62 replies to this topic

#1 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:13 AM

Now that THE DARK KNIGHT RISES has come and gone, Warner Bros. have announced that they’re already planning a full-on reinvention of the Batman character for release in 2015 or 2016, according to various reports. I'm curious to hear what others would like to see in the next Batman series; What villains would you use? Who would you cast? What would the tone be?

I'd like the next Batman series to achieve a more comic book feel, much more so than the Nolan trilogy, which at times felt like a crime drama dressed as superhero films. I want a Gotham City where out of this world adversaries such as Clayface, Mr. Freeze and Killer Croc can all exist without compromising the dark and brooding tone of the character. The best way to achieve this, in my opinion, is by looking at BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES and the recent ARKHAM video games for inspiration. Future directors need to remember that sci-fi/fantasy characters do not equal corny/campy characters. Victor Fries, for instance, is arguably Batman's most tragic and compelling adversary, despite the fact that his condition and abilities push the limits of believability. Many members of Batman's rogues gallery would not have worked in Nolan's realm, but with a totally clean slate, the next Batman director has the chance to set a new tone and distinguish his or her vision from the Dark Knight trilogy.

The first film of the reboot needs to forgo the origin story entirely. By now, everyone and their grandmothers know how and why Bruce Wayne became Batman; there's absolutely no use wasting valuable screentime reliving the Wayne murders yet again. The next series could begin with Batman already several years into his crusade, and, as such, should feature Batman's allies and sidekicks (Nightwing, Robin, Oracle, etc.) as an established presence in Gotham. We don't necessarily need to see these characters' origins play out on screen to appreciate and care for them, although I would depict the fate Jason Todd's Robin via flashback.

Posted Image

With a total reinvention of the character, the time has come for a reimagining of the Batsuit, as well. The basic design of the cinematic Batsuit has more or less stayed the same since 1989—heavy, clumsy black rubber. If the next series is to be more comic-like, then I'd recommend the suit more closely resemble the same costume Batman has worn over the last seventy years. Some argue that the gray and blue/black tights would look silly on the big screen, but with the right materials, I see no reason why the comic book Batsuit can’t be effectively portrayed, as the two ARKHAM games have recently demonstrated.

Posted Image

Any attempts to imitate the Tumbler will be immediately regarded as such, which is why the next Batmobile should possess that same utilitarian toughness without completely ditching the many trademark design cues of the comic book car. My favorite movie Batmobiles are the Tumbler and the BATMAN/BATMAN RETURNS car, and the Batmobile from the ARKHAM games looks lighter and more durable, much like a more maneuverable version of the Burton vehicle.

Posted Image

As the makers of the Batman films will tell you, Gotham City is as much a character itself as anyone who inhabits it. Gotham City needs to feel less like a real life American city and more like a sprawling Gothic metropolis. Take the creepy, Gothic architecture of the Burton films, the huge scope of Nolan's Gotham and even a splash of neon from Schumacher's Gotham and you have, in my opinion, the ideal Gotham City.

Posted Image

And a more embellished Batcave:

Posted Image

A rough idea of the direction I'd like the new series to take:

BEWARE THE BATMAN

Villains: The Penguin, Roman Sionis (Black Mask), Mr. Freeze, and Talon
Premise: As Bruce Wayne prepares an ambitious project to rebuild and reshape Gotham, an age-old society of assassins known as the Court of Owls unleash terror on the city, taking aim at Wayne himself. Batman soon uncovers a conspiracy that involves his ancestors as the Owls target a vengeful Victor Fries AKA Mr. Freeze and a gang war between Oswald Cobblepot and Roman Sionis AKA the Black Mask spills into the streets of Gotham.

