53 replies to this topic

#1 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

Well, it is getting to be that time again, and it seems like this starts earlier and earlier-hooray! Since some of the football guides are out right now, its time to start this topic off!

The upcoming season will be interesting for sure, so here are a few ?'s to ponder:

1. Will the SEC win a 7th straight National Championship?

2. How big a role will realignment play?

3. Which new coach will turn around his program?

4. Will the NCAA pay players?

It's these questions that will give us a lot to talk about from now until next February, I will give my take on the topics in College Football and answer those ?'s I listed above. To start, yes I believe the SEC will win a 7th straight, and it shouldn't be a shock about who I pick to win it all (Cough, Cough, LSU, Cough, Cough).

As always I will break down all of the conferences in the FBS, but will feature a couple of FCS schools as well. Of course when big news hits you'll read about it here as well, and I while I do try to be informative I also hit a little controversy-I actually like the BCS still, and do NOT favor a playoff. So in the next few weeks I will cover some smaller schools and start my conference reviews-I hope to be done by late August with those. Hard to believe the season starts in just under 3 months!

#2 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

Starting in 2014, the champs of the Big 12 and the SEC will face off in a bowl game. The questions are: 1) Which Bowl will host 2) Where will it be & 3) How does this affect the possibility of a Plus One proposed format?

I will give the answers IMO:

1) & 2) It should be the Sugar Bowl. I don't see the SEC giving up this tradition, one they have enjoyed since the inception of the conference. New Orleans is homefiled SEC advantage-but frankly the city needs something like this. It's not too far out of the way for Big 12 fans and is a great tourist attraction. The Big 12 has the Fiesta Bowl-which frankly not many SEC fans would make that long of a trip, and it really isn't in Big 12/SEC geographical areas anyway.

3) If this were to be a plus one bowl game, leave it as is. But if it isn't, we already know that the runner ups would get at large BCS berths and play in this game

I have given my reasons against a playoff, and stick by those. But if they do propose a Plus One here is my idea, using the current BCS Bowls AND assuming the SEC/Big 12 Bowl is the Sugar.

Rose-Big Ten vs Pac 12 conf champs

Sugar-SEC vs Big 12 conf champs

Orange-ACC vs Big East conf champs

Fiesta-At Large vs At Large

Each bowl would be tied into the conference champs except the Fiesta Bowl, which could host the Mountain West Champ and an undefeated team from the WAC. After these games are played, the top 2 teams left would play the next week at a rotating site that goes every 4 yrs. In this case I have the Rose Bowl as that site, followed by the Sugar, Orange and Fiesta Bowls. This way the Bowls keep their prestige and the National Title Game gets a rotating site, just like it is now. I see this as a logical plan so naturally it won't get followed, but I think its a fair shake. It doesn't exclude anyone-as some voters may like the Cinderella MWC or WAC team getting a shot at a automatic qualifying school.

Reviews coming soon!

#3 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

CBS has released their broadcast schedule-here are the highlights:

Sept 1st-Notre Dame vs Navy in Dublin, Ireland. I think this will be a great game & nice to see College Football in Europe.

Nov 3-the rematch. LSU hosting Alabama at 7:00 PM in the REAL Death Valley. Tiger fans are training for this game now. Bama fans you bring the Dreamland ribs we'll give you our beer. Deal?

More details to come soon!

#4 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Once I start conference previews-I will briefly cover the SWAC and the Ivy League, and a couple LA college football teams. Then I start with the FBS lowest 2 conferences-the WAC and Sun Belt.

Here is my updated review schedule:

June 30th weekend-Southeastern LA, SWAC, Ivy League & Northwestern LA. These will be quick reviews, just a couple of sentences and some quick info.

Independence Day Weekend-WAC, Sun Belt and Independent Reviews. These will be more detailed-especially the Independents as I feel Notre Dame could possibly make the BCS this year.

#5 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

It looks like we will be close to having a possible Football 4 playoff system for major college football-and the only hurdle I see could be the Rose Bowl and the College Presidents. The Presidents will want to see money, and I haven't heard anything about those figures just yet. Say what you will about the BCS but the College Presidents DO like it-they count the dollar signs at the end of the year. Will they still get to see that or will this make more? Nothing definite there, but I expect them to pass it-but not by a large margin. Next is the Rose Bowl-which may have the Trump Card to end this talk. First is the time of the game has been pretty fluid, as has the day-it seems to always be on Jan 1st. If it is to be part of a playoff, that might be a problem-UNLESS the Title Game is 7-10 days after New Year's Day. If the Football 4 are played on Jan 1st then they may accept to be part of it-BUT they may only hold on to the Big 10 vs Pac 12 aspect. If you saw my earlier post, I think this should still be in place, however if enough money is seen the Rose Bowl may jettison that requirement and follow the trend. Now this isn't going to end the chaos, IMO it will only amplify it, and that could be a bad thing. Say what you will, the BCS keeps sports talk in business and so will this proposed system-but the arguement of who got in vs who should get in will still continue. Mark my words, you heard it here first.

#6 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

Breaking News!

As I predicted, college presidents approve a playoff system to start in the 2014 season. I am personally waiting for the revenue sharing details to emerge-but it must have been more than what the BCS pays out. All that needs to be sorted out is which bowls are involved-and a side note the championship game will NOT be considered a bowl game

#7 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

Some quick reviews:

Southeastern Lions-members of the Southland Conference, this small school has had a winning tradition in the past, but in 1985 the program was shelved for financial reasons. In 2001, some big time donors hoped to raise $4 million to restart the program and raised over $6 million. In 2002, it was announced that Southeastern would start football in the fall of 2003, and soon after made a splash hire in former Kentucky HC Hal Mumme. The Lions had a decent run, and Mumme left after the 2004 season. Then the problems hit-Mumme's replacement Dennis Roland was diagnosed with cancer, and bravely battled it as he coached, but it took a toll and he was let go in favor of the interim HC Mike Lucas. Lucas was a decent coach, but was a better assistant than a program runner. Now the Lions have turned to a proven HC in Ron Roberts who comes over from Delta State. I like the hire, and his enthusiasm. While he has a long way to go to get the Lions to compete for a conference title, he is the right guy for the job. This is a 5-6 win team this year

Northwestern LA Demons-HC Bradley Dale Peveto had a tough 1st yr going 0-11, but has a team that in 4 yrs could win the Southland title. He is a good recruiter and has been able to find some surprise players that fly under the radars of the LSU, Tulane, LA Tech and UL-Lafayette. I expect the Demons to contend, possibly reach 9 wins this season and maybe get the playoff bid-but will face stiff competition from McNeese & Central Arkansas for the title.

Southwestern Athletic Conference-these schools are comrpised of Historically Black Colleges, and is a 10 member 2 division conference. Some of the NFL greats-Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Doug Williams-attended colleges in this conference. The 2 division winners play in a conference title game and the winner does not advance to the FCS playoffs. The big game is the Bayou Classic which is the annual Southern-Grambling matchup in New Orleans highlighted by the halftime Battle of the Bands, and televised by NBC.

East (Previous year standings)

1. Jackson St (Walter Payton played here)
2. Alabama St
3. Alabama A&M
4. Alcorn St (Steve McNair played here)
5. Mississippi Valley St (Jerry Rice played here)

West

1. Grambling-Doug Williams is back for his 2nd go around as HC here, and has the most talent in the SWAC. Expect another title this year too.
2. Arkansas Pine Bluff
3. Prairie View A&M
4. Southern-HC Stump Mitchell is in the hot seat and MUST have a winnig season to keep his job. They lost a few close games last year-4 of their 7 losses were by a combined 12 points so going 6-5 could be possible this year.

Ivy League-I always called this the cradle of college football, as these are some of the oldest football playing schools in the country. They are unique in the FCS as they also do not have post season play, and only play a 10 game schedule. They also start in mid September so as not to interfere with their academic schedule. Recently, NBC Sports Network announced they will televise 7 League games this year.

Last year's standings

1. Harvard-The Crimson have been the dominant force in the Ivy League going 9-1 last year, and their HC Tim Murphy had a brief fling for the Penn St job
2. Brown-Famous alums are the late Joe Paterno and Chris Berman of ESPN, has won 2 titles in the 00's after once being the joke of College Football
3. Yale-lots of drama, former HC Tom Williams had falsely stated something on his resume and was caught and resigned, new HC Tony Reno comes from the Harvard staff and hopes to get the Bulldogs to their 1st title since 1999
4. Pennsylvania-the Quakers have since 2000 shared the tile with Harvard a few times.
5. Dartmouth-former Stanford and Tulane HC Buddy Teevens runs the Big Green, and hopes to turn the team above .500 this year
6. Cornell-The Big Red went 5-5 after being 2-8 the previosu year. HC Kent Austin looks to get this team in contention this year.
7. Princeton-HC Bob Surace has a long road to rebuild the Tigers, and has NFL connections to boot. A former player at Princeton also.
8. Columbia-former Cornell HC and an LSU assistant football coach in the 1980's Pete Mangurian takes over the Lions, hoping to get them into contention for an Ivy League title. Mangurian also has NFL experience as the Giants O-Line coach in the 1990's. Personally, since he is an LSU grad I hope he does well here-and we screwed up not hiring him in the 90's.

#8 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

1st review! Here I will give you the schedule:

This week-WAC, Sun Belt
Next Week-Independents (Notre Dame getting my new BCS treatment for my review), MAC

2012 WAC Preview

I hate to say it, but this conference may be done in football, and pretty soon. Defections have taken their toll, and more are still on the horizon. It looks like in a couple of years this will be a non football conference. But they are still here for now, and here we go:

7. UT-San Antonio-former Miami, FL HC Larry Coker has the Roadrunners off to their start as a football program. In yerar 1 they were at the FCS level, but now step up into the BCS level-for now. A young and talented team, they should get some lumps before growing up a bit.

6. Texas St-Its year 2 of the Dennis Franchinoe era with the Bobcats-and like UTSA are in their 1st year as a BCS level competitor.

5. New Mexico St-The Aggies under HC DeWayne Walker seem to be moving in a more positive direction, but still lack depth.

4. Idaho-The Vandals under HC Robb Akey have been inconsistent, and have a brutal NC schedule that includes LSU, North Carolina & BYU

3. San Jose St-the Spartans need to be more like the Spartans in 300 this year, HC Mike MacIntyre doesnt have much to work with, but they should have at least 4 wins in Conference play.

2. Utah St-The Aggies have come a long way under HC Gary Anderson. Going to a bowl game last year, the Aggies might do the same again this year

1. Louisiana Tech-The Bulldogs are happy Boise St is gone, now they can finally claim a conference title before moving to Conference USA. The Bulldogs should win the WAC-despite having only a handful of starters back on defense.

#9 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

2012 Sun Belt Preview

This conference is your historical money games, but dont let that be seen as a sign of disrespect. The Sun Belt is actually on the move up, and possibly having some of its non football members adding teams in the near future. Georgia St will join in 2013. Unlike the WAC, this is not a weak conference, as these teams can beat each other any given Saturday.

10. South Alabama-The Jaguars are playing real football teams this year, and have been competitive under HC Joey Jones, going 17-0 in his 1st 2 yrs but played mostly small schools and some JUCO's. Last year they played NC St and Kent St and were slightly competitive. They need 2 years to contend here.

9. Florida Atlantic-Howard Schnellenberger out, Carl Pelini is now in to guide the Owls. He has a lot of work cut out for him this year on a team that was 1-11 a year ago. Still, there are some talented players, but they have a long way to go in recruitiing, but seem to have the coaches for the task.

8. Middle Tennessee St-the Blue Raiders and HC Larry Stockstill were the toast of the town a few years ago, but dropped to 2-10 a year ago, and may have a coach on the hot seat. Despite having a lot of starters back, I am keeping them in the cellar for now.

7. North Texas-the Mean Green and HC Dan McCarney may be on the upswing to get to 6-6. With almost everyone back on offense, they will have to outscore teams to win-but a brutal NC highlighted by their slaughter by LSU on week 1 might bang up a few players who could help down the stretch.

