117 replies to this topic

#31 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

"We're been through this Balance Sheet a hundred times. Wages and expenses are cut to a minimum. Running costs slashed to the bone. There just aren't any more savings we can make. The global financial meltdown's just killing us."

"But we MUST get this film made. So many people's very happiness - the purpose of them living - depends on it."

"We need extra revenue from somewhere! Whatever it takes!"

"There's only one thing for it. Get Dan. Whether he likes it or not, he's gonna have to hawk Heineken"

#32 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Better than drinking it, I suspect.

Serious-ish question - I wonder where they would draw the line? If, let's say, Huntingdon Life Sciences or some other bunny-mashing unit offered $10 million, would that be rejected?

#33 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

At 10 millions...

Hey, it all gets put back on the screen!

#34 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

"We're been through this Balance Sheet a hundred times. Wages and expenses are cut to a minimum. Running costs slashed to the bone. There just aren't any more savings we can make. The global financial meltdown's just killing us."

"But we MUST get this film made. So many people's very happiness - the purpose of them living - depends on it."

"There's only one thing for it. Get Dan. Whether he likes it or not, he's gonna have to hawk Heineken"

Exactly what i mean - some here ACT, as if their life depends on it. Where it different, some people maybe could relax a bit.
Seems your purpose of being here is to be negative. I wonder why that is and if that just your nature or if you really don't see anything positive.

#35 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

Better than drinking it, I suspect.

Serious-ish question - I wonder where they would draw the line? If, let's say, Huntingdon Life Sciences or some other bunny-mashing unit offered $10 million, would that be rejected?

Well, I guess it depends how you value the welfare of Mr Floppsy Bunny against the mental health of some of the more, er - dependent? - Bond fans.

#36 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

If Bond did have a thing for beer, I wonder what he would drink? I'd guess at some random Yorkshire ale - or something from a small Bavarian brewery that has triple distilled vodka added to it (40% proof) (or better still - Czech brewery, the wrong side of the rusty old curtain).

Or would he just drink it as light refreshment in the heat, wanting something light and watery that quenches the thirst, like a Fosters or a Heineken?

Anyway, product placement is nothing new. As long as they do it right, I don't care what they hawk. Ford in CR was a bit too noticeable to me (the whole Bahamas sequence -> drive up in your rented Mondeo, lingering car ad shots and all that, and park in a car park full of various Ford produce - at the time including Jaguar Landrover. But, no doubt most people won't have noticed. The shaving scene in DAD was another one - even though clearly he did need a shave. On the flip side I think the watches have always worked well (bar that one QOS poster with the watch gratuitously over the shirt cuff - but that was a poster).

#37 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

Exactly what i mean - some here ACT, as if their life depends on it. Where it different, some people maybe could relax a bit.
Seems your purpose of being here is to be negative. I wonder why that is and if that just your nature or if you really don't see anything positive.

At times it may indeed seem a little out of proportion, this whole it's-so-bad-this-it's-crap-from-the-start-that game. Maybe even a bit juvenile and stubborn-ish. But you have to understand many here have been burnt more than once, and more serious than you seem to be able to imagine. Add to that a certain degree of dislike for Eon's ways and decisions and this is what you get.

Nonetheless there is far from a negative air about SKYFALL around here. From what I have observed here the consensus seems to be still guardedly optimistic overall.

You ought to realize it's simply not realistic to ask for unanimous positivity. The fanbase today consists of five decades of fans comming from all walks of life and carrying their own ideas and opinions about Bond along with them. And each of them is welcome to voice his or her opinions, as long as a minimum of decorum and taste are applied while doing so.

I suppose your concern is the way SKYFALL will be received by the audience and what possible damage negative opinions on the net might or might not have on the success of the film. Rest assured, the audience, whether we praise or curse the film, the audience won't care either way.

#38 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Dustin, for a friendly answer, trying to explain the whole thing. I can understand concerns, but I cannot understand that - when you have the choice to choose between positive and negative (because we don't KNOW whether or not many of the topics discussed will turn out good or bad) the voicing seems to go towards the negative, when the "facts" we have could be seen as a hopeful sign.