KNIGHTFALL
Villains: Dr. Hugo Strange, Killer Croc, Jean Paul Valley
Premise: Bruce Wayne is framed for murder by the deranged psychiatrist Hugo Strange while an enormous creature called Killer Croc stalks the sewers of Gotham. In Wayne's stead, his apprentice Jean Paul Valley is trusted with the mantle of the Bat but quickly outstays his welcome as he employs increasingly reckless and violent tactics. With the help of his friends and allies, Wayne is cleared of all charges and forced to reclaim his rightful title as the one true Batman.

SHADOWS OF THE BAT
Villains: The Riddler, Clayface, Hush, Poison Ivy
Premise: A specter from Batman’s past—Jason Todd, who years ago died at the Joker’s hands as Batman’s protégé Robin—has seemingly risen from the grave as the masked vigilante called Hush. Batman ultimately discovers that the resurrection of his fallen partner has been meticulously arranged by the terrorist known as the Riddler, who uncovered Batman’s true identity through files stolen from Dr. Hugo Strange and employed the shape-shifting monster Matt Hagen AKA ‘Clayface’ to impersonate Todd.

BATMAN TRIUMPHANT
Villains: The Joker, Harley Quinn
Premise: After years of fighting crime, Bruce Wayne has gone public and revealed that he is, in fact, the Batman’s financial backer. He leaves Gotham temporarily to expand his reach and recruit a team of global Batmen, which includes Nightrunner of Paris and Batwing of the Congo. With Wayne gone, Arkham psychiatrist Harleen Quinzel AKA Harley Quinn unleashes the psychopath known to all as the Joker, who picks up right where he left off years ago, plunging Gotham into chaos. Wayne returns to find the city he loves overrun by a gang of violent mutant anarchists and his newly-freed arch-nemesis.

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:05 AM

Some interesting ideas there. It's probably a gilven the next Batman film (don't know if it will really come 2015 already, sounds a bit soon) will take more of a Burton direction. A lot will depend on the next director and what vision he/she brings to it. Burton himself will hardly return, will he?

#3 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

I've been wanting an old-school Black and Grey Batsuit on film for a while. I believe out of respect to Heath Ledger who potrayed Joker wonderfully and Jack Nicholson who did the same, Joker shouldn't be involved at all in future films for a while. There are great villains to choose. Black Mask is at the top of my list. Since the film was announced as not having an origin story it would open up with Wayne as Batman in his first or second year as the masked man. I believe there should be some things he hasn't had yet. Batmobile is still in the development stages and he is using something along the lines of the Bat-Pod for transportation along with gliding. I agree that Gotham needs to be more Gothic-esque. I enjoyed the run-down look of Gotham in Batman Begins, but in TDK & TDKR Gotham looked like Chicago and New York combined, it looked like a generic metropolitan-like city. I loved Burton's stlye of Gotham, Schumacher's was just laughable, but I agree there should be some parts that slightly resemble that style. If I was to make it more interesting, I'd have Wayned using a prototype outfit as Batman before finally using a truer Batsuit.

It needs to be dark. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were dark, Rises felt toned down. It needs to be darker than Nolan's films. Dark to the point it could even be rated R.

I can't cast Bruce Wayne/Batman, but I'd go with James Faulkner as Alfred. Joel Edgerton as Roman Sionis. I'd have it be a total of 4 films. First with Bruce Wayne in his early stages as Batman and battleing the Mafia and Black Mask. The second be a much more traditional dark Batman film with The Riddler causing mayhem and testing Batman mentally. Riddler would be more real than Jim Carey's performance and would be almost along the lines of a medicated psychopath and I'd have Guy Pearce playing the character. Third film would be set directly after the second in the same year, but in the winter and would Harvey Dent turning into Two-Face as well as Batman dealing with the troubles from Hugo Strange (thinking of having Bane be an experiment of Strange, but I may change my mind). The fourth and final film would be Bruce Wayne hanging up the suit A quarter through the film, only to be forced to don the suit for the coming of Harley Quinn and The Joker, with a final confrontation & fight between the two during the climax.

I figured, why not save ONE of the best villains for the last in the series?

