254 replies to this topic

#91 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:20 AM

so how do we end up putting a plot together?

#92 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:28 AM

It's a bit too soon for that, matey - we need to leave more time for people to make their two sentence suggestions.

#93 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:41 AM

It is soon, but I think he does raise a valid point: how do we actually build the plot up?

I figure we would settle on a plot that everyone likes and start fleshing it out from there to get a more-complete version of the villain's plot and then start working on scenes to be included.

#94 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:47 AM

I say give them 48 hrs or so to write up their two sentences...so we can start at end of July/early August on plots..THe goal is to finish this in 12 months? or finish this by end of the year?

#95 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:14 AM

What's the rush?

#96 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:44 AM

Interesting insight into the committee creative process; one suspects similar of them what make the Bond films. Which is why it takes years.

#97 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

Okay, new idea:

In the aftermath of a devastating terrorist attack, evidence comes to light that a major world power (ie Russia) played a part in orchestrating it as a pretext to starting a war. James Bond must go deep behind enemy lines to locate and extract a powerful businessman in exile (like Mikhail Khodorkovsky) who can thwart the war - but as the situation rapidly deteriorates, Bond begins to discover that things are not what they seem as both sides struggle for control of a devastating weapon that has remained forgotten since the Cold War.

#98 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

Okay, new idea:

In the aftermath of a devastating terrorist attack, evidence comes to light that a major world power (ie Russia) played a part in orchestrating it as a pretext to starting a war. James Bond must go deep behind enemy lines to locate and extract a powerful businessman in exile (like Mikhail Khodorkovsky) who can thwart the war - but as the situation rapidly deteriorates, Bond begins to discover that things are not what they seem as both sides struggle for control of a devastating weapon that has remained forgotten since the Cold War.

I like it, and it would make it more intersting if the devasting weapon is not really a weapon but it is something else completely and make government beleive it is a dangerous weapon and go after the wrong people/leads..a divesion/false fag something like that

#99 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

...did everybody decide to ignore my idea? Not that semi-anthology baloney; this:

After an MI6-led raid goes horribly wrong, M sends Bond on two-weeks leave in Canada to keep out of the press. But Bond becomes embroiled in new difficulties before long, happening upon a plot that could shake the very foundations of the British Commonwealth.

A bit vague, but the details are interesting... they involve Commonwealth republicanism. Very British; very Bond. ;)

#100 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

Okay - running through the various suggestions so far (we had five, if we count both of CT's seperately) and making bullet points of the major plot points:

- a closeted government official is brutally murdered in the seedy underbelly of the gay scene
- there is an investigation into a phone hacking scandal
- a mission involving MI6/The Double-Oh Section goes horrifically wrong
- after a mission, Bond is assigned to two weeks leave and stumbles upon the plot
- a specific person has vital information that could take down the villain of the piece
- Bond is temporarily withdrawn from active service and ent to Shrublands
- there is a dangerous conspiracy that begins to unravel during the novel

I think we can begin to construct something from these building blocks! No details so far! I don't really want anyone to post how they'd put the pieces together yet - just take twenty four hours to have a think about how you'd put them together. I will post tomorrow with how I'd fit it all into one cohesive whole - and then everyone else can post theirs!

Locations:

Vancouver, Canada (terminus, 007jamesbond)
Quebec, Canada (mrblofeld)
Kuwait (terminus)*
Dubai, UAE (terminus)*
Manchester, UK (terminus)

* - some knowledge, but not in-depth

...did everybody decide to ignore my idea? Not that semi-anthology baloney; this:

After an MI6-led raid goes horribly wrong, M sends Bond on two-weeks leave in Canada to keep out of the press. But Bond becomes embroiled in new difficulties before long, happening upon a plot that could shake the very foundations of the British Commonwealth.

A bit vague, but the details are interesting... they involve Commonwealth republicanism. Very British; very Bond. ;)

I believe the phrase you're looking for is 'Get a grip' - nobody had ignored your post, one person responded to one other persons post, nothing personal about it.

#101 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:15 PM

yeah...I think we could combine it together now..but a few more plot ideas wouldnt hurt. I think some of the idea could be a sub plot that doesnt relate to the main plot

#102 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:25 AM

- after a mission, Bond is assigned to two weeks leave and stumbles upon the plot

I know you said no details, but I think these two can be spliced together, since they're essentially the same thing.

#103 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:35 AM

I know you said no details, but I think these two can be spliced together, since they're essentially the same thing.

I agree....both are actually the same

After a mission, Bond is assigned to Shrubland as a temporary leave of absense and taken off active duty for two weeks, and uncovers a plot

#104 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:54 AM

I believe the phrase you're looking for is 'Get a grip' - nobody had ignored your post, one person responded to one other persons post, nothing personal about it.