6. U of Louisiana Monroe-the Warhawks under HC Todd Berry took a step back last year going 4-8 after being 5-7 the year before. Is he the right fit? only time will tell, but there are enough returners to help, and they did have a few close losses a year ago as well.

5. Troy-the Trojans took a GIANT step back after being a top winner here for a few years. HC Larry Blakeney has been here for 22 years and has been here before. This is a ballsy team, not afraid to play anyone, and playing the bulk of their NC games later in the yr (Tennessee, Navy) might help get the Trojans off to a fast start in 2012.

4. Arkansas St-HC Gus Malzahn is back in Arkansas where he was top notch High School HC. He was the OC at Arkansas and won a NC while being Auburn's OC. The Red Wolves IMO overachieved last year, but have a coach who can help propel them up. They might go bowling again this year-but thats a slight chance.

3. Western Kentucky-the Hilltoppers may have the biggest chip on their shoulder-they went 7-5 and didnt make a bowl game. HC Willie Taggart has done an incredible job taking a winless program into a bowl eligible team in only 3 yrs. Look for a bowl this year.

2. U-Louisiana Lafayette-the Ragin Cajuns under HC Mark Hudspeth were the only team in the state of LA to win their Bowl Game in New Orleans, and it was the best one of the entire Bowl season. Momentum has built up, and the Cajuns expect another bowl this year.

1. Florida International-The Panthers under HC Mario Cristobal have really come a long way. Just a few years ago, they were my projected last place team here, now I have them winning the whole damn thing. The Panthers have 17 starters back, with 10 back on defense, so I expect the Panthers to party it up at bowl time.

#10 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

2012 MAC Preview

This conference is large-has 13 members, and a new member-welcome to the FBS UMass! Some MAC teams play big time BCS opponents every year, and this is no exception. Some schools serve as launching pads for HC's looking to move up (Ara Parseighan, Paul Dietzel, Urban Meyer to name a few) have all coached in schools this conference. While the conference is getting stronger, I still feel a 12-0 team here won't get a BCS shot, but that could change if a school gets consistent winning 10-11 games a year.

MAC West

6. Ball St-my all time favorite named college has had brighter days. Brady Hoke left after a great season, which seems like ages ago. The fighting David Letterman's finished 6-6 under 1st yr HC Pete Lembo a year ago, but have a tough schedule in conference play, and back to back BCS games against Clemson & Indiana to start the season.

5. Eastern Michigan-HC Ron English may be the guy to turn this program around, and after going 6-6 a year ago the ship is sailing-but they still lack the talent to win more than 6 games. BCS opponents are Big 10-Purdue & Michigan St. Offense has 9 starters back, and has to carry this team for the 2012 season.

4. Central Michigan-The Chippewas HC Dan Enos is firmly on the hot seat here, entering yr 3. After winning under Brian Kelley and Butch Jones the Chippewas have struggled, going 3-9 a year ago. 16 starters are back, 8 on each side, so there is reason for optimism. But can they get wins is another question that needs an answer.

3. Toledo-the Rockets burned bright last year, going 9-4, but face changes. New HC Matt Campbell takes over for Tim Beckman who left for Illinois. Despite returning only 8 starters, this is a talented, but young team. Campbell was already on Beckman's staff so there wont be any big changes, but that may be good for short term-will it be good enough for the long haul?

2. Northern Illinois-a weak East schedule may help the Huskies out in the upcoming season. Bad news is most of their offense is gone, but the bulk of the defense remains. HC Dave Doern will have his work cut out for him again, but if the defense plays well enough and the offense grows up fast, 11-3 could be a possibility again this year.

1. Western Michigan-The Broncos under HC Bill Cubit have done very well, and expect to do so for 2012. The BCS schedule is light-Illinois, Minnesota and Connecticut. Expect big things here in 2012, but will it be good enough to win the MAC?

MAC East

7. UMass-while not eligible for the title this year, the Minutemen are not going to contend this year anyway. Playing 4 BCS teams (UConn, Indiana, Michigan and Vandy) mean 1st yr HC Charley Molnar will have a brutal season. With a seasoned OC & DC, and some good recruiting, UMass could contend in 3-5 years.

6. Akron-the Zips dis just that last year, accomplished well, zip. Former Auburn and N Alabama HC Terry Bowden, who is joined by 2 former ACC HC's in his brother Jeff as OC & Chuck D'Amato as DC. The Zips have a long way to go to get back to the top here, but they have the right people in place.

5. Buffalo-Turner Gill did well here, but HC Jeff Quinn hasn't. He is on the hot seat this year, and BCS opponents include Georgia, UConn & Pitt. With 15 starters back, 8 on defense this is his best team here. But can they get more than 5 wins?

4. Kent St-the fighting Nick Saban's finished the year at 4-1, and have a lot of momentum for a team that was 1-6 at that point. I think 6 wins is possible-only BCS school they play is Kentucky, so not a chance to get beat down like they were a year ago. 8 starters back on each side of the ball gives 2nd yr HC Darrell Hazell a reason to be optimistic this season.

3. Bowling Green-I like the Falcons chances to possibly win out, but face a stiff road in doing so-but their talent matches the other 2 teams in their division (Miami, OH & Ohio). HC Dave Clawson's teams lost a couple of close games, bbut have 17 starters back (10 on defense) and Florida and Va Tech spaced out on the schedule, so they wont get too banged up starting the season.

2. Miami, OH-The Redhawks were 4-8 last year, but HC Dan Treadwell has a reason to be happy-16 of them. That's how many starters return, 9 on offense, have a favorable East schedule, and a great home schedule. Only Ohio St & Cincy are the BCS stops on the schedule.

1. Ohio-HC Frank Solich is on the verge of winning his 1st title here, despite blowing it last year. The Bobcats have a lot of talent back, 14 starters back, 8 on defense and are coming off the 1st bowl win in school history. Penn St is the only BCS team they play, and have a wealth of talent that can translate to a conference title.

MAC Title Game: Ohio vs Western Michigan

Predicted MAC Champ: Ohio

#11 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Some notes before I go on, the Penn St matter has grabbed news, and it seems the Penn St administration at the time (President, AD & Head Football Coach) were in erorr for not taking action from stopping Jerry Sandusky from molesting children on campus, and did not take any action to keep him off campus entirely. This does tarnish the legacy of the late Joe Paterno, who once had the reputation as the most moral man in college football. It will take years to undo this damage.

Now before I review the Independents, I need to create a guide, so here goes:

HC-Head Coach
OC-Offensive Coordinator
DC-Defensive Coordiantor
NC-Non Conference
CP-Conference Play
ND-Non Division (I will spell out Notre Dame, not use an initial, and I am not covering North Dakota so I am good there)

When breaking down the BCS (I am including Notre Dame) you will see me listing the offense, including the type of offense and defense and a number by it, for example:

LSU

Offense-6 Pro I

That number denotes the returning starters on that side of the ball, and I will do the same for the defense. Hope that helps you interpret what I am saying and I hope you enjoy!

#12 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

2012 Independents

Army Black Knights-HC Rich Ellerson has done a good job, but had the bottom fall out from under him going 3-9 last season. On a positive note, they stayed in the game with Navy last season. The Knights have a tough schedule-San Diego St, N Illinois, Wake Forest to start the season. Still, the triple option is a tough offense to plan against from week to week, and their multiple front defense utilizes their speed and quickness to confuse QB's. This staff is now in its 4th season, and I am optimistic the Knights can go bowling in 2012.

Navy Midshipmen-HC Ken Niumatalolo also had the ground fall a year ago-his 1st losing season since taking over 5 yrs ago. They play Notre Dame in Ireland to start the season, From Sept 15-at Penn St thru Nov 17 hosting Texas St-I only see maybe 3 losses (Penn St, Air Force & Indiana). Army they play on Dec 8. I see a bowl game for the Middies, so its back to lovely San Diego for them. But they wont be independent long-they join the Big East in 2015.

BYU Cougars-I was really surprised by this team a year ago. When they beat Ole Miss by only a point, I thought this was a 3 win team at best. Boy was I wrong, and maybe being an Independent is a good thing for the Cougars who went 10-3 a year ago. Big games are Washington St, Utah, Oregon St, Notre Dame, and Georgia Tech. The Cougars have 14 starters back (7 on each side), so HC Bronco Mendenhall will have another fun year, and a bowl game to finish it off again this year.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Offense-8 Spread

Last season, shaky QB play in the beginning of the year hurt the Irish, as Red Zone TO's were the death of them in losses to USF and Michigan. The QB play this year should be better, Tommy Rees is back, but is being pushed by Andrew Hendrix & true freshman Gunner Kiel. The rushing attack, a staple of Notre Dame football for years has been a RB by committee, and are not the big punishing backs of the Big 10 or SEC, but quick, and fast in open field-perfect for the spread offense. The O-line is showing gradual improvement, but they need to cut down on the small mistakes.

Defense-6 3-4 scheme

the Irish IMO finally have front 3 to play thier scheme properly. You need big guys to occupy space, but the lack of depth could be a concern-bottom line they cannot afford multiple injuries here. The LB corps is well represented, and has a lot of depth to fall on. This is the strength of the defense-essential if you play this scheme, so it can take up the slack if a starter is missing on the DL. The secondary needs to improve a bit after falling back in pass defense rankings a year ago, and are young this year, but I think it helps since the Irish played a lot of nickle coverage, the new starters do have playing time.

Prediction: I only see 2 definite losses-Oklahoma and USC. The maybe losses are Michigan, Mich St, Miami, FL (in Chicago) and BYU. If the Irish go 10-2, expect an Orange Bowl bid, b/c if they achieve that feet, with this schedule, they deserve it.

Upcoming preview schedule:

Conference USA (Next week)
Mountain West (Next week)

BCS Previews start in 2 weeks with the Big East! Then its 1 preview a week!

ACC in 3 weeks
Big 10 in 4 weeks
Big 12 in 5 weeks
Pac 12 & SEC in 6 weeks

I may change things up a bit depending on time, but thats my rough cut now.

#13 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

2012 Conference USA Preview

There are lots of rumblings that CUSA will merge with the remaining Mountain West next season, Still, some teams here can give major colleges a run for the money-ask Georgia. This conference has former Southwest Conference memebers Rice & SMU, and former Independents that make up the bulk of membership. Next year, Memphis, Houston, Central Florida, & SMU will bolt for the Big East while taking in La Tech, Florida International, North Texas & UT-San Antonio.

CUSA West

6. Tulane-The Green Wave made a great hire in Saints WR's coach Curtis Thompson as HC. While he will be able to get good athletes into Tulane, I dont think they have much of a team this year. There are some talented players-QB Ryan Griffin is one of them, and he's back. 4 wins are a stretch-but if they pull a shock win hosting Ole Miss-this might be a great start in the Johnson era.

5. Rice-HC David Bailiff is on the hot seat for the Owls, who under Todd Graham went to bowl games, but now have struggled as of late. A 4-8 team a year ago, I thingk Rice can do a little better. Playing UCLA at home could be a big win for Rice, and playing SMU and UTEP at the end could give the Owls a 6-6 record, but I dont think its enough to save Bailiff's job.

4. UTEP-Mike Price has done well here, at least in the beginning of his tenure here in El Paso. But lately, losing seasons have been piling up. Like Rice, UTEP has to think about the future of their HC next season, UTEP will have to rely on an experienced offense to counter its inexperienced defense.

3. SMU-HC June Jones is erasing the stigma of the Death Penalty here. He's taken the Mustangs to 3 bowl games, winning 2 of them, The defense will have to carry the Mustangs this season, but still many offensive recruits come here, and SMU has a lot of young talent to continue being successful.

2. Tulsa-HC Bill Blankenship took over for Todd Graham and went 8-5, doing well in his 1st season. The Golden Hurricanes have a soft NC schedule (Arkansas is toughest, and that is later in the year), but have to face Houston, Marshall, and SMU on the road.

1. Houston-The Cougars rolled to a 13-1 record, and lost QB Case Keenum to the NFL, and HC Kevin Sumlin to Texas A&M. Tony Levine coached them in the bowl game win over Penn St, and was named HC shortly thereafter. The good news is there isn't a system change on either side of the ball-despite having new assistant coaches, but I think Sumlin had a lot to do with the success of Houston the last 4 yrs. A light NC schedule helps-a rematch w/ UCLA is the only toughie.