#4 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

If they want to reboot - does it make any sense to ignore what TDKR sets up? Would Nolan not even be involved as a producer?

#5 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

Well, Batman's really Uslan and Melniker's gig, isn't it.

As for the question, I'd set it in the 1930s, and give it a film noir look.

#6 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

A period piece would be very, very cool.

#7 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:51 AM

Any Batman reboot will tie into the upcoming JLAj movie so I doubt there will be any period pieces. As for who should play Boatman I say go with an unknown actor. I'll have more thoughts later. Right now on Pandora listening to Danny Elfman Batman theme

Damn auto correct-Batman is not Boatman

#8 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:41 AM

The first film of the reboot needs to forgo the origin story entirely. By now, everyone and their grandmothers know how and why Bruce Wayne became Batman; there's absolutely no use wasting valuable screentime reliving the Wayne murders yet again. The next series could begin with Batman already several years into his crusade, and, as such, should feature Batman's allies and sidekicks (Nightwing, Robin, Oracle, etc.) as an established presence in Gotham. We don't necessarily need to see these characters' origins play out on screen to appreciate and care for them, although I would depict the fate Jason Todd's Robin via flashback.

Meh, I'm not really into the sprawling cast of derivative Bat-Family hangers-on. I would like to see a Batman Reborn movie though, with Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin, but I'm probably in the minority there.

Either that or set in the 30s/40s, with gangsters and molls and radio announcements and spinning newspaper headlines.

#9 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:27 AM

I actually like this period idea, should help to set it apart nicely from Nolan's run (though personally I'd rather see a Shadow film with that setting).

Also this bat-family affair seems to water down the figure, not sure if that is the way to go.

#10 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

I actually like this period idea, should help to set it apart nicely from Nolan's run (though personally I'd rather see a Shadow film with that setting).

Also this bat-family affair seems to water down the figure, not sure if that is the way to go.

I respectfully disagree. BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES demonstrated that the expanded Bat-Family dynamic can work without taking the focus away from the titular character. Look at the X-Men trilogy; there's a team dynamic but Wolverine (the most popular mutant) was always front and center. Hell, I'd even be fine with them giving Wayne his dog, Ace. Just because he's depicted as a loner and a recluse, doesn't mean he has to be devoid of humanity.

I don't think we'll ever get a Batman period piece, especially now, when it's obvious that the next Batman series will have to tie into the eventual Justice League film. A TV series or DTV Blu-Ray film, though? Definitely.

I believe out of respect to Heath Ledger who potrayed Joker wonderfully and Jack Nicholson who did the same, Joker shouldn't be involved at all in future films for a while. There are great villains to choose. Black Mask is at the top of my list.

I'm of the opinion that a character like the Joker is bigger than any actor that has ever played him, with all due respect to Heath Ledger. However, I fully agree that we shouldn't see him for a while, at least three films. I like the idea that the Joker is an omnipresent figure, haunting Batman every time he suits up and chooses to put a young protege's life at risk on the streets of Gotham. I'd set him up as an Arkham inmate at the start of the series, alluding to his existence every so often before breaking him out in the fourth or fifth film.

As far as other villains go, I don't think we should see Scarecrow, Catwoman, Two-Face, Bane or Ras al Ghul in the next series. In my opinion, they were, for all intents and purposes, mastered in the Nolan trilogy, and with so many great Batman villains that haven't even been touched on the big screen, why rehash character that have been done as recently as five years ago? Black Mask is essentially a glorified mob boss--as is the Penguin--which is why neither of them could really carry a film. You need a true psychopath and/or someone with some sort of elemental/physical spectacle to leave a lasting impression on film.

