53 replies to this topic

#31 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

True, but many did the same. I still think the MAC is weak-compared to the SEC or Pac 12, but now that Ohio lost, any chances of a BCS bid bit the dust.

Gameday in BR for the next Bama beatdown. Before Les Miles press conference LSU was an 8 point underdog. Now they are a 10 point underdog. I just hope we can score this time.

#32 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

True, but many did the same. I still think the MAC is weak-compared to the SEC or Pac 12, but now that Ohio lost, any chances of a BCS bid bit the dust.

Gameday in BR for the next Bama beatdown. Before Les Miles press conference LSU was an 8 point underdog. Now they are a 10 point underdog. I just hope we can score this time.

But any conference looks week compared to the SEC and Pac 12 and for every Alabama and Oregon you have a Kentucky and a Colorado. Personally, i think Toledo and Northern Illinois in general and Kent State this year are quite capable of beating teams from the super powers. The conferences were recently ranked and the MAC placed 5th above the Big East, the ACC, the Mountain West, the WAC, the Sun Belt and C-USA that 5th ranking lands them over two conferences with BCS bids. I think taking teams like Toledo, NIU, Ohio, Kent State, etc as not serious threats to the bigger teams is a mistake. Who saw ULM beating Arkansas?

#33 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

ESPN the Magazine will have some articles about the LSU-Bama game from Nov 3, including articles on Les Miles and some of the gameday experiences at Tiger Stadium.

S/O to Texas A&M for knocking off Bama, It was hard to lose to Bama, since we blew it at the end, but nice for the Aggies to get some street cred. Kentucky has fired Joker Phillips, waiting for Tennessee and Auburn to do the same. I expect Auburn to hire Bobby Petrino, since he has ties to Auburn.

Cruiserweight I agree the MAC is surprising this season, but still not IMO deserving a BCS shot. An unbeaten Ohio I could have argued should-since Penn St has turned out to be a better team than most thought. But I do think MAC teams deserve the at large or other bowl games that the bigger conferences cannot fill. Who thought Kent St would be this good? Hint, it wasn't me.

#34 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

Congrats to N-llinois for winning the MAC& possibly costing your conference BCS millions . Stanford is smelling Roses but UCLA made them work for it.

But I have to say this: Go Dawgs! Beat Bama!

#35 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

Well, Georgia took clock management classes from Les Miles, but that was the best SEC title game since 2001 IMO when LSU beat Tennessee. Exciting game.

It's Bama vs Notre Dame for all the marbles

#36 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

BCS games:

Orange-Florida St vs N Illinois

Fiesta-Oregon vs Kansas St

Sugar-Florida vs Louisville

Title Game-Notre Dame vs Alabama

#37 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

So what was that about the MAC not getting a BCS berth? I fully expect NIU to win as well. FSU could barely beat a 6-6 Georgia Tech team last week and NIU is damn sure better then Georgia Tech. Also happy about the two landing spots for my two favorite teams the Toledo Rockets and NC State Wolfpack (Idaho Potato Bowl & Music City Bowl)

#38 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Honestly, I don't think I could stomach another SEC Title. So looking forward to the new playoff format next year. Of course all it will do is to allow 3 SEC teams to play for the national championship....

#39 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

So what was that about the MAC not getting a BCS berth? I fully expect NIU to win as well. FSU could barely beat a 6-6 Georgia Tech team last week and NIU is damn sure better then Georgia Tech. Also happy about the two landing spots for my two favorite teams the Toledo Rockets and NC State Wolfpack (Idaho Potato Bowl & Music City Bowl)

I said possibly....not that they wouldnt. But Florida St will win, sorry. N Illinois lost to a terrible Iowa team by 1 point, now granted it was 1 point. If Iowa had finished as I thought and had been an 8-4 team, then I would think the Huskies have a shot to beat FSU. The Seminoles have too much talent and speed, and I don't think N Illinois can handle that talent or speed-but that's why they play the game. Toledo vs Utah St is one of those under the radar matchups that will be quite good. NC State against Vandy will be fun to watch as well.

