45 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

A rarity from my own collection that I think you cats will enjoy.

http://www.thebookbo...arded-bond.html

#2 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

Wow, that's awesome! He definitely should have kept the beard for the actual film. I'm sure it would have cut down on a lot of the "looks too wet behind the ears" criticisms leveled at Brosnan over "GE".

Thanks for posting this, zen. :tup:

#3 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

Yes, the subtle use of the publicity shot from Brosnan's unveiling works well.

The beard gives Broz a mature worldly gravitas that some might say was missing from his fresh-faced, Dynasty-boufanted look in the final film

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:14 PM

I thInk Brosnan could have had such a beard during a whole film, it really adds to his appeal.

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:33 PM

That GoldenEye logo is interesting. I remember a similar (although closer to the final one) appearing at the big launch press conference they had at Leavesden.

#6 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

Brosnan didn't have a close shave in Goldeneye, contrary to the three others films he played Bond. It gave him a more bestial look I think.

#7 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:02 PM

What are you all smoking? You can't have a voluntarily bearded James Bond. The only time that the character should sport any facial hair is when emerging from a period of captivity, e.g. in DIE ANOTHER DAY. End of discussion. :)

#8 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

That GoldenEye logo is interesting. I remember a similar (although closer to the final one) appearing at the big launch press conference they had at Leavesden.

Yeah, it was much the same as the final design, but the 'eye' leant backwards, like on that book cover.

#9 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

Yeah, it was much the same as the final design, but the 'eye' leant backwards, like on that book cover.

It was also used in the 1996 callendar.

Posted Image

#10 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

What are you all smoking? You can't have a voluntarily bearded James Bond. The only time that the character should sport any facial hair is when emerging from a period of captivity, e.g. in DIE ANOTHER DAY. End of discussion. :)

Thank you! :tup: :tup:

#11 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:58 AM

Exactly. I was beginning to wonder if somehow April 1 had rolled 'round again.

#12 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:04 AM

Very interesting little article. I've seen that photo (or similar photos) of Brosnan before, but I didn't know that particular one was his first official publicity shot as Bond.

Brosnan didn't have a close shave in Goldeneye, contrary to the three others films he played Bond. It gave him a more bestial look I think.

I agree that it gave him a look w/ more of an edge compared to his more slicked-back, fresh-faced look in TWINE and DAD.

#13 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:55 AM

I really think it could have worked for a film, provided it was cover and/or due to circumstances of the assignment. Somewhere I read a fanfic picturing a bearded Lazenby-Bond in a follow-up to his film and I have to admit that while a most uncommon image I could see it at the time. Brosnan would in my opinion have profitted from an edgier look in GE.

#14 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

Completely disagree.
Who's to say Bond shouldn't be bearded? That's exactly the same thing as crying out loud because Craig is not dark-haired! To me, this is sheer rubbish.
Either something looks great on someone, or not. In this case, I think the beard does give a more "mature / edgy" touch to Broz's face. It could have worked pretty well.

#15 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

Completely disagree.
Who's to say Bond shouldn't be bearded? That's exactly the same thing as crying out loud because Craig is not dark-haired! To me, this is sheer rubbish.
Either something looks great on someone, or not. In this case, I think the beard does give a more "mature / edgy" touch to Broz's face. It could have worked pretty well.

Have to say I totally agree with Messery's sentiments.

And wouldn't it have been impactful in every sense if the prettiest of all the Bonds - Brosnan - who had been pilloried through has career as just another non-emoting, male-model pretty boy, had appeared in Goldeneye with that bearded look?

If knackered looking blond shorty Craig can rock the fans with his rebooted Bond, imagine what a rugged, bearded Brosnan might have done.

#16 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

If knackered looking blond shorty Craig can rock the fans with his rebooted Bond, imagine what a rugged, bearded Brosnan might have done.

Whilst there is nothing but convention that stops Bond from having a beard I doubt it would have worked back in '95. People wanted to see the return of the classic cinematic Bond, complete with all the familiar elements and a beard would have interfered with this. I didn't like that shot when it was released and couldn't wait to see how would Brosnan would actually look in the film.

#17 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

Whilst there is nothing but convention that stops Bond from having a beard I doubt it would have worked back in '95. People wanted to see the return of the classic cinematic Bond, complete with all the familiar elements and a beard would have interfered with this. I didn't like that shot when it was released and couldn't wait to see how would Brosnan would actually look in the film.

Exactly.

#18 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

Completely disagree.
Who's to say Bond shouldn't be bearded?

