28 replies to this topic

#1 bond_azoozbond

bond_azoozbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

I like the new direction of Craigs bond movies .. I like SKYFALL also as being different .. and I always thought bond movies could go in different direction but still stay good .. But I think Im dying to see a bond traditional mission in the next one .. Some thing like the 60's Connery bond period .. In other words bond have to save the world .. In Bond 24 its the time to get back to those kind of bond movies .. but add to that the emotional stuff from craig previous bond movies ..

#2 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

I think a 60s "pay up or else" blackmail plot, as in TB, is long overdue. Bond working against the clock to prevent a catastrophe and/or the civilised world having to pay tribute to a super villain or criminal synidicate. And I think Daniel Craig's Bond in particular would work well in such a story.

As for Skyfall, it is a really great Bond film, in my view, but it isn't a template for the series. It can't be because it's story is so particular and personal to Bond, M and the villain. It is an outstanding, stand alone one off, and has raised the bar in many ways for future Bond films, but I think come Bond 24 we will see 007 back to tackling more conventional threats than an embittered man with a talent for computer hacking and a touch of the Oedipus about him.

(And, if the very last scene of SF is any guide, we'll see 007 getting his orders and going into battle in a way familiar to those of us brought up on the 60s films.)

#3 bond_azoozbond

bond_azoozbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

I think a 60s "pay up or else" blackmail plot, as in TB, is long overdue. Bond working against the clock to prevent a catastrophe and/or the civilised world having to pay tribute to a super villain or criminal synidicate. And I think Daniel Craig's Bond in particular would work well in such a story.

As for Skyfall, it is a really great Bond film, in my view, but it isn't a template for the series. It can't be because it's story is so particular and personal to Bond, M and the villain. It is an outstanding, stand alone one off, and has raised the bar in many ways for future Bond films, but I think come Bond 24 we will see 007 back to tackling more conventional threats than an embittered man with a talent for computer hacking and a touch of the Oedipus about him.

(And, if the very last scene of SF is any guide, we'll see 007 getting his orders and going into battle in a way familiar to those of us brought up on the 60s films.)

You think the same way as I do .. I was going to include TB as an example and you provied that .. I agree with your SF comments and I think its shaped this way becuase of the 50 anniversary .. I hope the end of SF mean something to the future of bond ..

#4 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

You think the same way as I do .. I was going to include TB as an example and you provied that .. I agree with your SF comments and I think its shaped this way becuase of the 50 anniversary .. I hope the end of SF mean something to the future of bond ..

Indeed. A couple of other points. Since FYEO, the film makers have been "going back to basics", so called, which often meant attempts at recapturing the feel of FRWL. But FRWL is an atypical Bond plot as well - Bond the target of the villains (Moreso in the book than the film - SPECTRE's "personal revenge" on 007 in the movie is more of a by-product, whereas in the novel the Russians have their sights set on Bond.). Most of the time Bond tackles a villain with a plan to cause trouble for the world in general rather than Bond in particular. I think that the film makers should be looking at GF or TB as inspiration for "24", whilst keeping the story contemporary.

The other point concerns YOLT/TSWLM/MR - the villain destroying the world line. There are enough real life threats out there "in the shadows" with the potential to end it all for us. Economic chaos, climate change, terrorism, sabre rattling politicians, plutocrats destabilising countries or whole continents by taking money away at the click of a computer mouse. Craig's Bond doesn't have to face a deranged trillionaire holed up in an underwater hollowed out volcano. :-)

#5 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Oh yeah, man - I'm just gagging for an adventure like that. Best thing in Skyfall was the look and feel of the 'leather door' final scene. He's a good new M. I have no problems with the new Q or Moneypenny - they'll do. But we/I need something much more exotic and glamorous than what we've/I've been getting.

I think Skyfall had it's heart in the right place but, for me, it didn't do the job. And if I'm perfectly honest, DC didn't display the charisma I look out for.