Oh, note to Jesse Palmer, while Clemson is a very talented offense, they cannot handle LSU's defense. David Pollack was right to slam you down on the Bowl Selection show. LSU will win, but it will be a very close game. I think the time off will allow our defenders to rest and they should overcome the mistakes made against Ole Miss and Arkansas. Hopefully our WR drops will be at a minimum and Spencer Ware and Johnathan Hill can run all day and night.

Congrats to Johnny Manziel, for winning the Heisman, and to Collin Klein and Manti Te'o for having incredible seasons as well.

Bowl Predictions to come next week, in depth bowl coverage will be the 5 BCS Bowls, Cotton, Chik-Fil-A, Independence, New Orleans, and 1 or 2 others.

Honestly, I don't think I could stomach another SEC Title. So looking forward to the new playoff format next year. Of course all it will do is to allow 3 SEC teams to play for the national championship....

Actually its 4 SEC teams  :)

#40 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Yea, thanks for that.

#41 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

I'm sorry to disagree but i'm a smidgen shy of guaranteeing a victory by NIU in the Orange Bowl. That's how sure i am.  Speaking of bowl predictions, i figured i might as well post mine. Finished mine a few days ago.

New Mexico Bowl: Nevada vs. Arizona

Idaho Potato Bowl: Utah St. vs. Toledo

Poinsettia Bowl: BYU vs. San Diego St.

Beef O' Brady's Bowl: UCF vs. Ball State

New Orleans Bowl: East Carolina vs. UL Lafayette

Las Vegas Bowl: Washington vs. Boise State

Hawaii Bowl: SMU vs. Fresno State

Little Caesars Pizza Bowl: Central Michigan vs. WKU

Military Bowl: Bowling Green vs. San Jose St.

Belk Bowl: Duke vs. Cincinnati

Holiday Bowl: UCLA vs. Baylor

Independence Bowl: Ohio vs. ULM

Russell Athletic Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. Rutgers

Meineke Car Care Bowl: Minnesota vs. Texas Tech

Armed Forces Bowl: Rice vs. Air Force

Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse vs. West Virginia

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl: Navy vs. Arizona State

Alamo Bowl: Texas vs. Oregon St.

Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl: Michigan State vs. TCU

Music City Bowl: Vanderbilt vs. NC State

Sun Bowl: Georgia Tech vs. USC

Liberty Bowl: Iowa State vs. Tulsa

Chick-fil-A Bowl: Clemson vs. LSU

Heart of Dallas Bowl: Purdue vs. Oklahoma State

Gator Bowl: Mississippi State vs. Northwestern

Capital One Bowl: Nebraska vs. Georgia

Outback Bowl: Michigan vs. South Carolina

Rose Bowl: Stanford vs. Wisconsin

Orange Bowl: Florida State vs. NIU

Sugar Bowl: Louisville vs. Florida

Fiesta Bowl: Kansas State vs. Oregon

Cotton Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Texas A&M

Compass Bowl: Pittsburgh vs. Ole Miss

GoDaddy.Com Bowl: Arkansas State vs. Kent State

BCS Championship: Alabama vs. Notre Dame

#42 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the Bowl predictions, Cruiserweight! I kinda ran late, so I will cover the BCS and a few other ones of Interest:

Independence Bowl-Ohio vs UL-Monroe

Excitement abounds in Monroe as for the 1st time in school history they play in a bowl game-the Div 1-AA National Title game doesn't count. The Bobcats have bowl game experience, and IMO have a great shot to win. But this is where eager could beat pretty. While I feel Ohio is a more complete team, I think the excitement of the Warhawks fans can energize this team to pull an upset, but it will be close.

ULM 38 Ohio 35

Music City Bowl-Vanderbilt vs NC State

One of the SEC vs ACC Bowl match ups, I don't think this will be a close game. IMO, Vanderbilt is hungry. The Commodores have a shot at a 9 win season, as rare as finding a virgin in a Maternity Ward. Humor aside, NC State will be moving on with a new coach, but eventually the talent of Vandy will wear out the Wolfpack.

