This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Craig on Skyfall - The one liners are back.

99 replies to this topic

#91 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Well, apart from Tracy´s murder none has impacted Bond so severely that he was in a dire mood afterwards. Even after Vesper´s tragic suicide he calls her a bitch. And Paris was not Bond´s love of his life. So...

#92 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

Well, apart from Tracy´s murder none has impacted Bond so severely that he was in a dire mood afterwards. Even after Vesper´s tragic suicide he calls her a bitch. And Paris was not Bond´s love of his life. So...

Him calling Vesper a “bitch” is much more complexly motivated than that – he was putting his armour back on, regretting exposing his heart, trying to deal with grief he felt he shouldn’t be feeling for someone who had betrayed him.

The stuff after Paris's death, is simply the next sketch in the James Bond Sketch Show school of acting/film making. That is, not connected as part of a well constructed performance or story. I’m not talking about Bond showing sustained grief, but this sould have been a moment for a more serious battle to escape, that Bond took seriously. I'm glad the days of a series of Bond sketches shoved together without much of a thought through arch are gone.

#93 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

I see what you mean - but I still disagree. And between Paris´ death and the car chase is the Doctor Kaufmann-scene (if I remember correctly). IMO, Bond is avenging Paris by shooting Kaufman. And during the escape from Carver´s thugs he does what Bond always does best: having fun putting anything he can get to use against the villains. So, his fun IMO is well earned.

#94 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

I see what you mean - but I still disagree. And between Paris´ death and the car chase is the Doctor Kaufmann-scene (if I remember correctly). IMO, Bond is avenging Paris by shooting Kaufman. And during the escape from Carver´s thugs he does what Bond always does best: having fun putting anything he can get to use against the villains. So, his fun IMO is well earned.

I vastly prefer the way Roger is in the action sequences that follow on in the immediate aftermath of the Countess’ death in FYEO (again not the love of his life, but..) Roger-Bond excels himself here (and the film is at its best too). The sequence on Colombo's boat and the battle in Albania, everything up to the Merc going over the cliff, is given more urgency and taken very seriously.
You might say, 'well, that’s when he finally avenges the Countess'. That’s true, but it’s a better construct for it being sustained over a decent portion of the film. Less of a fragmented sketch show.

#95 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

You´re right. I prefer that, too.

#96 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

But we ALL know we're going to get some sort of 'close shave' pun during the scene where Eve takes a razor to Bond's beard. I for one can't wait.

Edited by PPK_19, 12 June 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#97 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I think Skyfall should have more humour. I’m looking forward to Craig’s Bond having more fun being Bond. It’s time for that now. I’m just against inappropriate rubbish.

Humour on a level with the stuff in Goldfinger and Thunderball is more than fine with me.

#98 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

I prefer those, too. So, Craig should turn it on a bit more but not too much.

#99 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

But we ALL know we're going to get some sort of 'close shave' pun during the scene where Eve takes a razor to Bond's beard. I for one can't wait.

Surely a team of professional writers can come up with a shaving-related pun that hasn't already been used in a Bond film. Perhaps something about "the best a man can get", or a double entendre about "cream".

#100 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

Surely a team of professional writers can come up with a shaving-related pun that hasn't already been used in a Bond film. Perhaps something about "the best a man can get", or a double entendre about "cream".

Why not 'Stay still! That's the first time I shave someone else!'