I accept I'm pushing against the tide of overwhelming acclaim - good luck to it - I just don't see it.

#6 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

I enjoyed SF, but I'm desperate now for a 'straight up' Bond film. 15 years since the last one and that's too long. We've had some great stuff from Craig so far but he should finish off with two normal Bond films and then maybe think about retiring.

#7 fulgentius

fulgentius

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

I agree wholeheartedly but I doubt this will happen.

All Bond movies since TND have tried to shake the formula in some way.

TWINE : tried to be the OHMSS of the 90's
DAD : special anniversary episode
CR : reboot episode
QOS : 2nd part of the reboot
SF : self explanatory

Now that all the traditionnal Bond elements are in place I'd like to see a more generic episode that doesn't delve too deep into Bond's psyche and features the traditionnal Bond structure.

It would be a nice change of pace.

Plus, what I call the "special episodes" are only special because they don't follow the traditionnal Bond model. If they're all special, then they become not-so-special.

But I don't think we'll ever see the return to the traditionnal Bond model we know and love.

Audiences have changed and I'm not sure if they miss the generic, same-in-every-single-film, formula of yesteryear.

There are Bond marathons on TV for this :)

#8 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

I think there's room for an even more traditional Bond film next time (although I'd argue we got that with Skyfall). What I don't think we'll return to is Bond being a cipher, Craig's enjoying the role because they're delving into who Bond is, and making him more of a human being than Dalton or Brosnan could ever hoped to have achieved.

#9 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

I think after SF its a give in that the next film will be a straight forward Bond flick without any 'personal angles' or subplots outside the mission, that's just me. Although after SF I wouldn't mind if they
Spoiler

#10 TheTennesseeFireman

TheTennesseeFireman

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

I'm not sure about a "traditional" ransom the world plot, but I'd like to see the stakes raised a little bit the next time around. Le Chiffre's plot was to make $100 million for terrorism banking, Greene was price gouging and funding a coup in a third world country, and in Skyfall
Spoiler

It doesn't have to be outlandishly big (starting WW3 or exterminating the human race), but something a little less intimate would be a good change of pace. Something on the Goldeneye level of chaos would feel appropriate.

#11 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

It would be nice to see a more traditional, straight-forward, mission-based Bond film rather than yet another go round with the personal angle, but I'm sure that's not in the cards the next time around. Giving Bond reasons to display angst on screen as well as the recent obsession with the personal angle to the films isn't going to let up anytime soon, I'm sure, especially now that EON seems to want to be in the business of winning awards for their films.

#12 tonyvenhuizen

tonyvenhuizen

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Sorry if this is a breach of etiquette, but I just posted this on another string and it seems perhaps more applicable here: http://debrief.comma...40#entry1234853

As great as the 1960s Connery films were, one of their great downfalls was a lack of consistency from movie to movie. There was no planning ahead. Felix Leiter was supposed to be a series regular, but he never became a beloved sidekick because he was played by a different actor every time. Meanwhile, bit-players like M, Q, and Miss Moneypenny all became beloved - because they held on to the same actors!

Likewise, EON badly mishandled Blofeld, who should have been unquestionably the greatest Bond villain in the series. They did a good job of building up the mystery surrounding him in FRWL and Thunderball. But then, in three successive films, he is played by three different actors. What's worse, they completely botched the sequence of the films and the death of Tracy. In the novels, Blofeld emerges as a threat in Thunderball, is confronted by Bond and kills Bond's wife in OHMSS, and is hunted down and killed in YOLT. As we know, in the films, we see Blofeld's face for the first time in YOLT, but bizarrely Bond and Blofeld do not know each other in OHMSS. Then, in Diamonds are Forever, Bond makes absolutely no mention of his late wife as he pursues Blofeld. Finally, Blofeld escapes at the end of DAF, and it is not until FYEO ten years later that Blofled is killed - albeit without being identified.