Fleming might have somehting to say about it. One of the bees in M's bonnet was men with beards. I doubt that he'd have trusted 007 as much if he'd been bearded.

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:50 PM

Completely disagree.

Fleming might have somehting to say about it. One of the bees in M's bonnet was men with beards. I doubt that he'd have trusted 007 as much if he'd been bearded.

And didn't Cubby object to Lazenby's beard at the OHMSS premiere?

Get a haircut, hippy!

#20 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

One of the bees in M's bonnet was men with beards. I doubt that he'd have trusted 007 as much if he'd been bearded.

M doesn't trust Bond even when he hasn't got a beard these days.

#21 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

Completely disagree.

Fleming wasn't a particularly hairy guy and supposedly envied those with more hair than he had got himself. Prior to meeting Connery at the set of Doctor No the crew was afraid Fleming'd be terribly envious of Connery's hirsute forearms and warned Connery about it. Apparently everything went well and Connery later laughed about the story.

But Fleming gave an early glimpse of his/M's angry refusal of hair at places where it didn't belong in his view. In LALD M inspects Bond's recent plastic surgery to remove the SMERSH mark from the back of Bond's hand. He asks where the new skin was taken from and once hearing it was coming from high up on Bond's forearm remarks

"Hairs'll grow a bit thick. Crooked, too. However, can't be helped. Looks all right for the time being."

Indicating that M intends to send Bond again under the knife if he decides the hairs have grown too thick.

Edited by Dustin, 04 July 2011 - 05:17 PM.

#22 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

Completely disagree.

Get a haircut, hippy!

Yeah, he probably did, the controlling insecure old bugger.

I'd have happily accepted Lazenby in DAF with long hair, loon-pants, a shawl and smoking a [censored]ing reefer rather than that fat knacker Connery that was employed for it. ;)

#23 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:10 PM

When you say your collection Zencat, do you mean you were sent an early proof copy?

#24 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

Brosnan looks good with a beard. I suspect the same would be true for most of the Bonds.

Interesting that for such a masculine character, Bond is supposed to have a face bald as a baby's bottom. But not a surprise given that when Fleming created the character facial hair was out of style, and the story someone else posted about Fleming's insecurities wouldn't surprise me either.

That said, a secret agent should sport whatever look makes the most sense for the job. And if dealing with Soviet bloc (or Middle Eastern) countries, it would only make sense to wear some kind of facial hair, while clean-shaven would be more acceptable in the heavily Romanized West.

But I don't want to set off another realistic Bond versus fantastic Bond debate. :) Although if realism wasn't an issue, bearded Bond would probably win. :D

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

When you say your collection Zencat, do you mean you were sent an early proof copy?

It's not the full book, just a proof cover. Single sheet front and back. I also have a varient DAD cover proof.

#26 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

It's not the full book, just a proof cover. Single sheet front and back. I also have a varient DAD cover proof.

I think your collection is more of a library you have so many gems in it! Did he have a beard in the DAD cover proof?

#27 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

There's a difference between a big beard and a stubble beard. We don't talk about ZZ top as Bond, let's be serious, but don't you still feel Bond vibes from them for instance ?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Timothy looks almost better like that for being Bond, to me at least.

#28 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:04 AM

There's a difference between a big beard and a stubble beard. We don't talk about ZZ top as Bond, let's be serious, but don't you still feel Bond vibes from them for instance ?

Brosnan looks okay, Craig and Dalton like they've just crawled out of a skip after a big night on the booze.

#29 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

Completely disagree.

I was expecting this "Fleming wrote" issue... ;)
OK then, so Bond must be a heavy smoker and a heavy drinker, must have a scar on his cheek, must drive a Bentley, must mostly dress in dark blue suits, must be patronizing, etc. But I seem to remember the majority on these Forums don't want him to chain smoke, wouldn't want him to have a scar on his face, etc.
I could be fine by this "let's stick to Fleming", but only as far as we really do. It's too convenient to pick only bits and pieces deemed suitable...

I actually think that it could be very interesting to start a dedicated thread on whether or not "Fleming wrote" is still relevant nowadays.

#30 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Completely disagree.

Get a haircut, hippy!

As Ian Fleming's lineage of James Bond suggests, he was recruited to the British Secret sevice from the Royal Navy. Therefore beards were forbidden (In SPITE of what was portrayed by actors aboard HMS Ranger in TSWLM.)

Edited by Miles Miservy, 05 July 2011 - 02:22 PM.