• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Chapter 28 (of 30)

Gunpowder, treason and plot

In for submission today.

Bond walked out into a hellish scene.
Soldiers hit by the napalm were being treated on the ground; their screams were pitiful. Other soldiers were firing into wildly into the trees, chaos ruled supreme.
The troops were well away from the spill area now, but the burning napalm still spread fear. More troops were heading through the gates, toward the outer gate.
Hiding in plain sight Bond marched across the open ground, and into the courtyard, the attaché case swinging loosely at his side. At the door to the bunker a soldier challenged him, noticing the difference in his uniform.
Bond held up the black briefcase.

#125 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

Hi, Volante. I haven't been reviewing much, but I have been reading, so I thought I'd pass along some of my thoughts on Decree Absolute. The overall story has its over-the-top elements, but with much of it rooted in current events. As a result, the tone sometimes seems a bit uneven, but your writing carries things along pretty well. Particular strengths are your various aviation scenes, with Chapter 22 involving one of the most audacious, not to say outrageous, action sequences I've read in quite a while. It's the style and the research into the physics of the thing that make it so absolutely enjoyable. I also enjoyed the military scenes in the later chapters (and not just because you've recruited Harry Fawkes to the colors!). I don't usually nit-pick inconsequential errors (particularly because my typing is laden with them), but I enjoyed so much of the military action, I thought I'd mention a couple of things that caught my eye. In Chapter 20, the reference to the "Cold Stream" Guards should be "Coldstream." In Chapter 28, you've employed the common fictional term "Over and out." Now, this latter phrase has something of a nice ring to it, but any military radio operator learns rather quickly that the two words are mutually inconsistent and that a communication ends simply with "Out." I know I'm being picky here, but these are a couple of technical matters I picked up.

Anyway, Decree Absolute is a fun read, well written and frequently very exciting. I always enjoy your work.

#126 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

Hi, Volante. I haven't been reviewing much, but I have been reading, so I thought I'd pass along some of my thoughts on Decree Absolute. The overall story has its over-the-top elements, but with much of it rooted in current events. As a result, the tone sometimes seems a bit uneven, but your writing carries things along pretty well. Particular strengths are your various aviation scenes, with Chapter 22 involving one of the most audacious, not to say outrageous, action sequences I've read in quite a while. It's the style and the research into the physics of the thing that make it so absolutely enjoyable. I also enjoyed the military scenes in the later chapters (and not just because you've recruited Harry Fawkes to the colors!). I don't usually nit-pick inconsequential errors (particularly because my typing is laden with them), but I enjoyed so much of the military action, I thought I'd mention a couple of things that caught my eye. In Chapter 20, the reference to the "Cold Stream" Guards should be "Coldstream." In Chapter 28, you've employed the common fictional term "Over and out." Now, this latter phrase has something of a nice ring to it, but any military radio operator learns rather quickly that the two words are mutually inconsistent and that a communication ends simply with "Out." I know I'm being picky here, but these are a couple of technical matters I picked up.

Anyway, Decree Absolute is a fun read, well written and frequently very exciting. I always enjoy your work.

Thanks Bob,
It's good to know that you're still hanging in there. Thanks for your support. Chapter 22's stunt I suppose was influenced by Tom Cruise's Burj Kalhifa stunt in Ghost Protocol. After visiting the scene I wanted to do something amazing. And given the fact that I wasn't going to jump from the building myself thought about 007 doing something never seen before. We have seen Roger Moore being pushed from an aircraft, without a parachute; Tim Dalton hanging out of the back of a C130; and Daniel jumping from the Dekota in QOS. I was determined to outdo Pierce diving after a plane in Goldeneye.
I also wanted to interject the banter between 007 and Q which I think heightens the excitement knowing that the two have such an abrasive relationship. The research on the type of plane 007 could perform the stunt from, and the various snipets of previous 'ejections' including good old Pierce from the Goldeneye helecopter set up the perfect Q dervived action sequence.