CUSA East

6. Memphis-former LSU assistant coach Larry Porter was the HC for 2 years and they were miserable. TCU OC Justin Fuente was named HC, and may be able to direct the Tigers back into a winning program, but there is a long road ahead. There are only 1 or 2 good players here, Still, the future is bright, and 3-9 isnt a stretch, but its still an improvement.

5. UAB-Out is Neil Callaway, in is Garrick McGee who was at Arkansas to replace him. He has brought in a talented staff, but if the Blazers are to contend, Legion Field needs to be renovated and the recruiting budget increased. Better facilities = Better Players. its worked for other schools (SEC).

4. Marshall-The Thundering Herd, led by the puneriffic HC Doc Holliday has turned the corner in being a winning coach, going 7-6 last year and getting a bowl win. The spread offense is doing well, and will be relied on to carry the team as the defense lacks experience. 7 wins easy though, and another bowl game is possible.

3. East Carolina-HC Ruffin McNeil's 1st game ever was a dramatic win, and many consider it one of the best games in college football. But going 5-7 a year ago is leaving some bad tastes in the Pirates fanbase. While not on a hot seat, the Pirates need to improve. Expect 8 wins, 9 if they can knock off Southern Miss.

2, Southern Miss-Larry Fedora pissed off the CUSA Comissioner by blasting Houston and costing the Cougars a BCS bid a year ago. He left for North Carolina and former S Carolina DC Ellis Johnson gets to take over the Golden Eagles (Fighting Brett Favre's). 2 former HC's-Rickey Bustle of U-La-Laffayette as OC and Memphis HC Tommy West as DC are on the staff. I dont see 12 wins again, but maybe 9. A good start in the Johnson era.

1. Central Florida-HC George O'Leary has reclaimed his good coaching name after lying on his resume cost him the Notre Dame job. UCF returns a lot of talented players, and despite going 5-7 is my choice here to take the East. The Knights should be well, despite having a rough NC schedule, but catch the brakes with tough CP at home.

CUSA Championship Game: UCF vs Houston

Predicted CUSA Champion: UCF

#14 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

2012 Mountain West Preview

In the past I have treated this as a BCS level conference, but not this year. I dont think they will qualify, as I have Notre Dame going to the BCS this season. Still, the rumors of merging with CUSA are still out there, as Boise St and San Diego St bolt to the Big East next season. I can only look at the present, and not the future, so here I go.

10. New Mexico-One of the splash hires was right here, former Notre Dame HC Bob Davie takes the reigns for the Lobo's and looks to emulate Rocky Long's tenure here and not the travesty of his predecessor. Its not an easy job, but if the Lobo's can get some recruits, they will be a tough team-in 2104.

9. UNLV-The Running Rebels fans may want basketball to start soon. HC Bobby Hauck hasn't captured the magic here as he did at Montana, but in his defense this is a tough place to recruit. It is possible to win here, but the Rebs lack the talent to do so, for now.

8. Hawaii-Norm Chow is finally a HC, and I expect big things in the future, but for now the Warriors will struggle, meaning this is a building year.

7. Colorado St-Former Bama OC Jim McElwain takes over as HC here, and like Chow has a long way to go to get the Rams back in contention.

6. Fresno St-Long time HC Pat Hill out, Tim DeRuyter is in. I dont think they will improve, actually take a step back this season. Still, I admire the BUlldogs willingness to play anybody anywhere anytime philosophy & hope it continues in the future.

5. Air Force-I have the Falcons here b/c they only return 6 starters (3 on each side) and while there isn't much of a transition due to running the option, its the losses on defense that concern me. I dont see the Commander In Chief Trophy this year for the Falcons, but I do like HC Troy Calhoun and the good job he's done here.

4. Wyoming-I really like HC Dave Christensen. I think he has done a great job, but I do have to worry about the rate of his players transferring out. His former starting QB transferred before last season but they found a good replacement in Brett Smith. Coming off an 8-5 record, I could see this team do the same, and keep him off the hot seat. If they finish below .500 I think he's out.

3. San Diego St-I like the Aztecs, and HC Rocky Long, but once you lose your leading rusher and passer, well its difficult to replace both. Still, the Aztecs have enough starters back (6 on each side) to stay iin games, but CP on the road is tough-Boise and Nevada are the road games.Ouch.

2. Nevada-HC Chris Ault designed the Pistol offense, and it has become a wrinkle in many offenses in college football. I think the defense will carry the Wolfpack this season, but if the QB can mature, then I see a great season in Reno.

1. Boise St-What else needs to be said? The most dominant program of all the Non automatic qualifiers will be a BCS team next season, but this is the last time they are the big fish in a little pond. Had they not lost to TCU, it is possible they would have played LSU in the National Title Game last season. HC Chris Petersen is 73-6 and has the best record in college football the last 6 years, as he goes into year 7. Michigan St is the opener on a Thurs night and if they can channel what they did on 2009, a win here might propel them into BCS talk, but I think a good SEC team keeps them out of BCS-but that wont be the case next season as they vie to be conference champs in 2 different conferences in 2 yrs next season in the BIg East.

#15 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

Previews: I will try to do 4 conferences this weekend, had family visit so I couldnt get anything done last week. I hope to do the Big East, ACC, Big 12 & Big 10.

By now you have all heard of the penalties tacked on to Penn St by the NCAA. Players can transfer w/o sitting out a year-Silas Redd is at USC & Rob Bolden is now at LSU. While I think the penalties are correct I ONLY disagree with the punishments assessed w/o an NCAA Investigation. The Freeh Report was not an official investigation, & while their findings were damning, the NCAA bypassed doing their own investigation & used an independent study to hand down severe penalties.

Like I said-I think the penalties are fair, but I think once the judicial process & NCAA investigations done THEN hand down the penalties. I understand wanting to make a quick decision but I would want all the facts before making a decision like this.

The stripping of Joe Paterno's wins is the only thing I think is unfair. Those players from 1998-2011 had no involvement w/ what went on & they shouldnt be punished-BUT I understand why this was done.

So what positive can come from this? I dont think that football coaches will be thought to be 'running' the school as many feel they do. Unlike the SMU death penalty which IMO did little to stop improper benefits at other schools (too many to name here), I do think there will be serious across the board institutional changes at all colleges. Just like nobody wants to be the next SMU, nobody wants to be the next Penn St.

#16 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

2012 Big East Preview

I thought this conference would die when TCU left for the Big XII w/o even playing a game yet, West Virginia leaving and Pitt & Syracuse leaving as well. But that isn't the case. Now that the BCS is going to be a thing of the past in a couple of years, I think the Big East steps back a bit. Houston, SMU, Navy, Memphis, Boise St & San Diego St (As football only members) all will join soon. Good news-I think all 8 teams will be bowl eligible, but not all will go.

8. Connecticut Huskies

Offense-6 Multiple

The QB play has been adequate given the past but now under HC Paul Pasqualoni & OC George DeLeone, the QB has to make some plays and that falls to Chandler Whitmer. RB looks to be a strength w/ Lyle McCombs, while if the WR's can not drop passes that could be one also. The O-line dropped off a year ago, and if they dont improve its going to be a long season

Defense-8 4-3 Scheme

DC Don Brown has a scrappy bunch and that's a good thing, as they need this group to carry the team. The D-Line has a few holes, but the LB's are very strong and have a lot of depth. The secondary needs help, but if the front 7 gets pressure it wont be too much of a factor. UConn can stop the run, so expect more teams to pass on them this year again.

Prediction: I see this as a 6-6 team. NC State is the only tough NC game, but road games in CP include Louisville, Rutgers and USF mean a loong season for the Huskies.

7. Cincinnati Bearcats

Offense-4 Spread

When there are a lot of starters back, this is a dangerous team, but not this year. OC Mike Bajakian has a lot of work to do. only having a starter back at O-Line, WR, QB (1 QB starter moved to WR) and no experienced RB. Ouch.

Defense-7 3-4 Scheme

DC John Jancek is no longer sharing duites and is the full time DC. I think this will help having 1 voice, and for this complex scheme, which I feel is bad having Co-Coordinators is needed. D-Line is a depth issue, but LB is better, and the secondary has 3 starters back, but since that is the strength of this team, expect a slight drop off.

Prediction: HC Butch Jones isn't on the hot seat, but this is going to be a tough year. If they finish with more than 7 wins, he's the Big East Coach of the Year.

6. Temple Owls

Offense-3 Spread Option

I know what you may be thinking-WTF am I thinking? Well, since this is an option based offense, you get a lot of reps in practice. QB Chris Coyer is back, & although he struggled at times LY he did keep things going. RB is by committee and WR's are as inexperienced as the O-Line as far as starting goes. However, this isn't an easy offense to read, and I think they can fit in the Big East. They will tweak this offense a bit, but expect it to be fun to watch.

Defense-5 4-3 Scheme

DC Chuck Heater will have to bring some heat to stop the offenses they will see TY, the D-Liine and Secondary are good, but LB is very thin. If this was still a MAC team I would have them in the upper half, but stepping up will be tough for this unit.

Prediction: HC Steve Addazio has done a good job following Al Golden, but this is going to be a tough year. The good news is all tough CP games are home games, the only reason I have them this high.

5. Pittsburgh Panthers

Offense-9 Pro Style

I consider this a wash, since you have had 3 HC's in as many years, which means 3 different styles. OC Bob Bostad is installing the same offense Wisconsin ran a year ago-Pitt ran the spread last season after running the West Coast offense before that. Still, QB Tino Sunseri is back, and this is an experienced group around him, so I don't expect a huge drop.

Defense-5 4-3 scheme

The look is the same but the philosphy on this side is to attack, attack attack. While not many starters are bcak, DC Dave Huxtable will have to blitz a bunch to stop some of the high powered offenses in CP.

Prediction: HC Paul Chryst is at his 1st stop, and I think will do well, 8 wins isn't a stretch. CP has tough games at home, NC only Notre Dame is the toughie.

4. Syracuse Orange

Offense-5 Multiple Pro

All that matters is QB Ryan Nassib is back, and the way he had this group humming last year I think they will be alright. Suspended WR Marcus Sales is back to provide a deep threat, the O-Line needs to replace the right side. Still, I think the Orange surprise a few people

Defense-7 4-3 Scheme

This side was bad a year ago, but experience helps. On the depth chart, 9 starters are upperclassmen, so the Orange aren't lacking in experience. DC Scott Shafer however might be out of a job if the Orange don't improve, but I think you'll see the Orange Crush back here in 2012.

Prediction: I see 7-8 wins. NC play has USC at a neutral site and a late road trip to Missouri; they should handle Minnesota. CP has a tough road schedule, but Louisville is a home game, and that's either the 8th win or the 5th loss.

3. South Florida Bulls

Offense-8 Spread

South Florida has QB BJ Daniels back, and that is almost all you need to know. A good runner and passer (emphasis on passer, dude's got a good arm) he gives DC's fits every night. RB is strong, no surprise on a Skip Holtz coached team, as is the O-Line which has all 5 starters back. WR is also loaded.

Defense-7 4-3

A very good unit, this side has only 2 starters back in the secondary, which I think for now is a weak link. The front 7 is solid, but if injuries occur, expect some shuffling as depth could be an issue.

Prediction: I see 9 wins; Florida St & Miami are the NC; CP has tough games at home, with Louisville on the road. HC Skip Holtz has done very well here.

2. Louisville Cardinals

Offense-7 Spread

OC Shawn Watson shook things up last season. While he didn't quite ditch the spread option, he didn't fully embrace it either. Louisville took a step back here LY but I think now that they have had a full season, will be much better on this side of the ball. QB Teddy Bridgewater is going to get better, RB however may be an issue-not a lot of experience, and the longest run LY was by the punter. The WR's have neccessary experience and the O-Line looks to be tougher.