A few more ideas for the Batsuit:

The 'New 52' Batsuit
Posted Image

'Batman: Earth One' Batsuit
Posted Image

'Injustice: Gods Among Us' Batsuit
Posted Image

'Smallville: Season 11' Batsuit
Posted Image

#11 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Interesting concept, not sure all of the ideas would work out - and some of the plots in the films you have suggested sound a smidgeon repetitive (conspiracies abound and partners, fallen or otherwise, appear in several - even minor characters such as Valley and the Jason Todd Robin). Agree with the poster who said that the relaunch is going to have to tie into the eventual Justice League franchise, and for me, this would suggest that whomever takes the cowl, whatever the plot becomes and whichever of the rogues gallery put in an appearance, it needs to take a hefty dose of inspiration from the Marvel franchise and whatever they do with Man of Steel.

For me, this puts us into looking directly at Iron Man - it's our closest comparison in 'the other franchise' to the Batman universe, and whilst the Marvel universe that has been established has always had more of a light hearted element, that doesn't mean we wouldn't be able to take inspiration from it. From Man of Steel, which if I understand correctly has espoused Kal-El's arrival on Earth, firm in the belief that we do not need to see the origin story of the villain - and likewise here, after two high profile relaunches for Batman in the past thirty years, we do not need to be shown the same story again unless it fundamentally alters the background of the character (Amazing Spiderman reshowed the origin, in part because it fundamentally altered the origin of the main character). We can jump straight into the main action.

#12 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

I respectfully disagree. BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES demonstrated that the expanded Bat-Family dynamic can work without taking the focus away from the titular character. Look at the X-Men trilogy; there's a team dynamic but Wolverine (the most popular mutant) was always front and center. Hell, I'd even be fine with them giving Wayne his dog, Ace. Just because he's depicted as a loner and a recluse, doesn't mean he has to be devoid of humanity.

I don't think we'll ever get a Batman period piece, especially now, when it's obvious that the next Batman series will have to tie into the eventual Justice League film. A TV series or DTV Blu-Ray film, though? Definitely.

I have to confess I have really only the foggiest of ideas about this Bat Family. I am very casual about Batman and never bothered with JLA, so I may perhaps not even qualify as a fan. At a guess I'd just say a large-scale production needs to attract audiences beyond the hardcore fanbase, and those would have to be introduced to the characters before teaming them up. But if they can make it work, fine.

#13 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

I would agree I would like to see different characters then what we have seen but I wouldn't mind seeing the Joker return if it meant we got to see his sidekick/girlfriend or whom ever it was that was with the Joker in the animated series.

#14 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

I left it too long to edit my post from earlier - as have been thinking more about the proposals above, and namely how I would set about doing the reboot. Running with the idea that we don't require an introduction story - we can assume that all the major pieces are in play but nothing notable has happened for the character yet (we can even leave the exact cirumstances of his adoption of the cowl nebulous to begin with) and we merely commence with Batman in play as a costumed detective, not yet the superhero that he will become. This, then, is our opening story - how a man who is a costumed detective at best, and a vigilante at worst, becomes a superhero and known outside of Gotham City.

Metropolis will be mentioned, but not seen. Superman will exist (obviously) but we may wish for this movie to come before Man of Steel - and with the title of Man of Steel being used for the Superman movie, and The Dark Knight already in use, let us approach this movie with the title of THE CAPED CRUSADER. If, in TCC, we need Batman to move from being a costumed detective to bein a superhero, then we need a major player for a villain - not a lower tier hero, but one that could present a major threat to the DC-movieverse and not just to our interpretation of Gotham. My first impulse would be to take a note from the first two arcs of the Grant Morrison 'Batman and Robin' title - and, possibly eradicating the 'Jason Todd' is the Red Hood plot, move forward with something involving Professor Pyg and The Flamingo. Of course, this Jason Todd mega-arc running across the two arcs would proove the backbone between the two threads - and without them, the story is weakened. Perhaps then, not eschew the arc, but alter it - so that we do not get hampered with the baggage of explaining who Jason Todd is and inviting our audience to care about his relations with Batman - so that it is an original character, created exclusively for the movie, with a motivation not dissimilar to Jason Todd.

Jason Todd, in motivation if not in name and history.