Thanks to for your observations on the errors. I thought it would have been Fawkes himself who would have latched onto the communications faux pas. Still, researching the armaments for the Sabre team was very rewarding.
We had a programme on TV here called Ashes to Ashes. I think you had a version of the first series, called Life on Mars.
Anyway, the SAS team are based around the English series characters.
I enjoy the banter between the SAS team, especally when one describes the effects of the 'drug' on its victims.
"They have no memory of their actions"
To which the retort "Like drinking whisky" brings the science fiction 'over the top' element of the yarn down to the ground.

Did you like the dialog between Bond and Moneypenny in Vauxhall Cross?

Id like to finish by saying 'Over and Out' but I know I'd get another telling off.

Still, as you have said, the story gives a nod to Harry and Jeff, but there is another suprise guest in the later part of the tale. As we know literary 007 has a housekeeper named May; I hope you will enjoy how this last twist comes into play

#127 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

It's always interesting to read your backstory for the various scenes. I recall that we discussed some of that in New Orleans regarding "A Secret to the Grave."
As for the Bond/ Moneypenny scene, I thought it was exceptionally well done. It's a lovely scene of which you can be proud.
As for poor old Tallon, you can't do much more to him than Fleming did!

#128 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:30 PM

Interesting couple of posts, guys. Nice to see how these stories get constructed.
I hate going into detail prior to finishing a novel, but I am up to date now and have found Decree Absolute rewarding for the most part, but at times it flirts with caricature. The SAS stuff was one of those. While the Moneypenny incident isn't such, I considered the scene out of character for both players; they actually become more stereotypical at this moment. I thought it unseemly and unnecessary.
Meanwhile, though the airbourne stunt was exceedingly novel and well executed, I struggled with the dialogue between 007 and the female pilot. It was much too long winded for such a time-bound moment - this really should have been related as Bond thinking through the possibilities - and the banter with Q doesn't heighten tension at all but relaxes it because Bond and Q are jesting with each other as much as they are being deadly serious. It's a lop-sided piece of writing that achieves its aim despite the dialogue not because of it. The actually stunt was very well described and I'd have preferred more of that.
Incidently, I got the MI4 link too, but it was a disappointing stunt in the movie and I'm not sure you did yourself full justice to it either, Paul, I was a bit confused with all that umbilical cord stuff - I thought it was made of elastic and couldn't work out how Bond had managed to descend when he should have been hauled backwards.
Still fairly remarkable and imaginative stuff all round.
I'll give you a full run down in a couple of weeks.

#129 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Interesting observations, chrisno1, but I'm going to stick with my praise of the Moneypenny scene. I understood the motivations for the characters' reactions and thought they fit well into the situation. Moneypenny felt ill-used by Bond's conduct, and his attempt to defend himself merely exacerbated her anger, to the point that they both wound up saying things they didn't mean. A side-track from the main narrative, perhaps, but quite a nice little bit for all that.

#130 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

I don't want to elaborate more until the finish - I'll have a more rounded appreciation of Paul's overall intention then. As it stands, I'm only offering a view three-quarters from the finish. Granted, I get what you say, and I'm glad to see you also get mine, but differing interpretations are one of the great things about literature in general - that's what makes it exciting. So roll on the final two chapters, I say.

#131 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for your thoughts guys; this is after all the discussion page.
For me, I feel the conversation between Bond and Moneypenny underpins their relationship.
For a relationship it is. As most of Bond's conquests are either one night stands, or end up with he girl dying. Moneypenny is the closest thing he has to a 'girlfriend'
We have seen how Sean and Roger treat, and interacted with Lois. She in return flirts and gives the perception she is interested, but believes Bond will never fall for her, so allows herself to be aloof. Therefore she treats him with contempt. But beneath the facard Moneypenny cannot bare the thought of Bond being hurt.
Both regard the other as something they beleive they can never have. But their egos believe the the other cannot exist without wanting them.

as for Bond and Q, I believe they are always trying to get one over on each other. Within my previous stories, I have had Bond wreck Q's car (Silhouettes and Shadows). Bond has disarmed Q's elaberate secuity system and invaded his personal space within his home (Bombshell). They recognise the strength in each other, but also recognise the frustration that comes from how the other solves the problems, and gets the job done. New Q and Daniel have already gone down that path in the Skyfall trailers.