Defense-8 4-3 Scheme

Lack of D-Line depth crushed the Cards a year ago, but that may be their strength now. The back 7 is also strong, LB may be the deepest position, so watch for some of them to be in on passing situations as DE's in some of their Nickle and Dime sets. DC Vance Bedford has a strong group here, and I think they will do quite well thank you very much.

Prediction: There is talent here to win 10 games. Only North Carolina is the tough NC game. IN CP how they do on the road (Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse) will determine thier season's course.

1. Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Offense-7 Pro Style

WR Brandon Coleman is a freak-he's 6'6 220 and can fly. If they can find a QB, then watch out Big East. At RB its by committee and the O-Line is stronger now after misfiring the last few years. Once they settle on a QB, it will be simple plays, but can you really stop Coleman? I dont think any DB can cover him.

Defense-8 4-3 Scheme

I expect this to be the strength now as it was under former HC Greg Schiano. The D-Line is lacking experience, but the LB's and DB's have a lot of players and depth, which is an issue for the D-Line. If the D-Line doesnt get too banged up, this is going to be one of the top defenses in the Country.

Prediction: NC tough game is at Arkansas-if they win that, 11 wins. More realistic at 10. In CP the only tough road game is South Florida, the others are at home.

#17 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

No time to do ACC, but will post more reviews next week.

#18 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

LSU HC Les Miles has kicked Tyrann Mathieu off the football team today. Reports are he allegedly failed a drug test.

#19 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

2012 ACC Preview

The ACC is about to expand-after many thought there would be contraction. IMO they still need to clean things up division wise-why are Miami and Florida State in different divisions? Pitt and Syracuse are in here next year, so it will be interesting to say the least. After Clemson got lambasted in the Orange Bowl, some wonder if this is a strong conference, especially after Florida St got off to a strong start and weak finish. Virginia Tech also made the BCS last season so I doubt those who say this is a weak conference, but I believe this will be a stronger conference from top to bottom in 2012.

ACC Coastal

6. Duke Blue Devils

Offense-8 Multiple Pro

HC David Cutcliffe has a lot of players back, and that is good. Duke has QB Sean Renfree back at the controls, and an O-Line that should be able to protect him and open up holes for the RB’s. While Duke doesn’t have top speed at WR, they are good route runners & should be able to keep things balanced.

Defense-9 4-3 Scheme

DC Jim Knowles benefits from having to replace only 2 starters, and this is a tough unit. Ask Virginia Tech. Still, the main issue is depth. If Duke can stay relatively injury free, this unit may be able to carry the Blue Devils to surprising bowl eligibility.

Prediction: Only Stanford is the tough NC game, the other 3 are winnable. In CP, they get a break with only Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech being the tough road games. 6 wins are possible-something that hasn’t happened in over 18 years.

4. Miami Hurricanes

Offense-4 Pro Style

There is a QB battle here, b/t Stephen Morris and Memphis transfer Ryan Williams. Morris has the edge, but at 6’6 225 Williams has the more physical tools. I expect Morris to start. RB Mike James leads a talented class, WR’s however lack experience. The O-Line is in good shape, despite losing 2 starters due to graduation. Still, this is a young and inexperienced group that will have to grow up as the season progresses.

Defense-6 4-3 Scheme

This is the bread and butter of the Hurricanes. The D-Line however is the weak link, not a lot of experience and some depth issues could crop up if injuries occur. The LB’s however are in good shape, despite some depth issues and are the heart and soul of the defense. The Secondary had to grow up fast a year ago, but should improve since they have some experience.

Prediction: HC Al Golden may have to deal with NCAA violations in the near future, and that is a casting a shadow over the Canes. Still, the schedule is a toughie. In NC play, Kansas St and Notre Dame highlight that, and in CP tough games are at home. I see a 7-5 team.

4. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Offense-7 Flexbone

Let me clarify something-this is not a spread option offense as many pundits label it. Once those slot backs move out as WR’s then it is a spread option, along with putting the QB in the shotgun. QB Tevin Washington leads the charge, with quality depth behind him. The RB’s are lead by David Sims at FB, and the SB’s are both explosive. WR’s are really for blocking, but Jeff Green and Darren Waller are 6’4 & 6’5 respectively so they have great size if they ever choose to throw to them. The O-Line is young, but has experience.

Defense-6 3-4 Scheme

Only 1 starter is back on the D-Line, and that is a concern. DC Al Groh however should be able to rely on the LB’s and DB’s to carry them through. But for the 3-4 to work, the D-Line needs to occupy space and create double teams. That is the big question-can they do that?

Prediction: NC play is highlighted by BYU & Georgia at the end of the year, in CP the tough games are on the road (Va Tech, Clemson, N Carolina). HC Paul Johnson has done well here, but I feel defenses have figured out how to slow down this offense. 7-5 is my predicted record.

3. Virginia Cavaliers

Offense-7 Spread

QB is an area of strength, and if Bama transfer Phillip Sims is eligible it will only get stronger, but expect Michael Rocco to run the show. RB Perry Jones is back to head a growing stable at that position. The WR’s lost all 3 starters a year ago and have to grow up fast. The O-Line has 3 starters back, and are in good shape, and have strong depth.

Defense-6 4-3 Scheme

Despite having only 5 starters back, I think this will still be a good unit. The D-Line has only 1 starter back, but have some good depth. The LB’s have some good players, even moving 1 of them to DE to increase speed. The question is the secondary-not much back there, and they lack depth. I don’t think it will be a problem, as this is a very scrappy, athletic bunch.

Prediction: HC Mike London has done a damn good job here, and has the Cavs on track to contend. The NC play is tough-TCU on the road, and in CP there are tough road games. But the final game against Virginia Tech could be the difference b/t 8-4 and 9-3.

2. North Carolina Tar Heels

Offense-7 Spread

Returning starters don’t mean much this year as the Tar Heels convert from a Pro style attack to the spread. I expect QB Bryn Renner to be back as the starter. RB is a question mark, but have a strong WR corps and a very good O-Line.

Defense-6 3-3-5 Scheme

Now we get to the heart of the matter. Converting to the 3-3-5 after being a 4-3 team one has to wonder if this will actually be an improvement. UNC has a lot of speed, and this should help accentuate that. The D-Line has some good starters but not a lot of depth. The LB’s will use a hybrid DE/LB to get to the QB, and the DB’s have the most depth on the team.

Prediction: HC Larry Fedora steps in to take over a team on probation, but has a lot of talent. I think the Tar Heels have a bright future, and the right guy to lead them. In NC play, only a tough road test at Louisville is a possible bump. In CP a home showdown with Virginia Tech could decide this division. Talent to be 10-2, but 9-3 looks safe.

1. Virginia Tech Hokies

Offense-3 Pro I Formation

Here is why I am not worried about the Hokies having only 3 starters: QB Logan Thomas is back, they recruit great O-Line players, and RB’s want to come here. WR has some speed, and that should keep the opposition from playing 8 in the box.

Defense-9 4-3 Scheme

I know they look listed as a 3-3-5 scheme, but it is a 4-3 in disguise. DC Bud Foster is one of the best in the business and has this as a Top 10 defense almost every year. Again, solid depth in all 3 defensive levels make this the team to beat-every year.

Prediction: HC Frank Beamer has done wonders here. In NC play, future ACC member Pitt is on the schedule, and a neutral site game against Cincinnati is the highlight. In CP Boston College is the only road test, and they host Florida St on a Thurs Night game. This is a definite 10 win team.

ACC Atlantic

6. Maryland Terrapins
Offense-6 Spread

New OC Mike Locksley takes over for the fired Gary Crowton, and inherits a scrappy bunch. At QB they have CJ Brown projected to start, but lack depth. Only WR has some depth, same with the O-Line. RB has nobody with college experience. Ouch.

Defense-9 3-4 Scheme

The good news is the defense has a lot of players back, and some depth. New DC Brian Stewart comes from the NFL (Texans) to run this unit. While young, they do have some scrappy tendencies to mirror the offense.

Prediction: HC Randy Edsall went 2-10 last season, and not even hideous new uniforms can hide how bad they were a year ago. NC play has toughies on the road-West Virginia and UConn. In CP the tough games are at home. Still it’s going to be a long year, I see maybe 4 wins, and I am being optimistic with that.

5. Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Offense-4 Multiple 1 Back

Not a true spread, despite the look, but this is going to be a tough year for the offense. If QB Tanner Price can stay healthy, his returning presence can keep things going. The O-Line gets an infusion of depth from the D-Line, and WR’s are a question, but the RB depth is solid.

Defense-7 3-4 Scheme

The D-Line is strong at depth, and has 2 starters back, LB’s are solid as well and are the heart and soul of this unit. The DB’s look strong too. Bottom line, this defense MUST carry the Demon Deacons.

Prediction: If the offense had more experience, I could see 8 wins. HC Jim Grobe has won here, but its been a tough few years. Another 6 win season is likely. The NC play gets tough only at the end-at Notre Dame and hosting Vandy. In CP the toughies are evenly divided b/t home and road. They have the scheduling breaks, and if they take advantage of it could be a power once again.

4. NC State Wolfpack

Offense-7 Pro Set

Helmed by 5th yr Sr Mike Glennon, this is a unit that should be able to score. The RB slots are loaded with depth, and the O-Line depth is the most that HC Tom O’Brien has had since his arrival. 3 of their top 4 WR’s are back, so this unit will have to carry the load and outscore the opposition.

Defense-6 4-3 Scheme

DC Mike Archer (former LSU HC) has shared duties with Jon Tenuta, and while I don’t like doing that, it has helped here in some ways. If the D-Line stays healthy I see a good year. The DB’s are all back, but the inexperience on LB could be an Achilles’ Heel to this team.

Prediction: Here’s the good news-only Tennessee in the Chik-fil-A doubleheader is the only tough NC game. In CP, UNC, Clemson, and Miami are on the road. I think 7 wins is a stretch, but it could be done.

3. Boston College Eagles

Offense-10 Multiple

On Offense, BC has been a mess, but seem to have some stability in OC Doug Martin. Only a new center has to be broken in, but this unit should be stronger now that there is some consistency-but remember BC is on its 4th OC in 13 months.

Defense-7 4-3 Scheme

The D-Line and LB’s look solid, but the DB’s have less experience in comparison to the other 2 units. Still, I think this is a good unit and I think will surprise some people. The Eagles have a lot of good athletes on this side of the ball, and could very well have one of the top defenses in the ACC if they can stay healthy

Prediction: HC Frank Spaziani went 4-8 LY, but I think they can flip that record. NC play is highlighted by a road trip to Northwestern and in CP have brutal road games back to back with Georgia Tech and Florida St. Season starts at home against Miami.

2. Clemson Tigers

Offense-7 Spread

Needless to say, the Tigers are loaded. QB Tahj Boyd is back, as is fast WR Sammy Watkins and a very strong O-Line. Andre Ellington highlights the RB corps, but must find a FB in the short yardage situations. With the best dual threat QB in the country, look for this to be the strength of a very talented team.

Defense-7 4-3 Scheme

Here is the weakness-West Virginia hung 70 on these guys at the Orange Bowl, so out is Kevin Steele, in is Brent Venables. While I think they need some time to adjust to the new 4-3 scheme, the future at least looks bright.

Prediction: No team in the ACC has a tougher NC schedule than Clemson-Auburn to start, and South Carolina to finish. In CP Florida St is on the road, and Virginia Tech is at home. This could be a 10 win team, possibly 11 on talent alone. But they will lose at least 1 of those SEC games, and split the tough ACC games. HC Dabo Swinney has his hands full this year.

1. Florida St Seminoles

Offense-8 Multiple

QB EJ Manuel is the 2nd best dual threat QB in the country, and has a solid backup in Clint Treickett so QB isn’t an issue. RB has young talent, and might have to deal with some growing pains. WR is loaded and the young O-Line gets to work with one of the best D-Lines in the country in practice so while inexperienced this will be a tough group.

Defense-9 4-3 Scheme

IMO only LSU has a better D-Line than Florida St, and that is saying a lot. The only question mark though is the DB’s-not too much experience but a wealth of talent. The LB’s are reminiscent of the early 90’s when the Noles had the toughest LB’s around.