Though we might require a Robin to be in play at the opening of the film - we do not want to spend much time dealing with his introduction, we do not want to do an origin story for Robin if we have abandoned doing one for Batman. Do we require n origin for Robin, or do the audience already know the basic essence of the Robin character - Could we even jettison the Robin character and bring in one of the three iterations of the BatGirl character to serve as principal sidekick for the movie instead. Cassie would not make a good character to slide in - Perhaps use a variation on the Stephanie Brown character?

#15 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

I'd like to see them skew the franchise slightly younger (early thirties or, at the youngest, late twenties) and focus on Batman's early years, but without any screentime devoted to the origin story, which would have already happened off screen prior to the beginning of the first film of the reboot.

I would still like to see them be able to use the full gallery of villains, rather than simply limiting themselves to those that Nolan didn't use. The Joker and Two-Face should definitely appear, alongside Bane in a true adaptation of Knightfall later on in the franchise. Joining them should be Mr. Freeze, the Riddler, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, Harley Quinn, and Hush, with the more mob-influenced characters like the Penguin and Black Mask appearing in supporting roles. I think it would also be interesting for the series to bring the Phantasm character from the animated film into the live action series as well.

With regards to bringing in allies for Batman, I'd like to see them go that route, but not go overboard and bring in a whole bunch of them. I think one or two would be good, although I think instead of Robin perhaps the main sidekick should be female. She could be someone that assists Batman in his detective work, perhaps even mostly from the Batcave rather than in the field, only to have to don a cape and cowl later in the series to assist Batman when he gets into a situation where he might not make it out alive.

Edited by tdalton, 18 August 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#16 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

Though we might require a Robin to be in play at the opening of the film - we do not want to spend much time dealing with his introduction, we do not want to do an origin story for Robin if we have abandoned doing one for Batman. Do we require n origin for Robin, or do the audience already know the basic essence of the Robin character - Could we even jettison the Robin character and bring in one of the three iterations of the BatGirl character to serve as principal sidekick for the movie instead. Cassie would not make a good character to slide in - Perhaps use a variation on the Stephanie Brown character?

Nice idea, terminus. :tup:

One response to your proposal, which I'm sure would be very controversial if WB chose to pursue it, would be to have the first Robin be Damian Wayne, the lovechild of Bruce Wayne and Talia al Ghul many years prior to the first film in the reboot.

#17 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

My Batman Reboot Idea-Batman is 25, and borrows elements from Earth One, Batman (1989) and Batman Begins and some from Court of Owls

Open the film with the death of Thomas & Martha Wayne. No need to develop a full backstory as to why they were there out walking late at night. Flash forward to the present when we see a family similar to Bruce's getting mugged. The thugs take their money and run, only to be pursued by Batman. Once they find a hole to settle into, Batman arrives and takes them out, while the thugs talk, Batman says nothing. At the scene we see Lt. James Gordon arrive at the scene, and one of the beatne up thugs talks about Batman. It seems Batman has been active for 3 months now, and is targeting muggers, thieves and at least one rapist. We then cut to the batcave as the batmobile pulls in. Alfred is there as Batman takes off his cape and cowl and changes into a robe. He and Bruce chit-chat about some things as the door to the study opens, we see a porttrait of the Wayne Family above them.

The next morning Bruce Wayne is in the headliines for breaking off a relationship with TV reporter Vicki Vale. Alfred wonders if Bruce will ever make the time for a real relationship, but Bruce only comments that nobody could understand his 'night life'. He goes to Wayne Enterprises, and acts like the interested head of the business while everyone knows Lucius Fox runs the company for him. They are discussing a joint venture with LexCorp, one that involves constructing a defense platform in outer space. LexCorp would supply the materials, while Wayne Industries would supply other resources, including the outlines for the O.M.A.C project. The meeting adjourns after Bruce expresses concerns doing business with Lex Luthor. He is more concerned over the rise of the Red Triangle Circus gang as seen in the paper he is reading and on TV.