Why do I recount all of that history? Because in the Daniel Craig-era reboot, EON is clearly trying to correct these errors and do it right this time. Michael G. Wilson is probably the biggest "fanboy" of all and he knows what needs to happen.

In CR, we see Bond get his "two kills," earn his 00 number, and fall in love with and then lose Vesper. QOS, although a flawed film, fleshes out the Quantum organization and makes it clear that it is a SPECTRE analogue. It is obvious that LeChiffre, Dominic Green, and Mr. White are functionaries, and there is a hidden mastermind at the top.

SkyFall completes the reboot, as we see the traditional Bond elements restored - M, Q, and Moneypenny are all back in what appears to be the Regents Park office rather than the modern MI6 building.

They have also been consistent in casting - Mr. White and Felix Leiter are portrayed by the same actors in CR and QOS, and I think we can safely assume that the actors portraying M, Q, Moneypenny, and maybe even Tanner are locked in.

As has been noted elsewhere, SkyFall is the third film and presents a "break" from the Quantum storyline - exactly as Goldfinger did after Dr. No and FRWL.

I believe (or maybe I should say I HOPE) that EON is setting up for a two-film conclusion to the Quantum story arc. Bond 24 begins with the traditional sequence of familiar scenes - flirt with Moneypenny, briefing from M, gadgets from Q - before Bond discovers a major threat to the world - perhaps bioterror - from the Quantum organization. Bond 24 would be the film in which Bond confronts the shadowy leader of Quantum - Ernst Stavro Blofeld. That would probably come late in the film, and although Bond would "save the world" and defeat Quantum, Blofeld himself would get away. This could be loosely based on elements of OHMSS - at least insofar as Blofeld's involvement and his plan.

I would humbly recommend that Bond 24 be titled "The Property of a Lady" - that is easily the best Fleming title left, and it not be difficult to make it an element of the story.

That sets up Bond 25, in which Bond hunts down Blofeld, who is disguised as "Dr. Guntram Shatterhand" and maintaining a "Garden of Death." Given that very little of the YOLT novel was actually used in the film, Bond 25 could basically use that storyline, perhaps moving it from Japan to India or another locale. The film, and perhaps the Craig era, could end with Bond killing Blofeld but losing his memory in the process. That could close the Craig era and set up for Bond's return to be the debut of a new actor.

Obviously, Bond 25 would then take the excellent title "Shatterhand."

The Craig era (QOS aside) has demonstrated that EON still knows what it is doing. I am confident that, unlike in the 1960s, they have a master plan for the Craig era. Even if Bond 24 and 25 is not a two-part story, it could easily have elements that carry over. The plan I have laid out may not be EON's plan (in fact, it probably isn't), but I am confident that they have A PLAN - and that is very promising for the Bond franchise.

#13 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Sorry if this is a breach of etiquette, but I just posted this on another string and it seems perhaps more applicable here: http://debrief.comma...40#entry1234853

As great as the 1960s Connery films were, one of their great downfalls was a lack of consistency from movie to movie. There was no planning ahead. Felix Leiter was supposed to be a series regular, but he never became a beloved sidekick because he was played by a different actor every time. Meanwhile, bit-players like M, Q, and Miss Moneypenny all became beloved - because they held on to the same actors!

Likewise, EON badly mishandled Blofeld, who should have been unquestionably the greatest Bond villain in the series. They did a good job of building up the mystery surrounding him in FRWL and Thunderball. But then, in three successive films, he is played by three different actors. What's worse, they completely botched the sequence of the films and the death of Tracy. In the novels, Blofeld emerges as a threat in Thunderball, is confronted by Bond and kills Bond's wife in OHMSS, and is hunted down and killed in YOLT. As we know, in the films, we see Blofeld's face for the first time in YOLT, but bizarrely Bond and Blofeld do not know each other in OHMSS. Then, in Diamonds are Forever, Bond makes absolutely no mention of his late wife as he pursues Blofeld. Finally, Blofeld escapes at the end of DAF, and it is not until FYEO ten years later that Blofled is killed - albeit without being identified.

