210 replies to this topic

#31 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

Variety is reporting Bradley Cooper has been offered the role of Napoleon Solo. The report has been widely picked up on websites such as Cinema Blend and The Huffington Post.

#32 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

Well... I´m not crazy about Cooper. But if Soderbergh sees the potential... I´ll wait and see.

#33 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

Well... I´m not crazy about Cooper. But if Soderbergh sees the potential... I´ll wait and see.

Right. Also, the casting of Illya Kuryakin will be very important to how the movie goes.

#34 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

Right. Also, the casting of Illya Kuryakin will be very important to how the movie goes.

I wonder if April Dancer will be included as well. (Or even instead of Illya?)

#35 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:27 PM

April will not appear because the movie is based strictly on the first season of U.N.C.L.E. .

I think Cooper could work.

#36 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:44 PM

"It would now seem that there’s a front runner for the role, and it’s Bradley Cooper. Cooper has apparently been passionate about playing Solo, and it looks as though his efforts may well have paid off."

If true it's good to hear that he has a personal interest in the part and it's not just a paycheck.

#37 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:18 PM

April will not appear because the movie is based strictly on the first season of U.N.C.L.E. .

I think Cooper could work.

Ah, so it'll be in black and white! :cooltongue:

I don't know Cooper's work. Can anyone recommend a role of his that might suggest how he might be as Solo?

#38 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

Well he was in Alias so that might be the best option at the moment. Limitless also might be something to view.

#39 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

The Casting Director has just been signed. Now who are they going to consider for Mr. Waverly?

Ian McKellen?

Robert Vaughn?

#40 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:11 AM

Well he was in Alias so that might be the best option at the moment. Limitless also might be something to view.

Excellent. Thanks!

#41 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

Steven Soderbergh met with Joel Kinnaman, the Swedish star of Snabba Cash and lead of The Killing, to discuss the role of Illya Kuryakin in his adaptation of the 60s spy show The Man From U.N.C.L.E. that is being turned into a large scale blockbuster at Warner Bros. Upon the meeting, Soderbergh made it known he wanted to cast the rising star but in the end Warner Bros have slotted him into co-leading another of their big money potential franchise starters. "Arthur and Lancelot".

#42 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Steven Soderbergh met with Joel Kinnaman, the Swedish star of Snabba Cash and lead of The Killing, to discuss the role of Illya Kuryakin in his adaptation of the 60s spy show The Man From U.N.C.L.E. that is being turned into a large scale blockbuster at Warner Bros. Upon the meeting, Soderbergh made it known he wanted to cast the rising star but in the end Warner Bros have slotted him into co-leading another of their big money potential franchise starters. "Arthur and Lancelot".

This is proving to be easier said than done. Then again, given the 20 years this project has bounced around, that's to be expected.

#43 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:30 AM

Amid all the excitement about a certain press conference today, there is other news in the world. Eurozone crisis, Greek government on brink of collapse, and this unlikely piece of news - The Man From UNCLE, Robert Vaughn, is to star in British soap opera "Coronation Street".

It might sound as likely as 007 ordering a pint of Newton & Ridley's best beer, but I swear I haven't made this up. Check out the BBC News Entertainment and Arts webpage. Link attached.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-15570516

#44 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

Not really that unlikely. Hustle is/has finished filming its last season. No reason for Vaughn not to go on to do something else. He is still in good health and a great presence on screen.

#45 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

From Cinema blend a possible Illya:

When we reported yesterday that Joel Edgerton was considering starring in the 300 prequel Battle of Artemisia, it turned out that was only half of the story. Vulture has amended their previous report to add that Warner Bros. has also offered him the lead role in The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Steven Soderbergh's still-developing adaptation of the 60s TV spy show. Soderbergh lost George Clooney as a lead when the actor decided he was simply too old to take on the action-heavy role, and with Edgerton-- star of Warrior and The Thing-- he's at least found a guy with the youth and brawn to pull it off.

Really, the U.N.C.L.E. role sounds much better suited to a rising star like Edgerton-- it's the chance to star in a movie and create a character most of the audience won't remember from the original series, and most importantly, it gets him working with a prestigious director anyone would jump at the chance to work with. You may remember hearing that Bradley Cooper was weighing a role in the film, and that's still true-- the original series focused on two characters, American Napoleon Solo and Russian Ilya Kuryakin, and Cooper may still play Solo, while Edgerton could play Kuryakin. Cooper is apparently waiting to see who will play Kuryakin before signing on, and we don't really know if Edgerton is what he has in mind-- but why shouldn't it be? They're both up-and-comers but Cooper is clearly the more famous one, so he could have the opportunity to bounce off a talented actor his own age without having to worry about who's #1 on the call sheet.

I have my doubts that Edgerton, his agent, or anyone in a position of power on these things is reading, but just in case: Do U.N.C.LE., Joel! Forget the screaming loincloths of the 300 prequel! Thank me later!

Comment: This would certainly be a different take on the character seen in the series.