We cut to Carmine Falcone, who is the head of the Gotham Underworld, known as the Court of Owls. He is vowing to take out the head of the Red Triangle Gang, Oswald Cobblepot, aka The Penguin (He is not the Burton version, but more like the comic version, small, but very muscular, walks like a Penguin due to his size). One of the bosses, Salvador Maroni (who later scars Harvey Dent to make him Two-Face) says they need to pool in resources to hire a South American hitman, Another boss, Carl Grissom suggests they use their own hitman, Jack Napier (The Joker-before his 'change'). As they argue the door is kicked in, and in comes the Penguin, along with his enfocer and muscle Killer Croc. Penguin announces he is running the Court, and to prove it has Croc kill one of the lesser members. Penguin then takes his seat and starts barking orders, to which Falcone ignores. Seeing this, Penguin tells him he better start agreeing with him. Or else.

Bruce Wayne is out on a lunch date with Vicki Vale and they seem to patch things up. Unknown to Bruce he is observed by a man who is concealing himself. After the lunch date, Bruce begins work on the Red Triangle Gang. Later that night he learns of a warehouse robbery, the target a nerve toxin. Batman stops the robbery, but is badly beaten by Killer Croc, as he was not ready to deal with his strength. He is able to escape, but now must rethink his approach. Later that night the Court has made a descision-they want to kill Batman, and rely on their own special enforcer. Penguin wants to meet him, and we only see this person from behind.

Lt. Gordon is at the robbery scene, and they think they have a sample of Batman's DNA from blood left at the scene. Unfortunately for Gordon, it isn't Batman's blood, but Killer Croc. He sees the DA of Gotham August Kyle to get a warrant to arrest Penguin but he refuses. Gordon then leaves and tells his detectives, Harvey Bullock and Sarah Essen to fiind anyone who will talk about the Penguin. He then meets with Harvey Dent, an assistant DA and Dent will go to get a warrant but needs a stool pigeon. Gordon assures him he is working on it. As Gordon leaves, he starts his car and Batman is in it. Gordon is shocked, but Batman assures him he is not an enemy. He tells Gordon that Penguin is trying to take over the Court of Owls, and Gordon tells him their chief enforcer would not allow it. Gordon believed Batman to be it, but Batman reminds him he hasn't been in Gotham that long. Gordon is about to ask another question, but Batman has already left.

At Wayne Manor, the man who observed Bruce Wayne and Vicki Vale is at the gates. He is only there a moment and drives off. Vicki Vale is on her way in a professional matter to interview Bruce Wayne about the O.M.A.C. initiative and to get a more detailed look into his life. The interview goes well, and as he and Vicki are about to leave, Alfred gives him the phone, and a voice at the end of the line says he needs to go to the place where the Wayne's currently rest. Bruce decides to take the bait and goes to the graves of his parents. He finds a man standing there, and he turns to reveal himself. Its the man who was observing him, and he introduces himself as Thomas Wayne, Jr. Bruce is shocked but does see a resemblance to his father. He tells Bruce that like him, he is avenging the murder of his parents, but also tells him that it was the Court of Owls that did the killing. When Bruce asks why, he is told to figure it out himself. Bruce then goes home and confronts Alfred, who tells him that before Thomas married Martha he dated the sister of Carmine Falcone, and she got pregnant. They named the boy Thomas Wayne Jr. Carmine hoped Thomas would be a mob doctor but he he refused. soon, Falcone's sister died, and Thomas Jr got despondent and had a mental collapse. Thomas signed away his rights and wrote Thomas Jr. out of the will. Bruce now knows who oredered the deaths of his parents and rushes off to see Falcone.