Vanderbilt 42 NC State 20

Capital One Bowl-Georgia vs Nebraska

A tale of 2 teams that lost their Conference Championship Game. 1 team fought to the very end, the other quit. Nebraska has been a very streaky team, they either play like crap, or play like a contender, but they don't often play bad in back to back games. Georgia should've beaten Alabama, but even with a long layoff, will they be able to rise up to play a solid football team?  I think this one goes to the SEC

Georgia 28 Nebraska 24

Outback Bowl-Michigan vs South Carolina

Michigan IMO was a big failure this season, and also IMO their offense sputtered when Denard Robinson got hurt, and then was moved away from playing QB. South Carolina lost some punch when Marcus Lattimore went down for the season, but Connor Shaw stepped up his play at QB, and they have a damn good defense. I don't know why I am doing this, but the SEC will lose a game.

Michigan 21 South Carolina 20

Chik-Fil-A Bowl-LSU vs Clemson

The battle of the Tigers, this is a very intriguing matchup-Clemson's fast break style offense vs LSU's defense. While LSU played badly against Ole Miss and Arkansas on the defensive side (typical for LSU under Les Miles) once they have time to rest and heal up, they shock you. Clemson has enough weapons on offense to score on LSU early, but remember while they let Ole Miss move and score, they shut down the explosive Johnny Football in the 2nd half. LSU QB Zach Mettenberger has REALLY improved his play, with Jarvis Landry becoming a breakout WR. Clemson has a great coach, a great program and great fans-they will make the Georgia Dome loud. But I am going with my Tigers.

LSU 20 Clemson 16

Cotton Bowl-Texas A&M vs Oklahoma

Aggie fans wanted this one-a Big 12 team to play in a bowl game. While Texas was the team they desired, I think the Sooners can say "Be careful what you wish for." Oklahoma has not played to their potential, many thought they would be in the BCS Title Game. But this is a matchup of 2 great QB's. Can Johnny Football shake off the sometime Heisman curse? Will Landry Jones establish himself as the top pick at QB in April?

Oklahoma 45 Texas A&M 41

BCS Bowl Games

Rose Bowl-Stanford vs Wisconsin

The Badgers blasted Nebraska then lost their coach to Arkansas. Barry Alvarez will coach the team in the Rose Bowl, but new HC Gary Anderson might take the reigns since Utah St finished their bowl game a few days back. Stanford had a surprising year, as David Shaw did a helluva job coaching this team. In the end, the Pac 12 team wins this one, but in a close one.

Stanford 24 Wisconsin 17

Fiesta Bowl-Oregon vs Kansas St

The one bowl game that could have been the BCS Title Game, many people were happy about this matchup. Collin "Optimus" Klein leads the K-State team against the very fast up tempo Oregon Duck offense. K-State had some success handling up tempo offenses earlier, but Baylor exposed them. Oregon can't handle good defensive teams (Stanford this year, LSU last year). But we all know the only question everyone will ask-what crappy uniform will Oregon wear next?

Oregon 49 Kansas St 23

Sugar Bowl-Louisville vs Florida

Louisville HC Charlie Strong was Florida's DC and won a couple of national title there in 2006 & 2008. Florida, has a bad offense, but a great defense. Louisville has a great offense, but an average defense-compared to the defense of an SEC team. Florida runs the ball very well, and can wear out a good team (LSU, Florida St) but struggle against good offensive teams (Georgia-who they statistically dominated and would have won if not for TO's on the offense). Many feel this is a blowout, not me.

Florida 20 Louisville 14

Orange Bowl-Florida St vs Northern Illinois

Many were upset about N. Illinois getting into the BCS. Some felt Oklahoma, LSU or Texas A&M were more deserving-personally I am one of them. The Orange Bowl however had to take an at large team-and Northern Illinois under the BCS rules qualified. To me the big question is can the Huskies fans travel? That will be answered, but while the Huskies have a great dual threat QB-they have not faced a very talented team like Florida St. This wont be Georgia-Hawaii or Florida-Cincy, but it will be a sleeper.

Florida St 48  Northern Illinois 17

BCS National Title Game (In Miami)-Notre Dame vs Alabama

Historically, Notre Dame has the upper hand in the overall series and in bowl meetings. I had the Irish in a BCS Bowl (Not this game) in my preseason pick, and when I told some people this in August I got laughed at. Alabama I thought would not be here, yet here they are again. Now before i get to the nitty gritty, I dislike both of these teams with equal passion. This is not the matchup I wanted to see, but it is what it is. Now the Irish have something that hurts Bama's defense-a scrambliing QB. But look at what Denard Robinson did against this defense (nothing). Johnny Manziel had a great game-but I think LSU wore out Bama the weak before. Notre Dame is very capable of beating Alabama-they have a lot of good athletes. But Bama has a lot of good players too, and depth is not something the Irish have enough of.