Chrisno1 has stated before that my Bond is a blank uncaring killer. I think that sums up the man quiet well; he doesn't have any friends. I think he uses people to asimulate frendships, but then disguards them and moves on when he wants. His charm works well on the ladies, and they 'fall' for him quickly. To take his pleasure and comfort, he falls quickly himself, but then detaches just as quickly. As we know a high percentage of Bond girls end up dead. Bond's education and military career have stood him in good stead to be a loner. Vesper sumed him up very well.

As for Decree Absolute; its a simple story of the villian using mind altering drugs on a number of people to weave a story which will provide a means to an end as far as a Royal problem is concerned. You'll have to wait until the final chapter to find out who that villian is.
The missing box has something 'awful' in it. Anyone who sees it and knows the secret it contains must be eliminated, absolutely.
We are reading now and seeing nude pix of Prince Harry playing strip billiards - Fan fact being stranger than fan fiction again.

It really would be great to get more feedback on how readers see the story and the characters.
Thanks to everyone who's read even a small part of Decree Absolute.
I hope my 007 tale has filled the gap between Carte Blanche and Skyfall

#132 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

The penultimate chapter is in for submission

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

THE GOOD DOCTOR

Here's a little teaser...(did you guess who the villian was?)

“…Where were we. Oh yes, the whole of the United Kingdom thinks you’re a traitor. So I’ll be doing the British tax payer a favour when I finally rid the world of James Bond”

Bond recognized the gun as a Beretta M9.

“You know my name…” Bond grappled with the situation, he needed time to think, to formulate a plan.

“…and your number, 007. The Defense secretary was most informative”

#133 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

if I recall correctly chapter 30 is the final chapter? yes? will there be another novel coming?

#134 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

if I recall correctly chapter 30 is the final chapter? yes? will there be another novel coming?

30 is the final chapter; but of course there is an epilogue.
I use this as a transition from one story to the next.
So, yes there is another novel. But it will be a long time before release. I need to give Harry the opportunity to wow us with Royal Gambit.

Are you enjoying DECREE ABSOLUTE?

#135 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

And yet another Skyfall nod to Decree Absolute.
Bond's new phone is a Sony Xperia T

...and yet on March 13 in Chapter 11, I wrote

James Bond opened the matt grey double depth locker in the ‘Kiel’ executive lounge at Geneva airport. He pulled out a green and tan leather flight bag, the aroma from the leather led him to believe it was brand new. From the bottom level he extracted a black canvas lap top case, the yellow post it note attached to the flap explained his new mobile was inside. Bond took out his current mobile phone and deposited it inside the locker. Slamming the door closed he opened the lap top case and pulled out the Xperia Arc S smart phone. He offered the case to Juliet.

#136 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:45 AM

Looking forward for the final chapter of Decree Absolute whenever that comes.....

#137 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

The banter with Q doesn't heighten tension at all but relaxes it because Bond and Q are jesting with each other as much as they are being deadly serious.

And to my defence comes Daniel Craig...
“I think what’s always fantastic about the Bond stories is that there’s always a darkness involved, but it’s a darkness with a sense of humour. A black humour. It’s about danger, but a good danger, because you’re in the hands of somebody who’s saying ‘[censored] you’ to risk, ‘[censored] you’ to dying.”

#138 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

The banter with Q doesn't heighten tension at all but relaxes it because Bond and Q are jesting with each other as much as they are being deadly serious.

And to my defence comes Daniel Craig...
“I think what’s always fantastic about the Bond stories is that there’s always a darkness involved, but it’s a darkness with a sense of humour. A black humour. It’s about danger, but a good danger, because you’re in the hands of somebody who’s saying ‘[censored] you’ to risk, ‘[censored] you’ to dying.”