In his home, Carmine Falcone is relaxing as Batman crashes in. He lands a few punches on Falcone until another caped figure arrrives. He and Batman engage in a fight, but Batman is able to get the best of him. Owlman, as he is revealed looks almost exactly like Batman, as Falcone's men try to shoot Batman, they hold their fire. Batman is able to escape, and Owlman assures Falcone that there will be another time, but he needs to call in the Court. Owlman is now revealed the head of the Court of Owls. At the meeting the Penguin feels its time to work closely with Owlman. His gang will steal an arms shipment the next night, and to get Batman's attention, Owlman will take a hostage.

At her apartment, Vicki Vale is kidnapped by Owlman. In a board meeting, there is talk of a weapons shipment coming in for a test to show off the O.M.A.C. program. Bruce voices concern over security, and it is addressed. He then get a cell phone call. Its his brother telling him he has Vicki. If he wants to see her alive he will allow the incoming weapons to be stolen. Bruce leaves and then tells him this won't work. He is hung up on. The sun is setting. Batman is then racing to Gotham in the Batmobile. He phones Gordon to tell him that the Penguin is stealing the incoming Wayne Enterprise weapons shipment. Gordon has his men work on the stiing to nab the Penguin while Batman races to the building he was told to go to by his brother. Once he gets in, there are 10 armed men, and Batman is able to take them all out.

Gordon's men arrive at the scene, and Penguin and his men are all arrested. Harvey Dent is there, and the Penguin agrees to cut a deal for a reduced sentence. He tells Dent that Maroni is the head of the Court of Owls.

Batman then faces Killer Croc, and the battle is as intense as earlier, but Batman uses his surroundings, to gain an advantage. He then wraps his cape around Croc's neck and he passes out. He then finds Owlman, and tells him it is all over. He can see Vicki tied up and gagged, but next to her is another chair, the occupant cannot be seen. Owlman tells Batman that if he truly wants justice he must help him kill the man who murdered the Waynes. The other chair spins to reveal Carmine Falcone. He was the one who shot Thomas and Martha, but he couldn't kill Bruce. Batman tells him this isn't justice but revenge, and killing is a line that he will not cross. When Owlman threatens Vicki, Batman asks him how does that make him different from Falcone. Owlman then attacks Batman. The fight is nearly even, but the older Owlman gains an upper hand. After taking Batman's utility belt he walks over to Vicki and unties her. He tells her she needs to get the story of the century. At that moment, Batman strikes. He slams Owlman into the wall and puts his utility belt back on. He and Owlman then fight and knock each other out of the window and hang on the ledge. Taking shots at each other, Batman gets on the ledge and Owlman does as well. Batman takes off his cowl and Bruce pleads with his brother to stop this. Owlman takes off his mask and Thomas Jr says their father would be ashamed of him. Jr tells him to find his father's killer he went into the underworld and became its master. Now that he knew it was Falcone he could kill him and sell out the mob to the police one by one. Saying that went against all his beliefs Bruce puts on the cowl. He tells Jr that if that is the path he chooses to go, he will stop him. They get back to the fighting and get back into another room. Owlman stuns Batman with a taser, and then tosses a knife into Falcone, who is killed. Batman shakes off the taser and tackles Owlman and they go out the window. Batman fires a grappling gun and secures Owlman as the hook connects and stops their ascent. Owlman loses his grip and grabs Batman's leg. As they hang, Batman pleads with his brother. It can all end now, but Owlman refuses. The police arrive and Batman tells him that Justice will be served to the Gotham underworld. Owlman agrees, and then lets go. Batman watches in horror as Owlman falls to his death, landing on top of a police car. Gordon looks up and sees nothing. Batman then lets Vicki leave, and watches from a distance as she runs to tell Gordon what happened. A camera crew arrives and Vicki takes the microphone and tells her ordeal to the public.