Alabama 28 Notre Dame 26

#43 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

It was great to read your picks and thoughts. I'm only 3-3 in my current picks but to be fair i'd be 4-2 if i had picked the Idaho Potato Bowl properly. I went against my feelings and made a homer pick with Toledo even though i knew they'd lose.

#44 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

If its any consolation you are way ahead of me now. Merry Christmas!

#45 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:30 AM

Merry Christmas to you too good sir! What's your record if i might ask? And now i'm 3-4 with SMU pulling the upset over Fresno St.

#46 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Only winners I have are Boise St, Arizona, and Cincy.

#47 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Clemson should send a game ball to Les Miles (Les Mis).

#48 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Definitely down from my total last year but i'm currently at 18-15 with two to go.

#49 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

Notre Dame getting blasted right now.

#50 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

Well that was no surprise. Oregon should've been in the national championship instead.

#51 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

My preseason top 10.

1. Alabama

2. Oregon

3. Texas A&M

4. Ohio State

5. Stanford

6. South Carolina

7. Georgia

8. Florida State/Notre Dame

9. Clemson

10. Louisville

#52 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

National Signing Day is today and once again the SEC cleans up. 7 of the top 11 recruiting classes are from the SEC, with Ole Miss making a big splash.

Will be reviewing the new hires at the major programs soon, and begin a new college football topic in a few months

#53 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Time to review the new hires!

SEC

Kentucky

Out-Joker Phiilips

In-Mark Stoops

Kentucky is not known for being a power in football, but they have won a conference title (When Bear Bryant coached there). Rich Brooks proved you could win here and go to bowl games, something Joker Phillips, his replacement wasn't able to continue. Mark Stoops comes from Florida State, is a good recruiter and should bring a defensive scheme that can help the Cats be competitive. Grade: B Plus

Tennessee

Out-Derek Dooley

In-Butch Jones

Derek Dooley had some talented players, but couldn't get them to play to their full potential and was shown the door. Butch Jones left Cincinnati for a hefty payday, While Jones, a understudy to Brian Kelly, has shown he can move up and win, will he be able to get Tennessee to compete with Florida, Georgia, and Alabama again? Grade: B

Arkansas

Out-John L. Smith

In-Bret Bielema

Nobody expected Smith to be the full time coach, but nobody expected all that talent to go 4-8. Arkansas however hit the jackpot hiring one of the best coaches in the Big 10, and more importantly getting their name mentioned on ESPN, and other media outlets. Will ground and pound work in the SEC West? We have to wait and see, but their recruiting class was pretty solid, and Bielema is a defensive minded coach. Grade: A Plus

Auburn

Out-Gene Chizik

In-Gus Malzahn

After what can only be described as freefall (or WTF happened to us by Auburn fans), Gene Chizik was shown the door, and Auburn surprisngly lured Gus Malzahn, who was the OC under Chizik until the start of last season, away from Arkansas State, and possibly the Arkansas job to become the new head coach. Malzahn has a talented defense, but the offense is a mess, but it will take time to get back to being competitive. Grade: B Minus

SEC coaches on the hot seat in 2013: Dan Mullen-Miss St, Gary Pinkle-Missouri

Big 10

Purdue

Out-Danny Hope

In-Darell Hazell

Danny Hope did as well as he could at Purdue, but the Boilermakers were a disappoiintment with many (including me) feeling Purdue could have a breakout season, instead barely qualified for a bowl game. Darell Hazell won 11 games at Kent State, has ties to Ohio St, and the Big 10 recruiting trail. My only knock is he has 2 yrs of experience as an HC, and is taking over at a school in the mid to low level in the Big 10. Grade: B

Wisconsin

Out-Bret Bielema

In-Gary Anderson

When Bret Bielema left Wisconsin for Arkansas everyone did a double take. Barry Alvarez handpicked him to be his successor, and had won 3 straight Big 10 titles. Gary Anderson made Utah St competitive, and despite being a defensive coach, ran a fun and exciting offense. Grade: A