No, and I may be misinterpreting Mr Craig's words [I have not read the full article] but I'm not sure he's being specific - I fully appreciate that Bond works well and FANTASTIC-ally well when the darkness of the subject matter is laced with humour. The quote from my post above is in regard to a scene which overloads the humour, as it comes from both parties. Bond and Q are pissing at each other here and while it may be verbally amusing it does nothing to heighten tension.
I'd wonder exactly how Mr. Craig might react if he was confronted with the scene, which while amusing, has no sense of DARKNESS involved in it at all. Sure, Bond knows he might die, but his cavalier attitude BEFORE the event negates the TENSION, if he was cavalier A FTER the event, I'd accept it (I seem to recall there was a fair quip in your story too, Paul). Mr. Craig may want Bond to say FU to dying and FU to risk, but that would make his character unhuman and unbelieveable. It's the suspense, the tension, the fear, that propels the audience / reader and I think that is well worth considering.
I'd like to point out, Paul, that I did say the scene ACHIEVES ITS ENDS DESPITE THE DIALOGUE - imo [oh I hate that motif] you could achieve so much more !!!!!!

Edited by chrisno1, 07 September 2012 - 07:44 AM.

#139 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Alas, the end is near.
For thosed that are up to speed with the story the final chapter will soon be on line.
For those that are just starting - don't forget to run the cursor over chapters 2 to 7 to reveal the text.

Buckle up and get ready, Chapter 30 READING BETWEEN THE LINES
coming soon

#140 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

The final chapter is now in for submission.
Prepare for the explosive climax to DECREE ABSOLUTE

Harry Fawkes knew what Bond was planning, the pressure would be immense.
“I’ve yet to get the opportunity to use that rifle, may I?”
“This is my mess, I’ll fix it”

#141 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

I'd just like to congratulate Paul on Decree Absolute.
I know how hard it is to construct and write a novel, Fan Fic or not, and this was a very fine achievement.
The Fan Fic gets less contributions these days, which is a pity, but I hope this can spur others to take up the pen or put fingertip to keyboard.
Following is my full review of Decree Absolute.
Thanks, Paul.

#142 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

In the Fan Fiction opus Decree Absolute James Bond wings his way to exotic locales around the globe in pursuit of Jürgen Hassel, ex-racing driver, head of a multinational pharmaceutical conglomerate, blackmailer and master criminal. It’s a welcome return. There’s violence aplenty in this tale and the novel has the impact of a vicious rollercoaster as it dips up and down between high points, churning our stomachs and minds with the voracity of it all. There are times when author Paul Taylor has seldom been better. As always, his storytelling is a cut above the ordinary and once again his version of OO7 provides all the excitement and mayhem an audience expects.

However, despite his safe handling of the hurly-burly, Mr. Taylor is still something of an authorial enigma. His research is frequently impeccable and his ideas are, without fail, ingenious and tantalizingly thrilling. I was particularly interested to see technology play a large part in the world of this OO7. It’s refreshing to see an emphasis placed not only on Q Branch (the film franchise’s forte) but also on the military, the civil and ordinary every day communication techniques. This Bond makes a tremendous amount of mobile phone calls; he’s almost lost without one and that all too modern techno-reliance is nicely juxtaposed with the fact Bond usually ends up destroying his appliances, including mobile phones. However, while consummate action and techno-babble is all very well, the author continues to struggle with characters: the lynch pin of great writers. No author, from Shakespeare to Stoppard, Fitzgerald to Woolf, Bronte to Binchey, Maugham to Fleming, has ever succeeded without investing time in their cast. The same dictum should apply to the best Fan Fiction.