Prediction: HC Jimbo Fisher has been able to recruit and bring in great prospects. This is the best team he has had, and while note a National Title contender this year, they will be in the future. USF and Florida highlight the NC schedule while in CP they play Virginia Tech and Miami on the road. I think 10-2 is the record.

ACC Championship Game: Virginia Tech vs Florida St

Projected ACC Champion: Florida St Seminoles

2012 Big XII Preview

Out are Texas A&M and Missouri after Colorado and Nebraska defected the year before. While some, including me, wondered if this conference was dead, in comes West Virginia and TCU and now this conference is alive once more. Is it better? Maybe, I think some teams are still down, but rest assured, the Big XII has a National Title Contender again this year. Read on for the details.

10. Kansas Jayhawks

Offense-7 Multiple Pro Style

It looks like Notre Dame transfer Dayne Crist takes over the reins at QB. The RB’s also seem to have some good depth-but that’s different at WR and the O-Line. The Jayhawks had no trouble finding good WR’s in the past, but have a long way to go here. The O-Line has some of last years starters back-but from a 2-10 team.

Defense-7 4-3 Scheme

The more things change, the more they stay the same. New coach, same scheme look, but DC Dave Campo (former Dallas Cowboys HC) brings an aggressive, attacking defense that is a 180 from the read and react defense the last few years. Only the DB’s look solid, since everyone ran on these guys a year ago.

Prediction: Hiring HC Charlie Weis was a bold move, and shows this isn’t just going to be a basketball school. Former HC Turner Gill was a mistake, but KU had success with Mark Mangino who had a wide open offense. I don’t see Weis abusing players, but I don’t’ see more than 4 wins.

9. Iowa St Cyclones

Offense-7 Multiple

A QB battle emerges here, and the good news is once that spot is settled, there is talent around to help him out. The O-Line has some holes to fill, but that is par for the course. Still, the WR’s all have big play potential and this is a very fast group.

Defense-5 4-3 Scheme

The D-Line is weak, the DB’s are unproven, but the LB’s are solid. That’s this defense in a nutshell. But if the D-Line stays healthy, this could be a surprise unit.

Prediction: NC play is highlighted by a road trip to Iowa. In CP they TCU on the road, Oklahoma and West Virginia at home. A repeat of LY’s 6-7 record is likely.

8. Oklahoma St Cowboys

Offense-4 Spread

LY, QB Brandon Weeden threw to WR Justin Blackmon and put up record numbers. Now, it looks like a freshman will lead the team at QB in Wes Lunt. RB Joseph Randle is back, the O-Line is solid, but the WR’s are not.

Defense-8 4-3 Scheme

DC Bill Young has a strong group back, and this is where they have a lot of talent. Still, this is a defense that gave up 457 yards per game a year ago.

Prediction: HC Mike Gundy felt LY they should have played LSU (Maybe) and would have scored on Bama (Hell no!) for the National Title, but this is his test of how good a coach he really is. Only Arizona is the tough NC game, while in CP they end the season at Oklahoma and Baylor. If they get 6 wins then they are very fortunate.

7. Baylor Bears

Offense-6 Spread

Out is RG3 and that is a big loss. However, HC Art Briles has a few tricks up his sleeve. QB Nick Florence played well in relief LY, and will be supported by Lache (pronounced Lake) Seastrunk who transferred from Oregon at RB. The WR’s and O-Line will be tested this year with a less mobile QB.

Defense-8 4-2-5 Scheme

An interesting look, it is needed to combat the spread offenses they will see this year. The good news is the overall experience back, depth on the D-Line, and you can only get better than the 488 yards per game you gave up a year ago.

Prediction: Baylor still has to outscore you in order to win, and HC Art Briles knows that. However the NC schedule is a joke, but the CP has West Virginia, Texas and Oklahoma on the road. That’s not good, and I see maybe 5-6 wins this season.

6. Texas Tech Red Raiders

Offense-8 Spread

Out is the Air Raid offense and now the Red Raiders are running a true spread offense, as this is year 2. It produced highs (knocking off Oklahoma) and lows (lost the last 6). The O-Line and the RB’s are the concerns of HC Tommy Tuberville and they must do a better job rushing. Now doubts on the passing game-the QB’s and WR’s are very good.

Defense-9 4-3 Scheme

4 DC’s in as many years. That is the telling stat. Tuberville is himself a defensive coach, and he has turned to Art Kaufman to run the show. This was the true weakness as the Red Raiders gave up 39 points a game last season. It will be hard to tell if they improve in 2012.

Prediction: I don’t doubt the offense, but the only the defense. 6-6 is likely.

5. TCU Horned Frogs

Offense-6 Multiple Pro

QB Casey Pachall is back, that’s the good news. So are their top rusher and recievers. The only loss is their former Co-OC to be the HC at Memphis. Co-OC’s Jarrett Anderson and Rusty Burns run this offense now, as they step into Big XII play.

Defense-5 4-2-5 Scheme

This defense has produced, and will still do so. Despite the lack of returning starters, there is a lot of depth-only Oklahoma and Texas have more.

Prediction: I don’t see domination, but one day they will. I think HC Gary Patterson has to show me this can be a team that can compete. Yes they beat Oklahoma in the past, Texas too. But can they do it in the same year? That’s the final 2 games this season. SMU highlights the NC schedule. I think 7 wins is likely-unless they win the last 2 then its 9-3.

4. Kansas St Wildcats

Offense-8 Multiple (Read Option)

QB Collin Klein is back, and the Tim Tebow of the Big XII helms a very dangerous offensive attack. The RB corps is loaded, as is the WR’s. The O-Line has been solid since Bill Snyder came back, and coming off a 10-3 record, expect more big numbers from this group.

Defense-6 4-3 Scheme

The front 7 is in good shape, but the DB’s are starting to round out. This is good news for DC Tom Hayes who takes over the defense this year. This is an athletic, scrappy bunch that played fearlessly a year ago. Expect the same this season.

Prediction: If things go well, 10 wins. However in CP Oklahoma, Texas, and West Virginia are on the schedule. In NC play, they actually play a good Miami Hurricane team. I think 8-4 is realistic.

3. Texas Longhorns
Offense-9 Multiple Pro

QB David Ash has this offense to run, but is being chased by Case McCoy. The top 4 WR’s are back, as is top rusher Malcolm Brown. The O-Line which played poorly a year ago looks to be a bit more stable this season. There are Co-OC’s in Major Applewhite and Bryan Harsin, but it is Harsin that calls the plays.

Defense-6 4-3 Scheme

DC Manny Diaz likes to mix things up a bit. The D-Line and Secondary is good, and loaded with talent. The LB’s however are a question mark, but with all the talent Texas recruits, having Top 10 recruiting classes every year has its strengths. Expect lots of nickel and dime looks to make up for it.

Prediction: HC Mack Brown has built a powerhouse that his predecessors couldn’t do. While he wasn’t in any danger of losing his job, he made the changes needed to get this team back on top. I still think they are young, but with West Virginia joining, and contending against Oklahoma, 3rd place and a 9 win season are here. Ole Miss is the only ‘tough’ NC game, but CP has West Virginia and TCU at home, with Oklahoma at the old Cotton Bowl.

2. West Virginia Mountaineers

Offense-8 Air Raid

Inspired by Hal Mumme and run by Mike Leach, and others, HC Dana Holgersen made his name in the Big XII at Oklahoma St and is back with WVU. QB Geno Smith did very well LY and is back, as are the top 3 WR’s and top rushers. The O-Line may have to get used to bigger and better opponents, but is still a good unit.

Defense-6 3-4 Scheme

More like a 3-3-5 scheme, but this is a unit that flies around. Co-DC’s Joe DeForest and Keith Patterson call the shots. This is a good rush defense-and that will help them in the Big XII.

Prediction: The most telling game a year ago was against LSU. They put up over 500 yds in the air, and had a chance to take a lead in that game. Good news is the NC play is weak, and they split Oklahoma and Texas as home and road games respectively. 10-2 is possible.

1. Oklahoma Sooners

Offense-8 Multiple

QB Landry Jones is the preseason favorite for the Heisman, the leading rusher is back, but the loss of Frank Broyles is huge. Still the depth the Sooners have at that position shouldn’t be any issue and the Sooners should have no trouble moving the football. O-Line is very strong, meaning the opposition will have its hands full.
Defense-7 4-3 Scheme

This is the bread and butter of HC Bob Stoops team. His brother Mike is back to run the defense after being at Arizona the last 8 yrs and will have a highly touted unit to run. There is a lot of experience here, and enough to be a national title contender.

Prediction: NC play is only 1 game you need to know: Oct 27 hosting Notre Dame. If they win, or even lose that game I don’t see it stopping them from being in the hunt for a National Title. Dec 1st is a road game at TCU to end the season and that could be a trap, as could a late road game at West Virginia. Still, 11-1 or 12-0 is my call

Coming next-my final 3: The Big 10, Pac 12 and the SEC

#20 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

No reviews today, but will post the Big 10 and Pac 12 maybe Monday or so. The SEC will be the last, by next Sunday.

Season kicks off Aug 30! Almost here!

Now since I feel it is time, here is my top 10:

1. Alabama
2. USC
3. LSU
4. Florida St
5. Oklahoma
6. Oregon
7. Michigan
8. South Carolina
9. Virginia Tech
10. Georgia

#21 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

2012 Big 10 Preview

I won’t get into the off field issues, but 2 teams can’t go bowling this year, so this is IMO the most wide open BCS conference this season. I am not a fan of the division names (Leaders, Legends) but I was a fan of how competitive this conference was. The top 2 games of the 2011 season featured 3 Big 10 Teams (Michigan vs. Notre Dame & the 1st Michigan St vs. Wisconsin game). So, without further ado, here we go:

Leaders

6. Penn St Nittany Lions

Offense-5 Multiple Pro

New HC Bill O’Brien comes over from the New England Patriots and is installing the same offense he ran with the Patriots in Happy Valley. I expect Matt McGloin to get the start over the more physically gifted but younger QB Paul Jones. Replacing Silas Redd is going to be the issue for the RB’s, and the O-Line is also hurting, but the WR’s are in good shape.

Defense-4 4-3 Scheme

Linebacker U as Penn St has been called has done well in this category for many years. This is the best part of the defense. The D-Line has some depth issues, and the secondary is going to be nearly completely rebuilt.

Prediction: The NCAA hit Penn St hard, so you may have noticed I didn’t name a lot of players, some may have transferred out. The NC schedule is easy-Ohio, Navy, and Temple should be wins; Virginia on the road is a toughie. In CP it’s Illinois, Iowa, Purdue and Nebraska on the road. Good news-no Michigan or Michigan St on the schedule. I think this is a 7-5 team.

5. Ohio St Buckeyes

Offense-6 Spread Option

New HC Urban Meyer is transitioning the Buckeys from a Pro style attack to his spread option package. QB Braxton Miller should be able to handle the transition quite well. At RB it will be by committee, but expect Carlos Hyde to get the bulk of the carries. The WR corps looks strong after growing up fast a year ago. O-Line depth looks good, with 4 Jr’s and 1 Sr starter back.

Defense-9 4-3

Defense will not change-LY’s interim HC Luke Fickell still runs this group, and has a wealth of talent back. The D-Line is strong, and is IMO the best young D-Line in the country. At LB the Buckeyes look solid and bring up the secondary is all 4 players returning. Defense will have to carry this team as the offense is in a state of transition.

Prediction: Not eligible for the title, they can still determine who could win it. NC slate is highlighted by Miami, FL and Cal-both at home. In CP the finale is at Wisconsin and hosting Michigan. Meyer does turn teams around quickly in year 1, so I will predict 9-3 this season.

4. Indiana Hoosiers

Offense-8 Pistol

HC Kevin Wilson has some serious growing pains this year-again. At QB it looks like a true freshman will start in Nathan Sudfield; Tre Roberson and Cameron Coffman are also in the mix. Stephen Houston highlights a surprisingly strong group of RB’s, and the O-Line seems strong. The unclear area is WR, if this group can stay healthy, the Hoosiers might be in quite a few games this season.