Big 10 Coaches on the Hot Seat in 2013: Bo Pelini-Nebraska, Kirk Ferentz-Iowa, Jerry Kill-Minnesota

Big XII

Texas Tech

Out-Tommy Tuberville

In-Kliff Kingsbury

Tommy Tuberville left Tech, and while there are allegations of the manner in which he left (allegedly walked out while hosting recruits), former QB and Texas A&M OC Kliff Kingsbury comes in. Out is the Tuberville Slow Raid offense and back is the Air Raid offense that made Tech a name. The only knock is a lack of experience, but this has been a starting job anyway. Now if they can find a good DC...   Grade: B Minus

Big XII Coaches in the Hot Seat in 2013: Paul Rhoades-Iowa St

Pac 12

California

Out-Jeff Tedford

In-Sonny Dykes

Jeff Tedford did well overall, but the last few years were disappointments. Cal hired another offensive minded coach in Sonny Dykes, and like Tedford has some ties in the PAc 12 recruiting landscape being the OC at Arizona a few years back. But going from Ruston, LA to Berkely, CA is a major culture shock, and LA Tech coaches haven't fared well leaving Ruston-I am looking at you Derek Dooley and Gary Crowton. Grade: C Minus

Colorado

Out-Jon Embree

In-Mike MacIntyre

Jon Embree was shown the door after winning only 4 games in 2 years, not enough to get a possible 3rd season. MacIntyre rebuilt San Jose St, and lead the Spartans to a Top 25 finish. If Colorado is to compete, the facilities need to be expanded and upgraded. Not all success is recruiting, but it helps to have that too. Grade: B Plus

Oregon

Out-Chip Kelly

In-Mark Helfrich

Chip Kelly leaves Oregon for the Philadelphia Eagles, and it doesn't look like he'll take the Nike jerseys to the NFL (Imagine the sweet Ron Mexico Jersey that Nike and Kelly could give to Michael Vick!). Oregon stayed in house and named Helfrich the HC days aflter Kelly pulled a Nick Saban. Was this the smart thing to do given the timing of Kelly's departure? Yes. Will it be the right fit long term? Grade:  C

Pac 12 Coaches on the Hot Seat: Lane Kiffen-USC,

ACC

NC State

Out-Tom O'Brien

In-Dave Doeren

Tom O'Brien was underwhelming as the coach of the Wolfpack, and this season was shown the door. Dave Doeren comes in after having success at Northern Illinois the last 2 seasons, and while he doesn't have a lot of experience this too seems like a good fit. Grade: B

Boston College

Out-Frank Spaziani

In-Steve Adazio

Frank Spaziani was a loyal assistant and was rewarded by being named HC back in 09. Now, the Eagles have made a change. Before taking over at Temple, Steve Adazio was known for being the interim HC at Florida while Urban Meyer took a leave of absence. Adazio's 2 yr record is spotty, he went 9-4 in 2011 and 4-8 this past season. Again, I question the experience. Grade: B

Syracuse

Out-Doug Marrone

In-Scott Shafer

Doug Marrone left to take over the Buffalo Bills, and like Oregon, Syracuse hired from within. Shafer was the DC, and did a respectable job running the Orange defense. I have always been wary of hiring from within, but see Oregon for the dilemma. Grade:  C

ACC Coaches on the Hot Seat: Randy Edsall-Maryland

Big East

South Florida

Out-Skip Holtz

In-Willie Taggart

Skip Holtz just couldn't win here, and was shown the door. Willie Taggart rebuilt Western Kentucky from obscurity and into a winning program. Taggart has several facotrs in his favor-experience, pedigree (Jim Harbaugh understudy) and ties to the area (played and grew up in Tampa). This can be the next Miami if they can find a way to tie it all together and keep the good players in the area from leaving for out of state schools. Grade: A

Temple

Out-Steve Adazio

In-Matt Rhule

For a change, Temple is hiring a new HC not for losing too many games but b/c their previous HC left for another job. Matt Rhule was an assistant for the Giants. and his NFL background can be a plus for recruiting, but the track record of success is sketchy. For every Nick Saban you get a Karl Dorrell. However, Rhule was OC here under Adazio's predecessor Al Golden, so he should fit in. Grade: B