It is true many modern thriller writers also show scant regard for their people, who often have sketchy backgrounds and whose motivations remain deliberately obtuse. In that regard, Mr. Taylor is only following a trend, one which probably has its root as far back as the fifties and sixties when writers like Bagley and MacLean and Fleming himself were churning out bestseller after bestseller. But among all the blood and thunder presented to us here, there appears precious time for genuine personal insight. We learn next to nothing about James Bond, who is almost anonymous as an individual, until towards the novel’s end he admits to a streak of narcissism. This occurs during an undignified public shouting match with Moneypenny that sees them both act like children in a school playground as a hopelessly redundant Bill Tanner plays referee (this is the Chief of Staff remember - the man in charge of discipline!). The revelation is hardly a surprise: Bond has acted selfishly from the off and appears to have developed a crude, objectionable tone, his words seeming to whiplash across the page without sentiment. While Mr. Taylor’s interpretation of Bond has always been akin to an efficient killer, our hero has never come across so startlingly arrogant. It’s an unusual portrait and I’m unsure whether this writing is brave or misguided. It’s certainly distinctive.

We discover even less about the numerous babes Bond meets and the villains he dispatches. This is particularly galling as one of the novel’s narrative hooks involves a mind altering drug which deludes its patients to believe lies about themselves. This is a brilliant, fantastical scenario, one which is exploited very well to develop the plot and also provides the twist to the stunning climax of a teeth gritting fight. It’s a hook which has undertones of Ludlum’s Bourne series [the idea of impregnating personal history] and I particularly enjoyed this as it’s always worth reflecting on what Bond can learn from his imitators. Regards Decree Absolute, while we learn much about the current state of mind of these poor deluded people, their lack of history prior to brainwashing is noticeable and rather undermines our sympathy.

The actual bad guys are very straightforward villains, cast in a mould familiar to any devotee of Mr. Taylor’s work: a disillusioned politician, a muscle bound assassin, a crazed multimillionaire, a mad scientist. They hardly raise a shred of interest until they are about to be killed by Bond, when we learn something startling about them or their place in the unfolding grand scheme. The women get even worse treatment, being the standard gaggle of gorgeous girls who all fancy the pants off OO7 (in one case almost literally). Yet for all their external charms, not one has any depth of personality and hence Bond’s dalliances are uniformly awkward and littered with innuendo to paper over the creaking seductions.

This is not to say Decree Absolute isn’t a success. The novel itself kicks off in cracking style, a veritable dance of death between Bond and the traitor Lincoln Palmer. This is a beautifully constructed, deathly shadow of the tango enacted by dancers in the opening scene. Next, a weary Bill Tanner and his soon to be deceased young aide Corrine Murphy, arrive at a crime scene a la David Caruso in CSI, all shades and ID cards and suspicions. Much tension hangs over these scenes: we want to know why Bond is working rogue, what is the significance of Edward Blake’s death, who is the mysterious Juliet Guggler and where do Global Witness and the Klivex Corporation figure.

We are held in suspense for a very long time. The early, simple, tease of corporate blackmail has all but disappeared by the time we’re half way through, replaced by the familiar confusion of big business, politics, royal conspiracies and a terror plot that threatens the world. We’re fairly used to this sort of thing from Mr. Taylor, in fact Royal scandal was a theme already utilized in the author’s debut Edge of Treason, while infectious diseases took a bow in Silhouettes and Shadows. The novel could probably do without these multiple threads and, as always, the unraveling of such a literal Gordian knot proves to be longwinded and really needs better exposition than the author gives us. Explanations come in dribs and drabs and usually not from the horse’s mouth but from those of Bond, Tanner or a battle hardened M as they piece together the jigsaw. [I must confess however, I read this novel over a period of weeks rather than days, and may have forgotten some details from week to week.] The story seems to resolve itself reasonably well at about chapter twenty four, but there is an extended coda which feels a trifle unnecessary.