Defense-7 4-3 Scheme

Co-DC’s Doug Mallory and Mike Ekefer have their hands full. 3 of their 4 D-Line starters are back, but this was a very bad unit a year ago. At LB they are back to emphasizing speed over size, and hope that it pays off in their rush defense. The secondary should be improved with some JUCO transfers and a wealth of HS signee’s at that position

Prediction: If you go 1-11 like the Hoosiers did a year ago you can only go up. The good news is the NC schedule is a cake walk-Indiana St, UMass and Ball St. They should be 3-0 entering CP, with NC game at Navy sandwiched in between. Can they snap their Big 10 losing streak? If they do it will be on the road-Michigan St, Ohio St, Iowa and Wisconsin are the home games. I think they can win at least 4 games, so it will be an improvement.

3. Illinois Fighting Illini

Offense-7 Spread

Co-OC’s Billy Gonzalez and Chris Beatty will have a talented group to work with in 2012. QB Nathan Scheelhause is back, and that is good news, as is the strong depth at RB. The big questions are at WR and the O-Line, as depth and lack of experience are the key concerns.

Defense-7 Multiple 3 Man Front

I will not call this a 3-4 defense but many times it will look like one. Still, the front 3 is pretty strong. The LB’s are solid, and Star LB Ashante Williams can be a hybrid Safety and LB as well. The secondary is also in great shape depth wise.

Prediction: Going 7-6 a year ago Ron Zook was let go, and the new HC is Tim Beckman who comes over from Toledo. The good news is there is a lot of talent on this team, as Zook did recruit well. The NC slate is a joke-except for a road trip to Arizona St in week 2. After going 2-6 LY in CP, they have only 2 hard road tests-Wisconsin and Michigan. The Illini have the talent to win 10 games, but will settle for being 8-4 in 2012.

2. Purdue Boilermakers

Offense-8 Spread

At QB Caleb TerBush is back for his senior year, and leads an explosive unit. RB Ralph Bolden highlights the RB group, while at WR they have a lot of young talent, and for the 1st time in a while HC Danny Hope feels like this could be the best unit they have ever had once they get some experience. The only problem is the O-Line. If they can stay healthy here, this could be a special season.

Defense-7 4-3 Scheme

This unit overall is getting better, and as last season showed can only get better. The D-Line is one of the most underrated in the conference, and has a lot of size. The LB’s are fast, but light so they may be susceptible to big runs early on, but eventually speed wears down size. The DB’s are a very good bunch too, and have some younger players who could contribute here in a big way in 2012.

Prediction: I think Purdue is the Big 10 breakout team, much like Michigan was a year ago. In NC play, Notre Dame and Marshall are the big game. Michigan and Wisconsin are at home, the only road challenges are Iowa, Ohio St and Illinois. This could very well be a 10 win team, but to be safe I will say 9-3.

1. Wisconsin Badgers

Offense-5 Pro Style

2 big changes here, but 1 is familia. Another ACC transfer is the QB once again-this season its Danny O’Brien from Maryland. The new OC is Matt Canada who has NFL experience, and has RB Montee Ball back-also good news. The top 2 WR’s are back, but while the O-Line is lacking in experience they recruit well at this position so its not too big of a concern.

Defense-6 4-3

The D-Line has 3 starters back, so they are in good shape at this position. 2 of their 3 LB’s are back as well, so again this is a strong group. The DB’s are a question mark, but there is a lot of young depth so there might be some upside with some possible early growing pains.

Prediction: HC Bret Bielema has a very good group here once again. Still, IMO the Big 10 Leaders is one of the weakest divisions in the NCAA, and that is good news for the Badgers. The NC slate has only Oregon St as the toughie, and in CP Nebraska and Purdue are the only road challenges. Easily a 10-2 team, but with a little luck could be 11-1.
Legends

6. Minnesota Golden Gophers

Offense-6 Spread

At QB, MarQuise Gray is back, and that is very good news. His size and athleticism helps open things up, and given the lack of protection from his O-Line a year ago it can come in handy. The good news is this isn’t last year. Fortunately the O-Line is stronger, but will be young. RB figures to be a strong group, headlined by JUCO transfer James Gillum. JUCO’s play a role in the WR corps as well, with 4.4 speedy Isaac Fruechte highlighting that group, and LY’s starter Marcus Jones highlights the returners.

Defense-6 4-3

There is upside, but the Gophers don’t have the D-Line or the secondary to compete in the Big 10. At LB, this is the strength on the team, and in this scheme that isn’t really good. The good news is the young talent that is incoming, but it will be a year or 2 before their impact is felt.

Prediction: HC Jerry Kill had some health issues a year ago, and it was felt on the field. After a very gutsy loss to USC, this team folded after losing to New Mexico St, and went 3-9. I don’t think they will do much better, but 5 wins is a stretch. 4-8 seems likely.

5. Northwestern Wildcats

Offense-5 Spread

At QB, expect Kain Colter to be the starter over Trevor Sieman, but RS Fr Zach Oliver has the size and the tools to be the starter in the future (he’s also from my hometown of BR). RB Mike Trumphy is back, and has a couple of players who can help him in Jordan Perkins and Treyvon Green. The O-Line uses a unique 9 man rotation so even if you don’t start, you have a lot of players with game experience. The WR’s need to stay healthy, and USC transfer Kyle Prater (6’5 215) should draw a lot of double teams.

Defense-5 4-3

Key word: youth. The D-Line is VERY young, and not very experienced. The secondary? You guessed it-young. Only the LB’s seem to have the experience, and as noted before its tough to handle in this scheme.

Prediction: I like HC Pat Fitzgerald, who as a former player was a leader on the 95 Rose Bowl team. NC slate has Syracuse, on the road, Vandy, BC and an easy win over South Dakota. If they can go 2-2 in that stretch, the CP has 2 road games that are easy wins off the bat in Penn St and Minnesota, with Indiana opening CP just before that stretch. After that, ouch. 6-6 is what to expect in Evanston.

4. Iowa Hawkeyes

Offense-6 Pro I Offense

QB James Vandenberg returns to lead the Hawkeye’s offense for his senior year. That’s the good news. The bad? Replacing WR Marvin McNutt, who was the Big 10’s top WR. A true freshman way win the starting RB job-Greg Garmon. The O-Line is like Wisconsin’s, they always have good players here.

Defense-5 4-3 Scheme

The LB’s and DB’s are in good shape depth wise. The DB’s underperformed but that was largely due to inexperienced players, something that changes this year as these guys have a year under their belts. The LB’s are led by James Morris, who should be on the 1st team all Big 10 defense. But the D-Line is a big question-lots of young players here, so how good can they be?

Prediction: HC Kirk Ferentz seems to have his best teams when they aren’t on anyone’s radar like they are this season. Still, they don’t have better talent than the top 3 teams ahead of them. NC slate has only Iowa St as the toughie, and that is at home. Also in CP, no Ohio St on the schedule, and Michigan and Michigan St are on the road. Nebraska comes here. I think this is a solid 8-4 team, but could win 10 if they knock off one of the Michigan schools and Nebraska.

3. Michigan St Spartans

Offense-5 Pro Style

The good news is in the last few years, the Spartans went from being a ground and pound team to a more balanced offense in the last 5 years. At QB Andrew Maxwell could get the nod, but he will face competition from Connor Cook. At RB Le’Veon Bell will be back to pound defenses in the Big 10, Larry Caper adds some depth to the postion as well. The O-Line looks very solid, and is the heart of this unit. WR’s however need to step up, as there really isn’t anyone penciled in as the starters here just yet. Still, Sparty will have to deal with an inexperienced QB and WR’s.

Defense-8 4-3 Scheme

Could the best LB corps in the country be in East Lansing? It’s a safe bet to say yes. The DB’s and a young D-Line highlight this group, which could be one of the best defensive units in the country. DE William Gholston should be an All American as well.

Prediction: I am only concerned about the offense, but the defense will carry HC Mark Dantonio’s team this season. With a strong defense you can win a lot of games in the Big 10, and with an offense that moves the chains a championship, but as I pointed out earlier, that is the problem. This team could win 11 games, they have the talent to do it. Boise St highlights a NC slate that includes Notre Dame, and in CP road tests are Michigan and Wisconsin. Still, they will be in every game they play, and I will go with 9-3 as the record.

2. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Offense-7 Multiple

For many years the option has defined this team, and this hasn’t changed much since Bo Pelini took over as HC. QB Taylor Martinez and I-Back Rex Burkhead are back and make defenses think about the run. The WR’s at Nebraska however are the X-Factor for this team. If they can get open, this offense will be very hard to slow down. The O-Line has nothing more that needs to be said-these guys are always strong historically, and will be strong again this season.

Defense-7 4-3 Scheme

This is a very strong unit overall, no surprise here. But gone is LY’s DC Carl Pelini and in is John Papuchis who has been on staff, but HC Bo Pelini will make the calls. The back 7 is loaded for bear, and is loaded with talent. The D-Line underperformed a year ago but should be up to the more physical style of play in yr 2 of being in the Big 10.

Prediction: I think Nebraska has the talent to win out, but I think they have a couple of issues offensively. In NC play they have Southern Miss on the road and UCLA at home in wks 1& 2. The tough games are at home-Michigan and Wisconsin. But somehow they find ways to lose on the road, and Ohio St, Northwestern, Michigan St and Iowa will not be easy. 9-3 is a safe bet.

1. Michigan Wolverines

Offense-6 Multiple (West Coast meets the Spread)

In case you wanted to know what I named this offense, look above. QB Denard Robinson isn’t a true WC Offense QB ,and once OC Al Borges tinkered with his offense to fit his QB, the Wolverines took off in a big way. The RB’s are highlighted by Fitzgerald Touissant and Thomas Rawls. The WR’s have their top 2 back, so expect big numbers once again from this group. The O-Line has to break in a new C, and that could be an issue early on, but the other 4 spots look good.

Defense-7 4-3 Scheme

Like Illinois, this may look like a 4-3 scheme, but DE Brennen Boyer is really an OLB, and that gives the Wolverines some speed on the front 4 (3). The LB’s are more experienced, and have 2 starters who are sophomores. The DB’s have some depth, and should be able to run with the fast WR’s they will face this season.

Prediction: The good news is you have an explosive offense and a defense that is solid enough to win the conference, which they should and will do. All eyes will be in Arlington on Sept 1st as they play defending National Champion Alabama-and will be in this game for about a quarter and a half. Notre Dame is the other NC toughie. In CP the road tests are Nebraska and Ohio St, but Purdue could trip them up so that is a potential upset. 9-3 is the record.

Big 10 Championship Game: Wisconsin vs Michigan

Projected Big 10 Champion: Michigan Wolverines

2012 Pac 12 Preview

I have and still joked about this conference being the Pac 2 (USC and Oregon). Not much has changed as far as that perception, but teams are starting to get in the process of catching up. Some highlights: Jim Mora takes over at UCLA, and Mike Leach takes the reins at Washington St.

North

6. Washington St Cougars

Offense-7 Air Raid

HC Mike Leach brings over the infamous Hal Mumme Air Raid offense to Pullman, and has a good triggerman in QB Jeff Tuel. The top WR is also back in Marques Wilson, but he needs help. The RB’s are not very big, but have some speed. The O-Line is the weak link, but if they don’t get too banged up, might be able to protect their talented skill players.

Defense-7 3-4 Scheme

The good news is using this scheme will help out when playing teams like the Oregon schools and Cal. The DB’s are also very solid-but only because the front 7 can’t stop the run. DC Mike Breske will have his hands full this season.

Prediction: Washington St doesn’t have the talent to win much this season. In NC play they open at BYU before taking on E. Washington and UNLV and should be 2-1 entering CP. Opening with Colorado in CP they should be 3-1 going into the Oregon game. Their last win could be against Washington so a duplicate 4-8 record is my call.

5. Washington Huskies

Offense-6 Pro Style

Good news is QB Keith Price is back and healthy. Bad news? The RB’s and O-Line are a bit unsettled. The WR’s should be able to make some plays, so outscoring the opposition will be a must if they expect to win.