Why do I recount all of that history? Because in the Daniel Craig-era reboot, EON is clearly trying to correct these errors and do it right this time. Michael G. Wilson is probably the biggest "fanboy" of all and he knows what needs to happen.

In CR, we see Bond get his "two kills," earn his 00 number, and fall in love with and then lose Vesper. QOS, although a flawed film, fleshes out the Quantum organization and makes it clear that it is a SPECTRE analogue. It is obvious that LeChiffre, Dominic Green, and Mr. White are functionaries, and there is a hidden mastermind at the top.

SkyFall completes the reboot, as we see the traditional Bond elements restored - M, Q, and Moneypenny are all back in what appears to be the Regents Park office rather than the modern MI6 building.

They have also been consistent in casting - Mr. White and Felix Leiter are portrayed by the same actors in CR and QOS, and I think we can safely assume that the actors portraying M, Q, Moneypenny, and maybe even Tanner are locked in.

As has been noted elsewhere, SkyFall is the third film and presents a "break" from the Quantum storyline - exactly as Goldfinger did after Dr. No and FRWL.

I believe (or maybe I should say I HOPE) that EON is setting up for a two-film conclusion to the Quantum story arc. Bond 24 begins with the traditional sequence of familiar scenes - flirt with Moneypenny, briefing from M, gadgets from Q - before Bond discovers a major threat to the world - perhaps bioterror - from the Quantum organization. Bond 24 would be the film in which Bond confronts the shadowy leader of Quantum - Ernst Stavro Blofeld. That would probably come late in the film, and although Bond would "save the world" and defeat Quantum, Blofeld himself would get away. This could be loosely based on elements of OHMSS - at least insofar as Blofeld's involvement and his plan.

I would humbly recommend that Bond 24 be titled "The Property of a Lady" - that is easily the best Fleming title left, and it not be difficult to make it an element of the story.

That sets up Bond 25, in which Bond hunts down Blofeld, who is disguised as "Dr. Guntram Shatterhand" and maintaining a "Garden of Death." Given that very little of the YOLT novel was actually used in the film, Bond 25 could basically use that storyline, perhaps moving it from Japan to India or another locale. The film, and perhaps the Craig era, could end with Bond killing Blofeld but losing his memory in the process. That could close the Craig era and set up for Bond's return to be the debut of a new actor.

The Craig era (QOS aside) has demonstrated that EON still knows what it is doing. I am confident that, unlike in the 1960s, they have a master plan for the Craig era. Even if Bond 24 and 25 is not a two-part story, it could easily have elements that carry over. The plan I have laid out may not be EON's plan (in fact, it probably isn't), but I am confident that they have A PLAN - and that is very promising for the Bond franchise.

I've suggested something quite similar on page 3 of the "Blofeld" thread - link attached - http://debrief.comma...ld/page__st__60

complete with an incident at the end of "24" which makes "25" not only a mission to find Blofeld but a matter of seeking personal justice for Bond, and, if you are familiar with Chapter 20 of the novel "You Only Live Twice" - "Blood And Thunder" - an update of Blofeld's rant at Bond "justifying" his past crimes. Pity I got Silva's real name wrong in it, but I'd only just seen SF.

#14 tonyvenhuizen

tonyvenhuizen

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

I've suggested something quite similar on page 3 of the "Blofeld" thread - link attached - http://debrief.comma...ld/page__st__60

complete with an incident at the end of "24" which makes "25" not only a mission to find Blofeld but a matter of seeking personal justice for Bond, and, if you are familiar with Chapter 20 of the novel "You Only Live Twice" - "Blood And Thunder" - an update of Blofeld's rant at Bond "justifying" his past crimes. Pity I got Silva's real name wrong in it, but I'd only just seen SF.

It sounds like you and I are going in the same direction - I hope EON is likewise!