No worries; I'm fine with whatever happens. :)

With my thoughts, I'm hoping that first "raid" to be separate from the main action of the book -- just a way to kick it off with a bang and get Bond involved in the conspiracy... so, yeah, it'd be like a combo of the openings to GF/TB, only quicker.

I wouldn't want to re-use Shrublands, though; that's almost as bad as Faulks utilizing another "Dr. Julius" in his continuation novel... :S

#105 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:03 AM

No worries; I'm fine with whatever happens. :)

With my thoughts, I'm hoping that first "raid" to be separate from the main action of the book -- just a way to kick it off with a bang and get Bond involved in the conspiracy... so, yeah, it'd be like a combo of the openings to GF/TB, only quicker.

I wouldn't want to re-use Shrublands, though; that's almost as bad as Faulks utilizing another "Dr. Julius" in his continuation novel... :S

yeah maybe dont use shrublands....but other way to get Bond involve?

#106 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:06 AM

Yeah, maybe we shouldn't use Shrublands... but is there any other way to get Bond involved?

I would think so; I figured some sort of "vacation" in Ontario/Quebec would do the trick.

#107 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:08 AM

If it's needed, I have working knowledge of Australia and New Zealand.

#108 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:14 AM

stll think we need a bit more plot ideas...anyone else have any?

#109 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:37 AM

Hmmmmm... should we really get so specific before we've decided which one to choose?

Also, to the person repeatedly marking down my posts: Kindly knock it off.

#110 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:50 AM

"Jealous wives, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors. The list is endless."

#111 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:22 AM

"Jealous wives, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors. The list is endless."

Figured it was you; knock it off.

#112 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:44 AM

stll think we need a bit more plot ideas

No, we don't. The six and a half (I'm counting the Shrublands/Canadian vacation as the same thing) plot elements posted can easily be synthesised into a very strong setup. Granted, there is no immediately apparent villain or endgame, but we have a good starting point.

#113 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:04 AM

What's with your obsession with your CBn reputation? God, you must have absolutely zero self-esteem.

#114 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:39 AM

What's with your obsession with your CBn reputation? God, you must have absolutely zero self-esteem.

You and Christopher are probably not helping it though.

Ah, creative differences.

#115 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:28 AM

is it possible to start the first treatment now? we do have a starting plot and starting the first draft would be great

#116 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

is it possible to start the first treatment now?

No. We're not even close. Why are you in such a hurry to get started? I don't understand; I get that you're enthusiastic, but surely you see that we have nowhere near enough content to make any significant progress. Especially if we want a treatment that is thirty pages long. We have no idea who the villain is, or what the ultiamte plot will be. We don't know which supporting characters will be included, or how they fit into the story. We don't know which locations will be used, how, or when. If this were a Bond film, then we'd only have about twenty minutes' content so far. You know what terminus said - give it twenty-four hours to find a way to work together the elements we already have.

#117 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

Remember - no discussing how you'd integrate those parts into one cohesive whole until later once I've posted my version! I don't want something too impulsive - this needs to be carefully thought out.

And, please, 007jamesbond, we WILL get to concocting the treatment eventually - but it might not be for a while yet. We don't want - nay, we CAN'T - rush this process, we need to understand how and why pieces of the plot are falling into place and this means we need to take our time with each level of the building process.

#118 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

I still think we need a little bit more, terminus. We don't really know what the villain is actually planning - or are you deliberately leaving that open-eneded so that we can all come up with something on our own?

#119 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

I didn't actually ask for much more than had already been done - just asking for people to try and bring the different elements people had proposed in their individual 'pitches' into one singular 'pitch'. We're not quite at the stage for developing this out further and discuss a villain and his/her/their plot.

Here's my version of what I mean -

After a mission goes horribly wrong, Bond is temporarily withdrawn from active service and sent to recuperate somewhere. When an MI6 bureaucrat is brutally murdered in the seedy underbelly of the gay scene, the murder is connected to a phone hacking scandal - which results in Bond being recalled to active duty ahead of schedule. As Bond investigates the reason the bureaucrat was murdered, be begins to unravel a dangerous conspiracy that takes him on a journey around the world - on a mission to find something that could, both literally and figuratively, shatter the British government.

(I do know how some of the journey I'm picturing would fit together (and therefore, some of the locations we'd use in this version), but I'm not putting that down YET - and would respectfully suggest that people try and keep to the things already suggested. Like I said, I'm picturing something akin to the DaVinci Code in comparison to the momentum that should push the adventure onwards.

#120 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

here is mine
After an operation goes wrong, Bond is ordered to take a leave of absence to Canada in order for a short break. While there, he uncovers a conspiracy that could change the way the Government works and operate. Immediately returning to emergency duty to find and locate a man that could provide vital information about a conspiracy that is both a threat to the United Kingdom, and its allies (NATO). As Bond must travels around many continents and uncover something shocking that he might not be able to stop. As well, Bond uncover a second plot involving a phone scandal that may have connection to the threat.