Defense-7 3-4 Scheme

New DC Justin Wilcox takes over after the Alamo Bowl debacle a year ago which saw the Huskies D allow 67 points in that game. Wilcox shifts to the 3-4 to better utilize the team’s speed, and since they are in a transition expect some struggles early on. The LB’s are a solid group, and the DB’s are highlighted by CB Desmond Trufant.

Prediction: Their 1st 6 games are very tough, maybe the toughest in the country. NC highlight is week 2 against LSU, and I think we name our score in that game. In CP they get USC, Stanford and Oregon early on. I think 5-7 is their record, as they will get pounded early on and be banged up the rest of the year.

4. Stanford Cardinal

Offense-6 I Formation

Gone is Andrew Luck, off to Indy and lots of future NFL cash. Replacing him is going to be a challenge. RB’s seem solid, as does the O-Line. The WR’s IMO were not that great a season ago, and aren’t striking fear in me-yet. Despite the questions, there is some good talent and they have a good HC in David Shaw and OC Pep Hamilton should have them ready to roll.

Defense-7 3-4 Scheme

Derek Mason is no longer sharing duties as DC so expect a more unified approach to the D. The front 3 are all under 300 lbs. but are very quick, and strong. The LB’s are very solid too, but the DB’s could be a concern. Still, this unit has to carry the Cardinal, and that is a tough challenge.

Prediction: Andrew Luck was this team a year ago. Now it’s back to Realville. In NC play, only Notre Dame is the toughie. 5 road games in CP will also be tough to overcome. 6-6 is reasonable.

3. California Golden Bears

Offense-6 Multiple Pro

QB Zach Maynard has some competition, but should still be starting in week 1. RB Isi Sofele is also back, so the Pac 12’s most explosive backfield is back intact. The O-Line is a young, but scrappy group that should protect the QB and open up holes in the running game. The WR’s should be very good as well led by Keenan Allen who was the leading WR a year ago, but someone else needs to step up.

Defense-5 3-4 Scheme

If you play in the Pac 12 North, this is the scheme to use b/c you need to stop Oregon. But Cal won’t be able to-the front 7 is a big question mark, but the secondary seems to be the strong point. DC Clancy Pendergast has a long year ahead of him.

Prediction: To win, Cal will have to win shootouts, and that will be the case again in 2012. HC Jeff Tedford has done well, but ever since being ranked #2 in the middle of the 2007 Cal nearly disappeared from the college football landscape. Making things tougher is Cal plays 12 straight weeks-Sept 1st thru Nov 17. NC play is highlighted by a road trip to Ohio St. In CP, Utah, USC and Oregon St are the road tests. I think 7-5 is once again the record.

2. Oregon St Beavers

Offense-8 Spread

This is a very young unit and it’s led by QB Sean Mannion. If the O-Line remains healthy Mannion can get time to find the open WR’s and open holes for a stocked RB corps. Health is an issue for a young group of WR’s as well.

Defense-8 4-3 Scheme

Good news-8 starters are back which means not to many holes to fill. The front and back 4 look to be solid, but the LB’s have to stay healthy for this to be considered a stout unit. If the D-Line can get some pressure, OSU could really have a special year.

Prediction: In NC play, Wisconsin and BYU headline a tough slate. In CP the good news is no USC and Oregon is at home at the end of the season. After a 3-9 record, HC Mike Riley has to feel good about this season, 5 conference home games can make a difference, and this team could possibly win 8 games due to that.

1. Oregon Ducks

Offense-5 Spread

Marcus Mariota won the QB job, and was hyped by ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit as a player to watch. In the backfield, De’Anthony Thomas and Kenjon Barner are back, and the run game which is the heart of this offense is what beats you. The O-Line has some solid players, and the WR’s are always fast.

Defense-6 4-3

This is the height of the projected starters in the front 4: 6’8’ 6’4, 6’6 and 6’7. That makes it tough to throw over them, but easier to block, as USC and LSU did successfully against this group a year ago. The LB’s and DB’s have a lot of talent, as the Ducks do a good job recruiting.

Prediction: Oregon has a lot of speed, and HC Chip Kelly uses that as his basis for recruiting. Better news is no LSU or Boise St to start the season, just Arkansas St. The NC slate is easy, so no challenge there. In CP the big game is Nov 3rd at USC, which one way or another is their only loss on the season. 11-1 is my call here.

South

6. Colorado Buffaloes

Offense-3 Multiple

OC Eric Bieniemy will have his hands full this season. QB is a wide open race, but it looks like Connor Wood wins that battle. RB’s are undecided as their leading rusher from LY is gone. The top 5 WR’s are gone as well from LY. At least the O-Line is somewhat stable, but don’t expect any miracles this season. I’m not saying this is an untalented group, but one filled with growing pains.

Defense-6 3-4 Scheme

Youth is key on this side too, but there is more experience on this side of the ball. The back 8 is surprisingly solid, and the front 3 is young. This group will have to carry the Buffs this season.

Prediction: I like HC Jon Embree, and it’s always good to see a former player come back and coach is school. But there is a lot of work to do getting the Buffs to be the team they were in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Will the fans be patient? That is the big question. NC slate is tough with Colorado St and Fresno St. In CP the tough games are on the road (at Oregon and USC), so no favors there. 4-8 is my call.

5. Arizona St Sun Devils

Offense-4 Pro Style

Gone is Brock Osweiler who is now Peyton Manning’s backup in Denver. The QB battle is one to watch, as that is a wide open race. RB Cameron Marshall highlights a loaded group at that position, while the O-Line and WR’s could be a step down learning a new system.

Defense-4 3-3-5 Scheme

Strange to see this scheme played at this level, but with the talent here it might fit them well in 2012. The D-Line has guys that can occupy some space and has some JUCO help. The back 8 are equally optimistic about their season, and have a lot of depth.

Prediction: HC Todd Graham is at a better job than Pitt, but is facing an uphill battle. The Sun Devils have some good defensive players, but the offense is untested and inexperienced. The NC slate has Illinois and Missouri, and they might not split those 2. In CP they have 5 road games but keep an eye on their Oct 18th game hosting Oregon on a Thursday night. 6-6 is my call here.

4. UCLA Bruins

Offense-7 Multiple 1 Back Set

OC Noel Mazzone is back in the Pac 12 and is charged with getting the Bruins offense to score lots of points. QB Kevin Prince is back, as is RB Jonathan Franklin. WR’s need someone to step up, and the O-Line seems solid, but lacks depth.

Defense-9 3-4 Scheme

Switching to the 3-4 from the 4-3 this is the real big change for the Bruins. When teams make this type of transition they struggle in the beginning but get settled mid way if there are no major injuries. The zone style defense should aid a secondary that struggled in man coverage, and the LB’s have the size to play in the scheme.

Prediction: New HC Jim Mora was a splash hire just as Pete Carroll was at USC a while back. The NC slate has them opening the season at Rice, followed by hosting Nebraska and Houston. In CP no Oregon on the schedule, so that’s a relief. Still, this is a 6-6 team at best.

3. Arizona Wildcats

Offense-6 Spread

HC Rich Rodriguez is trying to break out the Wildcats from a pro style attack to his up-tempo spread offense. It looks like there is a battle at QB b/t Matt Scott and Tyler D’Amore, and whoever wins that battle will have some talented RB’s and an improved O-Line to help put. The WR’s are pretty wide open as the top 5 from LY are gone.

Defense-6 3-3-5

Again a transition on defense, the 3-3-5 is being implemented here as well. The front 3 and back 5 seem to be solid, but LB is a little thin.

Prediction: The NC slate has only Oklahoma St as the toughie. In CP they have 5 home games, but have to travel to Oregon, and Utah. I am not expectin much out of Rich Rodriguez, but they are slightly better than their in state rivals, and UCLA. 6-6 is my call.

2. Utah Utes

Offense-9 Spread Option

QB Jordan Wynn, RB John White and the top 5 WR’s are back. That is great news. The O-Line has more depth and bigger bodies. Better news. The new OC is former QB Brian Johnson who led the Utes to a win in the 2009 Sugar Bowl over Alabama, so it will be a back to the future type feel to the Utes who ran a pro style pistol offense under Norm Chow.

Defense-7 4-3 Scheme

The front 4 has no question marks, this is a very solid unit, but the back 7 is a different story. The LB’s are thin depth wise, and the DB’s are very young.

Prediction: LY Utah went 8-5 and did it very quietly. That is good for them as they still feel disrespected by the other Pac 12 teams. Only BYU is a NC challenge, while in CP they get USC at home on a Thursday night. Despite 5 road games, this could be a special year in Utah. 9-3 is my prediction.

1. USC Trojans

Offense-9 Pro Style

QB Matt Barkley is back, and that is almost all you need to know. At RB Penn St transfer Silas Redd is the only member on this corps that has major college experience. At WR Robert Woods and Marquise Lee make an effective 1-2 punch and the O-Line is always strong, and closely resembles an SEC team.

Defense-7 4-3 Scheme

The front 4 is one of the best in the country, so that is no surprise. The LB’s and DB’s are very solid too. The reason why is USC always recruits good defensive players, and they keep on rolling on this side. Next to Alabama and LSU, this is one of the top defenses in all of college football.

Prediction: NC play is highlighted by Notre Dame at the end of the regular season, but Hawaii and Syracuse in the beginning. In CP, potential upset at Utah, and the big Nov 3rd showdown hosting Oregon can define their season. The winner of this conference will play in Miami, and I predict USC one way or another to be 11-1.

Pac 12 Championship Game: Oregon hosting USC

Projected Pac 12 Champion: USC Trojans

2012 SEC Preview

Welcome to the SEC Texas A&M and Missouri! You are now in the elite conference in college football, and with 6 straight national titles that cannot be disputed. The runner up in the SEC West won the National Championship over the SEC Champions. How hard is it to win here? Very much, but if you win this conference you are playing for a national title, and you can take that to the bank.

East

7. Kentucky Wildcats

Offense-6 Spread

At QB it’s a 2 way battle with Maxwell Smith and Morgan Newton. RB is wide open, as is the WR battle. The O-Line is not too rough, so that is welcome news.

Defense-5 4-3 Scheme

The good news is the front 4 is an aggressive, tough unit. The bad? The LB’s are a thin group depth wise and the DB’s are led by Martavius Neloms who anchors that unit.

Prediction: It’s no surprise that HC Joker Phillips is perceived as being on the hot seat, going 11-14 in 2 seasons and having about 10,000 fewer season ticket renewals. The NC slate is highlighted by Louisville in the beginning of the year, but watch out for Western Kentucky as well. In CP No LSU or Bama, but have to go to Arkansas, Florida and Tennesse on the road. Ouch. If they get to 4 wins I’ll be shocked, but I think a new HC is here in 2013.

6. Vanderbilt Commodores

Offense-8 Pro Style

On offense the undisputed triggerman is Jordan Rodgers, but the QB position has some depth with former Wyoming QB Austyn Carta-Samuels and Patton Robinette in the mix. Better news is RB Warren Norman is back and should be healthy after missing all of LY. Zac Stacy did well replacing him LY. Dropped passes were the norm for a young WR LY but now inexperience isn’t an excuse. Only the O-Line is a question mark.

Defense-7 4-3

Vandy has had a tough Defense and LY was no exception. The secondary is the only concern.

Prediction: HC James Franklin is the 1st Vandy coach to take a team to a bowl game in his 1st season on the history of this school. LY they had the surprise factor on their side, not so much this season. NC slate has road tests at Northwestern and Wake Forest at the end of the season. In CP they have home games with Auburn, Florida and Tennessee. They host S. Carolina on Aug 30th, and if they pull that upset, I could see Vandy at 7-5, but 6-6 is more likely.

5. Tennessee Volunteers

Offense-9 Pro Style

WR Da’Rick Rogers is no longer on the team, but at least Justin Hunter is back. So is QB Tyler Bray, and that is good news too. The RB situation seems bright, but can the O-Line protect the QB and open up the running game is the big question.

Defense-9 3-4 Scheme

DC Sal Sunseri takes over a defense that played poorly a year ago. The good news is the front 3 is stronger than a year ago, and has a lot of depth in the back 8.

