Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

Completely disagree.
Who's to say Bond shouldn't be bearded?

Fleming might have somehting to say about it. One of the bees in M's bonnet was men with beards. I doubt that he'd have trusted 007 as much if he'd been bearded.

I was expecting this "Fleming wrote" issue... ;)
OK then, so Bond must be a heavy smoker and a heavy drinker, must have a scar on his cheek, must drive a Bentley, must mostly dress in dark blue suits, must be patronizing, etc. But I seem to remember the majority on these Forums don't want him to chain smoke, wouldn't want him to have a scar on his face, etc.
I could be fine by this "let's stick to Fleming", but only as far as we really do. It's too convenient to pick only bits and pieces deemed suitable...

I actually think that it could be very interesting to start a dedicated thread on whether or not "Fleming wrote" is still relevant nowadays.

The answer to your question is yes.

#32 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:00 AM

Why don't we get a Black Bond? Played by P. Diddy?

That shot was just a "promo shot", like "the first look at Pierce's Bond".

Posted Image

Just like this pic of Dan. It's a way to say... it's official, he is Bond! - but it's not meant to say "this is the way he'll look in the film". Notice that Dan has the hair much longer than in the film itself. It's like a placeholder pic.

#33 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:38 AM

OK then, so Bond must be a heavy smoker and a heavy drinker, must have a scar on his cheek, must drive a Bentley, must mostly dress in dark blue suits, must be patronizing, etc. But I seem to remember the majority on these Forums don't want him to chain smoke, wouldn't want him to have a scar on his face, etc.
I could be fine by this "let's stick to Fleming", but only as far as we really do. It's too convenient to pick only bits and pieces deemed suitable...

I actually think that it could be very interesting to start a dedicated thread on whether or not "Fleming wrote" is still relevant nowadays.

I understand your angle. At the same time I never spoke in absolutes. ;)

If 'Fleming wrote' isn't relevant then what's the point? If you stray too far from what he wrote then is it still James Bond or just some other cat that bangs chicks and kills guys?

#34 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

A very similar photo here, released a few months after Brosnan was announced as Bond:

Attached File  BrosnanLiveWire.JPG   2.45MB   5 downloads

#35 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

It's the same pic actuall. ;)

#36 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:19 PM

It's the same pic actuall. ;)

No, sthgilyadgnivileht's is far bigger and a bit more purple.

#37 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

They look very similar, but in the image Zencat's posted you can see Brosnan's left ear, but it's not on the magazine cover I uploaded.

#38 scissorpuppy007

scissorpuppy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

Shortly before signing on for Bond, Brosnan agreed to star in the follow up to Death Train called Night Watch (USA films tv movies was released with the Detonator name attached on home video). From what I understand EON asked him
to keep the long hair look to separate the the image from Bond. Understandably, USA network decided to air the tv film around the same time as Goldeneye hit theaters.

http://images.moviep...-1020210948.jpg

#39 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

Shortly before signing on for Bond, Brosnan agreed to star in the follow up to Death Train called Night Watch (USA films tv movies was released with the Detonator name attached on home video). From what I understand EON asked him
to keep the long hair look to separate the the image from Bond. Understandably, USA network decided to air the tv film around the same time as Goldeneye hit theaters.

But Death Train was released in '93. I always thought Brosnan had the beard because he was filming Robinson Crusoe when he was announced, at least that's what the British press reported at the time anyway.

#40 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

Yeah, I thought it was because of Robinson Crusoe as well.

#41 scissorpuppy007

scissorpuppy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

But Death Train was released in '93. I always thought Brosnan had the beard because he was filming Robinson Crusoe when he was announced, at least that's what the British press reported at the time anyway.

Yes, Death Train was released in 1993 (which Brosnan sported a shorter haircut), but it had a sequel in 1995 called Night Watch. Brosnan did have the look for Crusoe when he signed on for Bond, but he has also already signed on for Night Watch. He was asked to keep a different look for Night Watch so he didn't look too much like bond for the film. He kept a mustache and long hair (though not as long as his Crusoe look).

#42 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, I thought it was because of Robinson Crusoe as well.

Night Watch was released in 1995 (Death Train was '93).

IIRC, Brosnan pretty much filmed CRUSOE and NIGHT WATCH back to back after getting Bond, with the stipulation he kept the beard for the NIGHT WATCH sequel he was committed to to avoid the Bond connection.

There was - remember - quite a wait between Brosnan press reveal in early summer 1994 and the filming on GOLDENENYE commencing at the start of January 1995...

#43 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

Interesting, makes sense.

#44 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, interesting, thanks guys. I didn't know about this.

#45 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

I understand your angle. At the same time I never spoke in absolutes. ;)

If 'Fleming wrote' isn't relevant then what's the point? If you stray too far from what he wrote then is it still James Bond or just some other cat that bangs chicks and kills guys?

True.
What I mean is that one cannot say "Fleming wrote Bond without a beard so Bond has to have no beard" while at the same time not wanting Bond to have a scar on his cheek or any other Fleming-isued physical sign (mind you, I'm not saying you did say that, I'm only pointing to the fact that the audience wouldn't want a Bond with a scar).

I think the more the "movie Bond" becomes independant from the "novel Bond" then what Fleming wrote is more of an inspiration than something to be taken word for word. Otherwise, the only movie left to be made would have to revolve around the "Castle of death" plot (everything else that Fleming wrote has been put on screen).
So, in a way, yes, "Fleming wrote" is something that is becoming less and less relevant for current Bond movies.
Not that I'm happy nor sad about it; it's just plain fact. Fleming is Bond's father, but Bond has now reached the age when he can pretty much take care of himself and be quite independant. And, for instance, grow a beard! :D

#46 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

What are you all smoking? You can't have a voluntarily bearded James Bond. The only time that the character should sport any facial hair is when emerging from a period of captivity, e.g. in DIE ANOTHER DAY. End of discussion.

Why not? I didn't know there was a law that Bond could not wear a beard, unless in long term captivity.