The next day Owlman is identified as Thomas Falcone, not Thomas Wayne Jr. but he is to be buried next to the Wayne Plot. As Bruce stands over his brothers grave, he sees what he could have become. Alfred reminds him that while he too fears Bruce could become that, he is glad he at least stopped the descent. Vicki Vale arrives, and Bruce takes her into his limo. As the sun sets, we see the Bat Signal in the sky. Batman arrives, and Gordon tells him since he couldnt call him this was the next best thing. He then tells Batman of a robbery, and of a clue left at the scene. He hands Batman a green envelope with a question mark. Batman reads it and tells Gordon he'll get to work on it right away.

After the end credits, we see a well built Asian man walking into a throne room. He pauses at the throne and kneels. The figure in the throne is in shadows. The Asian man tells him Owlman has failed and has been stopped by Batman. The man in the throne says that he is disappointed but is not concerned. He asks the Asian, named Ubu, if the O.M.A.C. project has been sabotaged. After Ubu gives his confirmation, Ra's Al-Ghul rises and tells him that everything is in place, and that the Legion will be pleased at this development.

#18 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

Very well-written, hcm! Superb job working together multiple storylines from the various comic books. You managed to include many Batman villains without having the story feel over-crowded.

Will we be getting a follow-up? :)

#19 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

Very well-written, hcm! Superb job working together multiple storylines from the various comic books. You managed to include many Batman villains without having the story feel over-crowded.

Will we be getting a follow-up? :)

Glad you liked it, kinda went from the hip.

My sequel would have the Riddler and the transformation of Harvey Dent into Two-Face-however Dent will be rehabbed in the end. The 3rd movie would deal with the Knightfall storyline and introduce Dick Grayson as Robin to help Batman combat Bane,

#20 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

Sound like good ideas. I'd probably try to introduce some different villains if it were up to me, but your version has a very clear direction to it.

#21 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

Thought this was pretty hilarious: http://www.cracked.c...ore-honest.html

#22 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

Some very good ideas from Coco.
I too do not want an umpteenth "origin" story. We should have something like Dr No, where we are introduced to a charcater who's already who he is.
Also, provided they are well written and not Schumacher-like, I think The Riddler, Freeze, Poison Ivy and Killer Croc or Black Mask might be great villains.

That being said, I don't think having the side-kicks would be such a good idea. This is a Batman movie, not a Bat family movie. One of the very few issues I have with Nolan's Batmen is that we see very little of Batman. So if we have Robin & co., that means even less screentime for Bats'.

Besides, I'm not sure about using the Knightfall plot again. I would rather they use the "Court of the Owls" run as a wonderfully exciting background to develop a movie on.

#23 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

Another BATMAN reboot? It seems as if Warner Bros. and DC Comics are only concerned with rebooting Superman or Batman . . . or else they will dump some other DC Comic hero on our laps, like the Green Lantern. Yet, they've managed to stay away from Wonder Woman for three decades.

As they say . . . it's a man's world. No wonder it's a pile of crap.

#24 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

A re-boot without the origin story would be the best way IMO, too.

And though I liked Nolan´s trilogy very much, I would prefer someone to do this not in the too realistic and darkly sinister way. Someone who would have fun with it instead of making it a story of "our times". Schumacher went too far. Burton did his own thing too much without being really interested in Batman. I think it´s time for someone who loves Batman and does not want it to be taken too seriously.

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 03 September 2012 - 06:07 AM.

#25 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Well said SecretAgentFan, also, the Knightfall would be pointless. Why re-adapt the storyline. Sure Nolan butchered it (in my opinion). but theres no need for it.

#26 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

If it were me, I'd take Batman Earth One and make a film out of that. Possibly mix in some new elements of the Court of Owls storyline.

Take Man of Steel, I have a notion it's going to be a hybrid of Superman Birthright and possibly have some Smallville elements thrown in for good measure.

#27 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Word on the street is that the new Batman will be unveiled in the JLA film.

#28 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Those are some streets you hang around dude

#29 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Source below champ.

http://collider.com/...191809/?_r=true

#30 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

If/when the Joker appears in the reboot, I fully expect his appearance to be based on his 'new look' in the DC Comics universe:

Posted Image