You are right about Blofeld's rant in "Blood and Thunder" - it could make for a classic moment.

#15 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

Having used the first 3 films to set up the whole Bond character I think the time would be right to bring in Blofeld.

#16 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

It sounds like you and I are going in the same direction - I hope EON is likewise!

You are right about Blofeld's rant in "Blood and Thunder" - it could make for a classic moment.

I say leave Shatterhand, Garden of Death, Gala Brand to Bond #7. I am sure that they will need Flemings work in the future. And these topics are a must. Let Craig complete his movies with more traditional aspects, more women, more gadgets, more relation with M and especailly with Moneypenny and Q. Also they can introduce May Maxwell, and other 00's.

#17 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

My Bond 24 idea:
Villain: Daniel Day-Lewis
Primary Bond Girl: Rebecca Hall
Secondary Bond Girl: Hayley Atwell
Title Song Artist: Florence and the Machine
Director: I'd like Mendes, but I doubt he'll come back, so I'll say Joe Wright or Christopher Nolan.

The Undertaker's Wind
Plot: An MI6 numbers station nicknamed "The Undertaker's Wind" (named after an eerie jingle which the station's architect had created to signal the beginning and end of a transimission) located near a maximum security prison in Iceland formerly used to transmit messages to spies in the field has become active and transmitting strange cryptic messages sporadically. It is regarded as a technical problem with aging equipment and is disregarded. The British government sends a crew out to examine the equipment, however they do not return. The transmissions continue to happen more frequently and begin to coincide with assassinations of British politicians and attacks on embassies across the world. The use of numbers stations had become more or less obsolete and MI6 does not have technicians with enough knowledge to decipher the transmissions as they often use one time pads. Bond is sent out to lure an ex-MI6 communications expert, Gala Brand (Rebecca Hall) back into the field from an early retirement in order to investigate. She is reluctant at first as she has already distanced herself from the world of espionage and had her only killed 2 years ago during an attempt on her life.Ever since she has been unable to enjoy her retirement and is still living in a world of fear. Bond offers her protection (which he is unsure where it will come from) in return for her help and reluctantly joins Bond on his journey.

The grounds on which the mysterious station is located is now part of this high security prison (think Guantanamo but sort of ominous and eerie, with inmates even more dangerous) which had been handed over to Spang Corporation, a gargantuan private security contractor headed by Jack Spang (Daniel Day-Lewis), in the mid 1980's. The transmissions send Bond on a trail to Tokyo, Greece, and Cyprus where they learn from a veteran ex-spy (Gary Oldman) that a Russian double agent credited for developing some of the Soviet Union's most advanced defense mechanisms who had been rumored to be dead long ago is actually still alive and is incarcerated at this prison. They discover that he is attempting to trigger a dead man's switch which MI6 and the CIA had deemed inoperative. The only issue is that now, Spang has now turned his private security empire into a small army which now defends this prison. Bond returns to England and the MI6 staff creates a clandestine scheme for a secret war, and all out assault on the prison. Spang has become some kind of a godlike presence in the prison and turned the inmates into an army of their own. The climax of all climaxes takes place as MI6's army battles an army made up of trained private soldiers and hundreds of the most unhinged criminals the world has ever seen. The battle ends with the station and majority of the prison being destroyed. I see it playing out like an old fashioned Bond finale battle like YOLT or OHMSS but with grit and intensity that has become a staple of the Craig era. I'd like to see it be a tense espionage thriller that works up to a massive climax. FRWL meets OHMSS is the best way I can describe it.

"The Undertaker's Wind" station is inspired by this:
http://en.wikipedia....umbers_station)
Locations
Iceland:
Spoiler

Tokyo:
Spoiler

Cyprus:
Spoiler

Greece:

Edited by TheSilhouette, 12 November 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#18 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

I think there WAS planning ahead but circumstances intervened; Jack Lord kind of screwed up the Leiter continuity by being a royal pain in the arse and the situation with Blofeld is a difficult one because not only was Donald Pleasance a last minute replacement on YOLT he was quite unsuited to the physical demands of the role in OHMSS and the producers then attempted to whitewash that film from history with DAF.