Prediction: HC Derek Dooley is on the hot seat, no surprise after going 5-7 a year ago. In NC play there is NC State on Fri Aug 31st with NC State. In CP they get Florida and Bama at home, Georgia and S. Carolina on the road. I think the Vols find a way to get to 7 wins, and go bowling.

4. Missouri Tigers

Offense-6 Spread

QB James Franklin (no relation to Vandy’s HC) is back after a shoulder injury, and that is welcome news. RB is by committee and is headlined by scat back Kendial Lawrence. The O-Line will struggle against the top tier SEC defenses, and the WR’s have 3 of their top 5 back from LY.

Defense-6 4-3 Scheme

The D-Line will have a wakeup call now they are in the SEC, and is a good unit. The big question is can the back 7 hang with the SEC?

Prediction: HC Gary Pinkell has done well against Oklahoma and Texas, but this is a different animal. The SEC East is wide open, and if Franklin stays healthy don’t be surprised if they are in the mix in November. NC play opens against Southeastern, and Arizona St in week 3. In CP they host Georgia in week 2 and that is the indicator of how well they will do. Alabama is Oct 13 at home, while S. Carolina, Florida, Tennessee and Texas A&M are the road foes. I think 8 wins are possible in year 1 of the SEC for the newest Tigers.

3. Florida Gators

Offense-7 Pro Style

QB will be Jacoby Brisset, who just won the battle for that spot. Jeff Driskell will back him up. At RB Mike Gillislee will get the bulk of the carries, while at WR Jordan Reed and Andre Debose make a talented duo. The Gators’ O-Line should be more productive than they were a year ago, but are very young. New OC is Brett Pease who was the OC at Boise St LY.

Defense-10 4-3

Technically it’s a 3-4 scheme, but they line in a lot of 4 man fronts and stand up one of the DE’s. The front 4 is very talented, as is this whole defense. The inexperience of a year ago is translated into a lot of depth his season. The LB’s and DB’s are just as good as any of the other top defenses in the SEC.

Prediction: While vastly improved on paper, HC Will Muschamp knows that 7-6 is not acceptable, and his players echo those statements. Still, despite the changes to the staff and the hype about the players, I am not sure I am willing to buy Florida-on paper. In NC play only UL-Lafayette is a challenge. In CP they host LSU, and could possibly pull an upset there, and also host S. Carolina. Road tests are Texas A&M and Tennessee which could both be losses. I’m not buying the hype on Florida-for now. I think they go 8-4.

2. South Carolina Gamecocks

Offense-6 Multiple

Gone is the Steve Spurrier fun ‘n gun offense and in is a multiple formation read option offense. Connor Shaw is the QB, and all you need to know there is RB Marcus Lattimore is back and healthy. The O-Line has a lot of experience and quality depth, but WR’s are a drop off after losing Alshon Jeffery to the NFL.

Defense-5 4-3 Scheme

The front 7 is very strong and has a lot of depth. The DB’s however are a concern, as they lack depth there. DC Lorenzo Ward takes over and has been on the staff for a while so he knows the players and the scheme isn’t changing much.

Prediction: The pick of many to make it to Atlanta, I am not in that number. I do not buy Connor Shaw as a quality SEC QB, but he does have a running game and a solid defense to back him up. The NC slate is highlighted by Clemson at season’s end. In CP LSU, and Florida are road tests and the big home game is Georgia on Oct 6th. I see 9-3 as their overall record.

1. Georgia Bulldogs

Offense-7 Multiple

QB Aaron Murray is back, and the Bulldogs look to build on the surprising success they had a year ago. The WR’s have 5 of the top 6 back from LY, but RB could be a problem as Isiah Crowell was kicked off the team recently and until they find one UGA will struggle. The O-Line however can open up holes so they should be able to run once they find a starter.

Defense-9 3-4 Scheme

DC Todd Grantham 180’d this unit a year ago and now have a very bright future. After growing up fast a year ago, this is a more experienced defense, and one of the most talented in the country.

Prediction: Once again, Georgia catches some breaks. In CP no LSU, Bama or Arkansas on the schedule. Tough road test in wk 2 at Missouri and in Oct at S. Carolina. The NC slate is highlighted by Georgia Tech at the end. I think 10-2 is their record.

West

7. Ole Miss Rebels

Offense-8 Multiple

The Rebels have a lot of work to do to be considered good. QB is an open battle, the best player is RB Jeff Scott. WR’s and O-Line are big question marks.

Defense-8 4-3

The DB’s seem to have the depth, but the front 7 is a mess. The less I say the better, this is just not a good team. Period.

Prediction: Hugh Freeze replaces Houston Nutt as HC, and has a lot of work to do. Ole Miss has a huge NC game-hosting Texas. In CP, they have LSU, Georgia & Arkansas on the road. If they win 3 games I will be shocked.

6. Texas A&M Aggies

Offense-7 Air Raid

HC Kevin Sumlin brings a wide open offense to College Station, and the big ? now is finding a QB. The WR’s are in good shape, and the O-line has a lot of depth, but the RB’s will be an Achilles heel, as will the QB position early on this season.

Defense-6 4-3

Switching from the 3-4 will be a big shock to the system, but by the time mid season rolls around it won’t be. The LB’s are very light, but the DB’s are in good shape. The front 4 is going to get pushed around, but has some upside.

Prediction: NC play is highlighted by former SWC rival SMU, and a potential upset at Shreveport playing La. Tech. In CP they have an open date before hosting LSU, but have tough road games at Bama, and Mississippi St. It will be a rough debut year for the school and HC, but this will be a contender in a couple of years. I think 5-7 is safe.

5. Mississippi St Bulldogs

Offense-5 Spread Option

The big players are back-QB Tyler Russell, WR Chad Bumphis and RB LaDarius Perkins are all back. The O-Line is in good shape, but the role players at RB and WR need to step up as there isn’t much around the starters.

Defense-7 4-3 Scheme

The front 4 has some depth, the LB’s should be much better but the DB’s are going to be challenged.

Prediction: MSU has failed to deliver on high expectations, and this is no different. The Bulldogs are not as good as they were 2 yrs ago when they blasted Michigan in a bowl game. HC Dan Mullin has had chances to bolt for better jobs but has chosen to stay here. The only western team he has beaten is Ole Miss, and that isn’t impressive. NC play is nothing, while in CP they get LSU, and Bama on the road; Arkansas, A&M and Tennessee at home. I think 7-5 tops.

4. Auburn Tigers

Offense-6 Multiple

Kiehl Frazier has won the QB job, the top 6 of 7 WR’s from LY are back. The O-Line is not experienced as a unit, but has some good players. RB will be by committee, but is also very young.

Defense-9 4-3

Auburn’s D last season didn’t play well, and in the Title year in 2010 didn’t have a great defense either. They are recruiting better here, and will be a talented group. It will still be a bend-but-don’t-break defense.

Prediction: HC Gene Chizik doesn’t have a player like Cam Newton running the show, but Frazier is a good athletic QB. I don’t think too much of Auburn’s talent but somehow this team won 8 games LY, and could do so again. In NC play they have Clemson on Sept 1st in Atlanta, and host LSU and Arkansas while Bama, is the road test. I think Auburn could pull 8 wins out of their hat, 9 if they can knock off Bama or Georgia.

3. Arkansas Razorbacks

Offense-7 Multiple Pro

QB Tyler Wilson is back, as is RB Knile Davis and Dennis Johnson. The O-Line is in transition, but still a solid group. WR however is a big drop off-but the returners have game experience.

Defense-6 4-3 Scheme

The defense was the Achilles heel for the Hogs a year ago. They had LSU down 14-0 but couldn’t stop their rushing attack. The front 4 is decent but the LB’s and DB’s are down a notch.

Prediction: Bobby Petrino is gone and John L. Smith is here on an Interim basis and is auditioning for the HC position. The only notable NC game is Rutgers. In CP they have Carolina, A&M, and MSU on the road and host Bama and LSU at the end. I think w/o Petrino this team goes down a notch, 8 or 9 wins at best.

2. Alabama Crimson Tide

Offense-6 Pro Style

QB AJ McCarron is back, and has a strong O-Line to protect him. RB seems to have Eddie Lacy replacing Trent Richardson. WR’s have a couple of promising players-highlighted by Duron Carter (NFL Legend Cris Carter’s son). New OC is Doug Nussmeier who replaces Jim McElwain who took the Colorado St job.

Defense-5 3-4 Scheme

One thing you need to know, despite the loss of talent, Bama is still loaded on this side of the ball. The front 3 is pretty stout, and the top inside LB’s are intact. The DB’s are solid, but lack starting experience.

Prediction: Nobody should doubt that Nick Saban believes he can’t win another National Championship this season. In NC play, it kicks off fast playing Michigan in Cowboys Stadium in week 1. In CP the big game is Nov 3 and a rematch with LSU in Death Valley, where Bama has a good record. I see their record as 11-1.

1. LSU Tigers

Offense-7 Pro I

There is a new QB in town as Zach Mettenberger takes the reins, and he has a great O-Line and a stable of RB’s to hand off to. The WR’s are led by Odell Beckham, with Russell Shepard looking to make an impact.

Defense-6 4-3 Scheme

Despite losing the Honey Badger, the new DBU should be fine. The D-Line is in very good shape as well. The only concern is at LB-who will step up?

Prediction: I am not going to say Mettenberger will win the Heisman, but he is a better QB than what we had a year ago. Penn St transfer Rob Bolden will help the offense when Zach is out of the game. Les Miles has lost some fan confidence after the debacle on Jan 9th, but has another talented team once again. In NC play there is no Oregon or West Virginia on the schedule, just Washington in wk 2 who we should blast out of Death Valley. In CP road tests come early with Auburn, Florida, and A&M with Arkansas the day after Thanksgiving. It all boils down to Nov 3rd and I believe LSU will be triumphant once again, but could slip up 1 of the road games, so I will say 11-1 is the record.

SEC Championship Game: Georgia vs LSU

Projected SEC Champions: LSU Tigers

#22 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:18 AM

Sad news:

By now many of you have heard about Tulane Safety Devon Walker who was in a head-to-head collision with a teammate while making a tackle. Walker suffered sever neck and spinal cord injuries, the full extent are not known at this time. For those of you who would like to donate to help him out, Tulane's website has all the info, tulane.edu just click on the support for Devon Walker tab. Please keep him and his family in your prayers, as well as his teammates.

#23 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

Florida is going to kill us. LSU has really taken a step back offensively, we dont have a left tackle, or a right one for that matter. Looking for a bookie.

#24 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

1st BCS Poll to be released today, here is my projected top 5:

1. Alabama
2. Notre Dame
3. Oregon
4. Florida
5. LSU

#25 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

Actual BCS Top 5:

1. Alabama
2. Florida
3. Oregon
4. Kansas St
5. Notre Dame

#26 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

Who called Notre Dame being in the BCS? Me. Who called Duke getting 6 wins? Me. Now if only I'd put money down on that, damn!

#27 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

I'm thinking Oklahoma takes down Notre Dame for their first loss of the season. As for my Alma mater (Toledo) goes i'm glad the Rockets are doing so well. 7-1, defeated a undefeated and ranked team, ranked #26 in the AP poll and has a shot at the MAC championship which will probably be determined November 14th vs. Northern Illinois.

#28 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

My Aztecs are doing okay this year; 5-3 overall. I don't go to the games, but great win against Nevada in OT last week. Now time for another conference game against UNLV on Saturday.

#29 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

With LSU having an open date, I am going to see my brother play this weekend in Mississippi, been a couple times the last few years, have had fun seeing him play. Division 3 ball is fun to watch. Players playing for true love of the game.

#30 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

Who called Notre Dame being in the BCS? Me. Who called Duke getting 6 wins? Me. Now if only I'd put money down on that, damn!

Well, i was looking over your season preview that you posted and while you did get those predictions correctly it also looks like you severely overrated Auburn, Missouri and Purdue while underrating Florida, Texas A&M, Oregon St. and Northwestern. Mistaking the MAC teams as easy wins were also a mistake. ;)