#46 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

Not really that unlikely. Hustle is/has finished filming its last season. No reason for Vaughn not to go on to do something else. He is still in good health and a great presence on screen.

I agree about Robert Vaughn's availability and he is in great form still. But I'm having a bit of a hard time picturing the former Napoleon Solo ordering a pint in the snug bar of the Rovers Return.

Then again, nobody expected to see Sir Ian McKellan in the series either! :)

#47 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

From Cinema blend a possible Illya:

When we reported yesterday that Joel Edgerton was considering starring in the 300 prequel Battle of Artemisia, it turned out that was only half of the story. Vulture has amended their previous report to add that Warner Bros. has also offered him the lead role in The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Steven Soderbergh's still-developing adaptation of the 60s TV spy show. Soderbergh lost George Clooney as a lead when the actor decided he was simply too old to take on the action-heavy role, and with Edgerton-- star of Warrior and The Thing-- he's at least found a guy with the youth and brawn to pull it off.

Really, the U.N.C.L.E. role sounds much better suited to a rising star like Edgerton-- it's the chance to star in a movie and create a character most of the audience won't remember from the original series, and most importantly, it gets him working with a prestigious director anyone would jump at the chance to work with. You may remember hearing that Bradley Cooper was weighing a role in the film, and that's still true-- the original series focused on two characters, American Napoleon Solo and Russian Ilya Kuryakin, and Cooper may still play Solo, while Edgerton could play Kuryakin. Cooper is apparently waiting to see who will play Kuryakin before signing on, and we don't really know if Edgerton is what he has in mind-- but why shouldn't it be? They're both up-and-comers but Cooper is clearly the more famous one, so he could have the opportunity to bounce off a talented actor his own age without having to worry about who's #1 on the call sheet.

I have my doubts that Edgerton, his agent, or anyone in a position of power on these things is reading, but just in case: Do U.N.C.LE., Joel! Forget the screaming loincloths of the 300 prequel! Thank me later!

Comment: This would certainly be a different take on the character seen in the series.

The story originated with Vulture, an entertainment blog that's part of New York magazine. Vulture was also the Web site that published Steven Soderbergh's viewing list for a year's time, that included almost every first-season Man From UNCLE episode.

#48 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:32 AM

The story originated with Vulture, an entertainment blog that's part of New York magazine. Vulture was also the Web site that published Steven Soderbergh's viewing list for a year's time, that included almost every first-season Man From UNCLE episode.

I like Joel Edgerton as an actor, but Hollywood really doesn't seem to know how to use him. The Thing wasn't the right vehicle for him, and he's certainly not the right actor for Ilya! I really hope that Soderbergh comes up with a better duo than Cooper and Edgerton.

#49 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:10 PM

I like Joel Edgerton as an actor, but Hollywood really doesn't seem to know how to use him. The Thing wasn't the right vehicle for him, and he's certainly not the right actor for Ilya! I really hope that Soderbergh comes up with a better duo than Cooper and Edgerton.

Well Cooper is out of the picture........................

The Wrap reveals that Cooper will not play the role in film set to be directed by Steven Soderbergh. The actor has a very busy plate as he's currently shooting "The Silver Linings Playbook" and heads to Australia for "Paradise Lost" later this year. No reason has been given for his exit. But the actor is just one in a laundry list of folks that have been considerd.

#50 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:33 AM

Well Cooper is out of the picture........................

The Wrap reveals that Cooper will not play the role in film set to be directed by Steven Soderbergh. The actor has a very busy plate as he's currently shooting "The Silver Linings Playbook" and heads to Australia for "Paradise Lost" later this year. No reason has been given for his exit. But the actor is just one in a laundry list of folks that have been considerd.

I'm beginning to wonder if this movie is ever going to be made....

#51 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:27 AM

The Man From UNCLE curse:
http://bit.ly/tPEIfa

#52 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

I'm glad Bradley Cooper dropped out he just doesn't fit the part in my mind. A lot of current American actors lack the charm and suave that Robert Vaughn effortlessly brought to the role. You basically need someone who can be as cool as Sean Connery and I just don't see it out there. They might have to broaden their search and look at British actors as well.

Maybe Ryan Gosling could do it. I don't know.

#53 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

The worst case scenario:

http://bit.ly/ujNNu1

#54 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:42 AM

http://www.empireonl...y.asp?NID=32478

http://www.moviehole...-u-n-c-l-e-role
OH HELL NO!!!!!

#55 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:13 AM

Leaves me unimpressed for the time being.

#56 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32478

OH HELL NO!!!!!

My reaction is similar to what Bugs Bunny does at the 2:32 mark of this:

#57 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Oh, this is SUCH a bad idea! My interest level just plummeted through the floor. Tatum has zero charisma or comedic chops.

#58 Godhammer

Godhammer

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32478

OH HELL NO!!!!!

The Punk from U.N.C.L.E., anyone?

#59 killkenny kid

killkenny kid