previous film, we're thrust right into the action as the dragon, Smaug (Benedict Cumberbatch) causing mayhem over Laketown. From then on, it's pretty much all action, though it's not until the second act, where the huge battle sequence kicks in and pretty much takes over the course of the film. Up until the battle scene begins, there's a lot highs and lows, specifically in the pacing. It picks up and drops too much, and the love triangle just felt out of place. However, everything is made up for with the battle, as in the book it's really just a page or two, no joke. It's long, yes, but it's highly entertaining. It may not be as epic as The Return Of The King, but it's still impressive.

It's just a visually pleasing, though it's drowned in CGI of course, as the previous films, and the acting is still just as great. If I've learned anything over this trilogy, it's that Martin Freeman is terrific as Bilbo. I also enjoyed the added depth and structure for Thorin and his sendoff was great and hit all the right notes with me perfectly, despite knowing all that happens. As it stands, I'm impressed with this trilogy, and I find them all equally enjoyable. Of course it always receive backlash from others in regards to Jackson's approach of the book, but I am impressed with his work.

Thanks for the fun, Middle Earth. It was nice visiting. Now just as long as Jackson releases the extended cut of both trilogies on Blu-Ray, I'll be a happy camper.

"Farewell, Master Burglar. Go back to your books, your fireplace. Plant your trees, watch them grow. If more of us valued home above gold, it would be a merrier world. "

Well that's pretty much it for 2014, finally seen all my anticipated films and then some. Much much more than 2013. Below are my final standings for 2014. Top Ten, Top Ten Honorable Mentions, and Top Ten Worst.

Top Ten: 2014
1.) A Most Violent Year
2.) Whiplash
3.) Nightcrawler
4.) Foxcatcher
5.) The Grand Budapest Hotel
6.) Under The Skin
7.) Gone Girl
8.) The Drop
9.) Inherent Vice
10.) Two Days, One Night

Top Ten-2014: Honorable Mentions
1.) John Wick
2.) Maps To The Stars
3.) Interstellar
4.) American Sniper
5.) Enemy
7.) A Most Wanted Man
8.) The Guest
9.) The Rover
10.) Kill The Messenger

Top Ten Worst Of 2014
1.) Left Behind
2.) Neighbors
3.) The Amazing Spider-Man 2
4.) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
5.) I, Frankenstein
6.) 300: Rise Of An Empire
7.) Annabelle
8.) Ouija
9.) Unbroken
10.) Into The Storm

#1032 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:57 AM

Boyhood was by far my favorite film of the year.

Edited by 00Hockey Mask, 16 January 2015 - 03:57 AM.

#1033 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:02 AM

I really enjoyed it upon my initial viewing in theaters, but on rewatch, it was extremely weak. I appreciate what Linklater has done, but It's simply an okay film.

#1034 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:24 PM

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)-*

Why I bothered to watch this I don't know. I guess I just needed to shut my brain off for a few hours, which it definitely helped me do. After the somewhat passable first entry, each film in this series has gotten progressively worse. And yet, somehow it is one of the highest grossing film series' of all-time. Go figure.

#1035 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

Has anyone seen the MOVIE NEWS thread? Are we doing a thread per year now?

#1036 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

Has anyone seen the MOVIE NEWS thread? Are we doing a thread per year now?

I don't know what happened to it, along with some of the other threads. Moderators must've deleted them or something. I feel it's best to have a thread that is solely dedicated to discussing the latest rumors and breaking news in film whereas these threads are to discuss/debate over films we've seen.

#1037 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:12 AM

New entries in red

SEEN:
Mitt - 3
In the Blood - 2.5
RoboCop - 2
Non-Stop - 3
3 Days to Kill - 2
The Sacrament - 3.5
Godzilla - 0.5
Draft Day - 3
Stretch - 1

Mockingbird - 1
Oculus - 1.5
Stage Fright - 2
Mercy - 2
A Long Way Down - 3
Edge of Tomorrow - 5
Sabotage - 1.5
Sex Tape - 1
Come Back to Me - 2.5
The Expendables 3 - 2
The Signal - 5
Under the Skin - 2
I, Frankenstein - 0.5
Ride Along - 0.5
Bad Words - 4
The November Man - 4
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 5
Neighbors - 0.5
Stephen King's A Good Marriage - 3.5
The Interview - 2.5
The Equalizer - 4
Tusk - 3.5
The Babadook - 5
Life After Beth - 3
The Lego Movie - 4.5

The Bag Man - 3.5

The Town that Dreaded Sundown - 4

LOOKING FORWARD TO:
Gone Girl
Camp X-Ray

Edited by tdalton, 30 January 2015 - 04:37 AM.

#1038 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:08 AM

New entries in red

SEEN:
Mitt - 3
In the Blood - 2.5
RoboCop - 2
Non-Stop - 3
3 Days to Kill - 2
The Sacrament - 3.5
Godzilla - 0.5
Draft Day - 3
Stretch - 1
Mockingbird - 1
Oculus - 1.5
Stage Fright - 2
Mercy - 2
A Long Way Down - 3
Edge of Tomorrow - 5
Sabotage - 1.5
Sex Tape - 1
Come Back to Me - 2.5
The Expendables 3 - 2
The Signal - 5
Under the Skin - 2
I, Frankenstein - 0.5
Ride Along - 0.5
Bad Words - 4
The November Man - 4
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 5
Neighbors - 0.5
Stephen King's A Good Marriage - 3.5
The Interview - 2.5
The Equalizer - 4
Tusk - 3.5
The Babadook - 5
Life After Beth - 3
The Lego Movie - 4.5

The Bag Man - 3.5

The Town that Dreaded Sundown - 4

Horns - 2.5

Locke - 3

A Most Waned Man - 2

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 4.5

The Captive - 4

Chef - 5

Honeymoon - 4

Nightcrawler - 4

LOOKING FORWARD TO:
Gone Girl

Edited by tdalton, 18 February 2015 - 06:58 AM.

#1039 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:48 PM

I think I've seen all of the 2014 films that I'm going to see by the time this Sunday's Oscars come around, so this will be the last update for the 2014 thread.

Best of 2014 (in alphabetical order)

• The Babadook
  • Chef
  • Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  • Edge of Tomorrow
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • Honeymoon
  • The Lego Movie
  • Nightcrawler
  • The Signal

Worst of 2014

• 300: Rise of an Empire