Like: We want a more classic Bond
We get the classic Bond car
"Oh no, this is sooo outdated and only rockstars drive something like that"

Like: We want a Bond film being made after years of fear, there won't be one.
We get one with an amazing cast and crew.
They have the nerve to fill their moneyholes with product placement.
"Oh my god, this is so wrong and Heiniken above all"

I could go on and in my mind, THIS is sad and abolutely contra productive to have fun whilst "watching" this film being made.

And no, I don't think, the boards have any impact on how the general audience will perceive the film or any film...

#39 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Ah, it´s the old internet bitching. Doesn´t matter. It´s like "The Simpsons"´ Comic Book Guy who complains about the new Star Dreck film saying how terrible it is and that he will watch the film only two more times. A day.

#40 BourneAgainBond

BourneAgainBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

comic book guy lol

isn't the point of a forum for those of use who aren't movie critics to share our own thoughts and criticisms?

#41 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Certainly. This particular case draws such exceptional interest because
a) it's announced so prominently, and
B) it's arguably one of the more debatable decisions, and
c) it indicates - perhaps entirely wrongly and/or coincidentally - a direct impact on a supposedly significantly cut budget.

The first two are indeed just that, a PR campaign that helps to get the film off the ground, with all involved happy to make a profitable deal for both sides. The third point is much harder - perhaps impossible - for outsiders to judge and esteem.

We've heard a number of rumours about difficulties to get the ship sailing. Furthermore a few locales fell through, so that it now looks as if SF will maybe not be a jetsetting Bond the way earlier entries used to be. There is of course a certain concern for the amount of product placement and the respective brands that will show up on the screen.

My own thoughts on this are undecided. I can be a remarkably selective viewer completely ignorant of things that I deem unimportant or only of minor consequence. If the film's just captivating enough I can and will forgive a lot.

Edited by Dustin, 15 February 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#42 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

Brewed, Not Stirred: Heineken Plans Major Integration With New Bond Flick

Heineken USA will rely on James Bond to help push its flagship brand this year, while launching new campaigns for Newcastle Brown Ale and Amstel Light and introducing a Mexican brand called Indio in the states. And in an unusual move, the importer will run Spanish-language TV ads for Tecate on English-language channels, using subtitles to translate.

The Bond campaign will coincide with the fall release of "Skyfall," the latest installment in the long-running movie franchise. Bond, played by Daniel Craig, will star in a Heineken ad. The spot, which will run globally, is by brand agency-of-record Wieden & Kennedy, Amsterdam, and directed by Sam Mendes, director of the film. In the movie, Bond will swap his trademark martini for a sip of the brew -- at least in one scene. The integration, which will include Bond images on packaging, marks the largest activation in the brand's 15-year partnership with the Bond franchise, according to the brewer.

Bond "is a perfect fit for us," said Lesya Lysyj, chief marketing officer of U.S. importer Heineken USA, who outlined the marketer's 2012 advertising plans in an interview. Bond, she added, is the "epitome of the man of the world," referencing the name of the brand's ongoing global campaign

http://adage.com/art...d-flick/233840/

#43 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Out of all the marketing adverts Bond has been used for, I have to say that this is by far the most stylish and beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHBrbumr-Hc&feature=related

Agreed: stylish and original stuff.

Am I the only one who misses the day when Timothy Dalton turned down doing an American Express commercial as James Bond because he felt it wasn't in keeping with the character, being a salesman and walking billboard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StGsRt9PwbM

#44 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

referring to Dalton turning down a commercial - nice if the studio has enough money to waste to allow its lead actor being difficult about it. I think those days are over. In order to allow them to do the next right away, they need to make a real good win and getting money from outside helps with this. I see it less as a poor character trait from DC then him bing professional enough to except reality. If done in style - with Mendes directing it, it will be - there is nothing wrong with it.