What makes the biggest difference to Decree Absolute is the plethora of grand stand climaxes. There is almost one every chapter. Bond is shoved into tight corner after tight corner and uses a few gadgets, his guile and wit and plenty of muscle and gun power to overcome the odds. Frequently the action is over the top, but for every mad cap shoot-up or stunning aerial set-piece, there is a more terse and dark nightmare for OO7 to endure. So while street chases involving helicopter gunships prove wildly unbelievable, we also have Bond being subjected to torture by ingestion or defusing ticking bombs as he hangs upside down in cargo holds. Whether the action is good or bad, the pace rarely slackens and the twists are often startlingly surprising. Those are definite plus points.

When Mr. Taylor writes such wickedly inventive scenarios I can forgive the poor grammar and the lack of polish to the prose. The constant use of ‘then, next, as, now, and, that’ as well as the mystifying over-use of the semicolon, which extend already tired sentences, becomes wearisome. He’s a storyteller of fine ideas and he weaves a tangled and satisfying web, but I do wish he’d tighten up his writing across the whole piece! Some of his metaphors are exemplary and his brief, scene setting descriptions often hauntingly evocative, yet outside of the violence, the prose teeters on the verge of the mundane. It’s often long winded, repetitive and informal, written almost as if the author was conversing, rather than creating, the discourse.

Occasionally even the action falters: the middle section of the story, which features Bond’s blossoming romance and a plane hijack, drags badly, and is the least interesting; it would benefit from some revision. The most intriguing confrontation of this section, possibly of the whole novel, doesn’t involve OO7 at all, but his boss and a high handed Royal attaché. It’s a set-to that bristles with all the friction, sparsity and animosity missing from Bond’s jokey head-to-heads with baddies Alanby and Hessel. Later, Bond himself is given a contretemps with his own boss and a clinical psychologist that also displays the author’s ability to manipulate his dialogue effectively, but this sort of scenario is rare in the novel and too often Mr. Taylor chooses his character’s words less diligently. The final few chapters in Libya, for instance, as Bond perfects a rescue mission with a commando unit, plumb the depths of stereotype. The penultimate chapter is particularly disappointing as Bond swaps one-liners with another nutty villain while spread-eagled over a pit of spikes and hanging onto the sobbing Juliet. It defies belief that at this point Bond should be smiling and laughing. This leaves a rather sour taste to the dénouement, which is a pity, as the scene isn’t representative of the novel as a whole. Yes, Paul’s good with a pun, but the best constructed sequences in the novel come when he’s being serious: those fairly crackle with intensity compared with the inconsequential stuff.

Decree Absolute is quite a long read, touching in at over 80,000 words, and tends to meander. I recently re-read Mr Taylor’s first three novels and was impressed by how tightly structured they were. There was something gratifying in the swiftness of those early works. Here the polished assuredness of the author’s cat’s cradle plotting and the sheen of his explosive drama are dulled by the damnably empty personas and moments of expressive ordinariness. Spread over such a long piece these shortfalls become more noticeable. None-the-less Decree Absolute is a formidably robust tale which delivers what readers expect: gutsy action, scantily clad women, nasty villains and a plentiful quota of quick quips - there’s even a few token implausibles to argue over. It is, in fact, very much like a James Bond film and you can’t sing praise higher than that.

#143 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

I'd just like to congratulate Paul on Decree Absolute.
I know how hard it is to construct and write a novel, Fan Fic or not, and this was a very fine achievement.
The Fan Fic gets less contributions these days, which is a pity, but I hope this can spur others to take up the pen or put fingertip to keyboard.
Following is my full review of Decree Absolute.
Thanks, Paul.

A big thanks to Chris; for actually taking the time to read and analyse Decree Absolute.
And of course for the review.
Chris, your review was fantatastic. It's always enlightning to understand how someone else sees the story.
Your insights and views provoke not only pride, but a hunger to review the areas you felt were wanting.
I felt very honoured that you took the time to write a review, and that it heaped praise upon the work.
I will take on board your feedback and come back stronger.

All that is left to do now is publish the epilogue, which closes the story...
...and paves the way for the next novel.

#144 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

TOMORROW... 30/09/12

The final scene of DECREE ABSOLUTE will be submitted.

will there be more twists?