Terence Young's three films really work well together (Rik Van Nutter is even an acceptable bit of recasting) and Dr.No & FRWL have as good a continuity between them as Craig's first two outings do.

Edited by Peckinpah1976, 12 November 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#19 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

After SF I don't understand how Bond 24 could not be a traditional mission/film....

#20 bond_azoozbond

bond_azoozbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

Indeed. A couple of other points. Since FYEO, the film makers have been "going back to basics", so called, which often meant attempts at recapturing the feel of FRWL. But FRWL is an atypical Bond plot as well - Bond the target of the villains (Moreso in the book than the film - SPECTRE's "personal revenge" on 007 in the movie is more of a by-product, whereas in the novel the Russians have their sights set on Bond.). Most of the time Bond tackles a villain with a plan to cause trouble for the world in general rather than Bond in particular. I think that the film makers should be looking at GF or TB as inspiration for "24", whilst keeping the story contemporary.

The other point concerns YOLT/TSWLM/MR - the villain destroying the world line. There are enough real life threats out there "in the shadows" with the potential to end it all for us. Economic chaos, climate change, terrorism, sabre rattling politicians, plutocrats destabilising countries or whole continents by taking money away at the click of a computer mouse. Craig's Bond doesn't have to face a deranged trillionaire holed up in an underwater hollowed out volcano. :-)

I want something like FRWL .. everything was perfect .. and when I say everything I mean every bond element was included perfectly .. We could have a modern FRWL taste in the next bond if they include Quantum maybe ..

#21 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

And add Ken Adam to the mix.

#22 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

That would be wonderful. I don't recall Bond walking into M's office and getting his orders since GoldenEye. The ending of SF and the office design was just a fantastic throwback.

I think after SF its a give in that the next film will be a straight forward Bond flick without any 'personal angles' or subplots outside the mission, that's just me. Although after SF I wouldn't mind if they

Spoiler

I'd like to see both those points come to fruition, as much as I enjoyed CR and SF.

#23 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

BTW Sam Mendes and Daniel craig said, at a screening I was at with them, that filming in M's office was the most magical moment he and the cast had while shooting. They used the archived blueprints from DR. No as their guide and were careful to place even the furniture in exactly the right spots. Let's hope the next director feels the same way.

#24 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Also.............Craig mentioned at the screening that he still wouldn't mind a giant underwater submarine base for the villain next time.

#25 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

I don't really understand what you mean by traditional..

Edited by Iceskater101, 16 November 2012 - 10:47 PM.

#26 bond_azoozbond

bond_azoozbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

I don't really understand what you mean by traditional..

An example would be something like the first 6 Connery bond movies ..

#27 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

Simple mission: villain has clear cut goal and 007 stops him, larger than life settings (Ken Adam, a must), Barryeque (Mickey Mouse) music, Confident secret agent with no emotional baggage that he's sharing with anyone, (Touchy about old marriage is OK), very sexy women who end up in a bikini or diaphanous nightgown, Felix Lieter (if appropriate) Bond beds a minimum of 2 women, strange but deadly henchman, wild but plausible gadgets (no invisible cars though), Q, Moneypenny, M, One lamb to the slaughter early on , military like battle at the end with room for 007 to go one on one with the villain or henchman in a final fight and escape with the Bond lady. At least that's some of the traditions from the Moore and Connery era.

Edited by delfloria, 16 November 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#28 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Ah okay I understand where you are getting at. I would agree with that, they should do a traditional Bond film now

#29 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

I'd be fine with a return to a more normal Bond film. However, I can live without Bond bedding a girl at the end of the film. I like the endings of the Craig films more as they seem more realistic and there is actually some tension to think the girl won't make it
Spoiler