#45 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

That's certainly a valid point you mention there. Nowadays films have more marketing stages than they used to in Dalton's time. And in order for a several hundred million dollar venture to make a profit each single stage simply has to perform at the best possible level. It's not a question any more if Craig (or any other current Bond) appears in ads and campaigns, it's merely a question where best to use his image and how often.

#46 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

I have always loved - LOVED - that Sony HD ad. Brilliant agency, whomever came up with it.

#47 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Heineken! [censored] that [censored]! Pabst! Blue! Ribbon!

Seriously it isn't the end. The films are so expensive that this almost has to be done. the first major Bond film, Dr. No, features Red Stripe. Not just a bottle of beer but a dude gets thrown into stacks of cases of it.

#48 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

What beer would Bond drink?

According to Ian Fleming, it would include (but not be limited to) Miller High Life (driving with Felix in Diamonds Are Forever), Lowenbrau (accompanied by double schnapps) in The Living Daylights and Red Stripe in The Man With the Golden Gun.

#49 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

More important in my view is Bond's attitude toward the brew. He drinks it mainly to quench his thirst or to go with a meal, like one would drink water and/wine today. For effect Bond's choice invariably is the hard stuff. Only notable exception is the dinner at Blades in MR. Here he's having the vodka with his meal and later acts drunk on champagne.

#50 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm a little confused. What are we supposed to be annoyed by? The crassness of a commercial tie-in? From a franchise that has flourished on shameless product placement for its entire existence? Or are we supposed to be shaking our heads at the "wrongness" of Bond drinking something other than vodka martinis? Bond is a British male and we're supposed to believe that he doesn't drink fermented grain beverages?

I guess one of the curses of an iconic character is that there are lots of casual spectators who see nothing but the iconic elements. Just cummerbunds and martinis, and anything else is a "departure".

#51 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'm a little confused. What are we supposed to be annoyed by? The crassness of a commercial tie-in? From a franchise that has flourished on shameless product placement for its entire existence? Or are we supposed to be shaking our heads at the "wrongness" of Bond drinking something other than vodka martinis? Bond is a British male and we're supposed to believe that he doesn't drink fermented grain beverages?

I guess one of the curses of an iconic character is that there are lots of casual spectators who see nothing but the iconic elements. Just cummerbunds and martinis, and anything else is a "departure".

From what I've read, the objections (such as they are) is that Bond is drinking beer at all. The Bond of Fleming's books always had more of a variety of drinks than the film Bond. In Goldfinger alone, he has double bourbons, martinis and pink champagne, all within the first few chapters. The movie Bond settled on vodka martinis predominantly. If Bond can drink Miller High Life, he can drink Heineken.

#52 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Precisely. And even if Bond had never been shown to drink a beer, why assume that he wouldn't ever? It imputes a finicky prissiness to Bond that is totally out of character. "Oh, James only drinks martini. And you have to cut his food into triangles. He likes it that way."

#53 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

Don't forget Bond's bachelor party, where he and a German taxi driver "went off to celebrate at the Franziskaner Keller, where they ate mounds of Weisswurst and drank four steins of beer each and swore they wouldn't ever fight each other again" (OHMSS, chapter 26). If the occasion is right, Bond will have a beer.

#54 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Lest we forget LTK, wherein the Barrelhead bar in Bimini featured Busch lanterns, and Bond and Pam ordered 'Bud with a lime.'

Granted, they never got around to drinking any before all hell broke loose, but what if they had? Would that have been the end of Dalton/Bond's credibility?

What if sipping the Heinie is a necessary sacrifice, in order for CraigBond to keep his cover?

"Uh oh, those guys look they're looking for me. Better adopt a disguise. Barman, I'll have a...beer."

"How about him?"

"Nah, can't be. Remember, we're looking for James Bond - keep an eye out for someone drinking either Bollinger or some girly maritini..."

"Whew, they're gone. Argh, that's vile."