You bet.

Follow 007's journey from the sweaty dance clubs of Argentina, through the dramatic mountains of Switzerland. From the modernity of Kuwait to the historical majesty of Aleppo. From the corridors of power that beats at the heart of London to the termoil of Tripoli, at the very center of the Arab spring.

Bond triumphed against ovewhelming odds when he stormed Saddam's fortress.
We know he escaped with his life...just. But?
Is Juliet dead or alive?
Find out in the final throw of the dice. Never forget, the odds can change, the number remains the same. 007

Thanks to everyone who has read part, or the whole story. I hope you enjoyed it.

#145 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

interesting ending......I guess it will be while until we see the next one....any estimated date?

#146 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Oh, hell, I always forget Paul's epilogues!!! I thought Decree Absolute was over with. I don't think it'll hurt my review or my enjoyment much as the epilogue usually prempts his next novel.....
Nice to see as well that Paul's not given up on FanFic.
As a side point, terrible to see the stuff that's happening to Aleppo, Syria, one of the locations Paul used for novel.

#147 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Simply electrifying Paul. You've by far outdone yourself with this one. I will try and give you a review but for now is all I'm going to say is [censored] MATE, THAT IS ONE HELL OF A STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I haven't read the epilogue yet so please refrain from giving things away. Kindly respect slow bastard readers like me thank you very much.

Roo7G

#148 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

I'll write a full review later. For now, however, just let me say --- amusing. Very amusing. "May" thinks so as well.

#149 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

One of my favorite reviews of Ian Fleming's On Her Majesty's Secret Service (my favorite James Bond novel) noted that, despite some flaws, the book was written "with great dash" that overcame the difficulties. I was reminded of that comment when I finished Decree Absolute. I previously commented on some unevenness in the earlier chapters, but the concluding chapters, and the book overall, are written with very considerable "dash," making this fan fiction a most satisfying read. The assault on the underground compound crackles, and the lengthy exposition sequence between Bond and Dr. Katrina in Chapter 29 worked quite well for me, setting up a most satisfying conclusion. The brief discussion between Bond and Moneypenny in Chapter 30 made a lovely little counterpoint to their prior bitter confrontation, and that worked quite nicely as well. As for the Epilog, well, I was pleased to see Bond in an off-duty setting, a Scotish manor with a gillie and housekeeper, characters that seem somehow familiar. We don't get to see Bond in this setting for long, however, as a new mission arises, and we're left with the promise that Bond will return.

It's something to which readers of Volante's stories can look forward with anticipation.

#150 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

One of my favorite reviews of Ian Fleming's On Her Majesty's Secret Service (my favorite James Bond novel) noted that, despite some flaws, the book was written "with great dash" that overcame the difficulties. I was reminded of that comment when I finished Decree Absolute. I previously commented on some unevenness in the earlier chapters, but the concluding chapters, and the book overall, are written with very considerable "dash," making this fan fiction a most satisfying read. The assault on the underground compound crackles, and the lengthy exposition sequence between Bond and Dr. Katrina in Chapter 29 worked quite well for me, setting up a most satisfying conclusion. The brief discussion between Bond and Moneypenny in Chapter 30 made a lovely little counterpoint to their prior bitter confrontation, and that worked quite nicely as well. As for the Epilog, well, I was pleased to see Bond in an off-duty setting, a Scotish manor with a gillie and housekeeper, characters that seem somehow familiar. We don't get to see Bond in this setting for long, however, as a new mission arises, and we're left with the promise that Bond will return.

It's something to which readers of Volante's stories can look forward with anticipation.

Thanks Bob,
It's been quiet a ride since you gave your comments.
Thank-you for your observations and kind words.

Skyfall has come, seen and conquered. Decree Absolute is still attracting downloads so I guess I'm doing something right.

On that basis work will soon start on the next James Bond adventure. NEVER THE DEATH
In the interim I am finishing off a screenplay.
Which will be "Christmasized" to fulfill the festive Bond.