Cincinnati

Out-Butch Jones

In-Tommy Tuberville

Butch Jones bolted for Tennessee and SEC millions, while Tommy Tuberville left Texas Tech for Cincy, making this a headscratching hire. Having known of Tuberville for a long time, this is a home run hire. However, Tuberville needs to be consistent offensively. At Auburn he had success with a ball control offense, and struggled going to the spread at Auburn and altering the Air Raid at Tech. Still, his success speaks for itself. Grade: A Plus

I will not list a hot seat for the Big East

Select Non BCS Schools

Idaho

Out: Robb Akey

In: Paul Petrino

Robb Akey had some limited success, but was shown the door. Paul Petrino steps out of his brother's shadow and takes over a new job. Idaho is a starter job if you're successful, the end of the line if you fail. Grade: C Minus

Northern Illinois

Out: Dave Doeren

In: Rod Carey

Doeren is at NC State, so his OC Rod Carey takes over. Carey got the most out of his team in the Orange Bowl, and if he keeps that up, he will do just fine here. The Huskies have a hit here. Grade:  A

Southern Miss

Out: Ellis Johnson

In: Todd Monken

Ellis Johnson finally got a shot to be a HC and showed why it was a mistake to be hired going 0-12 in 2012 after the Eagles went 12-2 in 2011. Tood Monken comes in as the former Oklahoma St OC (like former HC Larry Fedora) to take the reigns and guide the Eagles to the future. Grade: A

Arkansas St

Out: Gus Malzahn

In: Bryan Harsin

Malzahn to Auburn, so Ark St hires Texas Co-OC Harsin to guide the Red Wolves, who have had their 3rd HC in as many years (not counting interim HC John Thompson). Hugh Freeze and Malzahn left after only a season, so if the trend is true expect Harsin to coach in the SEC in 2014 (Just kidding). But this is a stepping stone job. Grade: B Plus

Kent St

Out: Darell Hazell

In: Paul Haynes

Hazell has moved up to Purdue, and the Fighting Lou Holtz's have hired Arkansas DC Paul Haynes to replace him. Haynes had a stop at Ohio St. like Hazell (worked with him too) and has kept some of the good coaches from following Hazell. Grade: B Plus

Florida International

Out: Mario Cristobal

In: Ron Turner

For more in FIU, read cbssports.com under the NCAAF tag. This place is dysfunctional without the fun, and with a capital D. Cristobal was shown the door after a bad season and Ron Turner the former Illinois HC and Bears OC comes into town. I don't think its a bad hire, but he is unfamiliar with the territory. Grade: C Plus

Louisiana Tech

Out: Sonny Dykes

In: Skip Holtz

Dykes went to Cali, so the Bulldogs hired a former HC at a BCS conference school to run the show. This is a splash hire, but the doubters will say Holtz has declining stock value, while supporters say he did well at ECU and didnt forget how to coach. Grade: B

Western Kentucky

Out: Willie Taggart

In: Bobby Petrino

By far, this was the BEST hire of any school. Taggart left for USF, but Petrino has a strong pedigree. Despite the reason for his firing (using university athletic $ to hire his mistress) he will find some good players, and in turn raise the profile of the Sun Belt. He won't stay long, but the Hilltopper's profile will be raised. Grade: A Plus

Nevada

Out: Chris Ault

In: Brian Polian

The architect of the Pistol offense after a long and successful 28 yr career stepped down and will enjoy a well desreved retirement. Brian Polian was the TE's and Special Team's coach at Texas A&M, and has limited experience operating the Pistol. Polian brings experience from Stanford, Notre Dame, and Central Florida. Grade: C

New Mexico St

Out: DeWayne Walker

In: Doug Martin

Walker left to take a position coach job with the Jacksonville Jaguars, but likely would have been let go after 2013 anyway, having gone 10-40 in 4 seasons. Martin, the former HC at Kent St and the current OC takes over the toughest job in all of college football. This is an impossible place to win, but get to the 5-6 win plateau and people will notice. But in the end its still New Mexico St. Grade: Incomplete

#54 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

Waiting for LSU to wrap up spring ball, then will start new College Football topic. Lots of changes coming this season, and in the future as we say goodbye to the BCS and hello to to an imperfect playoff system.