Edited by AMC Hornet, 10 April 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#55 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

Lest we forget LTK, wherein the Barrelhead bar in Bimini featured Busch lanterns, and Bond and Pam ordered 'Bud with a lime.'

Granted, they never got around to drinking any before all hell broke loose, but what if they had? Would that have been the end of Dalton/Bond's credibility?

What if sipping the Heinie is a necessary sacrifice, in order for CraigBond to keep his cover?

"Uh oh, those guys look they're looking for me. Better adopt a disguise. Barman, I'll have a...beer."

"How about him?"

"Nah, can't be. Remember, we're looking for James Bond - keep an eye out for someone drinking either Bollinger or some girly maritini..."

"Whew, they're gone. Argh, that's vile."

hahaha brilliant!

I couldn't give a flying [censored] what Bond drinks, it'll be shown on screen for all of two seconds anyway.

#56 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

What beer would Bond drink?
According to Ian Fleming, it would include (but not be limited to) Miller High Life (driving with Felix in Diamonds Are Forever), Lowenbrau (accompanied by double schnapps) in The Living Daylights and Red Stripe in The Man With the Golden Gun.

Bond also drinks beer in OHMSS, The Hildebrand Rarity and Colonel Sun, though in the Amis book he gets fed up with the "thin, soapy local brew."

#57 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:39 AM

He also manages the local, home-brewed South African beer in Carte Blanche without too much suffering.

Remember, 007 is a highly trained and experienced SBS/SAS commando; he can live on anything if he has to - he just prefers not to. If drinking anything other than champagne and Vespers was enough to make him intolerably uncomfortable, then perhaps Sir Roger was right: Hugh Grant would be perfect for the role.

#58 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

I don't mind the beer at all. As pointed out, it's not unheard of for the original Bond of the novels to have the odd beer. What perhaps bothers more is the brand here, Heineken. It's somehow, I don't know, pedestrian, isn't it? There's nothing special about it, like having a Guinness in Dublin, everybody drinks that. I would have preferred a less ubiquitous beer, like maybe Dos Equis or a local brew of Bond's operation field. But that's probably the whole point of it, that whatever Bond sips you can get at your local Tesco's all over the world.

#59 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

The point is, it's Heineken who's fronting $45m, not Dos Equis.

Dos Equis already has its own 'world's most interesting man' and it has him for a lot less.

As PPK_19 pointed out, this is a lot of debate for something that will only be on the screen for a few seconds anyway. The showcasing of Land Rover and Sony computer products will be more frequent, prominent and lingering, yet everyone here is harping on about the beer (no pun intended - originally).

Only those who are watching for it with teeth gritted and knuckles white on the armrests are going to be traumatized by it - because they want to be, as far as I can tell. The rest of the world won't pay any more attention than they did to the Mondeo in CR or the 7-Up logos in MR.

Only when Bond is required to wear corporate logos on his Tom Ford suits like he's a Grand Prix race car driver will I get up in arms about it.

I'll still watch the movies of course...

#60 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

http://blog.zap2it.c...nfortunate.html

Daniel Craig defends James Bond's Heineken drinking but calls product placements 'unfortunate'

Fans of James Bond were shaken and stirred when it was revealed that the super spy would swig a Heineken instead of his normal martini in the upcoming film "Skyfall." Now Daniel Craig is coming to the defense of the move while explaining product placements are an "unfortunate" reality.

"We have relationships with a number of companies so that we can make this movie," he tells the Huffington Post. "The simple fact is that, without them, we couldn't do it. It's unfortunate but that's how it is."

Craig adds that the Sam Mendes-directed film, is a costly venture, but the inclusion of the beer sponsor won't dictate the story.

"There's a big furor about it, but it's not what the movie's about, I promise you," Craig says. "We haven't sold out completely."

In fact, Craig goes on to say that he's a big fan of Heineken. This should come as no surprise considering the millions they're putting into the movie and into an ad campaign featuring Craig.

"It's my favorite choice of beer. I drink it every morning - doesn't everybody?" he jokes.